English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 18 March 2014, 17:39   #661
crasbe

You know, that the FPGA on the Zeus68k isn't a BGA one?

So your quote is quite useless if you ask me...

mr.vince: you know the german regulations and you probably know, that you can use lead in your products, unless you don't violate a certain limit.

The mayor problem is, that leaded and unleaded solder have different melting temperatures. When the leaded solder of the BGA FPGA is already molten, the unleaded solder doesn't even think about melting, so you won't get proper joints.
Old 18 March 2014, 18:30   #662
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by crasbe View Post

So tell me which one it is and i'll find a price, i am trying to help out, not be negative
Old 18 March 2014, 18:57   #663
Jeff_HxC2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by crasbe View Post

mr.vince: you know the german regulations and you probably know, that you can use lead in your products, unless you don't violate a certain limit.

The mayor problem is, that leaded and unleaded solder have different melting temperatures. When the leaded solder of the BGA FPGA is already molten, the unleaded solder doesn't even think about melting, so you won't get proper joints.
Nobody can take this risk in EU, and on many others places too... The customs may use this kind of kit to test the suspect hardware :
http://lead-testing-kits-review.toptenreviews.com/
http://www.gen3systems.com/viewprod-MUST_KITS.php

If positive : ->BIG ISSUE FOR YOU<-

All these parts cannot be used anymore and that's why these prices are so low...

Last edited by Jeff_HxC2001; 18 March 2014 at 19:03.
Old 18 March 2014, 20:11   #664
mr.vince
Cheesy crust

Law put aside. We all have children by now. We do not plan to produce hardware that is made by children or will pollute the environment. These two things matter to us.

Yes, our retro hardware is full of lead, flame retardant bromides and other stuff. But it does not mean we have to continue like this.

We put our money where our mouth is. We pay for WEEE recycling. We have a WEEE registration and it feels good. Yes, it is more expensive. But if we do not start making such decisions, who will?

We recently started producing floppy cables in China and we asked them to certify that they do not work with children and that their components meet RoHS requirements.

If anyone here is looking for the cheapest product possible, made with child labour and by polluting the environment, the you are not the right backer for us and the Zeus68k is not the right product for you.

I am not saying we are perfect. But I can still watch myself in the mirror without being ashamed.

I will check whatever someone has to offer, but we stick to RoHS2 and the Zeus even being tested for CE compliance (EMF).
Old 18 March 2014, 23:06   #665
Loedown
Precious & fragile things

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.vince View Post
Law put aside. We all have children by now. We do not plan to produce hardware that is made by children or will pollute the environment. These two things matter to us.

Yes, our retro hardware is full of lead, flame retardant bromides and other stuff. But it does not mean we have to continue like this.

We put our money where our mouth is. We pay for WEEE recycling. We have a WEEE registration and it feels good. Yes, it is more expensive. But if we do not start making such decisions, who will?

We recently started producing floppy cables in China and we asked them to certify that they do not work with children and that their components meet RoHS requirements.

If anyone here is looking for the cheapest product possible, made with child labour and by polluting the environment, the you are not the right backer for us and the Zeus68k is not the right product for you.

I am not saying we are perfect. But I can still watch myself in the mirror without being ashamed.

I will check whatever someone has to offer, but we stick to RoHS2 and the Zeus even being tested for CE compliance (EMF).
@Crasbe: There are several differences between lead soldering and unleaded soldering, mixing technologies on a board would be difficult to say the least. Go look up JEDEC Soldering Profiles / reflow curves.

@Mr. Vince: I appreciate the stance you have taken on this, responsible construction and as environmentally friendly as possible.
Old 19 March 2014, 12:25   #666
Lord Aga
MI clan prevails

Most excellent decision mr.vince
I like to see Amiga going green.
Old 19 March 2014, 18:52   #667
1time
Amiga Lover

Mr.vince. Excellent product!
Old 19 March 2014, 20:38   #668
crasbe

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper2k View Post
So tell me which one it is and i'll find a price, i am trying to help out, not be negative

XC3S500E-4PQF208C

There you go.
Old 20 March 2014, 22:54   #669
Omolungo

@ Mr. Vince

Did you test Zeus68K also in a CDTV?
Old 21 March 2014, 07:36   #670
mr.vince
Cheesy crust

We have a CDTV in the lab just for testing Zeus68k, and also tested with A570.

Yes, we can DMA!
Old 21 March 2014, 08:21   #671
johey

What license will the core be? If it is a free license without any restrictions (other than optional requirement of keeping the same license), then I'm in for one up to EUR 300 incl VAT.

If no children is harmed during production it is a big plus.

Edit: About the "Yes, we can DMA!" statement... You mean the IDE controller has DMA? If so, this is the only IDE controller with that feature as I know of for any Amiga Classic. I've only one word to say about it: awesome!

Last edited by johey; 21 March 2014 at 08:41.
Old 21 March 2014, 10:14   #672
mr.vince
Cheesy crust

Not sure... We'd (for a start) like to restrict commercial use. No one here has the intention of putting money into this and then see someone else making cheap cloneboards elsewhere and just taking some GPLed core sources.

As for DMA... we support GAYLE A600 "emulation", as well as AT-BUS2008 ROM.

I was addressing CDTV DMA... yes, we can work with that.
Old 21 March 2014, 15:09   #673
svin83
Meditating Guru

Is the Zeus68k tested/expected to work in an A500 with the DKB Megachip?
Old 21 March 2014, 15:49   #674
mr.vince
Cheesy crust

Depends on how the Megachip adds his own memory, it has not been tested yet.
Old 21 March 2014, 19:19   #675
Omolungo

Great, so the Zeus is CDTV compatible: does the case close properly with the Zeus installed?

And is there the need to change position to a capacitor? I remember you talked about something similar in the first pages of this thread.

Just another question about memory: Zeus68K addresses only fast ram or also chip ram? I'm asking it because the CDTV has only 1 MB chip ram and don't know if it is sufficient for whdload
Old 21 March 2014, 20:02   #676
mr.vince
Cheesy crust

We can not add chipmem as it is outside exclusive control of the CPU...
Old 21 March 2014, 20:27   #677
utri007
mä vaan

Could you please tell estimated target price?
Old 21 March 2014, 20:37   #678
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.vince View Post
So, to quote myself:

The final price will likely be between EUR 250.- and EUR 300.-. Quantity and currency conversion will decide about the final price. The amount of original ROMs included (Kickstarts, AR3, AT2008) will also make a difference.
There you go.
Old 23 March 2014, 10:49   #679
johey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omolungo View Post
1 MB chip ram and don't know if it is sufficient for whdload
It is. Whdload itself doesn't consume much chip ram, leaving you with most of your 1 MB for your games. Very few OCS games if any requires more than 0.5 MB chip.
Old 23 March 2014, 11:22   #680
fgh

Many OCS/ECS whdload games require more than 0,5 chip, quite a few require 1 mb and some even a bit more. (Link)

With only one mb chip at least many games cannot be run from workbench, you'll need a low memory startup or boot w/o startup-sequence.