English Amiga Board


Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. Asm / Hardware

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 19 July 2017, 19:15   #141
donnie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: sthlm
Posts: 186
Honestly why bother?

Even if you could, it would not be a great port. And even then. Who wants to play wolfenstein today.

wolfenstein in 10 frames in a small box. what a waste.
donnie is offline  
Old 19 July 2017, 19:34   #142
Knocker
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Santa Cruz/US
Posts: 45
I'm surprised by the negativity, and harsh language, towards an Amiga fan, on an Amiga board.

OK, so there's an ST version of Wolfenstein. When I was a teenager it was known that an A500 was a better game machine than Atari ST, due to special features like blitter/copper.

Isn't it then fair to assume that a better version could be made for an A500 (w/ trapdoor memory, no FAST RAM)? If not, can someone explain why? Or is the blitter/copper not that useful in this case? Thanks for clarifying.
Knocker is offline  
Old 19 July 2017, 19:44   #143
Akira
Registered User

Akira's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: New York
Posts: 19,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knocker View Post
I'm surprised by the negativity, and harsh language, towards an Amiga fan, on an Amiga board.
[...]Isn't it then fair to assume that a better version could be made for an A500 (w/ trapdoor memory, no FAST RAM)? If not, can someone explain why? Or is the blitter/copper not that useful in this case? Thanks for clarifying.
You know as much of Amiga hardware as Miggy4eva, hence you come to the same conclusions.
The problem is not lack of hardware knowledge itself, but reluctance to learn from what people who actually know are telling.

If you had read the whole thread, you would realize, there's a LOT of information that can answer your question. Your assumption isn't fair, the evidence is in 7 pages worth of forum analysis. Actually 4, until Miggy4eva derailed it.
Akira is offline  
Old 19 July 2017, 20:03   #144
idrougge
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 3,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigajay View Post
The ST was mostly £100 cheaper than the A500 in the UK, same market so the comparison is fair, where as the X68000 was aimed at developers, so for one it was never aiming for the mass market, again if i owned one i would state the sales figures would never be in the millions just like the Neo-Geo.
The X68000 was aimed at developers no more than the Amiga was aimed at developers. It was an enthusiast's machine, released on a market that never had any competing 16-bit home computers. Just the case of the X68000 was so costly that the A2000 equivalent X68000 Pro ended up costing less than the standard machine, despite the "Pro" monicker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigajay
But yes the X68000 has some great arcade games, that's because alot were developed on the machines! Other than these there really isn't a massive selection of games bar anime, hentei etc i would still rather an A500 over one anyday.
The X68000 has great arcade games because its hardware was similar to arcade platforms, not the other way around. And because its games weren't developed by 17-year-olds sitting in a bedroom for an audience consisting of 12-year-olds who bought Ocean games.
idrougge is offline  
Old 19 July 2017, 20:08   #145
Zarchos
Banned

 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Paris
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
@Miggy4eva

[SNIP]
Your argument is no better than those Atari ST owners and Archimedes owners that claim that because the Phaeleon Giga Demo on the ST and the Power Demo on the Archimedes look quite close to Shadow of the Beast on the Amiga, that a near 1:1 version should have been released on their machines!
[SNIP]
.
This is a fallacious argument as far as the Power Demo on the Archimedes is concerned, since you do not know how many CPU cycles unused are left per frame.
Much is demonstrated in this demo, many Amiga owners including the hord of liars on Gamopat, pretending that, IN A DEMO, no way the Archie could reproduce the effects found in a SOTB level.

Now for your information.
Thanks to me asking Steve Harrison, the author of the QTM mod player to inquire, the Archie has now a precise end of a scanline interrupt, and in fact it can have up to 16 interrupts per scanline.
It allows to change (because the values are written by the ARM, very fast at writing series of registers) ALL the values of ALL the registers of the VIDC and the MEMC.
Had this been revealed 30 years ago, the games market and the demo scene on the Archies would have been completely different.

I always wrote, and I have been insulted for that, that the hardware of the Archimedes had never been fully used, because of :
- lack of sales (thus lack of potential programmers)
- lack of interest for hardware related solutions, when the main CPU is so fast.
Playing with the chipset was also clearly discouraged by Acorn, to make sure full compatability is guaranteed for their next models.
- lack of interest for 2D things when clearly the Archies are gifted for 3D
- no real competition in the games market or demo scene to have people scratch their heads and have really wicked ideas.

