English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 31 July 2016, 07:46   #1
TroyWilkins

What to add to an A600

Hi everyone,

I should be getting my A600 back from getting all the capacitors replaced soon, and will then be showing the kids how good the Amigas were, and how far ahead of their time they were, when compared to the 286 with Windows 2 I also had back in the day.

Anyway, as the title hints to, what should I get to go with my A600 when I get it back?

It's a 100% stock A600, Rev 2D, KS 2.05, no hard disk.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-06-30 19.54.13.jpg
Views:	461
Size:	505.5 KB
ID:	49259

What do I plan on doing with it? Showing the kids the sort of Applications I used to use back in the day - DPaint, PPaint, OctaMED 4, and so forth, as well as some of the classic Games. I don't plan on doing video editing or anything like that, but it would be nice to get it connected to the internet (and our home network) to make it easier to get data to and from it.

I plan on getting a Vampire V2, and it will be connected to the 42" LCD in the lounge room, which has composite and HDMI inputs (obviously will be using composite to begin with, and maybe both composite and HDMI later).

I know I'll need to get some sort of a mass storage device, probably a CF card and adapter, but which one, from where? I'll need a 1Mb expansion to bring it up to 2Mb Chip, right (and yes, I know it'll still have the ECS chipset), and I'll need to get myself a joystick or joypad (again, which one, from where), what else should I get?

Thanks in advance.
Old 31 July 2016, 13:11   #2
trixster
Guru Meditating

If you're getting a vampire then I doubt you'll need a 1MB expansion too.

PCMCIA Ethernet connection for Internet access?
Old 31 July 2016, 15:23   #3
mjnurney

if you plan to run WHDLoad then a 1mb ram expansion is a good idea. The vampire2 will keep the chip ram mostly unused as it runs everything in fast ram (in RTG mode) but Whdload still used chipram and OCS/ECS video modes as do lots of native amiga software.

Emulators and demos , video players etc use RTG as do later games.
Old 02 August 2016, 13:38   #4
TroyWilkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixster View Post
If you're getting a vampire then I doubt you'll need a 1MB expansion too.

PCMCIA Ethernet connection for Internet access?
Thank you.

I believe there is quite a waiting list for Vampires, so it could be a while before I get it, and seeing as I do plan on using WHDLoad, I'll need more than 1Mb.

Ethernet would be useful, even if only to make it easier to get data to and from the machine. Does anyone know of any good reputable solutions where I'd get the hardware and software in some sort of a bundle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjnurney View Post
if you plan to run WHDLoad then a 1mb ram expansion is a good idea. The vampire2 will keep the chip ram mostly unused as it runs everything in fast ram (in RTG mode) but Whdload still used chipram and OCS/ECS video modes as do lots of native amiga software.

Emulators and demos , video players etc use RTG as do later games.
Cool, thank you. I think I read something about Shapeshifter not being compatible with the Vampire, but Fusion is, is that correct, if you know of course?

Does anyone have any suggestions regarding a joystick/joypad, and if so, where to get one from? I was thinking perhaps a Competition Pro CD32 pad if I can find one, as I used to have one of these to go with my CD32 back in the day and really liked it, but I think there are some games where a stick would be more suitable, however I never had anything much better than the Atari CX40 in that style - had a few various sticks, but none that were anything memorable.

Oh, another question, is there any reason I couldn't setup all the software under WinUAE, then transfer it to the CF card, obviously with the CF setup properly beforehand?
Old 03 August 2016, 11:11   #5
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@TroyWilkins

There was a time where the little Amiga A600 was shunned with only a dearth of options ( i.e. very little ) - initially the only real upgrade for the Amiga A600 came in the form of the Apollo 620, 630 and the E-Matrix 630 - all produced in very limited numbers between 1995 and 1997.

Obtaining one of these was an utter nightmare in terms of finding one for sale, finding one that works, and appeasing the relationship with one's significant other, generally after your wallet up and leaves home after the abusing it had taken to buy it!

And this was the state of play for upgrading the A600 for over a decade!

