English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 19 September 2010, 03:13   #1
A.M.C.

Where can I find old WinUAE public betas?

This is my first post so firstly let me say "Hi" to you all.
I would prefer to offer help in my first post instead of asking for it so I hope I can do it in my second one (I also hope you can understand my poor English)
It's a too cold post if I only ask for something so my story began in 89 or 90 with the purchase of an Amiga 500 (the computer of my life as well as yours) I remember that I was trying to buy it as cheap as possible so we went directly to the distributor thinking it would be cheaper, long story short I ended paying 100.000 pts (600 Eur) for just the Amiga 500, the TV modulator and a software program called "Appetizer" (or something like that) and no games while in a common shop the price was 69.000 pts (414 Eur) for the "Batman Pack" but it was Friday and went out of Barcelona for weekend so I couldn't wait till the next week, I won't forget that time, later I bought an Amiga 2000, later sold them, then bought them again plus an Amiga 1000 and now I don't keep any.
I've been following and using WinUAE for some time and found my CD archive with versions as old as the 0.6.9 but I'm sure I had even older ones but I can't find them, I also keep 2 CDs full of betas but I'm missing the oldest ones, all from 1340 to 1500, and the 1510rc2 and 1510rc3, also the 1530b8 and the 1540b5.
I've been searching for them for hours in Internet and only found a Chineese BBS that supposedly still has some of them but I don't understand that language and I need to register to download them.
I would like to have a complete archive of WinUAE so if anyone can help, it will be greatly appreciated.

Carlos

Old 20 September 2010, 00:28   #2
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.M.C. View Post
This is my first post so firstly let me say "Hi" to you all.
Hi Carlos, and welcome to EAB!

Quote:
I would prefer to offer help in my first post instead of asking for it so I hope I can do it in my second one (I also hope you can understand my poor English)
You are too modest. Your English is very good.

Also, it is possible that your question is one that many users would like to see asked, so it could still be helpful.

Quote:
I've been following and using WinUAE for some time and found my CD archive with versions as old as the 0.6.9 but I'm sure I had even older ones but I can't find them, I also keep 2 CDs full of betas but I'm missing the oldest ones, all from 1340 to 1500, and the 1510rc2 and 1510rc3, also the 1530b8 and the 1540b5.
I've been searching for them for hours in Internet and only found a Chineese BBS that supposedly still has some of them but I don't understand that language and I need to register to download them.
I would like to have a complete archive of WinUAE so if anyone can help, it will be greatly appreciated.
I have gathered quite a collection of WinUAE betas myself without really trying. If you're serious, I can probably supply most of those you require (although their names might be a little different), and some of the older versions as well, but it may take a while to find them on my hard disks.
Old 20 September 2010, 06:15   #3
A.M.C.

Smile

Thank you very much Prowler
I don't see any rules in your FAQ for posting and replying to messages like if I have to write comments under the text I'm answering or if I can write directly without showing any previous text so lets see if this works

Thank you again but it takes me some time to think what words to use, their position and the most important if the final result means what I wanted to say, mmmmmh me like Amiga

I don't think so because I suppose common users don't use betas or if they use them, they don't keep them, they just delete the previous one and just switch to the new one and just keep the final releases, in fact, I have found only 2 sites that have downloadable betas one is the author's site and the other is where I used to download them from the beginning, EmuHQ, the rest just have links to the author's site and only the current or not too old work, the others are dead links.

That would be great, in my original post I told the ones I'm missing, I'm sure I used to have some more but I have lost one cd or two, right now I have one with the final releases from 0.6.9 or so to present release and two cds full of betas, I rename the exe with 230xxyy where xx is the beta number and yy is in case there was a modification of lets say the original beta 1 but it's not beta 2 yet.
If you need any of the ones I have just let me know.

Regards.

Carlos.

Last edited by A.M.C.; 20 September 2010 at 06:27.

Old 20 September 2010, 15:58   #4
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

I have all betas starting from 0.8.25b1.
Old 20 September 2010, 20:17   #5
A.M.C.

Hi Toni, the master behind WinUAE, this deserves a virtual bottle of champagne or better one of our great wines plus a virtual Spain cured ham
I read all posts about public betas before posting my request and the first public beta was 1340b1 so your 0825b1 must be a private beta?
Is there any site where I can download that or any compilation you can sell or whatever?, I suppose that Prowler will be interested too.
Thanks again.

Carlos.

Old 20 September 2010, 20:23   #6
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

I can uploaded missing versions to some temporary place (including "private" betas), which versions you need?
Old 20 September 2010, 20:54   #7
A.M.C.

