English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 09 September 2009, 17:25   #1
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Thumbs up INCREDIBLE what some 14-year-olds had coded on the Amiga!

Now this rocks, huh?
Just popped into my eye while browsing Youtube because of something else...

[ Show youtube player ]

[ Show youtube player ]

Soft scrolling in hyperspeed as in Tearaway Thomas or Zool 2!!

Old 09 September 2009, 18:46   #2
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

its pretty impressive!

how long ago was this?
Old 09 September 2009, 19:00   #3
andreas
Zone Friend

well he reveals on his channel that he's 25, so it must have been 11 years ago (1998), i. e. a "post-heyday Amigan"
Old 09 September 2009, 19:53   #4
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreas View Post
Now this rocks, huh?
Not really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreas View Post
Soft scrolling in hyperspeed as in Tearaway Thomas or Zool 2!!
Yeah, almost... Only that that there is almost nothing on screen. And horizontal scrolling isn't exactly hard to achieve on Amiga. Definitely not bad for a 14 year old but nothing to write home about either.
Old 09 September 2009, 20:30   #5
andreas
Zone Friend

C'mon, give the guy a break.
I know it's not Turrican

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
And horizontal scrolling isn't exactly hard to achieve on Amiga.
Maybe, but consider the helluva lot of commercial (!) games with rather jittery H-scrolling (beside those top-notch ones that scroll as smoothly as a baby's bottom)
Let alone the fact that the games I linked do not only scroll horizontally, but vertically too!

Last edited by andreas; 09 September 2009 at 20:36.
Old 09 September 2009, 20:30   #6
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Just 14 considering how much work for Game design, Graphics ,Game Data and then the Engine
- Very impressive for anyone
Anyone contacted this Guy?
Old 09 September 2009, 20:42   #7
andreas
Zone Friend

Not me at least.
And I'll probably leave it that way for the time being, considering that he already got dozens of e-mails asking him for the game disk and he may already be annoyed by that

So I'm gonna leave it all to you guys. ^^
Old 09 September 2009, 21:12   #8
Photon

What is impressive is to make a whole game and finish it! Even though 50fps scrolling was perfectly possible on the A1000, few games had it - partly due to the state of the art, partly due to 6-month contracts and partly because many games had more stuff moving about on-screen.

But even if it's probably running on an AGA Amiga with accelerator, there's quite a bit of code and work to do such a thing... enemy handling, collision detection, level editing... and at an early age like 14, not very many have the necessary programming skills.

Sad that he won't release it, if he want to keep it to polish it before a proper release, he could at least release a "preview" - just in case the proper never gets completed
Old 09 September 2009, 22:13   #9
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon View Post
What is impressive is to make a whole game and finish it!
I wonder where you guys see the game here? All I see is some sort of horizontal scrolling demo that can hardly be called game IMHO.

Quote:
Sad that he won't release it, if he want to keep it to polish it before a proper release, he could at least release a "preview" - just in case the proper never gets completed
I somehow doubt that he feels like "polishing" something he made more than a decade ago.
Old 09 September 2009, 23:43   #10
Jherek Carnelia
Dazed and Confused

Well I'm impressed.

I didn't have what it takes to do that at 14. Maybe he's done nothing since. So what?

At 14 that was an impressive achievement - nothing goundbreaking for sure - but it shows a maturity that many never achieve.

Well done, I say
Old 10 September 2009, 13:04   #11
Marcuz

i like a lot the graphic (except the main sprite), the music and sounds and the scrolling. if it was a game too, with few tweaking, possibly, it would be very good a game, imho, no matter how if the programming was just of medium level and the feeling of ancient games.

as for retroplaying goes, that looks great.
Old 10 September 2009, 23:14   #12
extralife

lol come on stingray! shooting down a 14 year old upcomming coder hero like that u surely show no mercy
Old 11 September 2009, 12:26   #13
wilshy

Quote:

Sad that he won't release it,
Not really. While yes, mildly impressive that a 14 year old did something like this, it doesn't exactly look like a game we need on the Amiga.

Run run run, jump a couple of enemies, run run run. Zzzzzz.
Old 11 September 2009, 17:03   #14
Graham Humphrey

I would quite like to play it just out of curiosity really. I think it's really very impressive how someone can put something together like that at such a young age. There can't be too many people who can do that at 14.
Old 11 September 2009, 17:33   #15
AB Positive
kachou ON!

Hell, I'm struggling to do even half of that at 27. Thumbs up my man!
Old 12 September 2009, 00:38   #16
twizzle

from a 14yr old i`d say that was pretty impressive ,
the game play reminds me of titus the fox
Old 13 September 2009, 20:02   #17
Boom^

Thats really awesome. I made some games on the amiga too when i was 14 and that looks a lot better than what I managed to come up with!
Old 13 September 2009, 21:08   #18
Photon

Quote:
I wonder where you guys see the game here? All I see is some sort of horizontal scrolling demo that can hardly be called game IMHO.
Well, he's done a very large part of all the things needed to do a "real" game, as I explained. Megaman series speedruns also look like demos since the expert just slips by enemies that took 5 extralives off a normal player.

The game has physics, ground (and walls and ... simply, map) detection, enemies with energy"meters", end of level bosses, powerups including 3 different kinds of protection (including the submarine in the water level) and hidden extralives, moving platforms, (ugly) bonus tally screens, event music... my point was that it takes patience to code that, rare in 14yo's, and much, much rarer in 37yo's

Only needs a little more variation, nice graphics and polish to be a Megaman, Sonic, Metroid... take your pick. It already has more gameplay than SOTB and the majority of the platformers for Amiga were pretty fucking drab...

Quote:

I somehow doubt that he feels like "polishing" something he made more than a decade ago.
He says he works in the game industry today and doesn't have the energy to code in the evenings, so he probably won't. But you say it like he would be insane to want to code Amiga again or at least throw out everything he coded back then, since he is much better at coding assembler nowadays when his brain is older and he's coded modern games in high level languages...? pf.

Now, as a reality check, he seems to have a decent beefy AGA Amiga, and it still... umm doesn't look and sound so good, it even stutters at times. So if you accuse him of not coding so great when he was 14, well...

I still maintain (see topic) it's strong by a 14yo to have the stamina, he probably drew, edited, converted all the (ok crappish) graphics himself on top of the coding, and he didn't go to a proper workplace with colleagues helping him, but probably spent evenings and holidays in his bedroom because he was turned on by his Amiga.

If he used a finished framework with level editors etc, it would be tons easier ofc. I'm assuming assembler now.
Old 13 September 2009, 23:07   #19
8bitbubsy

Quote:
Gah! What do you call pong? A 1 bit graphics depth, one bitplane DEMO with a bouncing and filled rectangle?
Actually, that game looked fun! The levels could've been longer, but this is really impressive considering his age when he made it. Fine, the graphics was a bit lame, but it takes much to be a hero in gfx, sfx AND coding...
No need to be arrogant StingRay, you might be good in programming (), but that just due to your addictiveness to the Amiga
Old 13 September 2009, 23:22   #20
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Only needs a little more variation, nice graphics and polish to be a Megaman, Sonic, Metroid... take your pick. It already has more gameplay than SOTB and the majority of the platformers for Amiga were pretty fucking drab...
TBH it looks quite mediocre Surely a really nice effort for a 14/15 year old 'one man show', but nothing I'd drool over.