Fortunately today, in fact only over the last handful of years this has changed drastically, now you can buy FAST RAM adaptors and CPU accelerators that don't break the bank, threatens one's marriage or harmonious coupling

So where do we start with the A600?

KickROM
Yes its wise to update this, I would suggest Kickstart 3.1, which can be obtained from AmigaKit.com for about £10 + postage if you don't know how to make one yourself. This will allow you to use the native IDE to the fullest as earlier KS 2.05 has some bugs in it.

CHIP RAM
As you have already isolate the need for additional CHIP memory for use with WHDLoad - with 2MB of CHIP there are some things you can do - have a look at the AGL project - you can get the additional 1MB CHIP RAM adaptor from either Amigakit the IC 604n for £27 or from Kipper2k the 1MB Chip expansion for about $29 US

FAST RAM
Here you have a couple of options - you could hunt the interwebs for a 4MB PCMCIA compatible SRAM card - as it says this will give you 4MB of FAST RAM - which will take your 0.5 MIPS right up to 0.9 MIPS - this is quite noticeable on the system. Finding these is quite time consuming, finding them for a reasonable price is even more difficult. Personally I would look to one of Kippers K608's which clip onto the internal CPU and add 8MB of FAST RAM for as little as $49 US, or $39 US for the 4MB version - The 8MB version is also configurable for 1.5MB, 4MB and 5.5MB FAST RAM, so a great option for an additional $10 IMHO, this especially if you want to keep the PCMCIA port in use for something else, i.e. network card or removable mass storage.

CPU ACCELERATION
There are a few out there now, but for the price I would humbly recommend two CPU accelerators that are on the market, the ACA620 and obviously the Vampire 2 ( with the A'080 Core ).

ACA620
First up is the ACA620 which gives you an 020@16.7 MHz of processing power taking your stock 0.54 MIPS all the way up to 3.5 MIPS combined with up to 10.5MB of FAST RAM - it has some nice features including MAP ROM, allowing you to load a KickROM from the hard disk device and configurable FAST memory to allow the use of the PCMCIA port for use with either removable mass storage or networking card. You can get these for about £80 including postage new from Amigakit.com and Vesalia.de

These cards can also be over-clocked to 25Mhz without to much fuss - this will give you about 4.5 MIPS - you will obviously need some cooling solution for the CPU (which is inversely mounted), supporting chips will also need some form of heat sink and it will invalidate your warranty.

Vampire V2
Wow, what can be said about this that hasn't already been, very little I am afraid, with over 113 MIPS of processing power, 128MB of RAM, a 64bit 68k binary compatible CPU combined with the fastest 2D RTG graphics card - kinda says it all really - sadly getting one of these seems like trying to win a lottery - is it worth the wait - hell yes it is. I have seen this card do things that neither my over clocked 80Mhz Apollo 060 or my Cyberstorm 060 @66MHz can do and all for 150 Euros - Amazing!

The real beauty here is the fact it constantly get improved with additional features added - its an evolving product that at its base is great value for money.

MASS STORAGE
There are plenty of options out there, from 2.5" Hard disks to Compact Flash cards - I would look for something in the 8GB or larger range to get the most out of your system - Personally I have been playing about with mSATA SSD technology and craming it on the end of the Amiga's native IDE - for about £10 you can get a 16GB SSD solution which is blisteringly fast on the Amiga - click here to find out more

CLOSING THOUGHTS
Personally I would suggest both an ACA620 and the Vampire - the ACA620 you can get today and enjoy right out of the box and will be a true delight, being over twice as fast as a stock A1200 - combine this with an 604n CHIP RAM upgrade will give you plenty of hours of fun - put your order in for the Vampire V2 - while you wait you can crack on with some A600 fun with your ACA set up!

I suspect that you will find, like I did, that both the ACA620 and Vampire V2 offer a unique enough experience to justify having both set ups -

I hope that ramble helps.

