English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 12 April 2018, 17:21   #1
AMIGASYSTEM

HstWB Installer for Classic Amiga

HstWB Installer is a set of powershell scripts, image templates, configuration files, AmigaDOS scripts and binaries used to easily build Amiga HDF or directory images with automated installation of Workbench, Kickstarts roms and packages with additional content for Classic Amiga. It's currently being developed and maintained by Henrik Nørfjand Stengaard.
Setting up a blank Amiga HDF image with e.g. PFS3, Workbench, Kickstarts roms, WHDLoad games and demos installed properly can be a cumbersome task unless you spend a lot of time figuring out how this is done step by step.
This is where HstWB Installer come to aid and can help to automate such installations using WinUAE and should be possible for almost anyone to do with very little knowledge about Amiga.
The packages included are BetterWB, HstWB, EAB WHDLoad games and demos menus for both AGA and OCS. Menu packages has screenshots and details for EAB games and demos WHDLoad packs configured for Arcade Game Selector 2 and iGame. These packages can be added to an image configuration and will be installed during HstWB Installer installation process.
In general HstWB Installer is build as a minimalistic as possible using BetterWB and HstWB to support A500 as a minimum. HstWB is mainly targeted A500, A600, A1200. The minimalistic approach allows users to customize it further with their own preferences like installing eg. MagicWB or Scalos.
Since Amiga Workbench and Kickstart roms are licensed property these files can't be included as they need to be acquired legally by buying Cloanto Amiga Forever or using grabkick from aminet to dump roms from real Amiga's.
HstWB is short for my name and Workbench (very original, I know).

HstWB v1.2.0 Beta3: Download
Old 13 April 2018, 09:28   #2
spudje

Nice!
Old 22 April 2018, 15:30   #3
Josh
Lord of Amiga-Manuals

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudje View Post
Nice!
Indeed

Cheers Josh
Old 22 April 2018, 20:36   #4
Sandancer

Looks cool Thanks
Old 22 April 2018, 23:55   #5
mfletcher
Bawbag.

Ive been playing around with this today and it definitely simplifies setting up systems in winuae... thanks!
Old 13 August 2018, 23:22   #6
Hercules
Vodka monster.

Been playing around with this today... All paths setup correctly, and a whole day spent digesting the guides. It just wouldn't build an image at all throwing up errors when setting up with AF 2016. A shame because it looked promising.
Old 14 August 2018, 01:30   #7
kolla
Banned

Too bad noone will get to see what those errors were.
Old 14 August 2018, 02:19   #8
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

A "minimalistic" installer that weighs in at 823Mb!?

I think I'll pass...
Old 16 August 2018, 11:40   #9
kolla
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minuous View Post
That's because it contains ...
Code:
 12M	BetterWB.4.0.3.zip
 18M	ClassicWB.68K.28.0.0.zip
 63M	ClassicWB.ADV.28.0.1.zip
 72M	ClassicWB.ADVSP.28.0.1.zip
 63M	ClassicWB.FULL.28.0.1.zip
 21M	ClassicWB.LITE.28.0.1.zip
 64M	ClassicWB.OS39.28.0.0.zip
 79M	ClassicWB.P96.28.0.1.zip
 55M	EAB.WHDLoad.Demos.AGA.Menu.3.0.0.zip
 43M	EAB.WHDLoad.Demos.OCS.Menu.3.0.0.zip
181M	EAB.WHDLoad.Games.AGA.Menu.3.0.0.zip
129M	EAB.WHDLoad.Games.OCS.Menu.3.0.0.zip
 11M	HstWB.1.1.2.zip
1.4M	HstWB.Mini.1.0.0.zip
620K	Picasso96.1.0.0.zip
Old 17 August 2018, 14:44   #10
cyberhead97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules View Post
Been playing around with this today... All paths setup correctly, and a whole day spent digesting the guides. It just wouldn't build an image at all throwing up errors when setting up with AF 2016. A shame because it looked promising.
Error messages are much appreciated to help resolving issues users experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minuous View Post

I think I'll pass...
The description of HstWB Installer at github needs to be updated as it's in itself is quite minimalistic at least without all packages. Packages makes it heavy, but there would be no fun without them.

The wording minimalistic was also more target HstWB package, which is my own Workbench enhancement. That only has few devices, libs, icons and programs installed on top of Workbench 3.1.

With updated tutorials, documentation and creating video tutorials as well I really hope this helps to understand how it's used. This is what I'm currently working on with latest beta releases to make it final.

