English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 01 June 2019, 13:07   #1
Angus
Amiga Games Database

Amiga Ruff'n'Tumble - missing sound effects?

I just came back to this classic, and I love it but for one thing. There seem to be a bunch of missing sound effects. The defaut weapon, for example, although you hear it when it impacts against something, also I have no sound effect when the player gets killed, or hurt. Not sure if this is a feature of the original (difficult to believe) or something to do with compatibility. I gather it refused to work with anything above 020 - I'm using the excellent WHDLoad with WinUAE (also excellent). Can anyone confirm/deny/offer compliments/hurl abuse? ;-) Thanks.
Old 01 June 2019, 14:01   #2
lordofchaos
TinkerTailorContentMaker

The sound fx are quite sparse because of the single channel and memory constraints.. I don't remember all the weapons having sfx, the laser does, as does the rocket launcher, but nothing for the machine gun... When the player dies there is no sound for it, at least there wasn't when playing the original on the A500.
Old 01 June 2019, 15:00   #3
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
lordofchaos is correct
Old 01 June 2019, 15:21   #4
d4rk3lf

Funny, I never noticed this.
Old 01 June 2019, 23:45   #5
Angus
Amiga Games Database

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rk3lf View Post
Funny, I never noticed this.
Probably because the default option is to have the punchy background music on. :-) Bit of a shame though that such an excellent game should be lacking in this way. :-/
Old 02 June 2019, 13:58   #6
d4rk3lf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus View Post
Bit of a shame though that such an excellent game should be lacking in this way. :-/
Doesn't really bothers me.
The fact I never noticed, shows that they did excellent job in hiding that flaw in the game.
It's probably, because there's great soundfx metal effect when bullets hits the metal robots.
Old 05 June 2019, 00:29   #7
Angus
Amiga Games Database

I spoke to Jason Page about it on Twitter. He doesn't know, but would have completed all the effects he was asked for. Whether they then got used, or if they even asked for the missing ones, he can't say. My guess is they ran out of 1MB chip ram, and didn't have time or want to go to the trouble to utilise larger memory Amigas.

I accept what you say darkelf, but it sticks out like a sore thumb to me. What's the point of a gun that doesn't go "BANG!"? :-) And it's the first gun you fire in the game - not very professional for Renegade who I think of as one of the best Amiga publishers.
Old 05 June 2019, 01:21   #8
d4rk3lf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus View Post
I accept what you say darkelf, but it sticks out like a sore thumb to me. What's the point of a gun that doesn't go "BANG!"? :-)
Sometimes "less is more".
Maybe the soundfx from the gun would distract from every other sound, and maybe that's why they choose to disband it, rather then lack of memory.
You see.. after you shoot those robots, you have a perfect "metal to metal" sound. If some other sound would be on top of that, I doubt we would have the same feel.
After all - nobody noticed. I've read many reviews of Ruff, both in my country, both worldwide, and never saw anyone notice.
Ok, somebody noticed in 2019... would that ruin game for me?
It's pathetic to even answer.

If I was in charge of Renegade at that time, I would accept Ruff with all my heart, with all my soul, with all my will...
Old 05 June 2019, 14:59   #9
Angus
Amiga Games Database

That's lovely dear, and if it doesn't cause you a problem, I completely respect that. I have no wish for this to "ruin the game" for you. Your argument about it causing a distraction is pretty lame though, and deeply flawed, because other weapons do have sound effects, so that makes no sense. Besides which, you imply that magazine reviews don't miss details.
Come on........ :-)