Hadn't Steve agreed to come back and developed RasterMan, I would still read that :
'The Archie hardware is lame because everything must be coded in software and the Archimedes has no hardware resources to alleviate the burden upon the CPU'.


Like for all machines, wicked ideas are necessary to get the most of the Archie.
Wicked ideas also like my fast sprites plotting routines, where it appears only the authors of Scorpius, the Hughes brothers (demomakers)
[ Show youtube player ]
came to the same conclusion and developed (more or less, and in fact : less) the same algos I did.
Note what you see only takes 290 kbytes on a diskette, and the author explained this demo version was rushed in to be supplied on next month monthly disk (Acorn User) and the game was to have more sprites, and ingame music, too.
OK it runs at 25 frames per second (whatever the Archimedes model), but no way a non AGA Amiga (unexpanded) can do it.
1st it uses a 256 colour screen mode, so it is going to be impossible for the non AGA Amiga to do it.
A base, stock 1 Mbyte RAM, 8 Mhz Archie from 1987 runs Scorpius, at 25 fps, with no slowdowns.
And everyhting is done by software.
Imagine what it would give with RasterMan hardware acceleration capabilities (and my superior plotting routines).

PS : There is an history behind the development of RasterMan by Steve Harrison.
I nearly fell off my (ARM)chair when I 1st saw this German demo, the cMEMC demo, from 1994 :
[ Show youtube player ]
It has been produced by BlackIce (Marko Lukat), who also developed (with Lord of the Earwings) a sound playroutine, the Matrix Tracker, able to play S3M files on the Archie, up to 32 channels, as demonstrated on my YT channel.
I then understood that to get a precise h-sync it was necessary that the sound play routine doesn't conflict with your code.
So only somebody who had developed a sound playroutine could develop a precise pseudo h-sync.
This is why I asked Steve to investigate, because he had developed QTM.
The Archimedes can say 'thank you' : it is thanks to Steve that the power of it chipset, dormant in its guts for so long, is now unleashed.

Last edited by Zarchos; 19 July 2017 at 21:38. Reason: Easier to read. Clarity about who did what.
Zarchos is offline  
Old 19 July 2017, 21:29   #146
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Galahad/FLT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: United Kingdom
Age: 46
Posts: 7,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarchos View Post
This is a fallacious argument as far as the Power Demo on the Archimedes is concerned, since you do not know how many cycles unused are left per frame.
Much is demonstrated in this demo, many Amiga owners including the hord of liars on Gamopat, pretending that, IN A DEMO, no way the Archie could reproduce the effects found in a SOTB level.
Its not fallacious in the slightest. I really don't think you have any appreciation for what it would take to realise something like Beast on the base model Archimedes. Sure, its got a fast processor, but that won't be enough on its own.

As well as the parallax layers in the sky, it uses hardware sprites for the moon and the blimps that move across, it also reloads the sprites for the heart rate monitor and the potions. These are elements that don't need to be redrawn every frame, and sprite priorities are switched so that the blimps and moon are below the clouds.

All of the sky elements on the Archimedes would have to be redrawn every frame.

Then there is the 13 levels of parallax at the bottom that are simply hardware scrolled, the Archimedes would have to redraw all 13 at their varying speeds every frame.

Some of those trees moving across the screen? Reloaded hardware sprites, no redrawing necessary for the Amiga, on the Archimedes, you're going to have to redraw all that as well, some of those trees are not sprites and are part of the dual playfield, meaning objects plotted over the trees don't have to preserve the parts of the trees they cover because its dual playfield.

Archimedes doesn't get that advantage.

The Beast character, obviously no hassles there. However, some of the enemies that you come up against in Beast on the outside level are pretty big, with the metal spikes easily going higher than the mountain background,
the hands are pretty big objects, sometimes two onscreen, then theres the yellow tree/spike things that are quite big, as well as at times the ball/eye enemies that bounce around the Beast character.

The Archimedes is going to have to redraw EVERYTHING on screen, and, play music and sound fx, and not drop a frame, no 25frames a second here

The Amiga could do all of this because Reflections designed it around the Amigas strengths.

Theres a reason why the game is in dual playfield.

