English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 08 April 2016, 00:19   #221
Jeff_HxC2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by turrican9 View Post
Edit2: Found some info that the original HXC floppy (not Gotek with HXC firmware)
Both can support this (SD HxC and HxC-Gotek).

Quote:
Edit2: Found some info that the original HXC floppy (not Gotek with HXC firmware)
emulators could assign upto 250 slots on the Amiga. This is still far from the 999 on the Gotek Cortex but much better than only 15 slots for the HXC Gotek. But even 250 slots is not enough for me at least.
A question : How many time are you spending to setup/assign 999 images ? This seems totally crazy to me .
I also wonder how many time and memory it take to load the 1000 file entries to the memory (all of this through the slow floppy interface...).

Anyway if this is really needed i can change the file selector to support 999 files.
But this sound not very practical and in this case i recommend you the LCD+button add-on .
Old 08 April 2016, 16:40   #222
turrican9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_HxC2001 View Post
Both can support this (SD HxC and HxC-Gotek).

A question : How many time are you spending to setup/assign 999 images ? This seems totally crazy to me .
I also wonder how many time and memory it take to load the 1000 file entries to the memory (all of this through the slow floppy interface...).

Anyway if this is really needed i can change the file selector to support 999 files.
But this sound not very practical and in this case i recommend you the LCD+button add-on .
It took me probably an hour to assign over 500 ADFs on my Gotek. I then made a list in word (I didn't need to write each ADF, I had all the ADFs I wanted in a folder and just copied their filenames and pasted them in a word document and then activated numbering) which shows what ADF is in which slot. They are also alphabetical sorted so it's not hard to use the list. I printed out this list and find it very practical. On the Gotek when you hold the forward/backwards buttons it starts to count really fast. So going to a certain slot does not take many seconds. Having most of the good/known ADFs assigned to slots is much more practical than having to boot up the menu to assign. Also, with a list like I made one don't need a display that shows the filename of the ADF. Having 500 ADFs a display showing the name of the files doesn't help much as you have to cycle through everything anyway. Having a list with all the slots and what is assigned to what slot is much more practical. Oh, and with over 500 slots assigned there will be a small delay if I boot up the ADF selector. Not very long though. Other than that, there are no delay or slowdowns. But I rarely need to boot up the selector because of how many slots I have assigned.

Look at my thread here.

Last edited by turrican9; 08 April 2016 at 16:45.
Old 09 April 2016, 00:18   #223
Jeff_HxC2001

Ok. I think that what you need is not an Amiga file selector, but a simple pc tool to make this list automatically in some seconds.
Old 09 April 2016, 01:22   #224
PortuguesePilot
Global Moderator

Well... I must say that I also have a pre-selected list of games assigned from slot 31 to slot 457 on my Cortex Gotek. It's easier than assigning a game each time you boot. It's one of the main advantages of the Cortex firmware (I have two Gotek drives, one Cortex and one HxC, so I can compare both directly). I must say that it's very handy to have many slots (the more the merrier) for this purpose.
Old 09 April 2016, 07:59   #225
gorky

Dears,
I have just registered to this board. Dear Jeff, I need 999 slots in autoboot.hfe too. I have bought 2nd hand gotek with your firmware and was very disappointed that only 30 slots could be used. We have plenty of storage space and our amiga's aren't that slow. If we could print a list of games and then select the number we chose. Jeff, maybe you should enable users to select 999 slots? You could beat the competitive cortex software by this. Another solution is config file to txt conversion - where we could print the list of games with ease. I do not want to buy LCD display , scrolling through a thousands of adfs seems unpractical as for me using selector software.
Thanks in advance

Last edited by gorky; 09 April 2016 at 08:04.
Old 09 April 2016, 10:25   #226
Jeff_HxC2001

Interesting. Well, then if you prefer to assign 1000 images at a time to avoid to use the file selector, this means that the embedded file selector idea just totally sucks finally.

So there is no technical/practical reasons to do this on the Amiga. A simple tool on pc/mac will be a lot more convenient to this job.
Old 09 April 2016, 12:18   #227
turrican9

Quote:
Interesting. Well, then if you prefer to assign 1000 images at a time to avoid to use the file selector, this means that the embedded file selector idea just totally sucks finally.

So there is no technical/practical reasons to do this on the Amiga. A simple tool on pc/mac will be a lot more convenient to this job.
The selector is still important of course. If I had let's say track 21 to track 800 assigned I probably left the 20 first empty because I wanted to assign/reassign images I wanted to test out on a regular basis. Maybe I also wanted to assign more than 800 tracks or change the list without the need to do it on a PC/Mac. The possibility would be nice as an extra feature, but keep the selector that can be used on a real Amiga too. So on a Gotek with HXC firmware, does it cycle faster and faster through the tracks when you hold the backward or forward button and also skip empty tracks, like on the Cortex firmware? This is essentsial if huge number of pre-assigned images are gonna be practical. On the Cortex firmware it's no problem having a huge assigned library because of the above mentioned function.

Last edited by turrican9; 09 April 2016 at 12:34.
Old 09 April 2016, 12:24   #228
PortuguesePilot
Global Moderator

Quote:

I don't think you understand. Why does the fact that we could save a list of games in their respective slots make the file selector a bad idea? I don't understand your logic there. Also, why does the fact that we want our Goteks - mounted on our Amigas - to be able to store games on slots on a somewhat permanent way - make a "simple tool on pc/mac" a better idea? If everyone is praising the Cortex firmware for this particular aspect, why do you resist the idea that it is feasible and practical and actually wanted by several individuals?

When I only had the Cortex Gotek, I used to hear everyone praise the HxC and diss the Cortex. "The Cortex is buggy. It's discontinued. HxC is much better. Handles extended ADFs and is more compatible." Once I actually got a HxC Gotek and could compare both, I came to realize that it's not true. For instance, my HxC Gotek doesn't boot from the menu. Whenever I need to restart the Amiga after selecting and saving an ADF, I have to Ctrl+A+A. That's a bug on my book. Also, and I'm running on v3.0.6.7a and it doesn't quite deal with extended ADFs, at least not with some of them. Also, the IPF support isn't there (or I could not enable it), so many of the improvements over the Cortex weren't there. Also, there was the disappointment of the number of slots available for pre-selection. I can only preselect 15, while on the Cortex I can go up to 999 (personally I use just about 300).

My Cortex Gotek, mounted on a A500, has a close-100% compatibility rate (only 2 to 3 games out of nearly 500 tried had some issue). No other bugs to report. It resets from the menu and can store up to 999 games on designated slots. These are the main highlights of it.

The HxC firmware has a few qualities too. It boots from Workbench (though once it does, there is no "quit back to Workbench" option, which means if we want to go back to Workbench, we have to reset the Amiga), it is slightly more compatible (accepts some extended ADFs) and has more options. But the little problems I spoke of above are keeping the HxC from completely obliterating the Cortex in terms of practicality.

The ideal firmware, for me, would:
1) Reset from the menu
2) Have some sort of search option, like pressing the letter and jumping onto games that start with that letter.
3) Have as many slots as possible (Cortex' 999 seem to be more than enough)
4) Have an option to sort the files by alphabetic order

And that's it. I don't think its that hard to implement any of these, but I could be wrong. In the end, this is YOUR software and we must respect your wishes and be thankful for what you give us. We're just highlighting things that we would like to see in a standard Gotek drive. There are no ad hominem attacks here. No one is dissing, criticizing or attacking you and - I believe - everyone is grateful for what you've done. We're only expressing some sort of wish list for our Goteks in the hope of making our beloved Amigas even more enjoyable. That's it. The final decisions, though, are up to you, naturally.

Last edited by PortuguesePilot; 09 April 2016 at 12:32. Reason: Fixed some typos
Old 09 April 2016, 14:11   #229
Jeff_HxC2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortuguesePilot View Post
I don't think you understand. Why does the fact that we could save a list of games in their respective slots make the file selector a bad idea? I don't understand your logic there. Also, why does the fact that we want our Goteks - mounted on our Amigas - to be able to store games on slots on a somewhat permanent way - make a "simple tool on pc/mac" a better idea?
Because this a thing that could be done in some seconds with a pc automatically.
With the file selector you have to do this manually. (Plus : From the developer point of view, this ask a specific developpement for each machine. The PC tool can be used by Amiga,ST,CPC, TRS80 users without any change )

Quote:
If everyone is praising the Cortex firmware for this particular aspect, why do you resist the idea that it is feasible and practical and actually wanted by several individuals?
Please, don't try to convince me that using the hxc or the cortex or any others file selector are pratical to assign 500/1000 images manually during hours. But don't get me wrong, this is just my opinnion

Quote:
For instance, my HxC Gotek doesn't boot from the menu. Whenever I need to restart the Amiga after selecting and saving an ADF, I have to Ctrl+A+A. That's a bug on my book.
Have you contacted me to report this ?

Quote:
Also, and I'm running on v3.0.6.7a and it doesn't quite deal with extended ADFs, at least not with some of them. Also, the IPF support isn't there (or I could not enable it), so many of the improvements over the Cortex weren't there.
For protected format, use the HFE format.

Quote:
Also, there was the disappointment of the number of slots available for pre-selection. I can only preselect 15, while on the Cortex I can go up to 999 (personally I use just about 300).
Update your file selector. This is actually 250.

Quote:
The ideal firmware, for me, would:
1) Reset from the menu
Done.

Quote:
2) Have some sort of search option, like pressing the letter and jumping onto games that start with that letter.
Done (press Help to get the key to press)

Quote:
3) Have as many slots as possible (Cortex' 999 seem to be more than enough)
Could be done (but i still think that this is the wrong way to use the file selector...)

