English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 26 May 2015, 21:49   #81
chaos

robinsonb5 has lately made some great speedups available on the CPU side, see here:

(pictures borrowed from user Fenio from atari forum)

I'm also fixing the AGA core, many games with sprite and color problems are being fixed.

The AGA core on the MiST board is not perfect, but we're (slowly) getting there

Any minimig-mist users here can post bug reports about non-working games / demos here (no account required):

https://gitreports.com/issue/rkrajnc/minimig-mist

Currently, I'm mostly interested in games that might have scrolling issues.

Thanks!
Old 28 May 2015, 15:04   #82
eXeler0

Great to hear.... but...
Did anyone talk to MikeJ @ fpga arcade yet? I may see things a bit differently than the people actually doing the work, but to me its a waste of precious resources that two teams are basically doing the same thing.. ;-)
Old 01 June 2015, 21:31   #83
chaos

Quote:
Great to hear.... but...
Did anyone talk to MikeJ @ fpga arcade yet? I may see things a bit differently than the people actually doing the work, but to me its a waste of precious resources that two teams are basically doing the same thing.. ;-)
Yes, well ...

there are somewhat mixed messages comming from the fpga arcade team - one time they are using the TG68 CPU core, next time they have their own core, one time MikeJ said he is only rewriting the minimig core from Verilog to VHDL and adapting it to his board, now they say that the amiga core is a completely new design and they might not share the code ...

I don't mind anything they are doing or how they are doing it, and I can only wish them good luck, but I don't want to get involved unless the terms are more clear - not that anyone invited me to join, mind you - well, maybe they never even heard of me

I only started working on the minimig AGA core because I've been waiting for years for the fpga arcade team to release something, and I just got tired of waiting.

So at least for now, I guess we will all work on the same thing ...

Plus, I hate VHDL language
Old 03 June 2015, 08:38   #84
mikej

Hi!
Sorry, just saw this thread.
The FPGAArcade website has been in need of some attention for a while. It's undergoing a rewrite, and we started to sync the developer repository to a public mirror.

A few points :

1 - I never suggested the MIST code was in any way based on my implementation.

2 - I am still using the T68K CPU (with my own cache) and contribute any bug fixes back. I am working on my own CPU which is smaller and faster, but that will need to wait until things are stable.

3 - The code was always going to be released, and has always been available to interested parties. I started a lot of this FPGA open source stuff, it's not going to change now!

4- The main effort was coming up with a clean framework I can use for all the cores. There is a lot of stuff in Minimig which needed improvement. It has got a lot better since I looked at it however. I mostly work in VHDL, so when I rewrite stuff it ends up in VHDL.
90% of my Amiga code is in VHDL now.

5 - um, that's about it. I'm tidying up for release now, shipping boards and fixing up the website. I want to finish the cache optimizations, but the timing is somewhat tricky. Currently the complete design is timing clean (I am an ASIC designer by trade) and the system is hence extremely stable.

/Mike

p.s. any questions, just email or ask on my forum.

Old 03 June 2015, 08:41   #85
mikej

oh, one other thing. I have designed an AGA daughterboard with the real chip set and a 68020 CPU which connects to the Replay board. This will be used to debug any remaining issues with the core. This is nearly ready for manufacture now.
/Mike

Old 03 June 2015, 08:52   #86
mikej

The daughterboard is certainly not "mystical". The photos below are for the first version. I need to respin it to fit on the production revB base board (with the double height joystick) connectors. I'm just waiting to see if there are any last issues with the design. I have a licensed copy of Chris' USB stack running.

I did an LCD daughterboard with touch screen just for fun (no plans to make a commercial version though).

/MikeJ
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	replay_1.jpg
Views:	592
Size:	278.2 KB
ID:	44364   Click image for larger version

Name:	replay_3.jpg
Views:	647
Size:	268.5 KB
ID:	44365   Click image for larger version

Name:	replay_july_lcd_large.jpg
Views:	446
Size:	445.1 KB
ID:	44366  

Old 03 June 2015, 20:01   #87
eXeler0

Thanx for the update MikeJ, as you said, its been a little quiet on the FPGA arcade site. Nice to hear about the advancements made regarding stability etc.
Btw, did you ever find a good, reliable source for 060s for the daughterboard?
Old 03 June 2015, 20:41   #88
mikej

I have a way of screening them (zif socket on daughterboard) and reading out the chip ID.
Low yield so far.
/Mike

Old 23 June 2015, 09:03   #89
chaos

For any MiST users here, there is a new release of minimig-AGA v1.0 for the MiST board available.

