English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 04 August 2009, 02:06   #1
b1k3rdude

Now i remember why I havent played with WinUAE in ages..

just trying to do a vanilla OS3.9 install is like pulling f****** nails, and I also remember why I made a copy of the original CD - because of the read/write errors from an unmarked mint condition CD, for the love of... the only way i could get OS3.9 to install was to copy the Emergency-Boot folder and mount that as a hard directory within WinUAE - complete bollox. And them when i try to do a serach of the forum the search complains that 'the search term is too short' the search term was "Amiga OS 3.9" how the F*** can that be too short...bah!

Last edited by b1k3rdude; 04 August 2009 at 02:42.
Old 04 August 2009, 05:14   #2
andy
Back.

I can help you directly with the forum search. Most sites are the same and need three characters or more. I did once visit one site that it didn't work with, but just add a 'wildcard' asterisk if you have two characters anywhere in your search.

For instance, if you were looking for OS, type "OS*" (without the quotes) and results will be returned. I just checked and it works fine here.
Old 04 August 2009, 08:48   #3
TCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1k3rdude View Post
And them when i try to do a serach of the forum the search complains that 'the search term is too short' the search term was "Amiga OS 3.9" how the F*** can that be too short...bah!
If you include the quotes it would also work. Then you find this : http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=39893 which leads to this : http://thomas-rapp.homepage.t-online.de/os39xl.html
Old 04 August 2009, 09:47   #4
Ian
Global Moderator

Search for CacheCDFS thats whats fucking it up for you. (It does it on the real thing too so it's nothing to do with WinUAE)

If the buffer is too high it creates read/write errors. I needed to set it to 10000 for it to work.

Anyway I got rid of it and used AsimCDFS instead it's far more reliable.
Old 04 August 2009, 20:58   #5
b1k3rdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Search for CacheCDFS thats whats f*cking it up for you. (It does it on the real thing too so it's nothing to do with WinUAE)

If the buffer is too high it creates read/write errors. I needed to set it to 10000 for it to work.

Anyway I got rid of it and used AsimCDFS instead it's far more reliable.
Ah now this is getting somewhere, where is cacheCDFS, I assume its a line within the CD0 tooltype that I have the edit..?

This is quite sad really, I cant install a genuine copy of Os39 on any Amiga rela or emulated without editing or replacing things, for shame. So how did everone else who had a real amiga actually get it installed like.....
Old 04 August 2009, 23:22   #6
Ian
Global Moderator

Yeah in the storage/dosdrivers folder change the maxtransfer to a lower number and your set.
Old 05 August 2009, 00:09   #7
Mad-Matt
Longplayer

Send a message via ICQ to Mad-Matt Send a message via MSN to Mad-Matt
Quote:
This is quite sad really, I cant install a genuine copy of Os39 on any Amiga rela or emulated without editing or replacing things, for shame. So how did everone else who had a real amiga actually get it installed like.....
Id say most of us got by due to making the emergency install floppy from an existing workbench install which copied the working cd mount file to the disk. So installing from this boot disk wasnt an issue.
Old 05 August 2009, 00:58   #8
b1k3rdude

Quote:
Yeah in the storage/dosdrivers folder change the maxtransfer to a lower number and your set.
Yeah did that, but then see below...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad-Matt View Post
Id say most of us got by due to making the emergency install floppy from an existing workbench install which copied the working cd mount file to the disk. So installing from this boot disk wasnt an issue.
Yeah i was thinking the same thing. I got a bit further before untill the bloody emergency-disc popped up a 'iprefs suspend or reboot' error..

And to think I actually paid for OS3.9...bunch of arse..
Old 05 August 2009, 01:12   #9
prowler
Global Moderator

I first installed AmigaOS 3.9 from the Second Edition (pink) CD in WinUAE 0.8.8r8 using Thomas Rapp's procedure, and it worked like a charm!
Furthermore, the Boing Bags 1 and 2 could then also be installed without problems.

At that time, the recommendation was to use version 0.8.8r8 for installation, because later versions would not allow it, for some reason. However, the installation, once completed, could then be used with later versions.

There was no English translation of the procedure at all then, so I translated it myself. I will upload this (translated, html, with screenshots) old version of the procedure to the Zone if anyone would be interested to see it.