Last edited by Zetr0; 03 August 2016 at 15:40.
Old 03 August 2016, 14:44   #6
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetr0 View Post
KickROM
Yes its wise to update this, I would suggest Kickstart 3.1
His photo shows a soldered kick rom which I have never seen in an A600. So it'll be a bit harder for him to perform that upgrade.
If you want a Vampire V2 you need to have 3.1 and I am afraid in this setup you can't unless you desolder that chip, install a socket and get a new Kickstart ROM.
Old 03 August 2016, 14:59   #7
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
His photo shows a soldered kick rom which I have never seen in an A600. So it'll be a bit harder for him to perform that upgrade.
Wow! That is the first time I have seen that!

Quote:
If you want a Vampire V2 you need to have 3.1 and I am afraid in this setup you can't unless you desolder that chip, install a socket and get a new Kickstart ROM.
The Vampire ignores the KickROM of the machine, currently mine doesn't even have a kick rom in it at all - so the fact that the its soldered is inconsequential.

The ACA620 has the MAP ROM feature which allows for loading any 1MB Kick Start to RAM - so 3.1 or even a custom 3.9 to allow for bigger hard-disks!

8MB FAST RAM
Assuming like above that the current fitted ROM is a late enough revision to detect a hard disk then one could have a small script on boot that relokick's a 3.1, or 3x ROM into FASTRAM - reboots and you have large hard disk support.

Worse case scenario one could make a simple boot-disk that like above relokick's a 3.x ROM into FAST RAM reboots, (removes disk) and then load from hard disk device.

so both options still good

Last edited by Zetr0; 03 August 2016 at 15:04.
Old 03 August 2016, 15:15   #8
Amiga1992

Ah, I didn't know Vampire could work without a kickstart in it. That means he only needs to buy a license from the Vampire team to get going.

But yeah how weird is a soldered kickstart? Could it be this board revision? I never seen this board before.
Old 03 August 2016, 15:18   #9
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

Quote:
Ah, I didn't know Vampire could work without a kickstart in it. That means he only needs to buy a license from the Vampire team to get going.
Indeedy!

Quote:
But yeah how weird is a soldered kickstart? Could it be this board revision? I never seen this board before.
I have to admit that threw me a bit, i was like "naaa surely not..." << scroll up >> " Well would you f%^&ing believe that! "

I wonder if there are some like that in the US market since I have neve seen a PAL, sorry European, machine like that?
Old 03 August 2016, 15:23   #10
Amiga1992

Quote:
I wonder if there are some like that in the US market since I have neve seen a PAL, sorry European, machine like that?
Maybe that is the case, I also have never seen a US A600, so no idea.

Whoever made this, they clearly believed nobody would want to change KS2.05!
Old 03 August 2016, 15:29   #11
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

Another CPU option I forgot to mention is the Furia020

Furia020 Accelerator
This little beast runs at 28Mhz and supports 9MB of fast (zero wait state) menory AND an FPU, also at 28MHz, you get about 5.5 MIPS and a good couple of MFLOPS as well - great if you want to have a play with some intensive applications (image processing / ray tracing) - this card is also cleverly PCMCIA compatible should you want to run removable Mass Storage or PCMCIA networking by holding CTRL+LA+RA keys for 3 seconds - to find out more click here

I believe a newer 33MHz version is on its way (or already here) and this obviously is a faster accelerator - you should be able to find more on this site
Old 04 August 2016, 01:22   #12
TroyWilkins

Thank you VERY much Zetr0 for tacking so much time and effort in replying, I really appreciate all the information you have shared, and I can't wait to get my A600 back and try out the things you have suggested. In the mean time I can continue to play with WinUAE and try to get myself used to the Amiga way again.

Funny thing, the other night I was doing things on an emulated Amiga system, and some of it came back to me so quickly and naturally that it felt like I'd never stopped using the platform - so much so that I found myself pressing Win + M when I was back in Windows 10, instead of Alt + Tab...

