English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 22 July 2013, 11:10   #1
JimPlaysGames

Question Eye of the Beholder 2 AGA Version - Messed up item names

Hi there, I've been playing the AGA version of EotB by CFOU and it runs great except that some of the item names, particularly potions, wands and rings have missing names.

When I pick one up it says something like "Ring of Taken" or simply " Taken", with the spaces in there as if the name is just blank. Also some weird characters instead of names like "Potion of > Taken". You can see it [ Show youtube player ] in the let's play I'm doing of the game:

I've copied the westwoodtool.library and lowlevel.library to the workbench Libs folder (and pretty much everywhere else just in case), and I'm using Workbench 3.1. I'm running it through emulation on WinUAE with an A1200 configuration.

I think it's only the items that have been imported from the original that are the problem. So I suppose it could be a problem with the save file, but I'm at a loss. It's not game breaking, but it would be nice to fix it. I've found no other mention of this problem anywhere. If anyone could offer any insight it would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 22 July 2013, 13:04   #2
CFou!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimPlaysGames View Post
Hi there, I've been playing the AGA version of EotB by CFOU and it runs great except that some of the item names, particularly potions, wands and rings have missing names.

When I pick one up it says something like "Ring of Taken" or simply " Taken", with the spaces in there as if the name is just blank. Also some weird characters instead of names like "Potion of > Taken". You can see it [ Show youtube player ] in the let's play I'm doing of the game:

I've copied the westwoodtool.library and lowlevel.library to the workbench Libs folder (and pretty much everywhere else just in case), and I'm using Workbench 3.1. I'm running it through emulation on WinUAE with an A1200 configuration.

I think it's only the items that have been imported from the original that are the problem. So I suppose it could be a problem with the save file, but I'm at a loss. It's not game breaking, but it would be nice to fix it. I've found no other mention of this problem anywhere. If anyone could offer any insight it would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
Thanks for you bug report.

it must be my fault... a but in translation patch code....

An update is planed for EOB2 AGA, so i will can fix it's..

so:
1) can you give to me all missing names that you know?
2) can you send to me savegame with this items to test myself
?
Old 22 July 2013, 13:27   #3
JimPlaysGames

Hi CFOU, thanks so much for your quick reply.

I did look up another let's play of the game and it didn't seem to have the same problem, so it is possible that it's something peculiar to my setup. I should take this opportunity to thank you for making this version. It made it possible for me to finish the first game, and hopefully this one

The missing names I have noticed so far appear to be as follows. The name of the item in EotB1 is on the left and it's name in EotB 2 is on the right, discovered which is which by comparing the save from EotB1 to EotB2. The _ character indicates a blank space after which "taken" is seen, as in Ring of _ taken.

Wand of Fireball - Wand of _
Wand of Lightning Bolt - Wand of _
Wand of Magic Missile - Wand of _
Ring +2 - Ring of _
Ring of Feather Fall - Ring of _
Ring of Sustenance - Ring of _
Potion of Healing - Potion of _
Potion of Extra Healing - Potion of _
Potion of Giant Strength - _
Potion of Speed - Potion of |||
Potion of Cure Poison - Potion of >

Some similar items have the right names, such as the Ring of Protection +2. I recall now that a couple of potions I picked up along the way also had the corrupted names, so it's not just the items that were imported. All the scrolls, weapons and other items seem to be fine.

I've attached a zip of my save games. Thanks again for your efforts
Attached Files
File Type: zip JimSaves.zip (104.5 KB, 139 views)
Old 23 July 2013, 14:11   #4
CFou!

Quote:
Hi CFOU, thanks so much for your quick reply.

I did look up another let's play of the game and it didn't seem to have the same problem, so it is possible that it's something peculiar to my setup. I should take this opportunity to thank you for making this version. It made it possible for me to finish the first game, and hopefully this one

The missing names I have noticed so far appear to be as follows. The name of the item in EotB1 is on the left and it's name in EotB 2 is on the right, discovered which is which by comparing the save from EotB1 to EotB2. The _ character indicates a blank space after which "taken" is seen, as in Ring of _ taken.

Wand of Fireball - Wand of _
Wand of Lightning Bolt - Wand of _
Wand of Magic Missile - Wand of _
Ring +2 - Ring of _
Ring of Feather Fall - Ring of _
Ring of Sustenance - Ring of _
Potion of Healing - Potion of _
Potion of Extra Healing - Potion of _
Potion of Giant Strength - _
Potion of Speed - Potion of |||
Potion of Cure Poison - Potion of >

Some similar items have the right names, such as the Ring of Protection +2. I recall now that a couple of potions I picked up along the way also had the corrupted names, so it's not just the items that were imported. All the scrolls, weapons and other items seem to be fine.

I've attached a zip of my save games. Thanks again for your efforts
thanks i will try to found some times this weedend to test it
Old 23 July 2013, 14:13   #5
JimPlaysGames

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFOU! View Post
thanks i will try to found some times this weedend to test it
Nice one. Thanks so much
Old 30 July 2013, 12:22   #6
CFou!

Quote: