English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 09 October 2001, 16:53   #1
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Question Favourite developers/programming teams??

I hope noone has asked this thread in the near past, but my apologies if there is. I'd been curious recently about the fate of several developers that used to be commonplace years ago on both Commodore 64 & Amiga & whom would regulary be interviewed, previewed or mentioned in Zzap features, or in The One magazine.

Although there's the odd developer/programmer who still exists today, many famous past names have seemingly vanished. So in dedication to them I thought to name a few I enjoyed on the Commodore scene,(C64 & Amiga).

I was inspired for this posting after reading about the fate of Graftgold software as detailed by Steve Turner himself. See for yourself at http://www.graftgold.com

Although I'll admit to not having played too many of his games with such a superb effort with Rainbow Islands, Andrew BrayBrook & Graftgold are one team that deserve mentioning...

Others I remember/enjoyed were...
Sensible Software
Archer Maclean
Manfred Trenz/Factor 5
Al Lowe
Vivid Image
Chris Butler (C64)
I'm sure there's some more I'll have forgotten for now, but I'll undoubtedly think of some more. Sometime's they may not have used the machine to create new,great techincal standards, the games could generally be regarded as innovative, original, & playable.
Old 09 October 2001, 18:16   #2
LaundroMat

Glad you asked

The question "What ever happened to Sensi Software?" always lingered in the back of my mind, but I never really looked something up. Here's something big (for me, anyway) : Sensi was bought by Codemasters. This link will give you a good idea of what they're at now.

Update: well, it won't give you a good idea, as - as the site admits - it's all rumormill stuff
Old 09 October 2001, 19:27   #3
Amiga1992

Andrew Braybrook was surely one of the GODS of Amiga games programming. I love ALL of his games, specially Uridium 2

Team 17, Bitmap Brothers, Sensible Software, Factor 5 and DMA Design are the other ones I find great. Oh, and John Twiddy!

Talking about Twiddy! Does anyone know how to contact him? He programmed Putty Suqad and *might* have an original copy...
Old 10 October 2001, 05:49   #4
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Great site Laundromat!!!!

I do miss Sensible Software a lot, I love their games.... it's really weird to see some companies disapearing or getting small.

Team 17 was the MAIN euro-publisher between 1993-1995. Nowadays they don't even publish their own games...

Core Design went Eidos. Ocean went Infogrames.
Where's Thalion? Where's Gremlin Graphics?

Bitmap Brothers is nearly unknown these days (They were legends back in their times).

Factor 5 is making console games, being published under the Lucas Arts label. I HEARD (and I repeat, HEARD) they were doing a new sequel for Turrican.

And of course, Graftgold too.... hope this rumour about they getting back for GBA is true...
Old 10 October 2001, 06:23   #5
Amigaboy

The sequel to Turrican (Turrican 3D) was scrapped. I also only HEARD this. I repeat. HEARD!

Old 10 October 2001, 19:54   #6
Amiga1992

Factor 5 were doing a pseudo-sequel to Turrican called Thornado (or something like that). They cant call it Turrican because Rainbow Arts hold the rights to the name. Rainbow Arts, I HEARD were planning doing a prper 2D sequel of Turrican.

As for Gremlin, I think back then it got bought by Ocean, who got bought by Infogrames, or some such nonsense.. it's been swallowed by at least two companies for sure.
Old 12 October 2001, 06:13   #7
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Yeah, Thornado, exact... and I saw this in the oficial Factor 5 site, ages ago, so it indeed was official. Dunno if it's ever going to make it anyway.

I know probably no one can answer this question, but why Factor 5 and Rainbow Arts doesn't team up one more time for a new Turrican game ?
Old 12 October 2001, 08:29   #8
Puzzle

Thalion

Thalion got closed down some time after programming Lionheart, I think. Can't be sure, though.

Check out http://thalion.amiga.org or http://thalion.atari.org for loads of info about Thalion, their employees, their games (downloadable, even), and game-music.
Old 12 October 2001, 09:54   #9
RetroMan

My fav will allways be Al Lowe for his great Larry series even it is only some kind of adventure, it features great ideas (some are of a sick mind I guess :laugh ) and a smooth story line .....
Old 12 October 2001, 13:22   #10
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Thumbs up

Yes Retroman, that's the sort of thing I agree with-
Taking Al Lowe as an example, he may not have seen an Amiga in his life much less program one, his idea's & general off-beat humour is the sort point I'm trying to make.

