English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 19 October 2018, 09:42   #61
jlin_au

Also, be careful around the A1200 equivalents of A600 components Z221 and Z222 in the video section as they are easily damaged by heat and have no modern replacements.

See https://www.ikod.se/z221-z222-fix/ and http://www.waveguide.se/?article=ami...ncoder-upgrade for more details.
Old 19 October 2018, 09:56   #62
Hewitson

Wow... there's an awful lot of arrogance in this thread.
Old 19 October 2018, 13:29   #63
project23
Used Register

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
Wow... there's an awful lot of arrogance in this thread.
If i'm included in the list of those who come across this way then I do apologise. (I'm not saying i am, just in case). My intent was always to provide advice from one amateur to another. I am not the kind of person who will fight his way into a corner despite the facts being against him. I sure won't try to outsmart someone (professional or otherwise) when they clearly know better.

Had nexus been civil and not come down on us like a tonne of bricks for suggesting something he disagrees with, this thread would have gone very differently. The following discussion, in my view, had all the facts and rationale on one side, and all the bitterness and ignorance on the other. You - not you specifically Hewitson, I mean the reader - may disagree. But you sure as hell won't find me calling somebodies advice retarded, no matter how bad that advice actually is.

This morning over coffee I went and looked through some old posts of nexus to see if I was wrong about him, and whether his attitude in this thread was perhaps because his argument was factually based in some way (though poorly expressed). It turns out that nexus likes to behave in this manner a lot. It often comes off the same way, as if there is a language barrier? But he's from the USA so it can't be that simple. I won't cite examples, because I'd like us to move on and for the OP to receive the advice he asked for. Suffice to say there was one particular disgustingly arrogant remark I found that made me immediately write him off as a person of decent character.

He may reply to this, he may not, but I wanted to set the record straight about my intentions (to provide help, however misguided - we're all at separate 'levels' of experience, right? Not my term by the way), and to remind the reader that this for most of us is an amateur hobby - words I type in green because it should be civil and helpful to all involved, not bitter flame war after bitter flame war. If you see somebody suggesting an incorrect technique, or one you don't agree with, then jumping down their throat as if they were a practising professional (unless they are a professional, and you're a customer I guess?) is just downright unnecessary, unhelpful, and damages the community.

If a MOD does want to split out the crap from this thread, maybe move everything after and including my air gun advice to another thread. I'm happy to sacrifice that post in a bid to return to a civil topic. The OP has already seen these parts of the thread anyway and i'm sure he's intelligent enough to seek out whatever advice he needs on either tweezers or AIR.

That is all, kind regards

John

Last edited by project23; 19 October 2018 at 14:19. Reason: Edited for clarity
Old 19 October 2018, 15:19   #64
DH
Global Moderator

Has anyone noticed that highwinder has since stopped replying in this thread from page 1?

I'm not really surprised tbh :s

Soldering iron, tweezers or hot air, who cares so long as it's done properly and it works. So long as the instructions are adhered to regarding the method that members HAVE already tried themselves, I don't quite see why it has been stretched out onto page 4.

highwinder has probably walked away from this thread more confused at what and how to maintain his A1200 than he was before he created it.

Advice is advice because it is known by the member, but steaming in saying you can't do it that way without some kind of proof doesn't exactly help and then all parties arguing about it simply discredits everything that's being discussed.

I would love to rip out all the crap from this thread, however, there are some posts with interesting points and information, which means I'd have to start editing posts just to keep the flow of the thread decent, and I'm not about to spend so much time doing that.

If you all want to help highwinder, then help him with posts that are related to his needs and keep the arguments to PM. Disagree by all means, but argue elswhere.