English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 25 April 2013, 00:26   #1
Edwooger

Running 3D games?

Hi, it's me again

I've been trying to run some 3D games on the emulator and I just can't get them to run smoothly no matter what.

I tried overclocking the CPU frequency, which helps smooth out previous games and it works to a degree but with games like Breathless and Alien Breed 3D I get a mega sound glitch.

I've been trying to run them under A1200 specs, which isn't far enough to make them run smoothly.

Kickstart 3.1
RAM 2MB
Fast RAM 8 MB
Slow RAM 512KB
CPU Frequency 28 (double A1200 [this is why I have the sound glitch])

Should I play around with Expansions and/or Adv. Chipset settings?

Thanks for reading, and looking forward to hearing some words of wisdom
Old 25 April 2013, 01:03   #2
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Get rid of 'slow mem', instead of that 28 Mhz 'hack' use 'fastest possible but maintain chipset timing'... report back
Old 03 May 2013, 18:30   #3
direktorn

What hardware are you running UAE under?

I also agree that slowmen is not really useful at all.
Old 05 May 2013, 19:30   #4
Edwooger

Thanks for the tip Druid It has helped but still running it x2 CPU but the more I boot the CPU the more likely sound crackles, like when certain menus are up or curtain actions are made. There is no tick box for 'maintain chip timing' and the CPU Emulation Speed menu is shaded out... But thank you for your help so far, I learned something new today

My Computer is using a Core 2 Duo Intel CPU, Windows 7, just over 3GB of RAM and not sure about the graphics card but it's enough to run Sims 3 just about. It's an old machine mean't for XP but don't think it should give UAE much trouble. Only problems so far is some times have crackling in the sound and needs sound buffing, sometimes putting Host, Display, Resolution on Lores helps a lot but 3D games, Breathless and Alien Breed 3D in this case, are just mind boggling. Still looking on how to run them smoothly because I see them run okay on youtube and I'm pretty sure they should run on an Amiga 1200. Maybe I should look up the Amiga 4000(T?) cos I hear it uses the same AGA chip.

Would RTG Graphics Card help? I need to install something for that and get a harddrive up and running but I can learn to do that, I'm sure.

Thank you for your responses. I'm still looking into it when I can but if anyone can help me here, that be fantastic
Old 05 May 2013, 19:44   #5
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Something bad in your config most likely.
Old 06 May 2013, 06:27   #6
fishyfish
Banned

There's a million and one things that can go "wrong", but general rule of thumb if youre after a fast emulated amiga:

Dont use the 28mhz option. Use "fastest possible, but maintain chipset timing" option. Make sure no mmu is emulated, and also make sure you're not using cycle exact.
Old 06 May 2013, 08:22   #7
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Attach your config file and winuaelog.txt. (Log checkbox in paths or misc panel). The usual
Old 06 May 2013, 09:55   #8
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Here's how to set fastest possible (but by all means let Toni have a look at your config and logs):

Uncheck 'Cycle-exact' on the chipset panel

Now you can set 'Fastest possible' for the CPU

Old 06 May 2013, 20:24   #9
Edwooger

Actually, that helped a lot. Thank you Druid.
I never thought to reverse those options as I thought it would bugger things up.
Alien Breed 3D runs smoothly and Breathless I think is as good as I can be.
never could play 3D games smoothly on the Amiga when I was little, so it will be nice to be able to complete them running smoothly I also ticked 'Immediate Blitter' and it runs almost perfectly. Will still tinker around.

games like Hunter for A500 were a little harder to get working but after playing with the settings you showed me, turning up the CPU speed after ticking the Cycle-exact option off under Hardware, Chipset it's pretty smooth now :yay:

Many thanks to everyone here. Hope this thread helps others with the same issues in the future.
Old 06 May 2013, 20:34   #10
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Glad to hear it worked