English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 26 November 2010, 08:22   #141
laffer
Zone Friend

Haha yeah I remember reading a few articles like that... even some in Norwegian.

But the fact that the game was so 'forbidden' in my circles obviously just make it *that* much cooler

I remember telling my friends at this birthday party I went to just after getting the game all about it... how awesomely violent it was, I still remember how awesome they all thought it sounded when I started talking about the chainsaw and guts falling out of enemies after killing them etc

I really miss being a kid again sometimes
Old 26 November 2010, 08:23   #142
s2325
Zone Friend

As you fight your way through each level, you notice many of your Marine friends disemboweled and crucified

crucified?

Extra points are given for a shot in the head.

... You can not aim to the head in Doom.
Old 26 November 2010, 08:56   #143
Mequa

From the tone of that article, I was surprised they didn't suggest that playing the Doom soundtrack backwards contains instructions to "kill your parents".
Old 26 November 2010, 09:11   #144
Anakirob
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2325 View Post
Extra points are given for a shot in the head.

... You can not aim to the head in Doom.
Nor is there any score tally.
Old 26 November 2010, 09:13   #145
deicidal
Registered Insane

I think each country seems to haveits niche in what it considers to be corrupting material over here in the UK they seem to take a real dislike to martial arts weapons, like in shadow warrior throwing stars where replaced with darts, as that was so much less corrupting. Of course shooting someone with a gun was just fine! I remember reading that a scene from tmnt 3 had been cut where he swung a string of saugeges arround and the bbfc cut it as it looked to much like nunchucks!
Old 28 November 2010, 20:51   #146
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by laffer View Post
I damn near had a heart attack while playing that game, good times
He I was in completely the opposite situation; everyone in my house wanted to play it :/
Old 29 November 2010, 11:44   #147
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
About Stalag posted 1-2 pages before:

Well, if there wasn't the term from Nazi era used as game title, Stalag, that C64 game could easily have been considered a game about former GDR and the firing order issued by the East German government at the Iron Curtain!
(Since these watchtowers looked quite similar to those at the I. C.! I can say that because I have relatives living near the former border, so they did scare the hell out of me as a child when we first walked few miles in front of the restricted zone and they told me: "you know, not far from here, there's mines scattered all over the ground". Whew...)
Old 29 November 2010, 11:51   #148
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

If you look at the cover, it's also pretty obvious what 'era' the game is based on :

Old 29 November 2010, 12:15   #149
s2325
Zone Friend

I can see british pilot and angry Adolf, not prisoners...
Old 29 November 2010, 12:15   #150
skateblind
Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by deicidal View Post
I think each country seems to haveits niche in what it considers to be corrupting material over here in the UK they seem to take a real dislike to martial arts weapons, like in shadow warrior throwing stars where replaced with darts, as that was so much less corrupting. Of course shooting someone with a gun was just fine! I remember reading that a scene from tmnt 3 had been cut where he swung a string of saugeges arround and the bbfc cut it as it looked to much like nunchucks!
As you might already know, they changed TMninjaT to TMheroT in the UK.
Old 29 November 2010, 12:17   #151
humble worm

Quote:
I can see british pilot and angry Adolf, not prisoners...
well, I can see... Mario? pretty big mustache for a British WWII pilot
Old 29 November 2010, 13:02   #152
deicidal
Registered Insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by skateblind View Post
As you might already know, they changed TMninjaT to TMheroT in the UK.
Yes I did know another example that the word ninja was so evil, the very word would said children off on samurai slashing frenzy.

Battle of the planets the cartoon was also butchered to hell to the extent that they had to have the little 'not nicked from r2d2' robot fill in also the missing plot that had been edited out.
Old 01 December 2010, 23:21   #153
Dreedo

Possibly not the most offensive game, but Mortal Kombat played a large role in these things so it stuck out.

Basically the Megarive version had blood featured, whereas the SNES version cut the blood out, due to Nintendo having moral standards in their games. Afterwards a court began to analyze these video games, and realized that they were available to anyone. So the ESRB was born, to create age ratings for games (as there previously was none, meaning a 3 year old could buy mortal combat) Nintendo discarded their censorship as it served little purpose with the ESRB now in place.

Sure most of you already know that, but happened a little before my time so i only found it out yesterday,
Old 11 December 2010, 19:13   #154
s2325
Zone Friend

mod for Wolfenstein 3D [ Show youtube player ]
Old 12 December 2010, 00:07   #155
Paul_s

MSN recently did an article on this very topic...

http://tech.ca.msn.com/article.aspx?...entid=25778497
Old 12 December 2010, 02:55   #156
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Great Giana Sisters.
Old 21 February 2011, 23:28   #157
s2325
Zone Friend

Child Murderer:

Old 22 February 2011, 01:13   #158
Lurch666

Quote:
Originally Posted by pubzombie View Post
There was a game in the 80's called Death Ship or ghost Ship [something like that anyway] that was a text adventure that to complete you had to rape one of the characters. i remember the poostorm it created.
Ship of doom by artic computing.text adventure.You didn't have to rape anyone to complete the game but you could type 'fuck android' to have sex with a robot.At one point you had to kill a girl but that was about as bad as it got.

Remember the fuss over night trap?People going on about the sex and violence in the game when they hadn't actually played it.
Old 22 February 2011, 22:25   #159
pubzombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurch666 View Post
Ship of doom by artic computing.text adventure.You didn't have to rape anyone to complete the game but you could type 'fuck android' to have sex with a robot.At one point you had to kill a girl but that was about as bad as it got.

Remember the fuss over night trap?People going on about the sex and violence in the game when they hadn't actually played it.
ahhhhh I sort of remember. But was that the game with the skull as part of the ship on the cover. I do remember the 'rape' option got it on the local news in the midlands and there were letters to local newspapers asking for it to be taken out of the shops. i remember seeing a copy of it in Boots chemist back in the day
pz
Old 23 February 2011, 08:20   #160
humble worm

I remember HUGE storm of shit in Polish media when a German strategy game "Codename: Panzers" appeared in shops. In the beginning it was said that you command SS troops, may murder civilians, Poles are depicted as cowards and drunkards, and that the plot is based on the lie that Poland started the war.

It turned out you command only Wehrmacht troops, there are no civilians, there is only one drunk Pole in the game (what I personally find quite uncool, not like Poles were abstinents but still...).

In fact in the game there is Hitler's false order referring to so called Gleiwitz incident. Kaczynski (who was president of Warsaw that time) was calling for boycott. Polish ministry of foreign affairs sent a letter to German publisher (LOL) but there was no reply.

Finally Polish distributor was forced to remove the order from the game and add an explanation on who started WWII.

Last edited by humble worm; 23 February 2011 at 11:58.