But that means only 16 colours right? Wrong. Try at least 128 colours with
extensive colour reloading by the copper

Beast was exploited by many demo groups back in the day, eager to prove that Reflections didn't have the monopoly on technical prowess, I find it odd that in light of Beats reputation that no-one ever tried to replicate it in full on the Archimedes, clearly the Power Demo was inspired by it, you have to ask the question why they didn't go further with it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarchos View Post
Now for your information.
Thanks to me asking the author of the QTM mod player to inquire, the Archie has now a precise end of a scanline interrupt, and in fact it can have up to 16 interrupts per scanline.
It allows to change (because the values are written by the ARM, very efficient at writing series of registers) ALL the values of ALL the registers of the VIDC and the MEMC.
Had this been revealed 30 years ago, the games market and the demo scene on the Archies would have been completely different.
With respect, thats irrelevant now. Advances like this needed to be discovered when the Archimedes was current, 30 years later is 30 years too late.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarchos View Post
I always wrote, and I have been insulted for that, that the hardware of the Archimedes had never been fully used because of :
- lack of sales (thus lack of potential programmers)
- lack of interest for hardware related solutions, when the main CPU is so fast
- lack of interest for 2D things when clearly the Archies are gifted for 3D
- no real competition in the games market or demo scene to have people really have wicked ideas.
- this RasterMan could only be developed by somebody having also developed a playroutine so that both work together and don't conflict.
No surprise it is this demo which made me ask Steve3000 from Quantum to come back to the Archie scene to develop his Raster Manager :
[ Show youtube player ] and the author had developed the Matrix Tracker (able to play S3M files on the Archie, up to 32 channels, as demonstrated on my YT channel).
Would have helped if the Archimedes wasn't hampered by Acorn in the first place who priced it too high, and just expected that all schools would replace their ageing BBC Model B's and Masters with Archimedes instead.

The likes of RM with their shitty Nimbus machines undercut them, and they were not even a quarter of the power of an Archimedes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarchos View Post
Like for all machines, wicked ideas are necessary to get the most of the Archie.
Wicked ideas like my fast sprites plotting routines, where it appears only the authors of Scorpius, the Hughes brothers (demomakers)
[ Show youtube player ]
came to the same conclusion and developed (more or less, and in fact : less) the same algos I did.
Note what you see only takes 290 kbytes on a diskette, and the author explained this demo version was rushed in to be supplied on next month monthly disk (Acorn User) and the game was to have more sprites, and ingame music, too.
OK it runs at 25 frames per second (whatever the Archimedes model), but no way a non AGA Amiga (unexpanded) can do it.
1st it uses a 256 colour screen mode, so it is going to be impossible for the non AGA Amiga to do it.
Tell that to every Amiga programmer that knows how to reload the copper chip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarchos View Post
A base, stock 1 Mbyte RAM, 8 Mhz Archie from 1987 runs Scorpius, at 25 fps, with no slowdowns.
And everyhting is done by software.
Imagine what it would give with RasterMan hardware acceleration capabilities (and my superior plotting routines).
Its impressive, it has lots of stuff onscreen, but really, the goal of most horizontal scrollers was for 50fps, certainly there are plenty of Amiga 500 shooters that had the same 25fps restriction, and had quite a lot onscreen, but as most of the horizontal shooters on Amiga were conversions of arcades, they kind of had to follow the template set down.

Bullet Hell shooters were never really a thing on Amiga
Galahad/FLT is offline  
Old 19 July 2017, 21:49   #147
Zarchos
Banned

 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Paris
Posts: 39
So you don't understand what the raster manager brings then ?
Your 1st assertions are all wrong.
I'll read the other ones later tonight.
Pop corn.
Zarchos is offline  
Old 19 July 2017, 21:57   #148
Dunny
Registered User

Dunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Scunthorpe/United Kingdom
Posts: 1,322
Is there a reason the scrolling layers in the Power demo on the Arch don't overlap?
Dunny is offline  
Old 19 July 2017, 22:25   #149
Akira
Registered User

Akira's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: New York
Posts: 19,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
Bullet Hell shooters were never really a thing on Amiga
I don't think they are possible.
Akira is offline  
Old 19 July 2017, 22:25   #150
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Galahad/FLT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: United Kingdom
Age: 46
Posts: 7,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarchos View Post
So you don't understand what the raster manager brings then ?
Your 1st assertions are all wrong.
I'll read the other ones later tonight.
Pop corn.
Its certainly not going to reduce the overhead of having to redraw EVERYTHING on screen
Galahad/FLT is offline  
Old 19 July 2017, 22:34   #151
Zarchos
Banned

 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Paris
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
Its certainly not going to reduce the overhead of having to redraw EVERYTHING on screen
You are a 100% wrong.
Why don't you watch the cMEMC YT video where I explain it all ?
I provided the link. You didn't even click on it ?
That is non scientifical.
And you use caps, what is that for ? Shouting ?
Please, behave yourself.

