English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 15 October 2019, 15:27   #1
Hatt

Amibian Raspberry PI issues/questions

Hi first post. Hopefully you guys can help with some answers. And apologies if this has been asked before. And also apologies for the long intro

So instead of using my A600, I thought I'd give emulation ago. I used WinUAE years ago (version 1.2 I think). And recently stumbled across a YouTube video of someone using a Raspberry PI. Which I found appealing.

So I bought a PI 3b+ and 16GB micro SD card.

While waiting for this to turn up in the post I installed WinUAE 4.2 on my Windows machine and had a mess about with it.

I basically followed this YouTube tutorial:
[ Show youtube player ]

And created an A4000 on WinUAE running OS 3.9 with all the boing bags and a UAE Zorro II graphics card allowing up to 1920 x 1080 32 bit colour and a 2GB HDD.

All worked fine.

So my Raspberry PI turned up, so I downloaded the latest Amibian version and imaged the card. And got it up and running. And this is where my questions start.

The UAE in Amibian seems less rich than that of WinUAE and is missing many left hand menu options.

- Is this normal/correct?

For instance there is no Hardware --> RTG board option.

There is also no Turbo mode for the floppy drive.

Is it possible to get the UAE Zorro II on the Raspberry PI?

Lastly I'm also having issues creating a Hardfile on the Raspberry PI. Or more specifically adding the HDD in AmigaOS.

The Amibian UAE Add Hardfile option lacks some of the UI as WinUAE such as the button Full drive/RDB mode. Not sure if this makes any difference or not. But when I add a Hardfile in the same way, following these instructions here:

[ Show youtube player ]

Clicking the Read Configuration button on the Amiga results in an

"Drive does not support the SCSI inquiry command"

Any idea what I need to do in order to get around this?

Thanks for your help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RTG.png
Views:	205
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	64775   Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-10-15 14_17_51-[A4000] - WinUAE Properties.png
Views:	190
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	64776  
Old 16 October 2019, 08:09   #2
quantum8

What are you trying to achieve? A fully emulated amiga experience, or just the games?

Personally, I use retropie with amiberry installed and launch games directly from lha. A full install of workbench is no longer needed for whdload games.

As for configuration, the options are there but not much advanced stuff can be configured with the GUI. Most options from winuae can be used, so you should be able to create a uae file on windows and use that.

You may need to play around with the hard disk type option in the config file: hard_drive_0_type = RDB (or similar, I can't remember the exact syntax right now).

Alternatively, you can just use a folder as the hard drive instead of a file type of a hard disk and not have to mess around with changing types of drives.
Old 16 October 2019, 10:26   #3
Hatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by quantum8 View Post
What are you trying to achieve? A fully emulated amiga experience, or just the games?
I don't really have a specific agenda, just playing about more than anything. Can always run games by just clicking on the adf file in UAE. It was more the fact it worked in WinUAE, but not in Amibian.

Quote:
Personally, I use retropie with amiberry installed and launch games directly from lha. A full install of workbench is no longer needed for whdload games.
Thanks, will take a look at this.

Quote:
As for configuration, the options are there but not much advanced stuff can be configured with the GUI. Most options from winuae can be used, so you should be able to create a uae file on windows and use that.
I did wonder if this was the route, guess I could even copy the hdf file over too? Shame the GUI options are missing on Amibian though. Just makes it clunky and hard work. To the point I might as well use Windows and not bother with the Raspberry PI

Quote:
You may need to play around with the hard disk type option in the config file: hard_drive_0_type = RDB (or similar, I can't remember the exact syntax right now).
Thanks. Not 100% sure how to do this. I tried changing the option in the UAE GUI for UAEHF and IDE. But when set to IDE I couldn't see it in the Amiga. Only when set to uaehf.

Although thinking on it, I did change the line on HDToolsBox from

SCSI_DEVICE_NAME=scsi.device

to

SCSI_DEVICE_NAME=uaehf.device

As this worked on Windows, but seems to give the error I reported on Amibian.
Old 16 October 2019, 11:57   #4
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Assuming it uses normal UAE config files, try setting all geometry values to zero manually. It should enable rdb mode (if it is supported).

hardfile2=rw,<device>:<path>,0,0,0,512
Old 16 October 2019, 16:38   #5
Hatt

Quote:
Do you know of any guides/tutorials on setting this up? Found the Retopie site and will try it out tomorrow. And watched a vid on Amiberry, which looks pretty simple, although it still seems to be WinUAE in the background. Didn't find anything using whdload as well though.

Thanks.
Old 16 October 2019, 23:57   #6
quantum8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatt View Post
Do you know of any guides/tutorials on setting this up? Found the Retopie site and will try it out tomorrow. And watched a vid on Amiberry, which looks pretty simple, although it still seems to be WinUAE in the background. Didn't find anything using whdload as well though.

Thanks.
Amiberry is indeed a fork of win-uae so it's very similar, but compiled and optimised for ARM devices instead of intel x86.

Once you have retropie set up, follow the guide on the amiberry github page, it should be fairly straightforward:

https://github.com/midwan/amiberry/w...tion-and-Setup