Regarding the ROM, I can't say I had noticed that it was soldered instead of socketed, This is only the 2nd A600 I have ever owned, and the last one, going back to the mid to late 90s was certainly an Australian PAL A600, like this one is too (US keymap, PAL video output), but the other one had a socketed ROM, because I remember pulling it out and putting in a 1.3 ROM out of an A500 to see if it worked, and putting the 2.05 ROM in the A500...

So yes, this is very interesting, and it looks to me like a factory 2.05 ROM... Hmm, I wonder if at some stage in it's past someone suspected there to be a bad connection with the socket, so they removed the socket and simply soldered the ROM in there?

Here are a few more photos I took (sorry, not fantastic photos, I only have my phone to take the pictures with) before I sent it off for repairs:

Name:	2016-06-30 19.58.54.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	518.8 KB
ID:	49293

Name:	2016-06-30 19.54.03.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	523.7 KB
ID:	49294

Name:	2016-06-30 19.54.21.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	532.3 KB
ID:	49295

Name:	2016-06-30 19.44.39.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	490.1 KB
ID:	49296

Last edited by TroyWilkins; 04 August 2016 at 01:24. Reason: typo
Old 04 August 2016, 01:33   #13
TroyWilkins

Ahh, a quick search found this: http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=58834

It appears later A600s had Kickstart soldered instead of socketed. Well there you go...
Old 04 August 2016, 07:57   #14
TroyWilkins

Sorry about the 3 posts in a row, but I just got around to setting up an emulated A600 in WinUAE, so I can start getting the software side of things setup, and that's where I have to admit to being stuck. I'm so far behind the times it's not funny. Can anyone suggest a good package to download and install that will be suitable for a stock A600, and other packages that will be more suitable once I have added more RAM and a faster CPU? I know of http://classicwb.abime.net/ but I'm sure there are others out there? I know I could start with a basic Workbench install, but spending the hours and hours getting it working nicely doesn't really appeal to me to be honest.

From my limited experimenting just now, it would seem that WHDLoad is pretty much a no go on a stock 1Mb A600, and adding a 1Mb Chip RAM expansion didn't seem to help matters, at least in the few games I tried. So I think I'll get a 1Mb Chip expansion and most likely a CPU + Fast RAM board of some kind - and that ACA620 looks like it could be just the ticket.

From my travels on Youtube, a PS2 to Amiga adapter so I can use a "modern" optical mouse looks like a good idea, and for mass storage it looks like there are lots of options, with that SATA SSD option looking very good indeed, thank you very much for that.
Old 04 August 2016, 09:58   #15
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@TroyWilkins

For a limited 2MB set up
[ Show youtube player ]

I have a few A600's but the two are my primary set ups

System 01
COM: A600 Rev 1.3
ROM: Kickstart 3.1
CPU: ACA620 @ 16.7MHz
RAM: 10.5MB
CHP: 2MB - A604n
ADP: Indivision ECS (Scan Doubler / Flicker Fixer)
DSK: 8GB SanDisk Compact Flash
AOS: Classic Workbench 3.5 / Classic Workbench Advanced SP
The above build is quite a delight, I have tried running OS3.9 on the above but it uses a good 6MB of RAM - which on a limited system is just over kill - OS3.5 seems good at just under 3MB of FAST RAM - leaving me the better part of 2MB CHIP, and just under 8MB FAST!

If you notice I also mention the Indivision ECS, which alongside the ACA620 are the best products Individual Computers has ever made. The Indivision ECS allows for larger screen modes as well as additional colour depth, initially the A600 is limited to the ECS chip set HAM not withstanding that is 64 Colour Half-Brite out of a pallet of 4096 colours - The Indivision ECS allows for a RTG 256 colour screen - which is awesome.

You can find out a bit more about the Indivision ECS by clicking here - also there are a few YouTubes with the indivision running - its a really good product for the A600/500/1k and 2k machines!

This system is hooked up to my old skool 19" AOC CRT VGA Monitor - delightful!