Last edited by Zarchos; 19 July 2017 at 22:41.
Zarchos is offline  
Old 19 July 2017, 22:49   #152
Samurai_Crow
Total Chaos forever!

Samurai_Crow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Ft. Collins, CO USA
Age: 45
Posts: 1,307
Send a message via Yahoo to Samurai_Crow
http://aminet.net/package/game/demo/walls17 shows what the Amiga blitter can do. It has no texture maps and that is why it works well on the Amiga 1000.
Samurai_Crow is offline  
Old 19 July 2017, 23:08   #153
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Galahad/FLT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: United Kingdom
Age: 46
Posts: 7,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarchos View Post
You are a 100% wrong.
Why don't you watch the cMEMC YT video where I explain it all ?
I provided the link. You didn't even click on it ?
That is non scientifical.
And you use caps, what is that for ? Shouting ?
Please, behave yourself.
I already did, nothing in that shows that the Archimedes can do Beast.

You're trying the same argument Miggy4eva is doing by showcasing a demo ( which incidentally in this case isn't REMOTELY relevant! ) which doesn't have game mechanics running at the same time which would have a massive effect on the end result.

What is 'scientifical' is to use a demo/example that at least closely tries to resemble the effects of what it is you're trying to argue. Power Demo is the example you should be using, because that is closer to Beast than your cMEMC video is.

Don't just tell me i'm wrong, please give us the details of how and why Power Demo is as it is, and not a 100% replication of Beast when its clearly obvious thats where its inspiration lies
Galahad/FLT is offline  
Old 19 July 2017, 23:08   #154
NorthWay
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Grimstad / Norway
Posts: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knocker View Post
Isn't it then fair to assume that a better version could be made for an A500 (w/ trapdoor memory, no FAST RAM)?
No.
Wolfenstein games (AFAIK) typically draw single pixels, in column order. With bitplanes you a) update a single bit in each bitplane, b) keep everything in registers and write it out after batching up 16(or 32) rows, or c) treat a buffer as a chunky pixels buffer and convert it to bitplanes after it is updated. Option b) is not very good as the algorithm is designed for columns.

So the ST then? It clocks 12-13% faster and the weirdo bitplane layout it has might help it twiddle stuff faster (and I don't think it would slow it down compared to proper bitplanes).

Could you think out of the box and do something different on the Amiga? I bet you could. Perhaps many sets of hw sprites for different columns. Perhaps many precalculated columns that could be blitted onto screeen.
But you would quickly deviate from the point of the game which is basically a showcase for an algorithm and neither the copper nor the blitter boosts single pixel / column handling unlike multi-words / rows.
NorthWay is offline  
Old 19 July 2017, 23:34   #155
Zarchos
Banned

 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Paris
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
I already did, nothing in that shows that the Archimedes can do Beast.

You're trying the same argument Miggy4eva is doing by showcasing a demo ( which incidentally in this case isn't REMOTELY relevant! ) which doesn't have game mechanics running at the same time which would have a massive effect on the end result.

What is 'scientifical' is to use a demo/example that at least closely tries to resemble the effects of what it is you're trying to argue. Power Demo is the example you should be using, because that is closer to Beast than your cMEMC video is.

Don't just tell me i'm wrong, please give us the details of how and why Power Demo is as it is, and not a 100% replication of Beast when its clearly obvious thats where its inspiration lies
Who cares about the Power Demo as we do not know how many cycles there are left.
The text says it works on a MEMC equiped Archie when all can have a MEMC1a, available as standard from 1989, and giving a speed gain of about 10%.
10% of 4.5 MIPS is already a lot to deal with games logic. That is more than half the power of the 68000 of the Amiga.
I explained why RasterMan changes everything.
I gave details in the cMEMC video.
You are a 100% wrong when you say all elements have to be redrawn.
Video DMA redirection + VIDC border, start and end of visible screen all reprogrammable per scanline makes everything you SHOUTED plain wrong.
I ll type with a computer later, cellphone is too lousy.

