English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 13 August 2004, 23:16   #1
thige

Angry A1200 & PPC603e+ and 040 + bvision

Well , i just come to buy an A1200 with a blizzard ppc board with a bvision and i have some problems . I have os3.9 on a cdrom but no cdrom player on the amiga , so i transfered the cd with a null modem cable on the HD . Like i have only 3.0 roms , i took blizkick and a image of the 3.1 rom. When i try to install or create a emergency boot disk ,from the hd onstallation the amiga freeze and stop at 2% and reboot , what's happen ? it worked with winuae !!

I have another problem with the bvision , when i boot without hd , (no drivers installed yetcoz no cdplayer) from a workbench floppy disk , all is ok , i have the picture on the vga monitor and on the rgb monitor ,but when i connect the hd and reboot , i have a black screen and the amiga freeze , why ? i dont have the documentation of the bvision , anyone can help me ? i have spend a week on it , i'm going crazy with it .

Old 13 August 2004, 23:42   #2
RetroMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by thige
but when i connect the hd and reboot , i have a black screen and the amiga freeze , why ? i dont have the documentation of the bvision , anyone can help me ? i have spend a week on it , i'm going crazy with it .
Sounds like a weak PSU without enough power to get all things working .....
Old 14 August 2004, 00:03   #3
thige

well it's a pc 200W psu, it's not enough ???

Old 14 August 2004, 00:08   #4
RetroMan

It depends ! If you put all the power through the amiga power input at the motherboard it will fail, because the lines on the motherboard are too thin to bring the power everywhere required .....

Also, be sure to paste a passiv cooler onto the permedia2 chip of the BVision, 90% of all crashes with this config is due to overheating even after only a minute or so .... the 040 alone takes MUCH power and it too gets very hot .....
Old 14 August 2004, 07:09   #5
oldpx

Power, overheating, general direction of the wind, bvision and blizzardppc beg for a reason to cause problems. I can easily say that a ppc amiga is the crappiest piece of hardware you can ever use. Sold mine when I still had hair left.

Old 14 August 2004, 08:56   #6
thige

ok , maybe when the bvision is connected to the bppc ,the power is not enought but when i don't put the bvision , the amiga works fine during hours , under wb3.0 it nerver crash , why i have this freeze with the install of the os3.9 ? Is there noway to install from a hd partition, is this the reason of this freeze ? i tryed with amiga forever on the pc and no problem .Work better than amiga !! maybe blizzkick and the 3.1 roms. Someone have a configuration like this that run ?

for the bvision , i'm going to try to connect a wire from the psu on the bppc , on the connector fan (read it somewhere on the net) , to see if it crash again when i boot .

Old 14 August 2004, 21:27   #7
Korodny
Zone Friend

A1200 & PPC603e+ and 040 + bvision

Quote:
for the bvision , i'm going to try to connect a wire from the psu on the bppc , on the connector fan (read it somewhere on the net) , to see if it crash again when i boot .
DON'T DO THIS!

I know of at least one person that killed his BlizzardPPC this way.

Quote:
ok , maybe when the bvision is connected to the bppc ,the power is not enought but when i don't put the bvision , the amiga works fine during hours ,
A few things about the BPPC/040/BVision combo (I own such a setup):

1. The cards with a 68040 CPU have a known problem (at least 90% of them): Your computer will simply crash when you turn it on. In most cases, an additional, manual reset (CTRL-Amiga-Amiga) solves this problem. If your screen stays black after turning the machine on, reset the Amiga.

2. There are three really power hungry components connected to your expansion port (68040, PPC, Permidia2). If you only feed power through the original PSU connector, the power has to go through the whole motherboard until it reaches your expansionport - whatever finally reaches your BPPC/BVision is (in most cases) not enough to ensure stable operation of your expansions.

3. The original floppy power connector on your motherboard is located near the expansionport and you probably do not use it anymore (as your Amiga is in a tower case and the internal floppy is directly connected to the tower PSU). Simply connect one of the PSU's 'floppy disk drive' power plugs to this connector - this way the distance between the point where the power enters the motherboard and the expansionport is a lot shorter.

To make sure there's no misunderstanding: Connect one and the same PSU to both the original power connector of your motherboard aswell as the former 'floppy power connector' of your motherboard.

This should solve any power related stability issues. If it doesn't, you can still solder a power cable directly to the BPPC, but not on the fan connector.

Quote:
under wb3.0 it nerver crash , why i have this freeze with the install of the os3.9 ?
Does the crash always happen at the same point of the installation (i.e. always after 28% of the installation process have finished)? If yes, this is certainly not related to power or heat problems, but to your strange setup.

I would really recommend to buy 3.1 ROMs - installing 3.9 with 3.0 ROMs is a tricky process.

Quote:
Is there noway to install from a hd partition, is this the reason of this freeze? i tryed with amiga forever on the pc and no problem.
Did you install it under WinuAE using 3.0 ROMs? Did you install it under WinUAE from a HD partition? In other words: was the installation process you tried under WinUAE absolutely identical to the one you're now trying on the Amiga?

If not, go back to WinUAE and try to get it working with the same setup that your real Amiga has (no CD, 3.0 ROMs). Once it works under WinUAE, you can try it on the real thing.

Last edited by Korodny; 15 August 2004 at 17:29.
Old 15 August 2004, 14:05   #8
thige

ok , thank you for you advert. i did like you said , and miracle it works . No crash and freeze with the bvision. Like you said it's hangry with power.But my amiga is not yet in a tower. I bought one on ebay and waiting for it.
For my problem with the install with os3.9 , i have been able to install it this way : i have the iso mounted on the pc , and the amiga connected with a null modem cable to it. I have used pctoam to do like if i have the cd on my amiga. it was long but the install worked. But now , since i have os3.9 installed , when i want to access the iso on the pc , the window open but show nothing in it , but with the shell , i see all the files on the iso , any idea ??

is there a way to have a iso file mounted on the amiga (the image would be on the amiga hd partition) , like a virtual disk ? because i don't have cdrom , can't find the scsi connetor or adapter to link with the bvppc scsi-2 and the cdrom 50 pin connector. i couldnt install the driver of bvisonppc (it's on a cd)

Thank you and sorry for my bad english

Old 15 August 2004, 14:34   #9
Korodny
Zone Friend

I'm glad your problems were solved that easily - does not happen that often with PPC cards

Quote:
But now , since i have os3.9 installed , when i want to access the iso on the pc , the window open but show nothing in it , but with the shell, i see all the files on the iso , any idea ??
Sorry, I'm not familiar with pc2am...

Quote:
is there a way to have a iso file mounted on the amiga (the image would be on the amiga hd partition) , like a virtual disk ?
http://ftp.uni-paderborn.de/aminetbin/find?iso+mount

Oh, and don't worry about your english, we're able to understand you, that's what ounts
Old 15 August 2004, 16:21   #10
RetroMan

Better try VirtualCD -> http://www.lanser-web.com/lanser-onl.../virtualcd.lha
Old 16 August 2004, 00:09   #11
thige

Did you try virtualcd retroman ? can i make a iso of cybergraphx_4 with nero , transfer it to an partition on the amiga and mount it ?

Old 16 August 2004, 00:25   #12
RetroMan

AFAIK it cannot mount Nero Images, I tried with several CD32 games on my A1200 (Images made by CDRWin on PeCe I think) and it works fine
Old 16 August 2004, 16:01   #13
thige

ok , thank you for all those info. Didn't get virtualcd to work with nero image too.