English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.FS-UAE

Old 16 January 2016, 12:25   #1
Neil79
Banned

Game wipe :(

I'd just set up all my game directories and game database updates, thought i'd try the portable version of the dev version. Copied it over and not only did that wipe everything I'd set up, but it killed my username and password. Even reinstalling the standard version and it's still gone

Any idea what file would've caused this?
AdSense AdSense  
Old 16 January 2016, 12:59   #2
Neil79
Banned

Another issue even after cleaning up everything, and re-retrying the dev it's suck on the login window, even after entering the user/pass. I had to manually hit close, then re-open FS-UAE to see if it's logged in correctly.
Old 16 January 2016, 12:59   #3
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Hi, it is difficult to say exactly what happened, unless I know exactly what you did, but I can say this:

Using the portable version will not touch your old/existing installation. The whole point of the portable version is that everything is self-contained. But that also means that the portable version will not see / pick up any settings from the installed version either (but you can of course copy stuff manually from Documents/FS-UAE into your portable version).

But are you saying that after having used the portable version, when you start the installed version, data and settings is gone from it?
Old 16 January 2016, 13:01   #4
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Unless you meant that you upgraded from the stable portable to dev portable - in the same directory, the my previous comment does not apply of course.

In this case, it is sometimes normal for game entries to disappear temporarily until you perform a game database update (if I have changed the database on-disk format). I don't see any reason for why login or other settings should disappear...
Old 16 January 2016, 13:04   #5
Neil79
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodeSolheim View Post
But are you saying that after having used the portable version, when you start the installed version, data and settings is gone from it?
Correct, however further testing it seems the dev copy corrupted the main install, probably because I copied the dev folder files into the same folder as the main . You can tell it's corrupted something because now using the portable on it's own with the main uninstalled nothing is working correctly. No game pictures showing up, login not working right, it says it's imported files but showing up as all X's.

As this is the first time this has ever happened ( No reports previous from me in this section for a good few years) I think I'll do a complete wipe of the docs, main folder and reg clean.
Old 16 January 2016, 13:09   #6
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Ah, OK, well, you are not supposed to copy the portable version and overwrite an installed one...

You can of course, but what happens then is this:
- Portable.ini will be present in the "install directory"
- Even if you re-install the installable version, Portable.ini will be present.
- The presence of Portable.ini means that FS-UAE will use this this as a portable directory, and not use Documents/FS-UAE.

If you delete Portable.ini from the installation directory, FS-UAE / FS-UAE Launcher will start using data and settings from Documents/FS-UAE again.

(Another note: downgrading from FS-UAE Launcher devel to stable is not generally supported, and may require you to manually delete some .sqlite database files)
Old 16 January 2016, 13:10   #7
Neil79
Banned

Ah right, thanks
AdSense AdSense