Last edited by prowler; 05 August 2009 at 01:35. Reason: Aded detail.
Old 05 August 2009, 01:54   #10
Photon

Quote:
just trying to do a vanilla OS3.9 install is like pulling f****** nails, and I also remember why I made a copy of the original CD - because of the read/write errors from an unmarked mint condition CD, for the love of... the only way i could get OS3.9 to install was to copy the Emergency-Boot folder and mount that as a hard directory within WinUAE - complete bollox. And them when i try to do a serach of the forum the search complains that 'the search term is too short' the search term was "Amiga OS 3.9" how the F*** can that be too short...bah!
Correct number of asterisks in all places except for the strangely uncensored word 'b*****', well good enough, and no censorship needed here I think
Old 05 August 2009, 10:24   #11
Ian
Global Moderator

Quote:
Yeah i was thinking the same thing. I got a bit further before untill the bloody emergency-disc popped up a 'iprefs suspend or reboot' error..

And to think I actually paid for OS3.9...bunch of arse..
What I ended up doing was adding AmisCDFS to a standard workbench 3.1 disk, booted with that and then installed AmigaOS 3.9.

It's a bit of faffing around but it should work perfectly then.
Old 05 August 2009, 12:42   #12
b1k3rdude

Quote:
What I ended up doing was adding AmisCDFS to a standard workbench 3.1 disk, booted with that and then installed AmigaOS 3.9. It's a bit of faffing around but it should work perfectly then.
Ill try that, as adding CacheCDFS to a standard wb3.1 disk didnt work, the installed came up with a suspend/reboot error...
Old 07 August 2009, 04:21   #13
b1k3rdude

Sweet, AmiCDFS did the job on the wb3.1 so I thought I would give a go installing it on the Edisk, and bingo! and then I thought Id go the whole gog and install usagfx/rtg on there and bam! So Im a happy chappy :-)

1. what mode do you set Winuae so that HD toolbox will see an actual amiga hard drive..?
2. Is winuae/amigaOS39 capable of booting from a hd adf as well as dd floppies
Old 08 August 2009, 00:11   #14
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
1. what mode do you set Winuae so that HD toolbox will see an actual amiga hard drive..?
In WinUAE Properties, choose Hard drives, and then Add Hard Drive... to mount your actual Amiga hard drive connected to the PC's hard drive controller.

Quote:
2. Is winuae/amigaOS39 capable of booting from a hd adf as well as dd floppies
Yes, WinUAE/AmigaOS3.9 will boot from ADF images created from DD floppy disks, hard disk files (HDFs) and Windows directories containing system files.
Old 08 August 2009, 01:25   #15
b1k3rdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
In WinUAE Properties, choose Hard drives, and then Add Hard Drive... to mount your actual Amiga hard drive connected to the PC's hard drive controller.

Yes, WinUAE/AmigaOS3.9 will boot from ADF images created from DD floppy disks, hard disk files (HDFs) and Windows directories containing system files.
Ok let me ask the same questions differently...

Why cant HD toolbox see a HDF based hardfile and can Amiga OS bot from a HD floppy..
Old 08 August 2009, 07:54   #16
tero

When creating your .hdf file press on 'enable RDB mode'
It will then appear in HDToolbox under uaehf.device
Old 08 August 2009, 15:39   #17
b1k3rdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by tero View Post
Ok Im sure i tried this, but maybe I did it in the wrong sequence.... its been so long since a played with an amiga, that I forgot that raw hard drives dont appear on the wb desktop... doh!
Old 08 August 2009, 19:09   #18
b1k3rdude

Quote:
Why cant HD toolbox see a HDF based hardfile and can Amiga OS bot from a HD floppy..
And this one..?
Old 08 August 2009, 22:51   #19
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Why cant HD toolbox see a HDF based hardfile...
This question was answered by tero above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tero View Post
Normally, a HDF (Hard Disk File) emulates a logical drive, unless you follow tero's suggestion, in which case it will emulate a physical hard drive.

Quote:
...and can Amiga OS bot from a HD floppy..
Amiga OS can boot from a HD floppy, either a physical 1760K HD floppy disk mounted in an Amiga HD floppy drive, or (maybe) a HD floppy disk with the HD sensing hole covered and then formatted to 880K in an Amiga DD floppy drive. And, of course, Amiga OS ruinning in WinUAE can boot from both 1760K and 880K ADF files emulating either of the above.
Old 09 August 2009, 02:04   #20
b1k3rdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
Amiga OS can boot from a HD floppy, either a physical 1760K HD floppy disk mounted in an Amiga HD floppy drive, or (maybe) a HD floppy disk with the HD sensing hole covered and then formatted to 880K in an Amiga DD floppy drive. And, of course, Amiga OS ruinning in WinUAE can boot from both 1760K and 880K ADF files emulating either of the above.
Sorry i was refering to booting from a HD floppy before, Hmm ok I must being doing something wrong as Winuae wont boot from a HD floppy for me..