English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 27 February 2021, 16:05   #1
falken
Amiga Lover

Avoid cheats in games. Is possible?

Is there a reliable system to avoid cheats in Amiga games, aimed at avoiding cheating in a competition?
Old 27 February 2021, 16:05   #2
lesta_smsc

One way might be to have some clever programmers remove the cheat codes and and overlay on screen that proves the said version is being played?
Old 27 February 2021, 17:07   #3
falken
Amiga Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesta_smsc View Post
One way might be to have some clever programmers remove the cheat codes and and overlay on screen that proves the said version is being played?
Unfortunately we do not have a programmer capable of doing that.
Old 27 February 2021, 17:51   #4
dreadnought

You can require a video recording, that's how the "serious" arcade rankings are made.
Old 27 February 2021, 18:45   #5
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadnought View Post
You can require a video recording, that's how the "serious" arcade rankings are made.
+1 This is the way to go.
Old 27 February 2021, 18:56   #6
roondar

In addition, as I understand it in the PC speed running world, it's often required that you show which version you are running. Sometimes this goes as far as requiring you to show SHA2 or similar checksums for the files being used and proving this is the actual files you're using.
Old 27 February 2021, 19:55   #7
dreadnought

Quote:
Originally Posted by roondar View Post
Sometimes this goes as far as requiring you to show SHA2 or similar checksums for the files being used and proving this is the actual files you're using.
I was thinking about that too. Aren't those possible to be falsified as well though? (I don't know much about them). I mean, in theory, you could try to manipulate the videos somehow, wasn't that the case with that disgraced Kong dude?

The meta question is, how serious do you want your competition to be? And where is the point where one gets too paranoid about cheating? I mean, if it's the Amiga world then it's probably not gonna make the front pages (or whatever the kids are using for news these days). I believe that too much rules = less fun = more stress. I ran a season-long High Score compo on a Spectrum forum last year and the only rule was to provide screenshot, but even that was quite lenient. It was based strictly on trust, and the idea was to have fun playing games, not be extremely competitive. It was quite popular actually, but I believe that if I had introduced super strict score submission rules, attendance would shrink next to nothing.
Old 27 February 2021, 20:13   #8
roondar

I don't think cheating can be completely avoided, so yeah - it does become about how serious you want it to be. Considering some of the rather high-profile speedrun cheating incidents I've seen lately, it seems there are people who take their speedrunning and their cheating quite seriously.

For fun, look at the minecraft speedrun scandal... It's... It's... Just wow.
Old 27 February 2021, 22:07   #9
dreadnought

Sigh...I don't follow this scene, so just typed in "speedrun cheaters" and the first hit was some high drama featuring a shirtless utuber "exposing" another speedrunner

Then I read about that Minecraf foolery and now had enough of this kinda info to last me a long time. That's what happens when people get too serious about what's supposed to be a fun hobby.
Old 27 February 2021, 22:15   #10
roondar

Truthfully, I got into watching speedruns because someone finished Super Mario in somewhat under 5 minutes (don't let him catch me being this imprecise though lol!) and that was quite fun to watch. But yeah, there's drama there and I don't much care for it.
Old 28 February 2021, 10:49   #11
lesta_smsc

One way would be for the games to be played in real time... the server can keep track of progress. A bit like when we play netplay on FS-UAE and others can be in spectator mode.

No pre-recorded games.
Old 28 February 2021, 15:41   #12
falken
Amiga Lover

Quote:
One way would be for the games to be played in real time... the server can keep track of progress. A bit like when we play netplay on FS-UAE and others can be in spectator mode.

No pre-recorded games.
I am referring to Amiga games. What do you think is the most feasible option? Record a video...?

There is no other possibility?
Old 28 February 2021, 15:48   #13
jotd
This cat is no more

a video is a good option. but check the only magic pockets longrun yt video and it is obvious that the player uses whdoad slave cheatkey to get the proper bonus. and it is not even a contest... sigh...
Old 28 February 2021, 15:55   #14
lesta_smsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by falken View Post
I am referring to Amiga games. What do you think is the most feasible option? Record a video...?

There is no other possibility?
Yes Amiga games can be streamed live. I believe AmigaLive which runs off FS-UAE provides this.
Old 28 February 2021, 15:57   #15
falken
Amiga Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
a video is a good option. but check the only magic pockets longrun yt video and it is obvious that the player uses whdoad slave cheatkey to get the proper bonus. and it is not even a contest... sigh...
Maybe starting the recording before starting the game to check that it does not use a whdload parameter?
Old 28 February 2021, 15:58   #16
falken
Amiga Lover

Quote:
Yes Amiga games can be streamed live. I believe AmigaLive which runs off FS-UAE provides this.
But the lag is terrible, right?
Old 28 February 2021, 16:11   #17
lesta_smsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by falken View Post
But the lag is terrible, right?
Not really... its the same as playing on emulation just that your game is being broadcast
Old 28 February 2021, 16:22   #18
dreadnought

Where there is a will there's a way. You could probably mess with a live stream method too, somewhow.

Why this urgency anyway? Are the stakes really that high?
Old 28 February 2021, 16:26   #19
falken
Amiga Lover

Quote:
Where there is a will there's a way. You could probably mess with a live stream method too, somewhow.

So high xDDDD

P.D: My 100th message is: So high xDDDD
Old 28 February 2021, 17:08   #20
lesta_smsc

Quote:

Possibly but since FS-UAE requires both computers to be synced the server side could keep a lookout for abnormal behaviour which may disqualify the contestant.

If the stakes are high... zero tolerance policy lol.