Now - my other set up is obviously yet - subtly different

System 02
ROM: (3.x On Accelerator Card)
CPU: Apollo 68080 (A'080) 75MHz
RAM: 128MB
ADP: Picasso 96 Onboard RTG 2D Card (HDMI Out)
DSK: 16GB SanDisk mSATA SSD
AOS: Classic Workbench 3.5 / Classic Workbench 3.9

This system uses a modern LED display panel with both HDMI and RGB SCART inputs - Also I have a couple of PS2 / USB Mouse adaptors that make life a lot easier.

Last edited by Zetr0; 04 August 2016 at 10:03.
Old 05 August 2016, 05:49   #16
TroyWilkins

After further looking into things on Youtube, I have another question. I don't have many physical 3.5" Amiga floppies, but I do have a few games I'd like to play on real hardware as ADF files. So some sort of a floppy disk emulator with the ability to load off flash memory of some kind sounds like a good idea to me, does anyone have any experience in this regard and suggestions?

Thank you.
Quote:
@TroyWilkins

For a limited 2MB set up
[ Show youtube player ]

I have a few A600's but the two are my primary set ups

System 01
ROM: Kickstart 3.1
CPU: ACA620 @ 16.7MHz
RAM: 10.5MB
ADP: Indivision ECS (Scan Doubler / Flicker Fixer)
DSK: 8GB SanDisk Compact Flash
AOS: Classic Workbench 3.5 / Classic Workbench Advanced SP
The above build is quite a delight, I have tried running OS3.9 on the above but it uses a good 6MB of RAM - which on a limited system is just over kill - OS3.5 seems good at just under 3MB of FAST RAM - leaving me the better part of 2MB CHIP, and just under 8MB FAST!

If you notice I also mention the Indivision ECS, which alongside the ACA620 are the best products Individual Computers has ever made. The Indivision ECS allows for larger screen modes as well as additional colour depth, initially the A600 is limited to the ECS chip set HAM not withstanding that is 64 Colour Half-Brite out of a pallet of 4096 colours - The Indivision ECS allows for a RTG 256 colour screen - which is awesome.

You can find out a bit more about the Indivision ECS by clicking here - also there are a few YouTubes with the indivision running - its a really good product for the A600/500/1k and 2k machines!

This system is hooked up to my old skool 19" AOC CRT VGA Monitor - delightful!

Now - my other set up is obviously yet - subtly different

System 02
ROM: (3.x On Accelerator Card)
CPU: Apollo 68080 (A'080) 75MHz
RAM: 128MB
ADP: Picasso 96 Onboard RTG 2D Card (HDMI Out)
DSK: 16GB SanDisk mSATA SSD
AOS: Classic Workbench 3.5 / Classic Workbench 3.9
<snip>
This system uses a modern LED display panel with both HDMI and RGB SCART inputs - Also I have a couple of PS2 / USB Mouse adaptors that make life a lot easier.
Oh wow, very nice! Thank you for sharing, certainly given me some ideas as to what to invest in for my A600, very much appreciated!
Old 05 August 2016, 10:58   #17
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyWilkins View Post
After further looking into things on Youtube, I have another question. I don't have many physical 3.5" Amiga floppies, but I do have a few games I'd like to play on real hardware as ADF files. So some sort of a floppy disk emulator with the ability to load off flash memory of some kind sounds like a good idea to me, does anyone have any experience in this regard and suggestions?

Thank you.
Running ADF images can in fact be easily done - the first thing that comes to mind are two projects the HxC and the GoTek
The GoTek is cheaper, even if you buy it pre-programmed, where as the HxC has been about for slightly longer.

both of these projects use an SD card to store ADF images, well in the case of the HxC they need to be convereted before putting onto the SDCard

Both will set you back about $60 AUS pending what you are looking for. If I could be so bold, I personally think that you would be better served with a Hard Disk Device and 2MB of CHIP RAM - and here are my thoughts on this.

When you have 2MB CHIP and a sizeable hard drive (lets say 4GB) you can install this with Classic Workbench 68k and AGLaunch - this comes pre-installed under CW-x-28

While I stumbled into creating AGLaunch, which was especially designed for a 2MB A600/1200 the community has really made it it's own and it wouldn't be as anywhere near as good without them, I couldn't be prouder - its very humbling indeed!