I'm not saying all modern games are bad-indeed-the Resident Evil series for example is a great example of modern game design to my mind,(or Final Fantasy too). But these rare sort of "stand out" games seem all the rarer today-when I think of some of the teams on the Commodore machines, it just seems so amazing how such talent wasn't supported by the publishers-such a waste.
Old 12 October 2001, 14:13   #11
LaundroMat

Bitmap Brothers

Quote:
Originally posted by Shatterhand

Bitmap Brothers is nearly unknown these days (They were legends back in their times).
There was a newspost at Voodoo Extreme a while ago, about Speedball Arena, an online Speedball event. Maybe the Bitmap Brothers' site will help.

(In short: they're still alive and kicking. And also porting to the GBA. A machine, which I think, could become the 'scene-machine' of choice sometime in the future (similar to the Amiga in its haydays. Open architecture, easy to develop for, fixed hardware, i.e. great to show off what you can do with it, etc. My guess is that it's Nintendo's strategy to enable people with limited means (ie no megacorporations) to develop games and other stuff, and through that inject some new blood in the games industry)
Old 12 October 2001, 17:33   #12
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

I know Bitmap Brothers is still around, but they went from "legend" to become "some guys who made a weird futuristic sports game"

I agree 100% with what you say about the GBA. I always hated most politics of Nintendo, but they made a big hit this time around.

I always thought that one day we all would go back to oldschool somehow and leave behind all this 3D shit... and the GBA is the machine for it right now.
Old 12 October 2001, 18:12   #13
Amiga1992

Re: Bitmap Brothers

Quote:
Originally posted by LaundroMat
My guess is that it's Nintendo's strategy to enable people with limited means (ie no megacorporations) to develop games and other stuff, and through that inject some new blood in the games industry
hey did the same with the GBC. Why do you think old demogroups like Abyss coded for it?
Old 13 October 2001, 20:39   #14
gusddm

Big grin My favourites...

Digital Concept (Jim Power! ) , Psygnosis, Team 17, LucasFilm , Sensible Software, Delphine Software , Thalion....

Old 15 October 2001, 07:42   #15
Vicked

Hey I dont know why these guys haven't been mentioned yet, but in my mind they are classic game developers

Cinemaware, they made awesome games like Wings, It Came From the Desert and Defender of the Crown. They were gone for awhile but now they are back remaking their classics at www.cinemaware.com

They went down in the early 1990's because they ignored the mega drive and went for NEC's machine. There is an interesting interview at

http://www.justadventure.com/Intervi...Interview.shtm

Old 15 October 2001, 07:48   #16
Amigaboy

The new Cinemaware have nothing to do with the old Cinemaware. They're capitalising on a name

The old Cinemaware rule. The new are good, but I can't consider them as favourites

Old 26 September 2005, 23:07   #17
Bitmap Brother

I didn't mean to re-open this thread, but I thought i'd have to as I really wanted to share who my favourites were.

For me, the best would have to be:

The Bitmap Brothers & Bullfrog

They both came out with some of my favourite games of all time. Which are:

From The Bitmap Brothers:
(In no special order)

Speedball 2
Xenon 2
Magic Pockets

From Bullfrog:
(In no special order)

Populous 1 & 2
Flood
Old 27 September 2005, 20:01   #18
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Bitmap Brothers are great indeed, but I would favour Gods & the Chaos Engine. Bullfrog were responsible for Syndicate, Theme Park and Magic Carpet (okay not an Amiga game), three games I played to death.

So yes, I would agree with you that those were my favourite game development companies that were actively developing for Commodore hardware

(my alltime favourite development company would have to be Looking Glass Studios, of Ultima Underworld, System Shock and Thief fame which are among the best games ever made (IMO of course)).
Old 28 September 2005, 02:45   #19
ChrisBrownUK
Ex-A500, A1200 & CD32

My vote definitely goes to Cinemaware - not just for the usual games that people remember (Wings/Defender/Desert) but also for their TV Sports games. IMHO, EA's Madden series owes a lot to TV Sports Football, shame the sequel was canned.
Old 04 December 2005, 17:44   #20
SWOS

Sensible Software then Team 17..