English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Old Rare Games

Old 18 October 2003, 00:23   #1
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
East vs West - Berlin 1948 (Electronic Zoo; US version)

Look here:

http://hangar18.campus.luth.se/exoti...y/games/b.html

What Exotica called 'alternative scan', is -- with 99.9% probability -- the US scan.

Cf. HOL: http://hol.abime.net/?id=94

Seems to be the US scan too, because US-only publisher Electronic Zoo can be read with logo and address on the back of the cover.

So .. who has the US version then?
I reckon there's some difference with the versions inside (just think about some thoughtless US remarks about Germans even nowadays!), albeit I might be completely wrong here. It's at least worth a try looking in.

NOTE: No version of this game has yet surfaced on CAPS
(albeit I've spotted some donation of a boxed version)
Old 19 October 2003, 15:52   #2
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

First off, have a look at the Rainbow Arts version at these sites:

http://www.thelegacy.de/Museum/game.php3?game_id=4235
(Amiga version)

http://www.mobygames.com/game/covers/p,2/gameId,4807/
(DOS version, but covers match the Amiga version)

Comparing my Rainbow Arts box to the Electronic Zoo box (as shown in HOL), there's not a lot of difference. The front covers are similar- they use the same basic artwork, but differ somewhat in layout and the Electronic Zoo version has a shorter title (i.e. Berlin 1948).

The same really applies to the back covers- i.e. pictures are the same but the layout is somewhat different. Besides layout, the major differences are that the Time Warp logo has been replaced by the Electronic Zoo one and that the game blurbs are written a little differently (notably on the Electronic Zoo version they state you will be playing a CIA agent, Sam Jordan, whereas they only really tell you this in the manual of the Rainbow Arts version).

Both versions include the audiotape that is part of the intro. Overall, I think besides the box covers there's probably no difference in the games themselves (i.e. no Electronic Zoo logos in the intro or game or any other differences).

I can tell you that the Electronic Zoo English docs are much more comprehensive and the plot more Americanised than the Rainbow Arts docs. Take a look here at the Electronic Zoo docs (Amiga version):

http://www.the-underdogs.org/games/b...les/berlin.txt

Could be that the Electronic Zoo docs may have omitted the German and French instructions that the Rainbow Arts version also includes.

Last edited by DrBong; 19 October 2003 at 16:05.
Old 19 October 2003, 20:17   #3
andreas
Zone Friend

Hooooo

Thanks for your comprehensive answers.

Anyway, I do believe that the game must be different "inside" as well.
Best would be if BOTH the US and the non-US versions showed up on CAPS sooner or later so I can "live"-check them by test-playing each of them
Or someone manages to discover the US version as an ADF (some US crackers MUST have laid their hands on this version, I strongly believe it).

Twist has scarcely showed up here recently, but maybe some of his BBS lists will give some more clarity about the matter.
Old 21 October 2003, 16:22   #4
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
Originally posted by andreas
Anyway, I do believe that the game must be different "inside" as well.

Best would be if BOTH the US and the non-US versions showed up on CAPS sooner or later so I can "live"-check them by test-playing each of them
Ahhh Andreas.....ever the wishful thinker!

Very few PAL and NTSC releases differed in content, even beyond the very cosmetic (i.e. a different company logo on the titlescreen). As I've only recently discovered, a lot of coders used NTSC screens (i.e. 320 x 200) in PAL versions of their games, so few modifications were needed if a NTSC version was to be released later on.

I would expect that since Berlin 1948 was a point-and-click adventure (and not a more simple game like a shoot 'em-up or platformer), that there are unlikely to be any differences between the US and Euro versions.

Of course, it would be good if we had the 2 versions for comparison so we could find this out for sure (and satisfy your curiosity!)
Old 23 October 2003, 08:09   #5
andreas
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally posted by DrBong
Ahhh Andreas.....ever the wishful thinker!
LOL...
Well I originally come from the C64 world, where this is VERY common!
Just compare Ikari Warriors (Europe - Elite) and Ikari Warriors (US - Data East)!
WORLDS apart!

Might be I can't just project these matters onto the Amiga world. (Maybe)
Old 23 October 2003, 14:10   #6
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
Originally posted by andreas
Well I originally come from the C64 world, where this is VERY common!
Just compare Ikari Warriors (Europe - Elite) and Ikari Warriors (US - Data East)!
WORLDS apart!
Well, I'm a big C64 nut too! Yes, differences between US and Euro versions were probably more common on C64 than Amiga. The smaller size of C64 games and related code probably had something to do with it. However, when you think about all the games that had different Euro and US versions on C64, it was usually the licensed ones that had the biggest differences. Ikari Warriors is a good example on C64. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is another one that immediately springs to mind (both C64 and Amiga IIRC). Can you think of many unlicensed games that had big differences between Euro and US releases for Amiga or C64?
Old 23 October 2003, 14:12   #7
andreas
Zone Friend

latter, prolly