English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 03 June 2013, 19:48   #1
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

WinUAE 2.6.1 beta series

Quick 2.6.1 beta series. Only fixes and small updates.

http://www.winuae.net/files/b/winuae_2610b1.zip

Beta 1

- KS 1.3 OFS hardfile fix. Apparently 1.3 L:FastFileSystem does not support OFS. Use ROM built-in FS if OFS partition and hardfile FileSys path is empty. (2.6.0)
- Added emulation of unimplemented FPU instruction exceptions. New FPU "Unimplemented emu" option added to GUI: ticked = emulate all instructions (old behavior), Unticked = instructions not emulated, unimplemented instructions generate exceptions: 6888x: S or D variants are not supported (FSADD, FDADD etc..), 68040/060 only. 68040: usual removed instructions and FINT/FINTZ 68060: usual removed instructions, FTRAP, FDBcc and FScc. FINT and FINTZ are back. 68040/060 unimplemented datatype (packed decimal) is still emulated normally because unimplemented datatype exception requires special pre and post FPU-only exceptions. (This is not guaranteed to be perfect, not that easy to test fully)
- Hardware/software reset didn't reset SCSI emulation fully.
- A3000 KS 1.4 scsi driver wasn't fully compatible with SCSI emulation, write command got stuck in never ending loop. Only reads worked. (WD SCSI chip is quite flexible, it allows multiple and very different ways to send and process SCSI commands)
- Non-prefetch CPU mode RESET/JMP (An) combination detection did only check if it was located in chip ram, it didn't check Z2 Fast.
- Input panel Invert option added. Button and key presses become releases and vice versa. Joystick and mouse (if relative) movement is inverted.
- winuaeenforcer aros m68k debug.library segtracker-like support added.
- Added Tf debugger command that lists FileSystem.resource contents.
- Added system memory list dump option to debugger ('Tm')
- Merge >2M chip RAM with original chip ram pool instead of creating new one.
- Bitplane data (usually horizontally repeating) was visible if sprites were visible in border regions. (2.6.0)
- Do not emulate CIA TOD bug if MMU emulation is enabled, workaround for Amix boot hang. (Until real problem is found)
Old 03 June 2013, 22:11   #2
JumpingAnaconda

Hi Toni, I will give you feedback on how the invert option works with the iCade as soon as I can. Many thanks, Robert

Old 06 June 2013, 01:03   #3
JumpingAnaconda

Just to let you know, I have made an initial attempt to configure the iCade for use with Winuae using the 'invert' option, but I am getting unexpected behaviour. Any action on the joystick seems to getting stuck, and the invert key is failing to stop the action. It is possible that this is down to my configuration, and I know that this report is of little use to you, so I will do proper tests, confirm the existence of the issue and give you a full report that may be of practical use as soon as I get a chance. Thanks again for your efforts.

Old 06 June 2013, 10:28   #4
Dr.Venom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Quick 2.6.1 beta series. Only fixes and small updates.

- Bitplane data (usually horizontally repeating) was visible if sprites were visible in border regions. (2.6.0)
Hi Toni,

Thanks for fixing the issue with the Essence demo, working perfectly again (http://eab.abime.net/support-winuae/...e-2-6-0-a.html)
Old 07 June 2013, 21:17   #5
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpingAnaconda View Post
Just to let you know, I have made an initial attempt to configure the iCade for use with Winuae using the 'invert' option, but I am getting unexpected behaviour. Any action on the joystick seems to getting stuck, and the invert key is failing to stop the action. It is possible that this is down to my configuration, and I know that this report is of little use to you, so I will do proper tests, confirm the existence of the issue and give you a full report that may be of practical use as soon as I get a chance. Thanks again for your efforts.
Does http://www.winuae.net/files/b/winuae.zip change anything?

Problem (at least one possible problem) is annoying PC keyboard hardware which repeats and there is no way for software to know if press is real press or a repeat press. I think I managed to create algorithm that filters repeats and still allows presses without matching release.
Old 08 June 2013, 16:04   #6
JumpingAnaconda

Hi Toni,

Sorry, I had it configured wrong. I have now tried it in both the 2013.06.03 and 2013.06.08 betas with Joytest V1.0b by Carlos Peris and it is now working in all four directions and with the first first key. Sorry for the confusion.

