English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 26 April 2008, 01:49   #81
Ray Norrish

@mungo : That made me laugh! Nice one
Old 27 June 2008, 08:46   #82
kuji

Playing "root the american .mil systems" one by one..... oh the days...

;-)

good to find this place.. I dont feel so alone when talking about the old days now!

Old 27 June 2008, 15:27   #83
PWLM
He found it at the zoo..

Changed startup-sequences in som egames (like Test Drive 2) to reflect my highscore and rile up the next player. No one else played...

Reset the switch arms in my arcade stick so I could play easier...

My brother gets a mention here too, he had a voice emu on his CPC6128 and changed the code so if you typed in a swear-word, it told you off!
Old 02 July 2008, 15:33   #84
KTC
Registered WHDLoad User

I did alot of hex editing with Deksid. Some simple text replacements in various games and programs and I even attempted to translate entire programs to danish. I think I managed to complete a translation of Deluxe Paint IV, and the biggest challenge was to find danish words that could fit the length of the english ones.
Deksid was also used to search for cheat codes and other stuff in my games. Sometimes the data was lightly encrypted and I would spend hours to decipher the information.

I cracked a couple of my original games because I always misplaced the code sheets. I also messed around with the Workbench a lot and created my own icons, pointers, sounds and stuff like that. Then I did some quite complex scripting in Directory Opus.

Some real programming were done too, and among others made a tool to merge the highscore data from Slamtilt with the datafiles from my friends.

I remember when I had an Amstrad CPC464 and my friend told me about the Amiga and the great fade effects some games used. I tried to recreate those on the Amstrad, and, at least on my green color monitor, it looked cool

Once I made a backup of my harddrive to floppies. I think I managed to fill about 200 disks and then realised that even a single crc error could destroy the whole backup.

Oh yeah, I also went seriously geeky on some games. For example I calculated how to visit all 256 (I think) rooms from the toilet in Wizkid and skipped school for several days to map them all out. I found a sound check room, an Asteroids type game and several messages.
Sometimes I would also try to decipher password codes from games, so I could give myself more lives and stuff like that.

Apart from the simple text replacements, I also messed around with my own sound samples and graphics for games, and I've made several remixes of modules with fart noises and other silly stuff. Great fun

I once made a hardware modification on my joystick to defeat the "rolling up hill in a wheelchair stage" in Roll or Die. In short I put autofire modules on the left and right directions to simulate a very fast wriggle of the stick. Sadly either the stage is undefeatable, or else my autofire modules failed to keep up a proper pace.

Sorry this got a little lengthy, but the nostalgia took me over. This stuff is just some of the things I've been messing with on the Amiga. I will spare you the PC and Xbox stuff - Amiga is much more interesting anyway

Last edited by KTC; 02 July 2008 at 15:54. Reason: Adding a little stuff