---

I already have planned HstWB Installer v2.0 and it will get a GUI next to the Console. It will be rewritten in Python to support most platforms Windows, macOS, Linux incl. Raspberry PI. For Windows I will use py2exe making it completely standalone and for macOS py2app wrapping in a dmg for simplified use. A plain Python is also available for advanced users preferring to run python scripts as they like.

Unfortunately I don't have a timeline for v2.0, so best bet for initial release of that would be sometime next year.
Old 08 October 2018, 22:43   #11
boondoggle

After I managed to name the workbench disks and kickstarts it was a straight forward setup. Then just renaming the hdf to vhd and write it to CF card with winimage was easy. However I now wonder if there is an easy way to update whdload package for AGS2 with new entries and images?
Would it be possible for you to make some script to get screenshots from openretro.org? I´m thinking like using UUID info from FS-UAE database like: https://forums.launchbox-app.com/top...ith-launchbox/
Old 08 October 2018, 23:18   #12
gulliver
BoingBagged

Thank you for your continuing work in HstWB !
Old 09 October 2018, 22:55   #13
cyberhead97

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulliver View Post
Thank you for your continuing work in HstWB !
Thanks, I see you have created a new BestWB enhancement I would like to include and at the same time add support for Workbench 3.1.4.
Old 10 October 2018, 04:12   #14
gulliver
BoingBagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberhead97 View Post
Thanks, I see you have created a new BestWB enhancement I would like to include and at the same time add support for Workbench 3.1.4.
Then, start working!
Old 11 October 2018, 09:37   #15
eispic

Could extend that also for the following OS ?
AmigaOS4.1 FE
A.I.A.B
BestWB
Old 11 October 2018, 22:57   #16
cyberhead97

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulliver View Post
Then, start working!
Yes sir! I will... and have started creating support for automated installation of Amiga OS 3.1.4 A1200 version at first put as part of HstWB Installer v1.3.0-ALPHA.

It's not in a user friendly state yet, but it's taking good shape, works and does automated installation from both adf files and floppy disks at the moment.

I have also added installation of the new Glow Icons on the storage disk, which depends on what users select in a requester choosing either yes and no.

Here's a video of the Amiga OS 3.1.4 A1200 being installed using WinUAE [ Show youtube player ].

Quote:
Originally Posted by eispic View Post
Could extend that also for the following OS ?
AmigaOS4.1 FE
A.I.A.B
BestWB
I plan support for BestWB together with Amiga OS 3.1.4 and haven't looked much into Amiga OS 4.1 FE or A.I.A.B.
Old 24 June 2020, 02:21   #17
TroyWilkins

I only just discovered this, due to it being mentioned elsewhere on this forum, and I think you've done a fantastic job, well done.

I know this may be too much to ask, but would it be possible to add support for Kickstart 37.350 and Workbench 2, so I could use this to prep a setup for my real A600 that only has a soldered 37.350 ROM and 2MB Chip with a 16GB card? If that's too much to ask, I understand, and I can try to make it up on my own, as I know it's a niche request.
Old 24 June 2020, 23:08   #18
Hercules
Vodka monster.

Once this project has better documentation, then I shall be happy to support it.

Last edited by Hercules; 24 June 2020 at 23:08. Reason: typo
Old 25 June 2020, 05:09   #19
dalek

In my opinion the documentation is excellent.
Old 30 June 2020, 13:57   #20
rabidgerry

I have successfully done these installs using the 8gb image. But I will be honest I haven't a clue what half the options are. I would love to do it on the Amiga itself but I really don't know how to do that going on the guides.

I have a question about creating an Hard File on WINUAE. Is it literally a case of copying the Hard File (once I run through the scripts obviously) via image copying software to removeable drive (my CF card)?

This is how I did it even though the software I used didn't recognise the Hard File format, it still let me select it and I've copied the entire image to CF card and all seems to be working. I just remember it being a lot harder than this when I setup Classic workbench full on CF card before. I had to do something to the card on real Amiga to get it setup properly in order to stop errors.

Also once I copied the Hard File to CF card I noticed if I deleted the partition using Hdtools to reformat and rename it something else, it would screw up the install and it would no longer work in WINUAE. Why would this be? I would leave the workbench partition intact but delete the other partition (6gb in my case) so I could re-name it but it was cause it to ruin the install somehow.

I'm going to try a 16gb install soon. The rom switching thing is excellent, no more issues trying to map rom in Acatool to try and do an install.