The mistake I had made is that I had the invert states around the wrong way. I had invert set to 'yes' on the release keys. I have swapped them around and it is now all fixed. I will test in Sensible Soccer and other games.

Regarding the filtering, I am not sure if that would be necessary as the iCade on ever sends a character when the switch is triggered or released, it never sends repeating keys as if you were holding down a key on a normal HID keyboard.

Sorry again for the confusion, and thank you for your efforts. I will test further and feedback.

Robert

Old 08 June 2013, 16:26   #7
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Does the original beta #1 really work? WinUAE did filter key press if key was previously pressed and release event hasn't been detected yet. This needs to be done because WinUAE of course must work with normal PC keyboards. (8.6.2013 version tries to be more intelligent and only filters repeating key press if another key release event has been detected)

Also host key to Amiga input event (key, joystick, mouse etc..) conversion filtered keys without release events. There is no way it worked previously.

Unless you did something else and I misunderstood
Old 08 June 2013, 17:15   #8
JumpingAnaconda

Hi Toni,

Unless I got muddled with which beta I was running, yes it did work with the first beta. I will test again later to confirm it 100%.

I believe that iCade sends a normal key press, including the keypress and release. If you open notepad while the iCade is connected by bluetooth as a HID keyboard, if you push up you see a single 'w', then whenever you release you see a single 'e'. As a move in any direction (even if it is a release) is like a normal full key press and release then I am not sure if you would need to filter that. But I do not have a very good understanding of how this stuff works.

I'll test again and let you know shortly. In the meantime, I've tried Speedball II and SWOS and they have been working fine!

Great work!

Robert

Old 08 June 2013, 18:32   #9
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

So it actually always sends both press and release. I thought it only sent presses. It explains why it works when it shouldn't have worked and why you had to invert the press, not release.

up: w press -> inverted to release -> emulated joystick up release -> does nothing (it was already released). w release -> inverted to press -> converted to up direction -> emulated joystick up.

release up: e press -> emulated joystick up direction -> does nothing because up direction was already set. e release -> up release -> joystick centered.

I didn't design it to handle this but it works accidentally
Old 08 June 2013, 23:01   #10
JumpingAnaconda

How serendipitous!

In my opinion, the iCade functionality works really well. I am using a £1 USB bluetooth dongle on a Windows 7 machine. I am not yet able to notice the delay you would expect via a bluetooth connection. Hopefully this will help convince a few other emulator developers to support it!

The actual device only cost me £20 from Amazon. The components are very good for the price, but it is reported that it is pretty easy to upgrade the joystick and buttons with arcade quality components if you so wish. Now that Mr Wilen has added support, I would recommend this as a great cheap way to get hold of a wireless multi-button joystick!

The only major problem is if you are using Windows 8, which has trouble with pairing with this device because in this OS there is no obvious way to disable the pairing code on this OS, but that is for another non-winuae thread...

Toni, are you likely to keep the current invert behaviour as it is, or will you adjust it to fit how the iCade actually works? Once you have settled on this I shall try and make time to make a guide showing others how to set up and configure it.

Thanks again!

Old 09 June 2013, 12:30   #11
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpingAnaconda View Post
Toni, are you likely to keep the current invert behaviour as it is, or will you adjust it to fit how the iCade actually works?
I won't change it, at least until something requires it. Doing it "the right way" would be much more complex, simple "invert" option wouldn't work.
Old 12 June 2013, 16:43   #12
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

http://www.winuae.net/files/b/winuae_2610b2.zip

Beta 2:

- Moved >2M Chip RAM merge earlier in boot process. Previous was too late and it broke early boot menu. (It sets reset proof resident positioned at the end of chip ram and if chip ram is not available early enough, exec assumes resident is invalid and ignores it). Now nearly complete unfragmented Chip RAM is available, even if booting with Chip RAM only configuration.
- Do not filter all keyboard presses without matching releases, only filter repeats. (Which isn't that simple because press and repeating press are identical events)
- Inverted keyboard releases (=press) required matching release before next press event was accepted. (This update wasn't really needed but maybe in future it will be more useful)
- Added separate 68060 unimplemented integer emulation checkbox. More compatible should only enable/disable prefetch emulation. (approximate/partial or 68000 exact)
- 68060 MOVEP was not marked as unimplemented.
- Non-prefetch CPU mode now fully checks if memory disappears after reset by checking memory "bank" pointers instead of using hardcoded addresses. Program doing software reset by executing RESET + JMP (An) now always works. (If opcode is something else or PC points to non-existing memory for some reason, it assumes program attempted normal software reset and jumps to start of ROM code). Makes aros arosbootstrap softkick more reliable under emulation.
- Tree view "Hard drives" -> "CD & Hard drives"
- Delay 68020+ interrupt detection by one instruction unless cycle exact is enabled. (For example Skeleton Krew CD32 first enables interrupt and then updates interrupt vector. Game code even guarantees request is active while enabling interrupts..)
- 68040 MMU PTEST and 68060 MMU PLPA instructions were shown incorrectly by debugger. (Read was shown as write and vice versa. Emulation was working fine)

