English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 31 August 2017, 03:59   #181
TuRRIcaNEd
AKA Mr. Rhythm Master/AIS

Hi all, thanks for the replies so far...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiya View Post
this is an Amiga Remake (require much fast CPU, at least Vampire Card or WinUAE + JIT)
That's not the Amiga port - that's the original Cannonball Engine. The Amiga Vampire/RTG Cannonball port tends to slow down with high object count, has the backgrounds turned off and (currently) uses a set of demoscene MOD files to replace the music:
[ Show youtube player ]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
The Sega Saturn port (Sega Ages Compilation) was the first version with a hidden real 60fps support option. It's as smooth as the Cannonball Mod. The orginal Arcade version runs indeed with 30fps only (internal engine).
Yup, that's what I said above too!

Cannonball also fixes quite a few bugs in the original code - including the hardware limitation on sprite count. You can see it sometimes in the Gateway level where only half of the cross-pillars are sometimes displayed (with the original hardware, if the logic tries to draw more sprites than it can handle, some are simply not drawn).

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
One question, do you have access to the outrun assets or know how to extract them ?

I know how to get all the sprites and gfx objects out of the arcade roms

Just bump me if you need my help
Thank you! As you can see from the DPaint grabs I've been using the S16 Sprite Viewer utility written by the Cannonball guy to extract the graphics I have so far - I don't think the version available gets all of them though, so if you want to PM me the method you have in mind, please do.

Also - I'd really appreciate some feedback on the MOD conversion I've been working on if folks have time to listen : http://psychodelicacy.net/modplayer.php

[click '[load song]' to access the different tunes ]

Here's a very rough YT vid of a test run using the PC Cannonball engine with my ProTracker version of "Magical Sound Shower" as the music :
[ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by TuRRIcaNEd; 31 August 2017 at 04:39.
Old 31 August 2017, 08:53   #182
jotd
This cat is no more

> I'd really appreciate some feedback on the MOD conversion I've been working on if folks have time to listen

From first seconds of MSS I can say it's VERY GOOD.
Old 31 August 2017, 09:04   #183
TuRRIcaNEd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
From first seconds of MSS I can say it's VERY GOOD.
Aww, thanks... But check the rest before you make a final judgement!

Strictly speaking it's possible to drop my MODs into the Amiga Cannonball port, however the player routine it's using at the moment kills channel 2 of the music for sound effects. I'm hoping we can work together on replacing it with a better, more dynamic replay routine.
Old 31 August 2017, 15:01   #184
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Yes those mods are absolutely excellent in term of quality

Really awesome !
Old 31 August 2017, 15:22   #185
Amiga1992

Excellent music TuRRIcaNEd!!!
About Cannonball muting channel 2... one would think that when having a Vampire on board, you could use AHI for sound reproduction, and then you can have an extra channel or two just for the FX...
Old 31 August 2017, 21:24   #186
jotd
This cat is no more

What about a "music or sfx" menu?

Naaaaaaaah

Ok now I have listened to it almost to the end. Very good work.

Some notes are slightly off in the central steel drum solo during Holland, and also off beat, but I notice it because I have listened to the original a zillion times already. Maybe I could help you fix some parts. Easier than all you already done that is for sure.

Last edited by jotd; 31 August 2017 at 22:47.
Old 31 August 2017, 22:11   #187
TuRRIcaNEd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
What about a "music or sfx" menu?
Amiga Cannonball isn't my project - it belongs to ModernVintageGamer. I'm hoping he and I can work together on sorting the music out though

The project I'm trying to kick off would be an entirely new piece of code based on techniques from the better Amiga driving titles, plus trying to squeeze as many colours as we can out of it without slowing down too much.

Quote:
Some notes are slightly off in the central steel drum solo during Holland, and also off beat, but I notice it bedause I have listened to the original a zillion times already
Hehehe - that's why it's a beta version (0.94) - some of the drums need tidying up too. I will get around to tweaking it as closely as I can, but that "steel drum wigout" part in particular is really difficult to transcribe, even if you have another version to guide you!
Old 01 September 2017, 01:01   #188
S0ulA55a551n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiya View Post
this is an Amiga Remake (require much fast CPU, at least Vampire Card or WinUAE + JIT)
it's an engine that use original mame files
[ Show youtube player ]

Engine that uses mame files ? So not just a mame. Port then ???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01 September 2017, 09:34   #189
TuRRIcaNEd

Quote:
Originally Posted by S0ulA55a551n View Post
Engine that uses mame files ?
The Cannonball Engine is a portable (as in uses SDL) C++ rewrite of the OutRun arcade program. It uses arcade ROM files (as does MAME), but it doesn't use anything from MAME itself. That said, some source code comments refer to using MAME as a guide...
Old 01 September 2017, 11:59   #190
Dunny

Cannonball is a re-implementation of the game logic, not an emulation. It uses the ROMs to extract the levels/graphics/sound resources.
Old 01 September 2017, 17:04   #191
S0ulA55a551n

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuRRIcaNEd View Post
The Cannonball Engine is a portable (as in uses SDL) C++ rewrite of the OutRun arcade program. It uses arcade ROM files (as does MAME), but it doesn't use anything from MAME itself. That said, some source code comments refer to using MAME as a guide...

