English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 07 December 2014, 04:43   #1
Knight94

Unhappy WHDLoad Error

Well I hope I am in the right forum otherwise moderators please correct.

I have an a600 that I just finished getting up and running. It is a rev 1 board with a AC620, 604N, Transcend SSD 4gb, Indivision ECS, and RapidRoad.The system itself works great with no issues.

Here is the problem. 90 percent of all my WHDload games do not even start up. the WHDload startup screen will show. The screen will go black and then some games will show the game logo and some games will not. Then it will crash and say. Illegal Instruction ($10) in which I have to quit.

I have other amigas which are 1200's with various setups. With the 1200's the games work perfectly. But all of them have blizzard cards. 1230mkIV, and 060 PPC's. All of them use MMU.

So do I possibly have a wrong global instruction set? The only ones that are set are the NoCache and the StartupExecute (to disable trident). If anyone has any ideas or maybe the same kind of a600 setup that could help me, I would appreciate it.

Thanks
Old 07 December 2014, 04:46   #2
ancalimon
Supernormal

There is the possibility that your slaves are old.
As far as I know, some slaves are old versions and need to be updated to work with the latest version of whdload. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

But since the same files work on your other Amigas, I guess the problem is with your Amiga setup. Have you tried the same games after cold booting your Amiga without Startup-Sequence?
Old 07 December 2014, 08:58   #3
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

You should name a bunch of installs that you have tried, and also what versions of WHDLoad you have used. Do the simple games that only need 512k of RAM work correctly? Have you tried older versions of WHDLoad? If the install needs WHDLoad v10, try that exact version and see if it makes a difference.
Old 07 December 2014, 13:42   #4
Knight94

Ok. So did a little bit more testing. On my a600 I have MagicWB and MCP installed. I thought that MCP may be an issue so I disabled same problem.

I am or had been running 17.1 since last year. This version is in all my 1200's. I just upgraded to 17.2 on the 600 to see a difference. Same problem.

On a really weird note. So I have usb. At first I never disabled it at startup (forgot all about it). And since I was transfering my games from my 1200 to my 600 via usb. I actually started the game from the usb cf card (with cf adapter) and low and behold. The game would start and work fine. Transfer to my SSD HD and instant issues again. I also tried disabling my usb (which it should have been).

I am not in front of my amiga right now but 3 games that come to mind are: Mortal Kombat, Shadow Dancer, and Walker. They were the 3 I was doing most of my testing with. Mortal Kombat and Walker I tried from the USB and it loaded fine. (Confused)

As I stated this games are working perfectly in 3 other amiga 1200's. I tried them on each machine last night and they loaded right up.

I'm still at a loss...

I will try some older versions of whdload later today and see if that helps. But it doesn't make sense that it would work on my 1200's and not my 600's.

Oh and these are NOT AGA games! Just in case someone was thinking that.

Last edited by TCD; 07 December 2014 at 14:18. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged.
Old 07 December 2014, 14:17   #5
Hewitson

Check the MaxTransfer of the SSD in HDToolBox.
Old 07 December 2014, 15:18   #6
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
With the latest WHDLoad, I get this all the time on my CDTV.
HDD is setup all correctly, same setup on A1200 works fine.

In test with A620, I have also had this same issue. I also tried FFS, SFS and PFS, all gave blank screen after splash screen and sometimes illegal error.
On A600, removing A620 fixed issue, but you dont have any ram to run anything then.

Last edited by FOL; 07 December 2014 at 15:24.
Old 07 December 2014, 18:39   #7
Knight94

Hewitson: I have checked my max transfer settings. They were original. xffffff. But then I changed to x0001fe00. No difference in either. Since I was using a ssd. I had been running it at full max transfer with no issues.

FOL: I believe you are correct. I took off my 620 and the games booted right up. So is there something wrong with the 620? Has anyone gotten it to work correctly? Maybe a setting to adjust in the acatune with the 620 or in whdload global pref settings?

I would really like to use the aca620 since it has the fast ram on it.
Old 07 December 2014, 19:04   #8
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight94 View Post
Hewitson: I have checked my max transfer settings. They were original. xffffff. But then I changed to x0001fe00. No difference in either. Since I was using a ssd. I had been running it at full max transfer with no issues.

FOL: I believe you are correct. I took off my 620 and the games booted right up. So is there something wrong with the 620? Has anyone gotten it to work correctly? Maybe a setting to adjust in the acatune with the 620 or in whdload global pref settings?

I would really like to use the aca620 since it has the fast ram on it.
If I recall there was something about WHDLoad thinking the ACA620 CPU had an FPU, so you could try setting global pref for that.
Old 07 December 2014, 19:47   #9
Knight94

Well, I found out what the issue really was and it is not the aca620. Actually that works great.

It ended up being my ssd hd. I have a spare ssd (exact same one with a backup of my hd on it. Same settings and everything. Tried it with whdload and it is working perfectly. Tried copying the backup back to my main ssd hd and still the same issue. So it appears my main ssd was the cause. I will have to replace it with another one soon. But for the time, I can run the bakcup one.

Thanks to all with your help and ideas. Just found it strange that the it took the whdload to find the issue. Cause all of my other programs were working great with that ssd. Weird.
Old 07 December 2014, 22:35   #10
Knight94

So I played around with my bad ssd for a bit. It seems that if you so things down by not using an accelerator some of the games did appear to work, but as I did more testing some did not. It seems that it also does not like more speed (the aca620). But all my other programs (Final Writer, PPaint, Organiser, Dirwork, DiskMaster, and all the ones on my workbench (sys folder) work with no lockups. So apparently I was gettings some bad blocks.

Just goes to show that the problem is not always what it appears to be.

Wanted to share my extra testing for others, (who like me) may need some help with troubleshooting.
Old 07 December 2014, 23:07   #11
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Probably files were already corrupted from being copied over with wrong max transfer. Changing max transfer won't fix files that are already damaged. Good news you got it up and running tho 😊