Quote:
4) Have an option to sort the files by alphabetic order
Not recommended : No enough memory and data throughput to sort a folder with 8000 files. This was done on the Atari ST version, and i will have to remove this feature : too slow to be usable.

Quote:
And that's it. I don't think its that hard to implement any of these, but I could be wrong.
It is not. And even better : you can do these modifications yourself if you want. all is on github.
Old 09 April 2016, 14:28   #230
turrican9

For sorting ADFs/images in alphabetical order I just use a program called Fat sorter. I just stick my Gotek Cortex USB drive into my PC and run Fat sorter on it. You only need to run this program again if you add more stuff to your floppy emulator storage device. I run Fat Sorter 2 times because it has a bug where it doesn't sort everything correctly after only one run.
Old 09 April 2016, 14:31   #231
Jeff_HxC2001

Quote:
For sorting ADFs/images in alphabetical order I just use a program called Fat sorter. I just stick my Gotek Cortex USB drive into my PC and run Fat sorter on it. You only need to run this program again if you add more stuff to your floppy emulator storage device. I run Fat Sorter 2 times because it has a bug where it doesn't sort everything correctly after only one run.
Exactly. This is what i recommend too.
Old 09 April 2016, 15:53   #232
turrican9

Jeff, one thing I don't think you have answered on yet is if the Gotek with HXC firmware have the function where if you hold the forward or backward button it will start to cycle through the tracks faster and faster the longer you hold it? Because if you were to implement 999 tracks for assigning this function would be important. This function works very well with the Cortex firmware.
Old 09 April 2016, 17:44   #233
gorky

I agree with both Jeff and PortuguesePilot. Guys, we need some improvement to ease basic gotek's functionality. I have bought a gotek with HxC not knowing there are only 30 disk images available on selector config. But I know you Jeff do support the software and hope you reflect on this matter. I read on my fellow country board that people obtain two gotek's (one with cortex , one with hxc) so there must be a reason.

So our great wishes for upcoming dev-works by you Jeff is to implement 999+ slots, even better, you could make not only more slots, but take advantage of hex numbering, bringing the opportunity to maintain 4096 slots filled with ADFs and displayed by default gotek's display. Another steady question is, if you could do PC software to bring line by line config data to text file, making print-ready list that users could print out and be a happy "gamestation" owners
Old 09 April 2016, 18:37   #234
Jeff_HxC2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorky View Post
I agree with both Jeff and PortuguesePilot. Guys, we need some improvement to ease basic gotek's functionality. I have bought a gotek with HxC not knowing there are only 30 disk images available on selector config.
Correction : It's 250 images available on selector config. (for the moment !)

http://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_d...OBOOT_beta.zip

Last edited by Jeff_HxC2001; 09 April 2016 at 18:43.
Old 09 April 2016, 19:18   #235
gorky

250 and counting up ? I rethink and consider that 250 is enough for me. Not all games are for daily playing Neitherless, it is strange that someone's sold me his own gotek with hxc leaving for himself gotek with cortex software...
Old 09 April 2016, 19:25   #236
turrican9

Jeff has still not answered my question from above. Even with 250 slots the need is there for faster cycling like I described. But maybe the HXC firmware already has this implemented?

Quote:
Jeff, one thing I don't think you have answered on yet is if the Gotek with HXC firmware have the function where if you hold the forward or backward button it will start to cycle through the tracks faster and faster the longer you hold it? Because if you were to implement 999 tracks for assigning this function would be important. This function works very well with the Cortex firmware.
Old 09 April 2016, 19:31   #237
Jeff_HxC2001

Quote:
Jeff has still not answered my question from above. Even with 250 slots the need is there for faster cycling like I described. But maybe the HXC firmware already has this implemented?
something like this is implemented. But not sure if this is fast enough for you. But any since there is only 250 available, this is probably not good for you.
Old 09 April 2016, 19:35   #238
Jeff_HxC2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorky View Post
250 and counting up ? I rethink and consider that 250 is enough for me. Not all games are for daily playing Neitherless, it is strange that someone's sold me his own gotek with hxc leaving for himself gotek with cortex software...
Yes. Maybe he didn't check the updates, as you... .

look at this post:

http://torlus.com/floppy/forum/viewt...p=11875#p11875
Old 09 April 2016, 23:11   #239
dJOS

Quote:
Exactly. This is what i recommend too.

Could you please implement this as a feature in the OSX conversion software? Sorting of files is a major pain in the bum.
Old 09 April 2016, 23:20   #240
Jeff_HxC2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by dJOS View Post
Could you please implement this as a feature in the OSX conversion software? Sorting of files is a major pain in the bum.
here is what i just found :

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/...-os-x.1722939/

http://www.luisrios.eti.br/public/en_us/projects/yafs/