English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 29 May 2004, 14:17   #21
ant512

Got another one:

Assassin
This got 90%+ scores in pretty much every magazine that reviewed it. It is a slow, tedious, empty and pointless clone of Strider.
Old 29 May 2004, 16:03   #22
Dizzy
Pirate

LEMMINGS

US GOLD
Yes the company - they sucked
Old 29 May 2004, 22:35   #23
barkingboy
Zone Friend

The only game that springs to mind right now is Chuck Rock. I always found it rather tedious, but my friends loved it for some reason.
Old 30 May 2004, 01:50   #24
Bombjacker
Two-bit whore

SWOS

Crap football game that all those who didn't have the skill to play Kick Off 2 or Goal! loved up.
Old 30 May 2004, 12:38   #25
JudasEZT

MagicPockets.. this game is good, but something fails. In game music would helped to make it more cute.

Banshee.. again this game is good, but something fails. I guess the energy level system doesnt works properly, I mean you do not feel worry when you receive a shoot. In xenon2 energy works better.
Old 30 May 2004, 13:16   #26
Titler
Zone Friend

Xenon 1 It was used on one of those Saturday morning TV programs, all the magazines raved about how arcade-like it was at the time... it was even (iirc) used in the arcades as part of an Amiga-multiplay type set up; but let's face it, even at the time, it was crap. Apart from the metallic sheen, which would be done many times later many many times better, it just wasn't a new or even well made game. The sprite movement of the enemies and their bullets in particular seem particularily 'off'.

Jaguar XJ220 Not too hyped on the Amiga, but the Megadrive versions were... and I got the impression it was because people were so enamoured of the real life car, rather than the game... Perhaps the reviewers were given a ride in it as a "promotion"? Because the game was so horribly average. The only real fun I had was making my own first name out of the track under the editor... but that kind of revealed the horrible limits of such games: Look, it's just a line, which bends occasionally, with objects stuck on the side. After that epiphany, I could never look at the genre the same again.

Monkey Island 1/2 Humor is something intensely personal... J. Nash called "Friends" 'queasily hyper-American', and I agree. Amiga Power called Monkey Island incredibly clever and witty, but I disagree. It was mildly amusing, and often wilfully illogical for the sake of humor which didn't work for me. *shrugs* But that's just my own tastes, not really the games fault.

On the other hand... Iron Man Stewarts Super Off Road Racer Ok, let's be more specific... not the game, the crack-tro at the start. You know the one I mean. "Can ya feel it, Angels?" Imagine the scene: You go to see a friend. "Hey man, ya gotta see this!". At the next house "Got a new game, so funny..." I don't think I actually got to play the game myself though until I managed to grab a copy and take it home... the intro was all anyone was interested in! Yes, I get it... we are a bunch of horny teenager, and it's wuuude. But it's just not that big or clever to me. And that goes for you too, Mr Leisure Suit Larry!

Rock N Roll I just never really got into it. It's not a bad game, it's just very much based upon playability, and such games either grab you or don't. That one didn't, although lots of people loved it.

Sword Of Sodan Never highly rated, except in the 'my machine roxxor' crowd, but still...'Look at the graphics.... looooooook at zem!'. But er... it plays like crap. 'Yes, but look at zem!'.

*must ... stop... ranting... now!*
Old 30 May 2004, 14:56   #27
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Thumbs down

Operation Stealth by Delphine. Or how to take a good James Bondish adventure game & ruin it with a dodgy game interface, & more so rediculous arcade sequences. The pixel perfection needed on some occasions in this game completely ruined any atmosphere that might've otherwise occurred- I recall nightmares towards the end swimming amongst dodgy sprite detecting sharks enroute to the underground base-though quite tame when compared to the mazes inside requiring pixel timing perfection.

And have to add Batman the Movie: Despite the raving about the 3D driving/flying sections the 3D movement was very jerky, especially compared to the smooth up/down & general speediness & smoothness of Lotus Esprit's 3D a year or so later.
Old 31 May 2004, 13:37   #28
Muzkat
Into the Wonderful

Turrican II I thought the first was much, much better. The graphics were prettier in the first, the tunes grabbed me more, and the levels were more interesting to explore and play on. And the game didn't look like a sequel, because not that much had been changed from the original, and I found that a let down.

Rick Dangerous series Funny games...for a few minutes. Then you realise how horrible the controls and the gameplay are.

Prince of Persia Too difficult - one false move and you cop a sword in your gut, spikes into your pants, or you mistime a jump and miss the ledge. Then it is back to the start of the level again. Hair-pullingly frustrating.

Final Fight Because it was a rubbish conversion with no music, a grand total of 2 sound effects, and gameplay that had been raped and mutilated.

Magic Pockets The monsters took too long to kill, and the game became quite boring after a while.

Any soccer game I can't play them for peanuts, no matter what soccer game it is.
Old 02 June 2004, 09:01   #29
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzkat

[B
Final Fight[/B] Because it was a rubbish conversion with no music, a grand total of 2 sound effects, and gameplay that had been raped and mutilated.
Totally agree-although the Title music was very nice,& a funny, if in a sad kind of way cheat mode from the programmer-otherwise, a game that only looked good static screen-wise, once it moved it only had 1/3 of the game content if you're lucky, very dissapointing. It seemed the push for big game sprites was done at the expense of everything else
Old 02 June 2004, 09:57   #30
Bombjacker
Two-bit whore

I think virtuall every game by the Bitmap Bros.

Xenon II - I quite liked it but is was a disappointment afeter all the hype.

Magic Pockets - agree with the earlier posts.

Cadaver - no that much of an advance from isometric perspective games on the Spectrum - I think Head Over Heels was a better game.