Now, From here you need to have a quick Google Search for "WHDLoad game packs" - you can search for that title or "KillerGorilla WHDLoad"

Have a good download session with your favourite beverage, copy them to the hard disk device and you will have access of over 3,000 game titles to play, review and geek out at =)

Now just explain the video embedded a bit - this is of AG-Launch running on a 2MB A600 - allowing for multiple disk games (Alien Bread TA is 4 disks as is Project X etc.)

With only 2MB CHIP RAM, loading speed on multi-disk games is only slightly faster than loading from Floppy Disk - but doesn't provide the inconvenience of having to find working floppy disks to write ADF files too or having to convert ADF to HxC files or having to fuss about with boot selectors on either the HxC or the GoTek.

Don't get me wrong they are fun to play with, but hard-drive all the way for that instant gratification

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyWilkins View Post
Oh wow, very nice! Thank you for sharing, certainly given me some ideas as to what to invest in for my A600, very much appreciated!
It is my pleasure, one of, perhaps the most important thing about the Amiga is how YOU make it YOUR's and don't let anyone tell you different lol!

If you prefer the "clunk clunk whirr whirr" sounds of the Floppy Drive as it interrogates a floppy disk like a coked up angry bee - then my friend, have at it - it is what puts a smile on your face and warmth in your heart - for me its all about sharing this Amiga experience(s) I have had and still having after 28 years! =D

(When I got my Interface 1 and Microdrives working on my Spectrum 128k *Toast Rack* - I spent a good hour with a grin from ear to ear just formatting micro-cassettes!) - unleash the inner geek is what I say!

So this little 600 build, while I and others have dumped a ton of info here - remember to make this one yours!

I look forward to seeing pictures =D

Last edited by Zetr0; 05 August 2016 at 11:16.
Old 05 August 2016, 12:45   #18
TroyWilkins

I've been annoying my ever patient partner talking far too much about the Amiga, what I like about it, what happened, what went wrong, and how it was far better (in my humble opinion) than the Macintosh and PC of the time. I honestly sometimes wonder how she puts up with me, haha
Quote:
Running ADF images can in fact be easily done - the first thing that comes to mind are two projects the HxC and the GoTek
The GoTek is cheaper, even if you buy it pre-programmed, where as the HxC has been about for slightly longer.

both of these projects use an SD card to store ADF images, well in the case of the HxC they need to be convereted before putting onto the SDCard

Both will set you back about $60 AUS pending what you are looking for. If I could be so bold, I personally think that you would be better served with a Hard Disk Device and 2MB of CHIP RAM - and here are my thoughts on this.

When you have 2MB CHIP and a sizeable hard drive (lets say 4GB) you can install this with Classic Workbench 68k and AGLaunch - this comes pre-installed under CW-x-28

While I stumbled into creating AGLaunch, which was especially designed for a 2MB A600/1200 the community has really made it it's own and it wouldn't be as anywhere near as good without them, I couldn't be prouder - its very humbling indeed!

Now, From here you need to have a quick Google Search for "WHDLoad game packs" - you can search for that title or "KillerGorilla WHDLoad"

Have a good download session with your favourite beverage, copy them to the hard disk device and you will have access of over 3,000 game titles to play, review and geek out at =)
Way ahead of you there my good friend, to be honest that was what was the final straw, what made me decide to get myself an A600 and get back into the Amiga again after selling the last Amiga I had - an A4000/040 - back in I think it was 2008. I have kind of kept an eye on the Amiga scene, but not followed it closely, but was aware of the Vampire 2 and was tempted, but thought that WinUAE would be close enough to scratch that itch, but then stumbled across this video (as I've subscribed to his channel and enjoy his videos):
[ Show youtube player ]

So I got all the WHDLoad game packs, and extracted them to a directory on my hard drive, and set it up to all work in WinUAE. And this was well and good, but it made me want to show the kids just how innovative and how good the Amiga was, and lets face it, as good as WinUAE is, it's not perfect and it's not the real thing, and it doesn't have the "wow" factor of the whole computer being in the keyboard like a 500/500+/600 or 1200 does. When the kids can see that it's a real computer, and not just another program running under Windows 10...

