Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General

Old 16 June 2017, 18:58   #1861
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Burton View Post
I already know that.

I was refering to the mountain (and the lake) tiles in the first level. Replacing the mountains with the (eventually color reduced) originals ones would make Rygar conversion really faithful to the arcade original...
Attachment 53456
Well maybe Invent can tell us about that ?
Old 16 June 2017, 20:15   #1862
sandruzzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Burton View Post
I already know that.

I was refering to the mountain (and the lake) tiles in the first level. Replacing the mountains with the (eventually color reduced) originals ones would make Rygar conversion really faithful to the arcade original...
Attachment 53456
We had to do that, because parallax layer is made by HW sprites! Not bad our result!

Our results in my humble opinion is better!
Old 17 June 2017, 07:29   #1863
chb

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandruzzo View Post
We had to do that, because parallax layer is made by HW sprites! Not bad our result!

Our results in my humble opinion is better!
Yep, the mountains look better (albeit they are not original), but I think you should mention at some point that they are ripped from the first level of Kid Chaos, and give Andrew Morris/Magnetic Fields some credit...
Old 17 June 2017, 07:36   #1864
sandruzzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by chb View Post
Yep, the mountains look better (albeit they are not original), but I think you should mention at some point that they are ripped from the first level of Kid Chaos, and give Andrew Morris/Magnetic Fields some credit...
I dont' know were it came from! But it look great!
Old 17 June 2017, 07:36   #1865
sandruzzo

In order to use interleved blit we have to have 1mb of chip mem
Old 17 June 2017, 08:58   #1866
LeCaravage

1Mb Chip ? Gonna not work on my Amiga 500 OCS
Old 17 June 2017, 10:28   #1867
sandruzzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeCaravage View Post
not possible to have interleaved gfx with 512k
Old 17 June 2017, 12:22   #1868
sandruzzo

Interleaved on with scrolling. Now objects blitting
Old 17 June 2017, 18:29   #1869
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeCaravage View Post
Man, come on, 1MB is the standard for years.
Old 17 June 2017, 20:50   #1870
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Man, come on, 1MB is the standard for years.
...well it depends; are we talking "1MB Chip" or "512KB Chip & 512KB Slow".

If the latter then I agree
Old 18 June 2017, 00:23   #1871
sandruzzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
...well it depends; are we talking "1MB Chip" or "512KB Chip & 512KB Slow".

If the latter then I agree
1mb chip mem
Old 18 June 2017, 01:55   #1872
alpine9000

Quote:
1mb chip mem
Yes - would not be able to have lots of bob graphics if you are doing triple buffering with full interleaved blits with 6 bit planes in 512kb. Those masks really chew up the chip ram.

I think 1mb chip is perfectly reasonable for 64 colours,
Old 18 June 2017, 02:53   #1873
idrougge

Maybe, but by then you're no longer in a position to lay judgment on those who ported games in the 80s/90s.
Old 18 June 2017, 10:01   #1874
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge View Post
Maybe, but by then you're no longer in a position to lay judgment on those who ported games in the 80s/90s.
There was no halfbright 64 colors scrolling games back in the days. It was considered as being too slow.
Old 18 June 2017, 12:46   #1875
sandruzzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
There was no halfbright 64 colors scrolling games back in the days. It was considered as being too slow.
It's Amiga Magic! After 30 years, It is able to show us How powerfull is it!
Old 18 June 2017, 13:06   #1876
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
You're missing his point.

Part of the reason for Sandruzzo doing this conversion is to show that the Amiga can do a decent version of some of the arcade games that appeared on the Amiga, and not the crap we did get.

However, what Idrougge is saying is that if you now make the conversion 1meg chip ram only, you've now raised the basic requirements of the hardware to ABOVE what was available to people doing the conversions back in the 1980's.

If this Rygar conversion is Sandruzzos statement of saying "there Tiertex, thats how a conversion is done", then thats great.

however, if you've raised the hardware level to 1meg chip ram which wasn't available in commercially sensible enough numbers to require it in the late 80's, then you're already at an advantage over Tiertex!

