English Amiga Board


Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 11 June 2018, 18:00   #1
SpeedGeek
Registered User
SpeedGeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Wisconsin USA
Age: 55
Posts: 416
Lightbulb FastRom2MB

FastRom2MB 1.1 for 68020/030 ©SpeedGeek 2018

INTRODUCTION:
FastRom2MB is an MMU tool which provides up to 2MB Kickstart ROM support to the AmigaOS "CPU" command. The CPU command already remaps the Standard 512KB ROM so this tool just remaps the Extended ROMs and MMU write protects the ROM images.

FEATURES:
- Remaps 512KB Extended ROM @ $E00000
- Remaps 1MB Extended ROM @ $A80000
- MMU write protects Standard and Extended ROMs
- Remaps only into available Fast RAM
- Uses ROM header detection code
- 100% assembler code

REQUIREMENTS:
- 68020 or 68030 CPU with MMU
- 1MB or 2MB Kickstart ROM installed (for remapping)
- AmigaOS CPU command (with FASTROM enabled)

NOTES:
There are only 3 Amiga models (A600, A1200 and CD32) which support 2MB of ROM. Please consider the ROM vs. Fast RAM speed before remapping. If you want to speed up copy operations see the CMQ&B.txt (included).

MMU write protection is over-rated! This tool will NOT prevent your system from crashing! But it will increase the chances of having a "Software Failure" which is useful for debugging purposes.

HISTORY:
v1.0 - First release
v1.1 - Merged FastRomWP code with existing 1MB and 2MB code so the 1MB and WP variants are now obsolete.
Attached Files
File Type: lha FASTROM2MB11.LHA (2.7 KB, 39 views)

Last edited by SpeedGeek; 07 November 2018 at 16:01.
SpeedGeek is offline  
Old 12 June 2018, 09:53   #2
Lorfarius
Registered User
Lorfarius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Glossop/UK
Posts: 440
In English if anyone can't figure out to translate it:

FastRom2MB 1.0
A new small Roma remapping utility with the MMU for Kickstart 2MB consisting in moving their contained in Fast RAM to accelerate somewhat the OS.

Works very well with my Blizzard 1230

Kickstart 2MB consist of three blocks:

to $ F80000 (512 KB) maprom managed by the CPU control
to $ e00000 (512 KB) managed by maprom FastRom2MB
to $ A80000 (1 MB) managed by maprom FastRom2MB


Caution for now, the new kickstart are large freezer of the 68060.library Phase5 when charged by the Blizzard SetPatch with 1260 ...

As usual, everything is available here free way ...
Lorfarius is offline  
Old 30 October 2018, 18:25   #3
SpeedGeek
Registered User
SpeedGeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Wisconsin USA
Age: 55
Posts: 416
** NEWS UPDATE **

FastRom2MB 1.1 released!

v1.1 - Merged FastRomWP code with existing 1MB and 2MB code so the 1MB and WP variants are now obsolete.

NOTE: The first 6 users downloaded a typo version of 1.1. The message now reads "$F80000 (STD) ROM write protected!"

Last edited by SpeedGeek; 30 October 2018 at 21:07.
SpeedGeek is offline  
Old 01 November 2018, 18:15   #4
hooverphonique
ex. demoscener "Bigmama"
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Fyn / Denmark
Posts: 820
Would it be possible to support kickstart images in files as well? This way larger kickstarts could be conveniently used by other machines.
hooverphonique is offline  
Old 02 November 2018, 15:32   #5
SpeedGeek
Registered User
SpeedGeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Wisconsin USA
Age: 55
Posts: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooverphonique View Post
Would it be possible to support kickstart images in files as well? This way larger kickstarts could be conveniently used by other machines.
Possible yes, but IMO not very practical. This tool relies on MMU code from the CPU command and it has no support code for loading Kickstart image files. So, it's another start all over from scratch project. But the MMU is the least reliable way to handle this particular task.

First, accelerator card custom maprom hardware with MEMF_LOCAL (memory which does not disappear at reset) is the most reliable. Next, Softkick (which requires a lot of ROM image file patching but no MMU code). Last, MMU re-kicking (which requires KickTags, Cold/Warm_capture hacks, exec_base in MEMF_LOCAL, handling expansion.library problems and MMU code but no ROM image file patching).

Finally, after all the above work, only the first option seems to work reliably with many different versions of AmigaOS.
SpeedGeek is offline  
Old 05 November 2018, 15:38   #6
hooverphonique
ex. demoscener "Bigmama"
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Fyn / Denmark
Posts: 820
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedGeek View Post
Possible yes, but IMO not very practical. This tool relies on MMU code from the CPU command and it has no support code for loading Kickstart image files. So, it's another start all over from scratch project. But the MMU is the least reliable way to handle this particular task.

First, accelerator card custom maprom hardware with MEMF_LOCAL (memory which does not disappear at reset) is the most reliable. Next, Softkick (which requires a lot of ROM image file patching but no MMU code). Last, MMU re-kicking (which requires KickTags, Cold/Warm_capture hacks, exec_base in MEMF_LOCAL, handling expansion.library problems and MMU code but no ROM image file patching).

Finally, after all the above work, only the first option seems to work reliably with many different versions of AmigaOS.

That sounds a bit hairy - my train of thought was that extending an existing MMU-based solution would be easy to do (just copy the image from file instead of rom)... Of course the point about MEMF_LOCAL is important.. I remember having used Set040 for this in the past on my A4k, but don't remember if it was through the A3640 maprom feature, or MMU-based.
hooverphonique is offline  
Old 07 November 2018, 18:23   #7
SpeedGeek
Registered User
SpeedGeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Wisconsin USA
Age: 55
Posts: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooverphonique View Post
That sounds a bit hairy - my train of thought was that extending an existing MMU-based solution would be easy to do (just copy the image from file instead of rom)... Of course the point about MEMF_LOCAL is important.. I remember having used Set040 for this in the past on my A4k, but don't remember if it was through the A3640 maprom feature, or MMU-based.
Yes, hairy, messy, complicated and buggy. Loading a file in to Fast RAM is the easy part. The hard part is trying to make the re-kick operation work reliably. Set040 used Chip RAM and the MMU so it works without any custom Maprom hardware but as previously explained, the custom Maprom hardware is still the most reliable.

Anyway, if you want a more detailed explanation you should read the "Technical Details" for CpuControl106:

http://aminet.net/util/boot/CpuControl106.lha

Last edited by SpeedGeek; 11 November 2018 at 14:52.
SpeedGeek is offline  
 


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 21:21.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Page generated in 0.08441 seconds with 15 queries