English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 18 December 2014, 22:45   #1
butfluffy

adventures of maddog williams confusion

decided to try this interesting game while waiting for a solution to my willy beamish adf dilema and yet again it seems i have chosen a game with potential issues
the great thing about this site is being able to research if a game has issues here before playing which is a plus.
i read that the skid row cracked version of the game has some problems with disk 3 but i see that there is a disk 3 marked [f] included in the tosec collection.
i'm wondering if this means that the skid row version is fixed and the game can be 100% completable using the disk 3 [f]?
also on the game crafters site i see that they have allowed the game to be released legally and is hosted by ami sector one. i gather this version is the original but i'm not sure if it has had the copy protection removed?
the wizard at the start of the game just seems to tell you what to type rather than ask you to refer to any manuals or map which appears as though the protection has been removed already. they did state that they removed the copy protection from the pc version they made free to download so maybe they done the same thing with the amiga version.
the ami sector one package came in an archive with 4 disks named maddog-boot.adf maddog-chapter1.adf maddog-chapter2.adf and maddog-chapter3.adf
i'm not sure if anyone has played the ami sector one release or is aware of it but i would like to know if this version is completable without issues so any info would be great guys.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 19 December 2014, 00:19   #2
Simmo76

Hi, haven't played any of the MDW sets you refer to, but, if it's a TOSEC set then [f] should indeed mean 'fixed'.
See here for an in depth explanation and list of (all?) TOSEC filename conventions:
http://www.tosecdev.org/tosec-naming-convention
Old 19 December 2014, 01:12   #3
BarryB
Amigaholic

The one hosted on Ami Sector One has the protection removed, same as the PC version, tells you what to type! There are 5 disks in the archive, you missed maddog-chapter4.adf! Never played it so can't say if it can be completed but if Game Crafters released it then you would assume it's complete!
Old 19 December 2014, 01:31   #4
butfluffy

that is great news, all this time people have been struggling with the problematic tosec versions of this game and Game Crafters released it free to download years back, guess i will play the Game Crafters version and give the others a miss.
the archive did indeed contain the chapter4.adf file, i forgot to type that one earlier, doh.
hopefully the next game i decide to play after this and willy beamish wont be an awkward one.

Last edited by butfluffy; 19 December 2014 at 01:31. Reason: spelling
Old 19 December 2014, 14:23   #5
Hewitson

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryB View Post
The one hosted on Ami Sector One has the protection removed, same as the PC version, tells you what to type!
That's not a very professional crack.
Old 19 December 2014, 19:02   #6
BarryB
Amigaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
That's not a very professional crack.
Can it be called a 'crack' when it's your own game?
Old 19 December 2014, 22:21   #7
butfluffy

well at least it's working with no issues. well it would be odd if the ami sector one version had any issues, like BarryB said we can assume that it's complete without issues due to the fact it was released by Game Crafters themselves.
i'm wondering if any other problematic games have been released by the actual game makers which i don't know about. i stumbled upon the maddog williams ami sector one version by luck more than anything, also i got a protection removed by the game makers version of abandoned places 2 from a link posted in a thread here but maybe there are others.
shame they did not relase abandoned places 1 aswell but i think that game can be completed using the cracked version so it's all good.
Old 19 December 2014, 23:54   #8
mai

I think Ami Sector 1 version has second protection not removed, its the same as TOSEC [a] version.
Old 20 December 2014, 01:03   #9
BarryB
Amigaholic

And that is...?
Old 20 December 2014, 01:55   #10
butfluffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mai View Post
I think Ami Sector 1 version has second protection not removed, its the same as TOSEC [a] version.
can anybody verify if ami sector one version has the second protection not removed?
i sure hope this is not the case, what would be the point in them releasing a free to download version which does not remove all the copy protections? even worse if they just released a tosec disk
there also does not appear to be an ipf version of this game available
does anyone have an unmoddified original dump of this game? maybe it would not be so bad using an unmodified version and referring to the manual/map to answer the protection questions. i have scans of both the map and the manual.

Edit - damn it i just checked the tosec [a] files and compared them with the ami sector one files and the crc for all disks is the same. does this mean that the game is unplayable or is it possible to enter the second protection codes from the manual like you would with an original game?
is the second protection contained on disk 3 because there is a [f] fixed disk 3 in the tosec collection which may be working properly.
also is it possible that the [a] set has some corruption and is badly cracked but the version without the [a] in the filename is good?
would be awesome if someone who has played the whole game could help out to save some pain while trying to play it.

