English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 23 January 2012, 17:22   #2661
StarEye
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Been playing Assassin's Creed 2. Like expected even better than the first game, with a more continuous story oriented approach and Prince of Persia acrobatics sequences. Even found secret rooms, which I approve of a lot. And finally a lot more crud to collect and this time it actually all has a purpose, for those who like that kind of thing. But like any decently designed game, that aspect is mostly optional.
Assassin's Creed 2 is the beginning of a trilogy that follows Ezio's life as an Assassin. I just recently finished Brotherhood, which I found the best game in the series so far, gameplay-wise. Haven't bought Revelation yet, but I believe it's the last in the Ezio-trilogy.
Old 24 January 2012, 12:19   #2662
Muzkat
Into the Wonderful

I'm nearing the end of The Witcher, and I'm abit disappointed.

Sure, the graphics are gorgeous, and the soundtrack is truly stirring, but apart from that, the game feels alittle empty. Just a pastiche of fetch quests and lots of running around levels collecting items for said quests. I know this is a standard part of almost any RPG, but this game takes it too far, and it all quickly becomes tedious.

I was looking forward to making choices that were morally ambiguous rather than black and white, as this was a major selling point for the game. But honestly, so far I haven't found them. Like other RPGs, the game lets you follow a good path and a not so good path. You do have to decide whether you ally yourself with the humans, non-humans or remain neutral, but I found that this was more a choice of preference rather than anything else. To be honest, the only morally ambiguous decision that I have encountered so far is deciding which girlfriend to choose when two women are fighting over you - hardly anything earth-shattering now is it?

It's a decent RPG, with some nice touches here and there, but it's also somewhat overrated.
Old 24 January 2012, 12:35   #2663
s2325
Zone Friend

You can try book 'Witcher' but please avoid the movie.
Old 24 January 2012, 12:58   #2664
deicidal
Registered Insane

Started playing Rage the other night, so good so far
Old 24 January 2012, 13:38   #2665
StarEye
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzkat View Post
I'm nearing the end of The Witcher, and I'm abit disappointed.

Sure, the graphics are gorgeous, and the soundtrack is truly stirring, but apart from that, the game feels alittle empty. Just a pastiche of fetch quests and lots of running around levels collecting items for said quests. I know this is a standard part of almost any RPG, but this game takes it too far, and it all quickly becomes tedious.

I was looking forward to making choices that were morally ambiguous rather than black and white, as this was a major selling point for the game. But honestly, so far I haven't found them. Like other RPGs, the game lets you follow a good path and a not so good path. You do have to decide whether you ally yourself with the humans, non-humans or remain neutral, but I found that this was more a choice of preference rather than anything else. To be honest, the only morally ambiguous decision that I have encountered so far is deciding which girlfriend to choose when two women are fighting over you - hardly anything earth-shattering now is it?

It's a decent RPG, with some nice touches here and there, but it's also somewhat overrated.
I can't really remember any black and white choices in that game, to be honest. Who you ally with is of course a preference, but that is also a choice, and a moral one at that. Who you ally with is not so black and white either, because none of the sides are pure good or pure evil. I didn't want to be part of attacking innocent people, so I didn't go with the elves/non-humans. But I also don't like the way the humans treated other races.

It's not a good vs bad path, because all of the decisions you choose doesn't really make you a good or bad person. That's what I liked about this game. The choices mattered to some degree, while at the same time, it's not like you're forced to play through a good build or an evil build to fill up a stupid "alignment meter" like in the Bioware games. I want to make decisions based on what I feel is right, not what the game tells me is a good or evil decision. This is where The Witcher excelled.

The quests, however, are much improved in the sequel. Not many fetch quests at all, even though they make sense in The Witcher, because, after all, that's what a witcher does. Hunt monsters for payment.
Old 29 January 2012, 22:10   #2666
s2325
Zone Friend

Few DOS games on old 200MHz laptop with Windows 98:
Swiv 3D - boring, it should not be titled Swiv, it's more like Desert Strike
Rally Championship - very playable for such old racing game
Albion - amazing graphics and atmosphere
Swirus - good point & click adventure with Amiga-like graphics
Old 29 January 2012, 23:58   #2667
Peter
Still an Amiga user

Finally finished Resident Evil 5 on the XBOX 360

An OK game - some really good bits here and there but overall not as good as ResEvil 4, Sheva was just a pain in the behind to play on-screen with - it would obviously work really well in co-op but having the two characters on screen in the single player game didn't do it for me... even though she got me out of trouble loads of times she uses up loads of ammo! Also you cant carry enough stuff and the swapping stuff to and fro between the characters just becomes a pain after a while. Another thing that annoyed me was the fact that you obviously need to play it through more than once to stand any chance of upgrading more than a couple of weapons.