Grab your copy here:

http://somuch.guru/minimig/minimig-mist/

Enjoy!
Old 24 June 2015, 23:20   #90
Dejavu

Send a message via ICQ to Dejavu
Great news Rok... Thanks.
Old 25 June 2015, 05:30   #91
Dejavu

I installed specified files to the root of sdcard. I also update the firmware with most recent one you provided. I renamed newcpu.rbf to core.rbf. Although this updating process ended without problem but after i got "out of range" error from my lcd. The boot screen, rolling amiga ball with some text can be seen when mist switched on.

I have been using this monitor with beta aga core without any problem.

So what is the issue? Have you got any idea?
Old 25 June 2015, 15:03   #92
gulliver
BoingBagged

I am still looking for an Amiga FPGA solution that provides some form of network conectivity (serial, usb/ethernet, etc). Is the Mist capable of that?
Old 25 June 2015, 21:28   #93
Dejavu

there are some usb ports on it but they don't have support for other than HID hardware.
Old 26 June 2015, 01:10   #94
gulliver
BoingBagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejavu View Post
there are some usb ports on it but they don't have support for other than HID hardware.
What a pitty!

Anyway, I have just read somewhere that it has an Atari midi port (which is an inexpensive optional), I wonder if it could be used as a standard Amiga serial port (when using the Amiga core, of course!). It would solve the conectivy limit these devices have.

Any clue on this?
Old 27 June 2015, 15:04   #95
chaos

MIDI is supported on the current minimig core, together with real Amiga joysticks and mice.

Serial connection is theoretically possible, but the current production boards don't have any external serial ports.

The MiST board already supports USB ethernet adapters with the ST core and there is no reason why the minimig core couldn't support it too, it just needs a driver and some support logic written. All in good time
Old 27 June 2015, 19:51   #96
gulliver
BoingBagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos View Post
MIDI is supported on the current minimig core, together with real Amiga joysticks and mice.

Serial connection is theoretically possible, but the current production boards don't have any external serial ports.

The MiST board already supports USB ethernet adapters with the ST core and there is no reason why the minimig core couldn't support it too, it just needs a driver and some support logic written. All in good time
Interesting...
I will keep an eye on the Mist progress to see when/if USB ethernet on the Amiga gets supported.
Old 29 June 2015, 13:18   #97
chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejavu View Post
I installed specified files to the root of sdcard. I also update the firmware with most recent one you provided. I renamed newcpu.rbf to core.rbf. Although this updating process ended without problem but after i got "out of range" error from my lcd. The boot screen, rolling amiga ball with some text can be seen when mist switched on.

I have been using this monitor with beta aga core without any problem.

So what is the issue? Have you got any idea?
Did you try both cores available - the newcpu and the regular one? Do you have anything in your mist.ini config file? For how long is the boot screen shown? Is the minimig config (CPU, RAM, ...) shown on the bottom of the boot screen? Does the OSD menu still show up if you press F12?
Old 29 June 2015, 21:20   #98
Dejavu

i tried both.
at the end, i found cause of the problem.
in ini file the parameter for scandoublerdisable was 1.
i remember it enables 15kHz output for vga.
so changed to 0 and ta..ta..ta..tam
Old 08 July 2015, 10:14   #99
kolla
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos View Post
Ouch. So what happens when AmigaOS wants to speak with the serial port, for example for ROM-wack/SAD?

The serial port on the Minimig is what makes it so versatile, for null-modem gaming, for terminal use, for PPP, for MIDI... and by flipping a jumper, for programming the Minimig hardware. Really, I took it for granted that MiST has serial port!
Old 08 July 2015, 16:50   #100
chaos

There is a serial port on the MiST board, BUT:
- it is either inside the case, not available as a connector on the case
- or, it is used by the MIDI ports

If you feel like hacking a little bit, you could add a few wires and make a hole in the board, or alternatively, make a MIDI-to-serial adapter (MIDI is of course connected to the minimig serial port).

Another option is to implement some code to handle a USB serial adapter, AFAIK it is already working on the Atari core.