Last edited by Zarchos; 19 July 2017 at 23:41. Reason: More trouncing.
Zarchos is offline  
Old 20 July 2017, 00:20   #156
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Galahad/FLT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: United Kingdom
Age: 46
Posts: 7,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarchos View Post
Who cares about the Power Demo as we do not know how many cycles there are left.
Of course we care. We look at it, and its still missing lots of Beast type elements. So we either conclude:

1). The Archimedes couldn't do more than what was shown
2). The programmer was lazy and went to all that effort to do a Beast style demo feature, but decided it would be better to not equal Beast and do something inferior

And we know why its inferior to Amiga Beast, because the Archimedes doesn't use separate bitplanes, and isn't really designed to be able to do something like Beast, no matter how powerful the CPU is.

When it comes to vector based processing, well, theres no comparison, Lander looks and plays MUCH better than the Amiga version (Virus) does.

You see, this isn't a discussion to say "the Archimedes is shit and can't do anything", its to be HONEST and say "its good at a Lander style of game, but not so good at a Beast style game".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarchos View Post
The text says it works on a MEMC equiped Archie when all can have a MEMC1a, available as standard from 1989, and giving a speed gain of about 10%.
10% of 4.5 MIPS is already a lot to deal with games logic. That is more than half the power of the 68000 of the Amiga.
Irrelevant, and shows you really don't understand how a game like Beast which is designed around how the Amiga hardware works. The hardware (i.e. the 'weak coprocessors') do all the work, it really doesn't matter how fast the 68000 is, it could be half the speed that it is, and Beast would likely be unaffected, because it's not doing the work.

Some of the graphics are hardware sprites, entire game is coloured by the copper, the blitter is used to copy graphics around, dual playfield is used to reduce overheads, Paula is used to play sounds and music, hardware scrolling is used for the obvious reasons.

The very nature of how Beast works means everything has to be redrawn on the Archimedes because its strengths do not lie in this style of game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarchos View Post
I explained why RasterMan changes everything.
I gave details in the cMEMC video.
You are a 100% wrong when you say all elements have to be redrawn.
Video DMA redirection + VIDC border, start and end of visible screen all reprogrammable per scanline makes everything you SHOUTED plain wrong.
I ll type with a computer later, cellphone is too lousy.
I'm doubting you know how the Archimedes works! Yes, hardware scrolling 13 layers at the bottom of the screen is easily within the capabilities of the Archimedes, you're not taking into account all of the elements that are drawn over those layers that the Archimedes absolutely HAS to redraw, because the Archimedes doesn't use separate bitplanes like the Amiga.

The foreground fence/stone wall has a different speed grass layer shown in the transparent parts.

Then there are the rest of the parallax layers with the player character, which has the NON-REPEATING Trees behind it, and behind that is the mountain range, as well as any enemies that show up being plotted over all those elements.

You can't just scroll all of those elements and not take account of the interaction of the other elements that will be plotted over them?!?!

The Archimedes is a decent machine, better than the Amiga at some things, but i'm afraid you're going to have to accept that in other areas, the Amiga is better than the Archimedes at things it was specifically designed to excel at.

I'm not even sure how this is an argument
Galahad/FLT is offline  
Old 20 July 2017, 00:52   #157
idrougge
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 3,927
Wait a minute, are you saying that the Archimedes can't scroll?
idrougge is offline  
Old 20 July 2017, 01:09   #158
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Galahad/FLT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: United Kingdom
Age: 46
Posts: 7,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge View Post
Wait a minute, are you saying that the Archimedes can't scroll?
Nope, not at all, i'm not sure how you even got that from my posts?!?!

It can scroll, but I don't believe it can do a 1:1 copy of Amiga Shadow of the Beast.
Galahad/FLT is offline  
Old 20 July 2017, 01:20   #159
idrougge
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 3,927
I must have misread something. I don't know much about the Acorn video hardware.
idrougge is offline  
Old 20 July 2017, 02:16   #160
kovacm
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Serbia
Posts: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
I don't think they are possible.
but they are possible on Falcon

[ Show youtube player ]
kovacm is offline  
 


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Block Shock/Shock Wave - The Last Chance Retro-Nerd Games images which need to be WHDified 11 05 May 2012 00:31
Amiga 1000 Inboard 1000 by Spirit - help needed amiman99 support.Hardware 0 13 December 2011 05:50
Very old damaged EA game disks (1985/1986): looking for ADF replacement... Hacky request.Old Rare Games 19 20 October 2008 23:56
Connecting Amiga 1000 DKB Insider to 1000 without daughterboard huggies support.Hardware 0 05 October 2008 12:10
What Pre-1985 Video Game Character Am I? Kodoichi Nostalgia & memories 12 03 January 2002 18:46

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 23:15.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Page generated in 0.14674 seconds with 16 queries