English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 13 July 2012, 11:52   #21
Catflap

Doom is the obvious one, but before that it was Jetfighter II - because I loved FA18 Interceptor and JFII had loads of missions.
Old 13 July 2012, 12:14   #22
Gordon
Settler

I went to playstation becuase i couldnt buy AMiga games in shops anymore and was too young to know how to source them elsewhere. I didnt get a pc until 1999. But always had an amiga.
Old 13 July 2012, 15:05   #23
merlin1968

Doom.....
Old 13 July 2012, 16:04   #24
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4p View Post
Which game convinced you that you must have a PC resulting in you abandoning your Amiga? Or did you only leave because all your friends did?
When someone gave me a Pentium 3 for free, that became my main machine, but I never abandoned the Amiga at all, and have had one since my first one twenty years ago.
Old 13 July 2012, 23:03   #25
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Never stopped with Amiga, I had to use PC's because that was where the work was going so it was a necessity to go with it for for work purposes.

Other than a few games like Fade to Black (Flashback in 3D) and a couple of others, I really wasn't all that into PC games at all.

Got involved in PC cracking, but by then was utterly bored by it all, and the PC side of things was work only, with still regular use on the Amiga.

Got myself a Playstation, used that for about a year and then sold it all, that too didn't really grip me, still used Amiga.

Got myself a Playstation 2 late in the day, that had me hooked for a while, in fact upto the point I sold it as I had bought a PS3 when they first came out, but still, I have the Amigas and they are used.

Is the Call of Duty series on PS3 graphically superior to Alien Breed 3D on Amiga? Certainly, no question, but that doesn't make Amiga games any less playable.

Also a lot of the 2D stuff on Amiga has aged very well indeed.

Take some of the Amigas premier titles, forget playability for one second, and simply think of presentation.

A hell of a lot of those games could make it onto XBox Arcade, Playstation Minis, and could easily hold their own without much in the way of graphic upgrades.

Certainly a lot of premier Amiga titles wouldn't look out of place on IOS or Android, but look at the premier titles on PC, PS1 back in the day, and they are horrible to look at.

Still using Amiga, and will continue to do so, its been such a part of my life for such a long time, that I can't see me stopping.

I will continue so long as there are like minded people who feel the same.
Old 13 July 2012, 23:15   #26
alkis21
Zone Friend

Send a message via MSN to alkis21
Like others, it wasn't games for me either. I just needed Microsoft Access. The Amiga remained and still remains my main gaming machine.
Old 13 July 2012, 23:54   #27
lordofchaos
TinkerTailorContentMaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
Never stopped with Amiga, I had to use PC's because that was where the work was going so it was a necessity to go with it for for work purposes.

Other than a few games like Fade to Black (Flashback in 3D) and a couple of others, I really wasn't all that into PC games at all.

Got involved in PC cracking, but by then was utterly bored by it all, and the PC side of things was work only, with still regular use on the Amiga.

Got myself a Playstation, used that for about a year and then sold it all, that too didn't really grip me, still used Amiga.

Got myself a Playstation 2 late in the day, that had me hooked for a while, in fact upto the point I sold it as I had bought a PS3 when they first came out, but still, I have the Amigas and they are used.

Is the Call of Duty series on PS3 graphically superior to Alien Breed 3D on Amiga? Certainly, no question, but that doesn't make Amiga games any less playable.

Also a lot of the 2D stuff on Amiga has aged very well indeed.

Take some of the Amigas premier titles, forget playability for one second, and simply think of presentation.

A hell of a lot of those games could make it onto XBox Arcade, Playstation Minis, and could easily hold their own without much in the way of graphic upgrades.

Certainly a lot of premier Amiga titles wouldn't look out of place on IOS or Android, but look at the premier titles on PC, PS1 back in the day, and they are horrible to look at.

Still using Amiga, and will continue to do so, its been such a part of my life for such a long time, that I can't see me stopping.

I will continue so long as there are like minded people who feel the same.
Amen to that, if there was a salute emoticon I would use it so `ill just settle for this one
Old 14 July 2012, 13:42   #28
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methanoid View Post
Grimrock looks worth paying for. Have you tried the HD versions of Dungeon Master?
Grimrock most certainly is!!!!