Does anyone actually understand the Resident Evil story at the moment...? It has more twists, turns and re-use of old characters than a cheap TV Soap Opera.
Old 30 January 2012, 02:40   #2668
NovaCoder

Gears 3
Old 30 January 2012, 17:24   #2669
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
Does anyone actually understand the Resident Evil story at the moment...? It has more twists, turns and re-use of old characters than a cheap TV Soap Opera.
Not to mention the addition of anime films to the mix.
Old 03 February 2012, 10:46   #2670
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

FEAR 3. I'm enjoying it a lot so far. It looks very slick, it is a bit more freaky than the second game and the game poses a fair challenge. This time around less Alma but more "something even more sinister" that dogs you. There are moments where I could cut the tension with a knife I can tell you.

And even though the nowadays mandatory 'cover based combat' has been added the game isn't driven by it, you need it only in certain dangerous situations. In all other cases the wonderful reflex mode still does the job. It does have auto-heal though, which sucks
Old 03 February 2012, 11:58   #2671
seuden
uber cool demi god

Civ 2
Old 03 February 2012, 13:50   #2672
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by seuden View Post
Civ 2
Is it any good? I've played Civ 5 for a while but I was not too impressed with it in the end. It starts very strong but as soon as you hit the modern age everything you do is almost for nothing. Either you have already beaten your enemies into a pulp or they are too weak to do anything at all because they started in a bad position :/
Old 03 February 2012, 14:44   #2673
seuden
uber cool demi god

Quote:
Is it any good?
It's the best Civ imho. Certainly worth a try.

I'd recommend getting this too as it opens it up a little more.
Old 03 February 2012, 15:06   #2674
AmigaFriend

After having it for more than a year now, I started finally to play Fallout New Vegas. So far not as much interesting has was Fallout 3, story a bit weak in my opinion. I've just entered New Vegas to search for the Platinum chip. I hope it can be a bit more interesting from now on.

Also I'm replaying Burnout Ultimate Carnage for the 3rd time. I find it always a very fine game for fun and taking the stress out of me.

Recently bought Formula 1 2011 which is a very fine F1 simulation game which is approaching the level of simulation that Geoff Crammond F1GP's had till 10 years ago.

All PC versions.
Old 03 February 2012, 19:46   #2675
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpect View Post
After having it for more than a year now, I started finally to play Fallout New Vegas. So far not as much interesting has was Fallout 3, story a bit weak in my opinion. I've just entered New Vegas to search for the Platinum chip. I hope it can be a bit more interesting from now on.
Depends on how you play it out really PLenty of choices to make; some are interesting, others not so much. I went with the NCR; not so interesting a choice IMO.
Old 03 February 2012, 23:14   #2676
quahappy
Born again WinUAE user

Been checking out some classic Amiga Gremlin Graphics games earlier:

Deflector
Disposable Hero
Lotus Esprit Turbo Challenge 2

... and since I'm big on emulating just about every console/computer in existance (where possible), I've finally got the Sega Saturn emulator (SSF) to work. So have been alternating between Hyper 3D Pinball, Nights into Dreams and Sega Rally Championship.

And now I'm about to play Saints Row 3 (xbox360).
Old 04 February 2012, 00:53   #2677
AmigaFriend

Quote:
Depends on how you play it out really PLenty of choices to make; some are interesting, others not so much. I went with the NCR; not so interesting a choice IMO.
Yeah the game really kicks off once you enter Vegas, is turning to be a bit better now.
Old 07 February 2012, 00:26   #2678
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpect View Post
Yeah the game really kicks off once you enter Vegas, is turning to be a bit better now.
I think Fallout NV is brilliant, more so than Fallout 3 which i also enjoyed! I've played through them all and rate Fallout 2 as being my favourite so far

I'm still trudging through Skyrim on the PS3 at the moment... I would have got it for the PC but a friend offered me the PS3 version at a very good price
Old 07 February 2012, 12:11   #2679
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPie5000 View Post
I've played through them all and rate Fallout 2 as being my favourite so far
A man with taste There is just something liberating about a game in which you can be a gravedigger, a child killer, a slaver, a star and a kamasutra expert and still end up the "savior of the wasteland".

One of the reasons I like Fallout: New Vegas more than Fallout 3 is that it actually feels like a continuation of Fallout 2; but a more conservative approach of course. The story actually reaches back to events taking place in F2. Too bad it is usually referred to as being "safe" after what the vault dweller's family line did, like the area is now a haven to live in. That basically takes away any reason for future games to revisit the old areas
Old 07 February 2012, 17:18   #2680
Anna

Currently playing Asphalt 6 on the Xperia Play, I'm up to about 80% completed now, and now (finally) the tracks are getting tough! Fun though!