Name:	13898158_10209965690002651_598241333_o.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	414.5 KB
ID:	49305

Name:	13950863_10209965693482738_148137931_o.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	309.5 KB
ID:	49306

So I decided to try to get an Amiga, and a very short time later the kids were all wanting to check it out, being amazed at how the keyboard was the entire computer, and having seen videos of the Amiga in action and hearing me talk about how great it was... So it got sent off to get repaired so it works again, so I can show them what sort of computer I had when I was not much older then they are now (I had an A1200 with a 40Mb HDD as my first Amiga, but hey, an A600 is still much closer than a C64), and that brings us pretty much up to where I am now.

Quote:
Now just explain the video embedded a bit - this is of AG-Launch running on a 2MB A600 - allowing for multiple disk games (Alien Bread TA is 4 disks as is Project X etc.)

With only 2MB CHIP RAM, loading speed on multi-disk games is only slightly faster than loading from Floppy Disk - but doesn't provide the inconvenience of having to find working floppy disks to write ADF files too or having to convert ADF to HxC files or having to fuss about with boot selectors on either the HxC or the GoTek.

Don't get me wrong they are fun to play with, but hard-drive all the way for that instant gratification
Oh absolutely, I understand exactly what you mean, and that has a huge appeal to me. But I believe there are still a number of games that have not been made to work yet with WHDLoad, and as I have a bit of a collection of those games on my hard drive as ADFs, a floppy emulator would save me the hassle of trying to find a way of writing them to a real physical disk.

And I love the idea behind AG-Launch, and plan on playing around with it either tonight or tomorrow now that I've got a hard disk image setup in WinUAE that I'm getting happy with. Your idea was a great one, and I see what you meant about the community, which was really fantastic to see.
Quote:
It is my pleasure, one of, perhaps the most important thing about the Amiga is how YOU make it YOUR's and don't let anyone tell you different lol!

If you prefer the "clunk clunk whirr whirr" sounds of the Floppy Drive as it interrogates a floppy disk like a coked up angry bee - then my friend, have at it - it is what puts a smile on your face and warmth in your heart - for me its all about sharing this Amiga experience(s) I have had and still having after 28 years! =D

(When I got my Interface 1 and Microdrives working on my Spectrum 128k *Toast Rack* - I spent a good hour with a grin from ear to ear just formatting micro-cassettes!) - unleash the inner geek is what I say!

So this little 600 build, while I and others have dumped a ton of info here - remember to make this one yours!

I look forward to seeing pictures =D
Oh believe me, I look forward to making it my own unique setup.

I'm also a car guy, and for me, a big part of that hobby is making it mine, unique, to my own particular taste and different from how every other vehicle on the same production line rolled out. My vehicle of choice (if anyone is interested) is a 1992 Toyota Corolla SECA (Liftback) SX, with 4AGE engine, which I've done a few things to over the yars and continue to make it "mine". Sure, there are some things that almost everyone does, but then there are other choices that are down to individual taste - many people lower their vehicle and change the wheels, but what size wheels they go for, what style they are, that varies to a huge degree.

Last edited by TroyWilkins; 05 August 2016 at 12:58. Reason: Selling, not seeing, bad typo, bad!
Old 05 August 2016, 16:43   #19
supaduper

Just looked at your motherboard photos and I will advise you to have it recapped as soon you can because it visible where the capacitors have leaked.
Old 06 August 2016, 08:35   #20
TroyWilkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by supaduper View Post
Just looked at your motherboard photos and I will advise you to have it recapped as soon you can because it visible where the capacitors have leaked.
Way ahead of you my friend, that's why I don't have it now, it's off being repaired, I sent it off only a few days after I got it and took those pictures, after locating someone who could do the job for me.