If Sandruzzo REALLY wanted to prove a point, Rygar would be a 512k game just like Tiertex and all the others had to cope with, if he can't do it in 512K, then it goes that criticising others for not being able to do it either in 512K shows that they did what they could with the hardware available.

I'm not defending Tiertex, my opinion of them is well known, but with 1meg of chip ram, you're already programming on hardware that exceeds what was available to most developers.
Old 18 June 2017, 14:49   #1877
sandruzzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post

Part of the reason for Sandruzzo doing this conversion is to show that the Amiga can do a decent version of some of the arcade games that appeared on the Amiga, and not the crap we did get.

However, what Idrougge is saying is that if you now make the conversion 1meg chip ram only, you've now raised the basic requirements of the hardware to ABOVE what was available to people doing the conversions back in the 1980's.

If this Rygar conversion is Sandruzzos statement of saying "there Tiertex, thats how a conversion is done", then thats great.

however, if you've raised the hardware level to 1meg chip ram which wasn't available in commercially sensible enough numbers to require it in the late 80's, then you're already at an advantage over Tiertex!

If Sandruzzo REALLY wanted to prove a point, Rygar would be a 512k game just like Tiertex and all the others had to cope with, if he can't do it in 512K, then it goes that criticising others for not being able to do it either in 512K shows that they did what they could with the hardware available.

I'm not defending Tiertex, my opinion of them is well known, but with 1meg of chip ram, you're already programming on hardware that exceeds what was available to most developers.
I'm not against this on that. What it has been done it's done. We're here to have fun, and do our best. I don't think that 1mb chip is a great requirment. Maybe I'kk found that 1mb isn't necessary to do 64 colors conversion...
Old 18 June 2017, 16:18   #1878
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post

codetapper statement was :

I'm really curious to know what approach you personally would take if you had to convert this game to the Amiga! eg:

1) Would you go for 32 colours/half-brite/dual playfield mode?
2) What memory requirements do you think you could achieve?
3) What would you use the 8 sprites for?
4) Would you drop the parallax layer or make it smaller?
5) Do you think you could make a version of the game running at 50 frames per second or you'd go for 25 (or perhaps 25 for updating everything but smooth scrolling the screen at 50fps to fake it)
6) How would you handle the water animation? Would you use colour cycling?
7) Would you double, triple or even single buffer the screen?

512kb is not enough to make halfbright games. You need 1mb at least to make 64 colors games.

To key to these games is mostly having enough memory in fact.

Anima showed with Ghouls'n'Ghosts on Atari STE that the CPU is not the key, but the actual ram available.

Even in 16 colors, GNG requires at least 4mb of ram !

Quote:
Well true. 1mb became the main standard in 1991, with Alien Breed release.
From then on, the publishers went doing 1mb games.

Quote:
Tiertex = all done with the 68000 + 16 colors only (even Mercs had been thought to be ported to the Atari ST).

For the moment, What Sandruzzo is doing is so many times above anything we had back in the day.....

It also shows that sharing the same cpu confirms that it's not enough to make a good port.

Quote:
His choice comes from the use of the 64 colors in halfbright. That's clever, because until now, all the amiga coders just bragged how impossible it was to make fast scrolling games on the A500 in 64 colors because 6 BPL is just too slow.

Sandruzzo just show how wrong they were !

Quote:
There has never been a limitation from the start about the ram required to run Rygar.

this was not the feature posed by Codetapper when he opened this thread.
Old 18 June 2017, 16:34   #1879
sandruzzo

@dlfrsilver

It's not how I'm able to programm with Amiga, but How wonderfull all of us are Able! This Rygar it's only possible because of you, Codetapper, Trachu, Invent, Simone, and all thta are helping with testing and support.
Old 18 June 2017, 17:01   #1880
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Quote:
@dlfrsilver

It's not how I'm able to programm with Amiga, but How wonderfull all of us are Able! This Rygar it's only possible because of you, Codetapper, Trachu, Invent, Simone, and all thta are helping with testing and support.
It was the first time for me

Well once Rygar is completed, it would be cool to try to port a game like Shinobi for example, or a capcom CPS game on A1200