English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 19 December 2022, 12:22   #41
Daedalus

OS5 was a part of the vague Amiga roadmap back in Bill McEwen / Fleecy Moss times, when the plan for OS4 was first announced. The idea was that OS4 would start by transitioning the OS away from the obsolete classic hardware, making it more hardware agnostic, then OS5 would take that further and make it completely CPU agnostic by using some sort of low-level virtual machine setup. Unlike OS4, I don't think anyone really took the OS5 concept seriously or thought it was anything other than dotcom fantasy waffle.

What relevance that has here is a complete mystery though...
Old 19 December 2022, 13:13   #42
Bruce Abbott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
The idea was that OS4 would start by transitioning the OS away from the obsolete classic hardware, making it more hardware agnostic, then OS5 would take that further and make it completely CPU agnostic
Well that's a bit silly. The OS is already hardware agnostic.
Old 20 December 2022, 16:07   #43
ImmortalA1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Abbott View Post
Correct. Why do think that's funny?
Because people were calling PPC based things that needed an emulator to run Marble Madness an "Amiga" and that made me laugh back then because it really wasn't much different to running WinUAE on a Dell PC.
Old 20 December 2022, 16:28   #44
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalA1000 View Post
Because people were calling PPC based things that needed an emulator to run Marble Madness an "Amiga" and that made me laugh back then because it really wasn't much different to running WinUAE on a Dell PC.
Those were the dark times, really. Made you ashamed admitting you were still an Amiga fan.

How good we have it now.
Unbelievable.
Old 21 December 2022, 16:25   #45
Daedalus

The intention of OS4 was never compatibility with hardware-banging programs such as games like Marble Madness, hence the need for an emulator. Clearly, if all you want to do is play games that are hard-coded for 30-year-old hardware then OS4 isn't for you and you'd be a fool to think otherwise.
Old 21 December 2022, 16:36   #46
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Abbott View Post
The OS is already hardware agnostic.
AmigaOS 4.0+?
Old 22 December 2022, 23:12   #47
Photon

I'll respond 12 years since my last reply to this thread to share a truth I've coined which is universal:

"A platform is as alive as the amount of new software coming out for it."

You can find this in budding and new platforms, platforms in their heyday (when they could sell hardware platform from it), and in platforms abandoned or disregarded by the many -- however you view it, it remains true.

Updates? You don't care about those. Nobody does. Just new software.

This asks a pertinent (which means offensive and obnoxious, as always) question: Are you supporting new software for your favorite platform, to keep it alive?

There is no bigger question, either.
Old 23 December 2022, 18:04   #48
Weasel Fierce

I suspect a sizeable portion of the community has "fiddling with old motherboards" as their actual hobby and rarely or never boots up any piece of software.

Retrocomputing is 3 or 4 hobbies combined into one.
Old 24 December 2022, 21:32   #49
cookieninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
OS5 was a part of the vague Amiga roadmap back in Bill McEwen / Fleecy Moss times, when the plan for OS4 was first announced. The idea was that OS4 would start by transitioning the OS away from the obsolete classic hardware, making it more hardware agnostic, then OS5 would take that further and make it completely CPU agnostic by using some sort of low-level virtual machine setup. Unlike OS4, I don't think anyone really took the OS5 concept seriously or thought it was anything other than dotcom fantasy waffle.

What relevance that has here is a complete mystery though...

It's still, possibly, an interesting idea. and perhaps we are part of the way there with the Pi storm? Currently it's a bare metal CPU emulator, could it not be extended to become fully independent of the Amiga as a bare metal emulator of the whole machine? One that could be ported to other CPUs like x86

As for the original who owns Amiga question, that always seems feel a little Spartacus. I own it, says one person. No, own it says another etc etc etc
Old 25 December 2022, 05:36   #50
Weasel Fierce

I guess does it even matter?

Morph OS, OS4 and AROS are doing their thing, now we got 3.2 and presumably beyond.