English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 23 July 2018, 19:14   #1
Sato

'Another World' freezing on code wheel screen (A500). Drive light stays active.

I have an Amiga A500. I bought it used and replaced the floppy drive as the one it came with wasn't working. I don't have any memory expansions or anything.

I tried to boot the game 'Another World' (also known as Out of this World in some areas). It gets to a screen which looks like this, but then it completely freezes.

During this time, the DRIVE light on the system stays on, no flickering or anything. I can change the video mode with F1 - F4 so I know the system hasn't completely frozen, but none of the other keys are responsive (the arrow keys are supposed to be used to select each icon, but they don't work). I also tried the game out in WinUAE to see if it was supposed to be loading something during this time (explaining the drive light staying on), but that turned out not to be the case.

Is it possible it's something wrong with either the drive or the game? I'm really not sure how I can further diagnore what's wrong... I'm new to Amiga stuff generally, so would appreciate any help

Old 23 July 2018, 19:22   #2
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

You have to use the joystick (in port 2) to enter the code.
Old 23 July 2018, 19:46   #3
Sato

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
You have to use the joystick (in port 2) to enter the code.

Good lord, it was that simple! It's been more than a year since I first had this problem and I didn't even know.

Thank you so much. Is it standard for Port 2 to be used for game joysticks then? I didn't think this game actually *needed* anything besides the keyboard so it's a little odd to me that I had to plug something in (the mouse works on the code input screen luckily).

Thanks again!

Old 23 July 2018, 19:55   #4
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sato View Post
Is it standard for Port 2 to be used for game joysticks then?

Most games use the joystick in port 2 but there are, as always, exceptions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sato View Post
I didn't think this game actually *needed* anything besides the keyboard so it's a little odd to me that I had to plug something in (the mouse works on the code input screen luckily).

You have to use the joystick to control the protagonist in the game.

Quote:

Thanks again!

You're very welcome.
Old 23 July 2018, 20:49   #5
Sato

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
You have to use the joystick to control the protagonist in the game.

I see that now. It's strange to me that they don't allow you to use arrow keys or even the numpad (the manual even shows that the Macintosh version is compatible with both). I suppose that's just how it is though.