Ahhh got you just getting the assests from
The Roms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 22 September 2017, 07:25   #192
ReadOnlyCat
Code Kitten

Hello kittens,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
I think A500 would be masochism, I would be happy to get a decent Outrun-like game for stock A1200/CD32 to be honest.
The A500 can get a decent approximation and I will eventually prove it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthey View Post
68020+AGA/RTG is a more realistic target.
Realistic sure, but which leaves most Amiga owners (A500s) without OutRun.
And moreover, the point of the exercise here as Akira mentioned is to target stock hardware, not more powerful hardware that everybody knows can do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
I don't understand why it's so hard to make a good port. Another sega arcade port, super hang on, is well done. Good frame rate . What's so different?
Super Hang On is a disaster which runs at 15 FPS at best, has horrible controls, jerky motions for opponents, average music and does not play at all like the arcade.
We certainly would not want this as a target.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuRRIcaNEd View Post
Getting back to the subject though ( ) the "spec" for DAOP as I see it right now is somewhat like this:
  • I intend to start with a simple snapshot of an AGA-based machine for the initial work. This is partially down to my "virtual" dev environment being A1200-based
Great. My plan was to write an A500 version so we will not compete.
However I plan to contact SEGA for an official license and will not do anything if they are opposed to it.
Old 22 September 2017, 08:17   #193
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadOnlyCat View Post
However I plan to contact SEGA for an official license and will not do anything if they are opposed to it.
Maybe you should ask the people that wrote Space Harrier for Atari XL what they did about licensing - btw i can help both in graphic and music if needed
Old 22 September 2017, 13:50   #194
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Super Hang On is a disaster which runs at 15 FPS at best, has horrible controls, jerky motions for opponents, average music and does not play at all like the arcade.
We certainly would not want this as a target.
Well, i hope your A500 Outrun will be that good. Because nothing about Super Hang On you just said is actually true.
Old 22 September 2017, 14:21   #195
Retro1234
Phone Homer

MY Outrun port will be for 68010 only, so no competition to anyone else but I will contact Nintendo first to make sure they don't object to me contacting Sega and with this action putting Nintendo out of business. First I must contact Donald Trump and make sure it is ok to contact Kim Jong Um about using nuclear technology on my port, Thank you sir.
Old 22 September 2017, 16:05   #196
Dunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
Well, i hope your A500 Outrun will be that good. Because nothing about Super Hang On you just said is actually true.
SHO was the first ever amiga game I saw after moving up from the Speccy, and it indeed is a thing of beauty.
Old 22 September 2017, 18:02   #197
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
SHO was the first ever amiga game I saw after moving up from the Speccy, and it indeed is a thing of beauty.
But it's an ST port. The graphics could be way way better than that.

16 colors from the ST palette, yuk !
Old 22 September 2017, 18:19   #198
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

@dfrsilver

Relative at the time it came out was a ray of hope, though; same year the very disappointing Outrun, bionic commando and Rolling thunder ports were making me think if Amiga ever would be considered commercially worthy of a decent port...

..then came Lotus to show the way
Old 23 September 2017, 00:46   #199
Dunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
But it's an ST port. The graphics could be way way better than that.

16 colors from the ST palette, yuk !
You know, you keep saying that but I don't recall seeing any games you wrote that took advantage of the enhanced miggy hardware...

But anyway. Graphics do not a game make - look at all those thousands of games that were better on the Speccy as opposed to the CPC - despite having demonstrably worse graphics...
Old 23 September 2017, 03:18   #200
idrougge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadOnlyCat View Post
In other words, your plan is to do nothing.

Ah, Retro1234 said it already, but much better:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro1234 View Post
MY Outrun port will be for 68010 only, so no competition to anyone else but I will contact Nintendo first to make sure they don't object to me contacting Sega and with this action putting Nintendo out of business. First I must contact Donald Trump and make sure it is ok to contact Kim Jong Um about using nuclear technology on my port, Thank you sir.