TODO: hq2x shader filter fix and 2.6.1 should be mostly done.
Old 12 June 2013, 21:54   #13
Dr.Venom

Hi Toni,

I'm experiencing a crash when using 128MB or more of Z3 Fast. I normally use 64MB but wanted to try out more to be able to start Starstruck from Picasso Workbench. With 64MB everything works fine, but setting any larger size makes it crash (with guru error) before opening Workbench.

Logs attached. I also attached the normal (64MB) configuration plus logs, as a reference for the properly working case.
Attached Files
File Type: zip A1200(RTG)(FP)(128MB).zip (100.8 KB, 271 views)
File Type: zip A1200(RTG)(FP).zip (17.1 KB, 251 views)
Old 13 June 2013, 08:23   #14
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Venom View Post
Hi Toni,

I'm experiencing a crash when using 128MB or more of Z3 Fast. I normally use 64MB but wanted to try out more to be able to start Starstruck from Picasso Workbench. With 64MB everything works fine, but setting any larger size makes it crash (with guru error) before opening Workbench.

Logs attached. I also attached the normal (64MB) configuration plus logs, as a reference for the properly working case.
Does 2.6.0 work? Did 2.6.1b1 have same problem?
Old 13 June 2013, 12:45   #15
Dr.Venom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Does 2.6.0 work? Did 2.6.1b1 have same problem?
The issue is the same with both 2.6.0 and 2.6.1b1. Log for 2.6.1b1 also attached.
Attached Files
File Type: zip winuaelog_b1.zip (603.5 KB, 244 views)
Old 13 June 2013, 12:55   #16
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

You need to find the program in startup-sequence that causes the crash. (May not be anything to do with winuae if older versions also have same crash)

EDIT: code doing weird things is located at the end of Z3 fast which is a bit suspicious.

Last edited by Toni Wilen; 13 June 2013 at 13:12.
Old 14 June 2013, 01:38   #17
Dr.Venom

Indeed. The culprit is the utility MCP 1.48. More specifically the option in the "Patches" tab called "NoGuru". After turning that one off the problem is gone. Thanks..
Old 15 June 2013, 19:51   #18
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

http://www.winuae.net/files/b/winuae_2610b3.zip

Beta 3: (Official will be out next week)

- Direct3D hq2x shader filter should work correctly again. (2.6.0)
- 68040/060 MMU mode address error stack frame fixed. (Possibly only debuggers need this)
- 68030 MMU mode address error stack frame has correct format but it is not yet recoverable. (I don't think address error recovery is used by any OS)
- FScc, FTRAP and FBcc didn't get FPU out of NULL state. (No one cares fix)
- extraframewait and framelatency command line parameters are also available via config file (uses win32. prefix)
Old 17 June 2013, 06:25   #19
Leandro Jardim

The RTG combo-box on the display panel remains disabled if 24 bit addressing is enabled and if you enable the emulation of the (simpler) Zorro-II Picasso board.
Old 17 June 2013, 17:30   #20
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

http://www.winuae.net/files/b/winuae_2610b4.zip

Beta 4: (possibly final)

- Added new level between pre and post shaders (0 in GUI, selected by default) which works exactly like pre-2.6.0 versions. Some shaders (hq2x for example) requires input texture in original Amiga display resolution and output texture in final output resolution or result will be quite crappy. D3D h2x really works again.
- Some on the fly graphics config settings (uae-configuration) reset RTG state.
- RTG screen mode selection in Display panel wasn't active if Z2 RTG was enabled.
- AROS ROM updated.