Last edited by butfluffy; 20 December 2014 at 02:10. Reason: update
Old 20 December 2014, 02:02   #11
s2325
Zone Friend

There is MaddogWilliams_D2.DMS (585529 bytes) - "Maddog Williams" from Game Crafters - fixed MDWCHAPTER3 disk here http://wt.exotica.org.uk/others.html
Old 20 December 2014, 02:48   #12
butfluffy

thanks for the link s2325. from what i read on other threads though i gathered that issues occur in disk 3 of the game. are these issues in disk 3 corruption related and thats why there is a [f] version disk 3 in the tosec set?
i'm also wondering if this fixed disk 2 works ok with the game crafters ami sector one release aka version tosec [a] set or does it work with the set without the [a] in the filename?
or is a it a matter of mixing and matching disks from different sets to get a fully version working?
the second protection is contained on disk 2 and fixed with s2325's linked version i gather? it's a confusing one this.

edit - seems as though the fixed MaddogWilliams_D2.DMS MDWCHAPTER3 disk s2325 linked to is the a fixed version 3rd disk in the game set after all. the ami sector one release names this disk maddog-chapter2.adf and in tosec its called (disk 3 of 5)
the crc from MaddogWilliams_D2.DMS is different from the tosec (disk 3 of 5) [f] disk so i'm hoping MaddogWilliams_D2.DMS is a proper fix. does MaddogWilliams_D2.DMS fix the copy protction and the issues desdribed in this thread? http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?...ghlight=maddog
i was also confused because there has been mention of the game having issues at chapter 4 which i had originally figured must be maddog-chapter4.adf going by the ami sector one release filename, but judging by the fact that the amiga volume dos name jumps from MDWCHAPTER3 to MDWCHAPTER5 on the next disk i gather chapter 3 and 4 are both contained within the MaddogWilliams_D2.DMS aka maddog-chapter2.adf.
i don 't know why the ami sector one release named the disks this way as it seems misleading because the chapters contained in the disks are not the same as the filenames which is what caused all my confusion.
sorry for making such a confusing thread guys but this game is a nightmare due to the filenaming, i did not know which disks were supposed to be corrupted/badly cracked for this reason, hopefully MaddogWilliams_D2.DMS fixes all issues with chapter 3 and 4.

Last edited by butfluffy; 20 December 2014 at 16:01. Reason: update
Old 20 December 2014, 19:25   #13
mai

Just use any available TOSEC disk 1, 2, 4, 5
and
Adventures of Maddog Williams in The Dungeons of Duridian, The (1991)(Game Crafters)(Disk 3 of 5)[cr SR][f]
Quote:
crc32 956A046A
thid is the fixed disk, its the same as
MaddogWilliams_D2.DMS
Quote:
crc32 956A046A
from WT-page.
Old 21 December 2014, 00:24   #14
butfluffy

i thought that maybe it was the same disk but the crc values don't match. after converting MaddogWilliams_D2.DMS to adf the crc is 2CA34FE5. unles the crc is changed because of the dms workshop dms to adf conversion?

Edit - i just checked the crc of the MaddogWilliams_D2.DMS disk and it is indeed 956A046A the same as Adventures of Maddog Williams in The Dungeons of Duridian, The (1991)(Game Crafters)(Disk 3 of 5)[cr SR][f]
i don't know why the crc of the dms to adf conversion is different. anyways i will just use the fixed adf from tosec as it's the same file just in case my dms to adf conversion is bad.
cheers for the info.

Last edited by butfluffy; 21 December 2014 at 00:30.
Old 22 December 2014, 09:18   #15
Hewitson

Quote:
Can it be called a 'crack' when it's your own game?
Of course it can. They probably didn't crack it themselves anyway, it's probably another groups crack with the intro removed like several other companies have done.
Old 22 December 2014, 14:12   #16
BarryB
Amigaholic

If they've used a 'crack' then OK, but if they've removed the protection themselves then they haven't 'cracked' it as they programmed it and know where the code is to remove so don't have to 'crack' it!
Old 22 December 2014, 16:15   #17
jbenam
Italian Amiga Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by butfluffy View Post
i don't know why the crc of the dms to adf conversion is different. anyways i will just use the fixed adf from tosec as it's the same file just in case my dms to adf conversion is bad.
cheers for the info.
Because the CRC isn't calculated on the contents (which don't change) but the entirety of the file, which does change as they're two completely different formats (different internal structure as one is compressed, lots of other changes as well) and even have different filesizes!
Old 22 December 2014, 16:54   #18
Hewitson

Quote:
If they've used a 'crack' then OK, but if they've removed the protection themselves then they haven't 'cracked' it as they programmed it and know where the code is to remove so don't have to 'crack' it!
Old 22 December 2014, 18:07   #19
butfluffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenam View Post
Because the CRC isn't calculated on the contents (which don't change) but the entirety of the file, which does change as they're two completely different formats (different internal structure as one is compressed, lots of other changes as well) and even have different filesizes!
ok that makes sense. guess it did not make any difference which version fixed disk i used then because they are both the same regardless of the crc being different after the dms to adf conversion.
this info is handy to know in case a similar situation comes up in the future.
Old 22 December 2014, 19:34   #20
BarryB
Amigaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
Hewitson --> <-- Me
AdSense AdSense