English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

View Poll Results: What kind of Amiga user were (are) you?
Hardcore, I know the Amiga like the back of my hand. 12 19.05%
Hardcore, I am a hardware God! 1 1.59%
Hardcore, I may not know everything but I use(d) my Amiga daily. 27 42.86%
Moderate, I spent a good deal of time on my Amiga but I have a life, too. 1 1.59%
Moderate, I never learned to program but I knew my way around 12 19.05%
Moderate, I never got into anything but gaming, and I did a lot of that. 3 4.76%
Below average, I just use(d) my Amiga to game 5 7.94%
Below average, it was (is) a fun distraction, but nothing more. 0 0%
Below average, I just got into the Amiga scene with the advent of Amiga emulation 1 1.59%
What do you mean when you say Amiga? That is "Girlfriend" in Spanish or something, right? 1 1.59%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08 January 2003, 22:05   #1
APFelon
Cable Buyer

What kind of Amiga user are you?

I am just curious... How addicted to the Amiga were (are?) you?

I never learned anything on my Amiga other than gaming and piracy. Back in my Amiga days, all I could afford was a secondhand A500, a monitor, a second disk drive and a box full of pirated software. I wanted an 1200 REALLY bad, but I was priced out of it.

I know this forum brings Amiga users of all types together, and I am curious to know the "true" demographic by using a sloppily put together non-scientific poll.
Old 08 January 2003, 23:50   #2
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

I lived, breathed, slept, ate, drank Amiga. It was the first thing I cared about since music (and dairy goats...)
Old 09 January 2003, 01:57   #3
Miggy2TheMax

"Hardcore, I may not know everything but I use(d) my Amiga daily."

I think that would descibe me well in my amiga days. Whilst I never knew everything there was to know about amigas (I found there was always something more to learn about them) I'd use the 500 day in and day out, and much like twist I'd live and breath the machine...
Old 09 January 2003, 03:17   #4
Korodny
Zone Friend

I think Twistin' found the perfect description. We met each sunday at a friend's place and spent the whole day discussing Amiga-related things.

And I'm still using only Amigas, I guess that makes me pretty as hardcore as can be...
Old 09 January 2003, 11:28   #5
Mr Softy

Send a message via ICQ to Mr Softy Send a message via MSN to Mr Softy
Floppy disk

"Moderate, I never learned to program but I knew my way around".

I was ( I am still) VERY average... I played games, I used DSS 3.0, I knew my way around the Workbench and the HD stuff, but most of the Amiga OS still remains a mystery to me.

Aaah I wish I learned to code and tweak things!
Old 09 January 2003, 11:45   #6
BippyM
Global Moderator

I knew my way around like the back of my hand,
Used my Amiga from the moment I woke, till I slept from 1991 till 1998 (Pretty much). As I got older, and aquired a job and family time on it dwindled.

I did most things though, from dissassembling code (Which i didn't understand) to ripping graphics/music from games, I wrote huge tutorials on ripping graphics, using an action replay to train games and kept all the offsetts for all the games I did (Captive had hundreds)

This then progressed to me editing save files and save files which were on non-dos disks, this then progressed to me writing save game editors and other little tools.

I was an expert at configuring Dopus4 and had scripts/batch files etc for almost everything.

I ran a BBS for a couple of years.

I hacked Amiga's/mice/joysticks etc..

I did almost everything there was to do on an amiga

i opted for the

option but I am probably more "Hardcore" than that, and should have gone for option 1 or 2
Old 09 January 2003, 13:31   #7
NytroX86

I voted for "Moderate, I never got into anything but gaming, and I did a lot of that.". This is not strictly true since I was quite young (I'm only 16 now) and so had no need for anything else from the Amiga. I dabbled with AMOS and SEUCK but never managed anything particularily inspired, I never read the whole of the AMOS manuals and guides and the only game I wrote was Pong using pilfered code from a mag (Amiga Format?). With SEUCK I found it hard to draw decent characters and used to get bored after making one level .
I never drew art on my Amiga nor made any music, I couldn't understand the music maker programs and I never have been and still ain't any good at drawing with a mouse. So my Amigas were mainly used by me for games and the odd document for school, like a print from Grolier Encyclopedia.
Nowadays I've only got games for my Amiga, I have bought a copy of SEUCK but haven't the time to get into it. I think getting a Hard-Drive or a PC link for my Amiga would increase the amount I use it, but for now there ain't that much I can do on it.

Last edited by NytroX86; 08 February 2003 at 00:24.