Gods - everyone seemed to like it but I found it quite a dull action platformer. Much better was available on the Megadrive, such as Revenge of Shinobi.

There may be more I just can't remember them all.
Old 02 June 2004, 11:10   #31
BobRedthorp
Huge member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary
Zool : I couldn't understand why most magazines hyped this one up so much. They also called it a 'Sonic beater' which was really pathetic.
I have to agree with you there, what the hell was that all about! ???
Old 02 June 2004, 12:57   #32
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombjacker
I think virtuall every game by the Bitmap Bros.

Xenon II - I quite liked it but is was a disappointment afeter all the hype.

Magic Pockets - agree with the earlier posts.

Cadaver - no that much of an advance from isometric perspective games on the Spectrum - I think Head Over Heels was a better game.

Gods - everyone seemed to like it but I found it quite a dull action platformer. Much better was available on the Megadrive, such as Revenge of Shinobi.

There may be more I just can't remember them all.
DIE!!!!!! You>> <<Me
Old 02 June 2004, 13:02   #33
Freakyweakywoo
(c) killergorilla 2007

Yes Dast, some people dont like bitman bros games, this might be hard for you to belive but I will council you through it on IRC later.

I'll use me distraction trick
Old 02 June 2004, 13:16   #34
Bombjacker
Two-bit whore

I never said that all Bitmap Bros games were crap or that I didn't like them.

I just think they are amongst the most overated games on the Amiga. They were good but not as good as the reviewers in the press or general opinion seem to think they were.

Which reminds me:

Chaos Engine - I quite liked but it was really just a rip-off of Gauntlet with a different style, and Gauntlet was better and came out in the Arcade 6 to 7 years before Chaos Engine.

Speedball - Okay as future sports games go. Limited in gameplay though. Not enough variety. There haven't really been any other good ones that I can recall, unless you call Unreal Tournament a future sports games (when its really a FPS).

Speedball 2 - Much improved over the original, the violent aspect was a lot of fun,but after a few days play it still suffers from not enough variety in what you can do with a ball. Still pales against decent footaball games (such as Kick Off, Goal!, and even though I don't like it much SWOS) in terms of variety of what you can do with a ball.
Old 02 June 2004, 23:49   #35
Drake1009

Well bombjacker I thought there was plenty of difference between chaos engine and Gauntlet. Different weapons, less enemies, no killing enemies by going into melee and so on. Plus it had a plot of sorts. It more reminds me of a better version of alien breed if anything.
Old 03 June 2004, 01:03   #36
JudasEZT

I dont think that be a gauntlet-clone be a reason to devaluate the game. Because the game is funny and long,.. and technically is superb.

Last edited by JudasEZT; 03 June 2004 at 01:45.
Old 03 June 2004, 02:44   #37
StarEye
Zone Friend

Seriously, why the hell do all of you people like amiga anyway? I mean, looks like it's suddenly a sport attacking great quality games. How can games that defined the amiga, like Lemmings, Lotus, Sensible Soccer, Kick Off 2, SWOS, Speedball 2, Lionheart, Turrican, Chaos Engine, Gods, Cadaver, Rick Dangerous, Monkey Island 1/2 and so on even be considered overrated games? I'm getting my doubts about you people.

This thread isn't "overrated games". It's a "games I don't like and therefore is a pile of trash" thread.

And out of curiousity, do you feel better by stating you don't like a classic title?

oh, and even if this sounded extremely negative, it wasn't meant that way. I was just a bit shocked to see all these titles.

Only one I agree on here is Zool though. It's not as good as the reviewers said, but it's an okay game. Still, I connect it to the amiga in a warm fuzzy way because of the music and graphics and sound effects. But it's certainly not a Sonic beater (even though I don't think Sonic is THAT cool).
Old 03 June 2004, 07:34   #38
oldpx

Yeah!

Old 03 June 2004, 07:48   #39
oldpx

OK, to be precise, the only common things between Gauntlet and CE are:
1-Both have top-down view
2-In both, you can direct the character in every 45 degrees.

Reason for 2 is simple, joysticks are made this way! This leaves us with the similarity in the perspective that means we can also relate every shoot'em up with space invaders and every console rpg with final fantasy 1.

You don't keep running into enemies in CE and expect to remain alive but in gauntlet, there's no official way to screw up your game. You can buy more energy with additional coins and the game doesn't imply how bad you're doing. Running into enemies is a part of the gameplay! Sure there are different characters to select but you also select from three characters in golden axe which is like.....UNREAL TOURNAMENT RIGHT!?!?!?!?!?!???!

Old 03 June 2004, 09:11   #40
manicx

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarEye
Seriously, why the hell do all of you people like amiga anyway? I mean, looks like it's suddenly a sport attacking great quality games. How can games that defined the amiga, like Lemmings, Lotus, Sensible Soccer, Kick Off 2, SWOS, Speedball 2, Lionheart, Turrican, Chaos Engine, Gods, Cadaver, Rick Dangerous, Monkey Island 1/2 and so on even be considered overrated games? I'm getting my doubts about you people.

This thread isn't "overrated games". It's a "games I don't like and therefore is a pile of trash" thread.

And out of curiousity, do you feel better by stating you don't like a classic title?

oh, and even if this sounded extremely negative, it wasn't meant that way. I was just a bit shocked to see all these titles.

Only one I agree on here is Zool though. It's not as good as the reviewers said, but it's an okay game. Still, I connect it to the amiga in a warm fuzzy way because of the music and graphics and sound effects. But it's certainly not a Sonic beater (even though I don't think Sonic is THAT cool).
Well said...