English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.SPS (was CAPS)

Old 06 July 2009, 13:20   #161
mr.vince
Cheesy crust

Please send me a ticket via the ticketing system at softpres.org, you'll get a reply with all the details etc. asap.

Thanks!
Old 07 July 2009, 16:04   #162
MarkYoungIW

Well, I have the machine!!!! It has a external disc drive too, but to be fair I have no idea at all what I am doing. There are a box of discs with it (mainly copies), found a disk which has Workbench 3 on it.

So now I guess what I need to know, is how to get stuff on the machine!?

I also have a disc which has AmigaDos on it (no idea how to use it, and dont know if it helps anyway!!)

I have a null parellel cable, and would like to start by getting raw read on the amiga, and imaging using the PC as a server!!! So, my question is (and please explain in laymans terms), how do I do it!!!!

BTW. Dont think it has a HD or any memory upgrades.
Old 07 July 2009, 16:25   #163
prowler
Global Moderator

Hi Mark,

Congratulations on getting yourself an Amiga 1200!

However, I think you're going to be able to make altogether much better use of your machine if you install a hard drive. (I assume the external drive you mention is a floppy drive.)

The ideal thing is a 2½-inch laptop IDE hard drive of 4GB or less, and you will need a short 44-way IDE cable.

Edit: In the meantime, can you boot the machine from the Workbench 3 disk, or from any of the others?

Last edited by prowler; 07 July 2009 at 16:34.
Old 07 July 2009, 16:36   #164
MarkYoungIW

Hmm.......Will probably get the HD installed soon, but just wanted to crack on, and try not to spend more money!!!

Right, I have:-
Kickstart version 39.106
Workbench version 33.56

So if I am right, it can read 740k dos formatted discs. If this is correct, then I guess I can transfer the necessary software to use the PC as a server over the null parallel cable, and therefore transfer everything else via this means!?

Part of the reason I am trying to look at doing it this way is so that I can pass on the information to Vanpeebles, so that he doesnt need to modify his CD32 either. The way I see it, the cheaper I can keep this solution, the more people will contribute. So whats recommended to use to replace the harddrive option (PC2Amiga!?)

Out of interest, how easy to install is a hard drive!? Only reason I ask is I have a CF hard drive in my acorn, so was just thinking I could swap it over while I am doing the imaging, and just put my spare CF card in it.

Last edited by MarkYoungIW; 07 July 2009 at 16:44.
Old 07 July 2009, 16:55   #165
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkYoungIW View Post
Right, I have:-
Kickstart version 39.106
Workbench version 33.56

So if I am right, it can read 740k dos formatted discs. If this is correct, then I guess I can transfer the necessary software to use the PC as a server over the null parallel cable, and therefore transfer everything else via this means!?
Yes. Boot the machine from the Workbench disk in the internal floppy drive (DF0: ) and place the DOS-formatted floppy disk in the external floppy drive (DF1: ).

Workbench 3.0 should be able to reads DOS-formated floppies if the "Workbench" disk is not an original disk, but one that Workbench 3 has been installed to and the DOS driver has also been installed to this disk.

Quote:
Out of interest, how easy to install is a hard drive!? Only reason I ask is I have a CF hard drive in my acorn, so was just thinking I could swap it over while I am doing the imaging, and just put my spare CF card in it.
It's very easy to install a hard disk to an Amiga 1200; that's what they were designed to take.

It's only a little more difficult to install a CF hard drive instead, provided the hardware is compatible with the Amiga.
Old 07 July 2009, 17:42   #166
Tom Walker

Yes, absolutely install a hard disk! The files rawread generates are around 2 meg each, too much to fit on a floppy or on the ramdisk on a 2mb machine, and attempting to save straight to the PC via parallel cable will probably induce suicide.

It should be reasonably easy to fit the CF drive to the Amiga, the IDE interface is practically identical to the one in most Acorns anyway. That's assuming that you have the Workbench Install disk...
Old 07 July 2009, 17:51   #167
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Walker View Post
...assuming that you have the Workbench Install disk...
If not, there's always Google...
Old 07 July 2009, 18:02   #168
MarkYoungIW

Hmm.......Doesnt look like the Workbench disc includes a PC0 driver, so looks like my first hurdle!!

Have DOPUS.1, but not sure that helps?

