Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 20 April 2024, 19:37   #1
kremiso

Old emulators you still play on?

quite a bunch here

like Steem to play the Atari ST games
i mean the old version, not the SSE (Steven Seagal) one

tried some new ones, but just returned to that after a while

i also like to play with some older ScummVM releases, if they grant the compatibility with the choosed game

some old Dreamcast emulators, like NullDC or even Chankast (having Redream and Flycast)

rarely now but happened also UAE4ALL, every now and then

ofc i know about the outdate thing, i just want to know if you also like to play on some old emulators, even if just for nostalgic reasons
Old 20 April 2024, 20:16   #2
phx
Natteravn

I use E-UAE on MorphOS and NetBSD, which didn't receive updates since many years. But it's sufficient for some testing/debugging.
Old 20 April 2024, 20:47   #3
PortuguesePilot
Global Moderator

Still use Callus, NESticle, Genecyst, ZX32, ZSNES, KiGB, WinUAE v8.8r8, MAME Plus and Magic Engine (and few others I can recall right now) on some of my old PCs (486 to Pentium III), in their MS-DOS versions or Win95/XP according to the installed OS.
Old 20 April 2024, 22:14   #4
Geordie-Jedi

I use the following emulators -

FS-UAE - Amiga emulator for [Linux]

fbzx = Spectrum emulator for [Linux]

RetroPi = Multi platform emulators for [Raspberry Pi] =
NES, SNES, Megagrive, Playstation 1, and a whole load of other systems.

PCSX = Playstation 1 for [Linux]

SNES9X = SNES emulator for [Linux]

MAME = Multi platform emulators for [Linux]

Recently I've been going through a binge of Playstation 1 games.
Particularly Wip3out, Colony Wars 1 & 2, and have been playing (and really enjoying)
making my own custom levels for Tenchu 2.
Old 21 April 2024, 04:39   #5
stx2199

I tend to look always at new emulators which are better than old emuls which at some time were good

ie: now I using Blitzhawk 2.5 emulator which is far better and accurate which replaces lot of emulators I used in the past as

znes /snes9x (super nintendo)
fusion /gens (genesis)
visualboy advance (gba and gameboy)
magic engine (pc engine)

also I replaced EPSXE by Duckstation

I still use Zxspin 0.7 for Spectrum which is still the best emulator
I still use winvice 2.4 for C64 emulation, a special one with programmable gamepad button (code by dink @ lemon64)

also I still use an old Mameplus 0.106u2 version because is fantastic and I don't need nothing new

of course I exclusively use Winuae since 2001 and I don't use any other Amiga emulator...and so on

but the point is I'm always looking at new gems
Old 21 April 2024, 11:24   #6
kremiso

oh yes Magic Engine, another one i am still using also here

for the SNES im using Snes9x, well they are still updating it and i just like everything, specially the full screen + ESC key to make appear the options banner, perfect for my tastes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geordie-Jedi View Post
...Recently I've been going through a binge of Playstation 1 games.
Particularly Wip3out, Colony Wars 1 & 2, and have been playing (and really enjoying)
Colony Wars is a great choice, i ilke a lot that saga too
Old 22 April 2024, 14:05   #7
Anubis
Retro Gamer

This topic looks like more of a non-standard emulator than old version of those emulators. Apart from using Mame, FB Neo and RetroArch cores, I still would start NeoGeo Rage X emulator from time to time. I just find it incredible that it worked @ full speed on 450Mhz computer.

I like to try new emulators, but sometimes I would just start another odd emulator just because of nostalgia... First time I emulated Amiga was using WinFellow and I would boot it from time to time just for nostalgia.

Just for example, for Sega Master system I would use Meka, FreezeSMS and SMSPlus.

Few multi-emulators I would turn on from time to time (for odd systems): Higan, Bizzhawk and Ares, but from time to time I would start Raine and older version of MESS.

Interesting question would be - do you ever use non-major emulators, for example fMSX for MSX or Speccy or Fuse for ZX SPectrum?
Old 22 April 2024, 15:18   #8
clebin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
Interesting question would be - do you ever use non-major emulators, for example ... Fuse for ZX SPectrum?
Non-major? How dare you.

The Mac version of Fuse (incl. FuseX) is one of my favourite emulators because it gets so much right that too many emulators don't:

1. Crisp graphics. Some emulators are blurry even when you turn off all the effects. That's a big deal-breaker for me. They go straight in the bin.

2. Display effects are off by default. I'm not a fan of scanlines, and some emulators, like Retro Virtual Machine, go crazy on the effects. It looks more like something from a cyberpunk film than a real CRT. It's not a big job to switch all the effects off, but I don't know why they were all on in the first place.

3. Can associate the app with a file-type and load games with a double-click on the file. Should be a given, but isn't.

4. Native UI - native menus, native prefs. Recent cross-platform toolkits are better, but lots of emulators are built with old toolkits that don't feel quite right.

5. Window handling. You can resize the window easily and it remembers when you restart. This is often a problem with ancient, non-native UIs where the main window either won't resize or the resizing is totally random and broken (eg. CSpect). Then next time you open it, it's the size of a postage stamp again.

