English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.UAE Wishlist

Old 15 September 2005, 08:56   #1
Chuckles
The Ancient One

A couple of suggestions for changes

I've thought of 2 suggestions to make for minor enhancements to WinUAE. Neither of them is a particularly urgent need, but it seems to me that they might make the GUI just a bit more pleasant to work with for many of us.

First, though I love the diskswapper, it seems to me that if you're using a config with more than one drive, ejecting a disk requires more "clicks" than it should. Would it be possible to add a bit of code to the diskswapper panel that would interpret a right mouse click in the "Drive" column as a request to eject that disk? That would allow any disk to be ejected with only one click.

Second, when I press F12 to bring up the GUI, it is almost always for the purpose of going to the diskswapper panel, but the default panel that comes up is always the configurations panel the first time you press F12. After bringing up the GUI the first time, F12 then always returns you to the last panel you were on, which makes perfect sense. But for someone like me who has a very large number of config files, the delay involved in bringing up the configuration tab that first time as it loads the list of configs gets annoying. I know a few people have suggested in the past that the default panel for that first F12 be changed to something else, but I'm not sure everyone agreed what it should be changed to, or how to go about letting each user decide what the default should be for them. Would it be possible to add a bit of code to handle a right click on any of the panels listed under "Settings" on the left side of the GUI by popping up a menu with a "Make this panel the default" option that you could select. A registry entry could then be used to keep track of which panel the user has set to be the default, and that could determine what happens the first time F12 is pressed. Changing the default panel then would be very simple to do anytime that a user might feel the need.

Just a few suggestions, so obviously take them for whatever you think they're worth.
Old 15 September 2005, 18:49   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckles
Would it be possible to add a bit of code to the diskswapper panel that would interpret a right mouse click in the "Drive" column as a request to eject that disk? That would allow any disk to be ejected with only one click.
Single right click in "Drive"-column = remove disk
Double right click in "Disk image"-column = remove image

Ok?

Quote:
Second, when I press F12 to bring
I will think about this later
Old 15 September 2005, 19:45   #3
Chuckles
The Ancient One

I hadn't thought about a right click in the disk image column as a quick way to remove the image, though it sounds like a good idea. Since there would no longer be an image there, I'd assume that it would also clear the "Drive" column too, not that it would really matter. A double right-click though? Is there any reason why it wouldn't be just a single right-click? Unless that already does something else, it seems like it might be better to use the same action for both columns just for consistency.

As for the second suggestion, so long as you think about it, that's all I can ask. I've seen suggestions from some people for things like assigning a hotkey to bring up the diskswapper, but I can certainly understand why that might not be such a good idea. Being able to define your own default panel seemed like it might be a pretty painless alternative, which would have the side benefit of providing a way to avoid the delay due to loading up the config list on the first F12, and knowing that the GUI remembers what panel you were on from that point forward just seemed like it would involve minimal coding to implement. There could always be some good reason why doing this might not be such a keen idea, but at the moment I'm unable to think of one.
Old 15 September 2005, 20:08   #4
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Double left click in "Disk Image"-column = ask for new image. Double right click = remove.

Single left click in "Drive"-column = change drive, single right click = remove disk in drive.

I think this is perfectly logical..
Old 15 September 2005, 20:51   #5
Chuckles
The Ancient One

You're right, that does sound perfectly logical when you lay it out that way. That sounds perfect.