Last edited by MarkYoungIW; 07 July 2009 at 18:07.
Old 07 July 2009, 18:05   #169
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

The PC0 driver should be on the "Storage" disk, in DOSDrivers.
Old 07 July 2009, 18:07   #170
prowler
Global Moderator

To get that driver, you will need the Amiga OS 3.0 Storage disk. Check the other disks you have. One of them might be it!

Edit: Damn! Beaten to the post by Retro-Nerd!
Old 07 July 2009, 19:54   #171
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

You can use the serial port to transfer files to the Amiga with nothing more than the files which are contained on any Amiga Workbench disk.

That is how Amiga Explorer by Cloanto Self-Install works.
Old 07 July 2009, 20:24   #172
MarkYoungIW

Checked them all, and no luck.

Guess I had best get a set then.

@alexh
Havent got a suitable serial cable (only 9 pin - 9 pin), otherwise I would definately give that a go. Shame the same cant be done over Parallel!!!

Dont suppose I could just write a preinstalled HD image to the CF card, so it would work as soon as I inserted it!? Something along the lines of putting the CF in the reader on the PC, then using winuae mount CF as the hard drive, then insert the Workbench .adf's and install it! to the CF?

Last edited by MarkYoungIW; 07 July 2009 at 20:43.
Old 07 July 2009, 22:12   #173
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Dont suppose I could just write a preinstalled HD image to the CF card, so it would work as soon as I inserted it!? Something along the lines of putting the CF in the reader on the PC, then using winuae mount CF as the hard drive, then insert the Workbench .adf's and install it! to the CF?
Yes, that should work. It's not always quite that simple, due to incompatibilities between the Amiga and certain CF-IDE adapters and CF cards. But, as Tom Walker has already said: if the adapter and card are compatible with an Acorn machine, then that's a good start.
Old 08 July 2009, 00:16   #174
MarkYoungIW

That was easy. Put the card in the card reader, installed workbench onto it using WinUAE and put it in the amiga, and it works!!!

So, next is how to put stuff on the card and take it off again, will look at that tommorrow. I am guessing WinUAE has a folder that can be accessed both in WinUAE and in windows.

So, hopefully will do a bit more tommorrow.
Old 08 July 2009, 00:22   #175
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
I am guessing WinUAE has a folder that can be accessed both in WinUAE and in windows.
Yes, it can be any folder you like. Just create a folder on your Windows hard drive specifically for Windows/Amiga file sharing, launch WinUAE and mount it as a hard drive in the GUI.

Files in that folder will then be accessible from the Windows and Amiga side.
Old 08 July 2009, 12:58   #176
MarkYoungIW

Yep, all sorted. Know basically what I am doing. Awaiting SPS tools at the moment, but going to dump some images for Tom to test with his apd format for Arculator.

Not bad machines these Amigas. Not sure I'm a total convert yet though!!!
Old 08 July 2009, 15:53   #177
gizmomelb

Mark - I use a PCMCIA to compact flash adapter on the amiga, then use a second compact flash to transfer data between the amiga and PC. Just stick it into a compact flash to USB reader on my PC and it's the quickest and easiest way I know of to transfer software between amiga and PC. heck an old 16MB CF card holds a 16 disk (adf, dms etc.) images and at least a few SPS raw images.

you will also need to install the following software on the Amiga -

CFD - compact flash device - http://aminet.net/package/disk/misc/cfd
tsgui - my favourite front end for handling dms, adf etc. disk images - http://aminet.net/package/disk/misc/cfd

I'll try zoning a ZIP file with all of them already unpacked, then you can copy them direct to your CF HDD and install them (otherwise you'll also need to download the amiga LHA and LZH unpackers from aminet and install them etc.)
Old 08 July 2009, 16:15   #178
vexation

Quote:
Yep, all sorted. Know basically what I am doing. Awaiting SPS tools at the moment, but going to dump some images for Tom to test with his apd format for Arculator.
Speaking of which, any news or eta on a new Arculator release? There's nothing on the website.. just curious! Been messing around with RPCSpoon and the older Arculator, brought back a helluva lot of memories! Had to fire up all the old Brother In Arms demos for kicks.
Old 08 July 2009, 17:59   #179
Tom Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by vexation View Post
Speaking of which, any news or eta on a new Arculator release?
I originally intended a new release for the end of May, but that obviously didn't happen. New deadline is for the end of summer. Maybe.
Old 09 July 2009, 06:53   #180
MethodGit

Has anyone managed to obtain Rick Dangerous by any chance? Apparently only a demo version has been obtainable all these years.