94% in RetroGamer and I feel its a damn fair score!!!

I went with the cheeky pre-order from GOG, and with that got about 8 FREE games - including beneath a steel sky and lure of the temptress! all the games are re-engineered to work on newer operating systems including XP/Vista and Win7 in most cases!

So my £7.50 was spent over 6 nights now, and my brother and I are only on the 4th level dungeon. We play the game in the hardest mode with no auto mapping - and yes my cartography skill were VERY rusty!!! LOL

Its a great game and it certainly brings back that BUZZ for intrepid dungeon delving.

Now.... whats this you say about HD versions of dungeon master?!
Old 14 July 2012, 13:52   #29
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

X-Wing
Old 14 July 2012, 15:41   #30
Christian
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_hairy_bootson View Post
X-Wing

Oh yeah! awesome, and Tie-Fighter, X-Wing v Tie-Fighter.

Bit of a shame that some people missed out some AMAZING PC games.
Old 14 July 2012, 16:56   #31
humble worm

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4p View Post
Which game convinced you that you must have a PC resulting in you abandoning your Amiga?
Warhammer - Shadow of the Horned Rat
Old 14 July 2012, 17:17   #32
Allen1

Definitely DOOM
Old 14 July 2012, 17:22   #33
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

It wasn't really DooM (though I played it the most on my first PC), but CD games like Myst, 7th Guest and Wing Commander 3 for me. I still used my Amiga for half a year until it 'died' and I completely switched to the PC and consoles for gaming.
Old 14 July 2012, 17:31   #34
Coagulus
Gets there in the end...

it wasn't PC games that made me defect, it was the fact that I could get emulators running fullspeed. PC Engine, Megadrive, Snes and Atari ST initially. Used Fellow to play some Amiga games and as Amiga emulation got better and better, I used my real Amigas less and less!

[EDIT] not that I really "defected", I still have 5 Amigas!

Last edited by Coagulus; 14 July 2012 at 17:32. Reason: extra bit
Old 14 July 2012, 18:03   #35
Cpt. Hindsight

I guess it was 2000 or 2001, when I bought my first PC, but I used a 386 since the midnineties. I liked Ultima Underworld, Warcraft 1 and Wing Commander 2 a lot. Unfortunately, I was silly enough, to sell my Amiga 1200 with 1.2GB hd, cd and an M-Tec '030 card in the late nineties for almost nothing and I can't remember anymore, why I did it(women?, alcohol?, insanity?, probably a mixture of them all).
Old 14 July 2012, 19:26   #36
Kehil

For me it were not mainly games but Turbo Pascal, Eagle and other SW needed for my final high school project in 1998. Doom was something like bonus.
Old 14 July 2012, 21:10   #37
Geraldine
Amigas4Ever!

Location: Sunny Scotland. Anarchy System Tech Level 0 No Police Presence. Enter At Own Risk!
Well in my case, it was my Amiga 4000 that defected from me! Damn thing broke down (CS MkIII problems) so I stuck it in a cardboard box to teach it a lesson for 10 years! Its been paroled now.
Anyways, that happened around 2000, so I bought my first PeeCee an AMD Athlon XP based heap o crap. First game I got for it was either Unreal or Deus Ex. Already had Quake, Earth 2140 and Doom on the Miggy. ADoom was way better than the standard PC version of Doom
Old 15 July 2012, 08:58   #38
Buzzfuzz

For me it was Command & Conquer and the first Need For Speed, when I saw that I was like : and then

I played C&C for hours on LAN parties, Doom was also quite good and Quake, along with Rise Of The Triads.

I only had 2 A500's back in the days, so not much power and tinkering as with the 40 Amiga's I have now.

But playing on the PC is still my favorite, X3 Terran Conflict is something I can get lost in for hours.
Old 15 July 2012, 14:04   #39
Lord Aga
MI clan prevails

Also Command & Conquer Was mighty enraged at Westwood for leaving the Amiga.
Old 15 July 2012, 15:43   #40
mfletcher
Bawbag.

For me it was X-Wing and Tie Fighter games. I remember at the time flame wars on usenet about whether it was possible for an Amiga to do a game like X-Wing.