English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.OtherUAE

Old 17 June 2006, 14:31   #1
Mr_Modem
Emulator Lord

WinUAEX with Long Tosec Filenames

I've just bought an xbox chipped with a SmartXX modchip that I'm going to use for some retro gaming. I've installed WinUAEX and everything seems to work fine. But when I try to copy over my disc files using the built-in ftp server I get some kind of transfer error. I figured out that it was the long tosec names that caused it. Does anyone know how to solve the problem? I really don't want to rename all my disks.

And yes I know that the title is misleading but I couldn't come up with anything better.
Old 17 June 2006, 17:18   #2
z00mba

You can use a file renamer to do the task for you when you need to transfert new game. A programm like MFR (Magic File Renamer) will do it quickly when needed.

That's the only idea that comes to mind and it's how I'd do it.
Old 17 June 2006, 17:23   #3
Mr_Modem
Emulator Lord

Thanks for your reply. I've already thought about using some renamer to do the job but it feels stupid that you would have to do that in order to be able to transfer the games. There must be something that causes the problem. Does Xbox use an old filesystem like fat16 or something?
Old 17 June 2006, 17:35   #4
z00mba

That I have no idea, maybe you could find the info on some XBox modding sites. I must admit I'm not using my XBox too much lately. :/

EDIT: Just found this info:

Quote:
Q: Why does transfer fail when try send a file to my Xbox using XBMC's build-in FTP server?

A: Xbox hard drive file-system (FATX) has many limitations that other file-systems do not have: Check the filename, the Xbox's file-system (FAT-X) only supports file/folder-names up to 42 characters, and FAT-X does not either support all ACSII characters in file/folder names, here's some unsupported characters (Note! there are probably many more than these, let us know):
< > = ? : ; " * + , / \ | ¤ &
Tip: There is a software application called "XboxIfy" that will rename files/folders to above limits.
Also a maximum of 255 in character-deept is supported down the file-structure architecture. Plus maximum number of 4096 files/folders in a single subfolder is supported, and in the root of each partition the maximum number of files/folders is 256).
That's a lot of limitations. Why didn't they used FAT32 or NTFS is upon me...

Last edited by z00mba; 17 June 2006 at 17:40.
Old 17 June 2006, 19:28   #5
Mr_Modem
Emulator Lord

Thanks for the info z00mba! Lucky, there are so many people on this forum that knows about stuff like this. I guess I should've searched a little bit more myself before asking though. Then I wouldn't have to bother you.

It's a pity that there are so many restrictions in the Xbox filesystem. Damn you Microsoft. I really like to have my disks ordered and named using tosec. Aww well, you can't have everything. Anyway, thanks for the replies guys!
Old 17 June 2006, 22:32   #6
whiteb
Fanatically Amiga.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Modem
I've just bought an xbox chipped with a SmartXX modchip that I'm going to use for some retro gaming. I've installed WinUAEX and everything seems to work fine. But when I try to copy over my disc files using the built-in ftp server I get some kind of transfer error. I figured out that it was the long tosec names that caused it. Does anyone know how to solve the problem? I really don't want to rename all my disks.
XBFS (Xbox file system) only handles 42 characters in a file name (this is on my Xbox V1)

Nothing you can do except rename.
Old 23 June 2006, 01:11   #7
NoX1911

You can burn UDF DVDs if u like or try to find some renamer tools that especially take care about fatx and rename tosec compilations properly. Look out at the usual places.
Old 23 June 2006, 11:06   #8
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

I personally use an ftp client on the PC side and the XBMC ftp server on the xbox, this has an auto renamer that renames files to fit with the xbox's filesystem while transferring.

It works when copying files across but folders have a bit of trouble if they contain files. Just create the folder manually then copy all the necessary files across. Works a treat!