Hi again Toni

It's in my first post but basically I have all betas from 1510b1 till now so I'm missing all the pre 151 ones and that's a big amount of betas and much more if you are counting the private one of which I know anything, too much work for uploading all that or not?

Old 20 September 2010, 22:21   #8
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
I suppose that Prowler will be interested too.
Just for the record: I have all those betas you mentioned. Plus earlier versions 0.6.3, 0.6.6 pr2, 0.6.8 r7, 0.6.8 r10, 0.6.8 r11 and 0.6.8 r14 (68000 and 68020 CPU versions).

And thankyou, but no, I'm not interested in collecting more betas. I was just offering you those I have, as you seemed to be having trouble finding them.
Old 21 September 2010, 02:24   #9
A.M.C.

Prowler, sorry, I thought that you wouldn't have the ones Toni was talking about and knowing you also keep old versions and betas, you may be interested.
I'm interested but I guess Toni thought I was missing only one or two so I don't think he is uploading everything, anyway when I replied your post, you didn't say anything else, do you have them uploaded somewhere like or the like or you were offering them burned on DVD/CD?

Old 21 September 2010, 22:20   #10
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Prowler, sorry, I thought that you wouldn't have the ones Toni was talking about and knowing you also keep old versions and betas, you may be interested.
I haven't got the "private" betas that Toni mentioned. I'm assuming these were internal versions distributed among the WinUAE developers when Toni was a member of the team, before the others "retired".

Quote:
I'm interested but I guess Toni thought I was missing only one or two so I don't think he is uploading everything, anyway when I replied your post, you didn't say anything else, do you have them uploaded somewhere like or the like or you were offering them burned on DVD/CD?
It's not that simple, I'm afraid.

Because these files won't be of interest to everyone, I don't think it would be appropriate to upload them to a file sharing site like . In addition, I would seek Toni's permission before distributing these files, and this won't be forthcoming unless you can assure us that you require these files for personal use only and that you will not redistribute them, whether for personal gain or not.

Quote:
I read all posts about public betas before posting my request and the first public beta was 1340b1...
Actually it was 1330b1, and I have them all from that point on. The hotfixes are more difficult to keep track of, and I imagine I am missing many of these.
Old 21 September 2010, 23:44   #11
A.M.C.

Sorry but I don't know how to reply under each block of your text so here it goes:

I don't want private releases, I only want what was intended to be public.

I said because I didn't want anyone use their own bandwidth for something that only I am asking for, that's why I asked if they were already uploaded somewhere out of WinUAE or EAB sites or if you were going to burn them on DVD for a fee or whatever.
Toni saw my request and didn't complain, he even offered to upload what I was looking for to a temporary site and although I was looking only for public betas, he talked about private ones too, I suppose he would have said something if he didn't like someone asking for old public betas but I suppose too that he thought I was missing only one or two when he offered to upload the ones I am missing.
Of course they are for my personal use or better yet, for my personal collection, I've been going all my life by the rules so no I nevr distribute anything, I'm a C.E.O. so no, I don't need what you call "personal gain" selling CDs, DVDs or whatever, thank you
We are talking about public betas that are offered here to anyone, even non registered users so I think they can be distributed to whoever you like as whoever can download them here.

1330b1?, I read a post here I think from November 2006 letting people know that public betas experiment was going to start and the first thread I found was 1.3.4 betas with 1340b1.
Yes, I only have a few hotfixes that are even more difficult to find than betas because they are always named winuae.zip so the very very few site that have downloadable old betas just keep the last hotfix replacing the old zip.

Old 22 September 2010, 00:09   #12
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
1330b1?, I read a post here I think from November 2006 letting people know that public betas experiment was going to start and the first thread I found was 1.3.4 betas with 1340b1.
Yes, 1330b1-1330b8. There was never an EAB thread concerning these betas. I learned that they existed by changing the filename in an early link to Toni's beta downloads folder.

Notwithstanding your comments above, it will be only when and if Toni gives me permission to distribute the betas I have which you require that I shall burn them to CD/DVD and send it to you at no charge if you PM me your address details.

Quote:
Yes, I only have a few hotfixes that are even more difficult to find than betas because they are always named winuae.zip so the very very few site that have downloadable old betas just keep the last hotfix replacing the old zip.
For this reason, I cannot guarantee the status of any hotfixed betas I have and so these will not be included.
Old 22 September 2010, 20:03   #13
A.M.C.

You don't have to wait for any "permission", Toni already gave them to me (Thanks Tony).

Thanks for your help

Old 22 September 2010, 21:00   #14
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
You don't have to wait for any "permission", Toni already gave them to me.