6. No mouse capture. Some emulators don't just capture the mouse, but practically demand a ransom before they will release it again.
Old 22 April 2024, 15:45   #9
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

The only "old emulators" I use are ones where developers have left the platform

e.g. OG Xbox, Wii, WiiU

But these days, for me, emulation using a jailbroken console has been replaced with MiSTer
Old 22 April 2024, 16:04   #10
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
I use any emulator that works with windows for the system I want to emulate.

Mainly WinUAE, Fuse, Handy.

System of choice, Rog Ally.
Old 22 April 2024, 17:09   #11
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Define "old", most emulators have existed for ages. WinUAE, Dosbox, BlueMSX, Snes9x, Mame of course.
Old 22 April 2024, 19:35   #12
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

@clebin:

You'd probably like AmiArcadia/WinArcadia, they score 6 out of 6 on your list :-)
Old 22 April 2024, 21:31   #13
Hercules
Vodka monster.

Batocera... Live Linux distro with tons of emulation cores. Just installed it on an old Netbook for portable gaming with a bluetooth 8BitDo M30 joypad controller.
Old 23 April 2024, 00:27   #14
Anubis
Retro Gamer

How is that reply to OT?

BTW, try Recalbox, you might like it more. (at least I do )
Old 23 April 2024, 08:37   #15
clebin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minuous View Post
@clebin:

You'd probably like AmiArcadia/WinArcadia, they score 6 out of 6 on your list :-)
I just gave AmiArcadia a spin and it looks very nice. I'll have to investigate the machines it emulates as I haven't heard of a single one! The last version was only a few days ago, so hopefully the author will keep adding to it.

Thanks for the recommendation!
Old 23 April 2024, 09:04   #16
kremiso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
...but from time to time I would start Raine and older version of MESS.

Interesting question would be - do you ever use non-major emulators, for example fMSX for MSX or Speccy or Fuse for ZX SPectrum?
Raine bring back memories, i didn't know it is still updated

i like to browse deep into the emlation-wiki page, and scroll down to search some obscure ones

https://emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/Main_Page

ofc, some old stuff is missing, btw great overall database

Quote:
Originally Posted by clebin View Post
5. Window handling. You can resize the window easily and it remembers when you restart. This is often a problem with ancient, non-native UIs where the main window either won't resize or the resizing is totally random and broken (eg. CSpect). Then next time you open it, it's the size of a postage stamp again.

6. No mouse capture. Some emulators don't just capture the mouse, but practically demand a ransom before they will release it again.
this two points, encountered a lot of times as issue

ie Desmume goes in point 5 and Steem in point 6, at least on my PC

Last edited by kremiso; 23 April 2024 at 09:10.
Old 23 April 2024, 10:28   #17
Dunny

Quote:
Non-major? How dare you.

The Mac version of Fuse (incl. FuseX) is one of my favourite emulators because it gets so much right that too many emulators don't:

1. Crisp graphics. Some emulators are blurry even when you turn off all the effects. That's a big deal-breaker for me. They go straight in the bin.

2. Display effects are off by default. I'm not a fan of scanlines, and some emulators, like Retro Virtual Machine, go crazy on the effects. It looks more like something from a cyberpunk film than a real CRT. It's not a big job to switch all the effects off, but I don't know why they were all on in the first place.
Old 23 April 2024, 11:32   #18
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

Quote:
The last version was only a few days ago, so hopefully the author will keep adding to it.

Thanks for the recommendation!
You're welcome. In the interest of not misleading anyone, I should point out that I am the author. And yes, there are plenty of further developments in store for it.
Old 23 April 2024, 19:12   #19
drHirudo
Amiga user

As I person who uses emulators daily, I run some old emulators, especially on Amiga (Mostly AmigaOS 4, less on AmigaOS 3 with the Vampire V4+ SA). On the Amiga, I use them, simply because usually there aren't any newer emulators and versions ported, so I need to rely on older ones. I used to port Hatari most recent version in the past and many other emulators, but abandoned coding in favour of other endeavours.

Still running emulators under DosBOX on AmigaOS4. The JIT PPC version of DOSBox on Amiga X5000 makes these old MS-DOS emulators usable, even if their compatibility and features are ancient by today's standards.

Additionally, I run emulators on old PPC Macintosh machines and found out that with SoftWindows on Power Macintosh 7600/120 with G3/266 I can run some old Windows games quite decent.

I also have Ultimate MiSTer FPGA, but didn't have the time to start it again for more than a year now. But I am impressed with it's quality of emulating old hardware and it's developments all the time, especially old arcade games. I even bought MIDI adapter for MiSTer, but still don't know if I will find a way to use it (under the Amiga or Atari cores of MiSTer).
Old 24 April 2024, 09:50   #20
clebin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minuous View Post
You're welcome. In the interest of not misleading anyone, I should point out that I am the author. And yes, there are plenty of further developments in store for it.
Haha, I didn't realise! It's lucky I liked it.

I'll look forward to seeing what you've got up your sleeve for future versions.