Old 09 January 2003, 18:04   #8
LaundroMat

Gaming, "intro-coding" (the furthest I got to was a vert scroller with some fancy music and copper effects), reverse engineering (to create keyfiles for shareware), and AmigaE coding (mostly keyfilemakers and small MUI apps). Oh, and AMOS (before all the above): I created literally millions of games, but they were all aborted before something showable appeared.
Old 10 January 2003, 04:23   #9
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally posted by LaundroMat
Same here!

Used the bitch daily and I even got to some bits of advanced knowledge in order to fix the games for A600 compatibility ;p. Sometimes of course
Old 10 January 2003, 04:54   #10
sarek2k
E.A.B Addict and Proud

Send a message via MSN to sarek2k
"Moderate, I never learned to program but I knew my way around".

I did know my way around an Amiga i have since forgotten it all tho and setting up winuae on my Pc system was hard cause i took one look at workbench froze and thought S*it how do i do any of that but i have got back to grips with it now but only about 50% of what i did know!
Old 10 January 2003, 05:03   #11
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

I am not sure where I fit.

I never coded anything on my Amiga (Unless you count Seucking as coding ), and I used it mainly for gaming.. I did some stuff with Dpaint, Protracker and all, but I can say it was 90-95% gaming.

But then I used my amiga DAILY. There was no day I was in home that I wouldn't turn on my amiga. I also knew one or two things about it.

So, where do I vote ?
Old 10 January 2003, 05:15   #12
sarek2k
E.A.B Addict and Proud

Send a message via MSN to sarek2k
yeah i think their should be another section Skills gone but not forgotten in 90 to 95 i too never went a day without powering up Amiga after a cig and a brew(cup of tea related to substances used post) i would run down stairs and see what jiffy's i'd got thru post some of u may know relates to swapping games etc

The elation of getting an ace send through post and being a few of them too was great! I guess some of you will know what i am on about some won't the only downside was getting 5 of the same game

Of course now i am a happy winuae user and also about to be a UAE-X user on my Xbox back in front of the tv and not on cold pc monitor that will be gr8
Old 10 January 2003, 07:04   #13
v8juice

A 500, WB 1.3, got online in 1990 via Genie, managed to upload sound rips from games via action replay until someone noticed. Copied all but 6 of 200+ games, installed as many of the ones you can't install on a hard drive, on a hard drive via Bodega Bay. Did all my modifications, ad speed, flicker fixer, shuffle board, no problem. Mid 90's ECA showed me how to download pictures via unix & convert them one by one (WB 1.3 remember) so I guess I went hardcore at that point... Now, it's just the BSOD.
Old 10 January 2003, 09:55   #14
ECA
Obnoxious twit

I want to cry....
All the things I did on the amiga, and the c64 and STILL MS aint got it right.
Then they want to come out witha SERIAL based system, that aint got anything in it, except the graphics and cant run games. and call it AMIGA.
I had the Toaster, and was thinking of the Flyer, but no time or money. Tried to start a video production company, but the members were flakes.
Old 10 January 2003, 12:34   #15
Tim Janssen

Hardcore, I may not know everything but I use(d) my Amiga daily.

Well, I have chosen the above. Playing games (and collecting them!)was the major pastime on my Amiga. Second comes dabbling with Deluxe Paint, Octamed Pro and the Technosound Turbo sound sampler.
Old 11 January 2003, 01:44   #16
ElectroBlaster

Send a message via ICQ to ElectroBlaster
Years ago I ate, Drank, slept and talked nothing but Amiga!
i learned so much about these machines i became the local amiga nutter/guru who everybody wanted when their beloved miggys went tits up or need upgrading!

Nowadays i have a life, missus n kids etc.. still got my bit on the side LOL the amiga will never ever completely give her up or the hoards of stuff i have! much to the annoyance of my missus!
There is just summin about these amiga's that i cant quite put my finger on! no other machine has affected me like this? i must be a geek or summin?? LOL
Old 11 January 2003, 21:42   #17
Incomparabile

Send a message via ICQ to Incomparabile Send a message via MSN to Incomparabile Send a message via Yahoo to Incomparabile
Moderate, I never got into anything but gaming, and I did a lot of tha

Well, I've studied something for university (architecture), now I'm going to buy something Amiga after 12 years...
Old 11 January 2003, 23:50   #18
Severin

Send a message via ICQ to Severin
Hmmm, well I'm hardcore I suppose, I've used my amiga's since 1985 when I bought an A1000 (512k, monitor, external floppy), moved upto a B2000 in 1990 and an A4000 in 1994 that I'm still using every day (at least 10 hours)

I've got a few programs I wrote on Aminet, used to run an amiga club that had nearly 70 members at one point (It was a nightmare sorting out systems on a friday night at the meetings).

Very little gaming though, but done just about everything else.

For any that use it a new version of VolumeMeter will be realesed to aminet soon (with a few dopus m2 enhancements), email or pm me if you want an early copy