Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 24 July 2002, 00:59   #1
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
"Maddog Williams" level 3 game error

Hi,

I'm stuck!
And I don't think that it's my fault. I mean, a mistake I made in the game before. The following scenario is definitely *not* supposed to happen in that manner!

Before stepping into the entrance introducing Chapter 3, there seems to be a big bug in the game.
It might as well be an incorrectly cracked game.

After going north in the game saved under CAVERN2, you're DEAD! Usually, it should be reducible to a certain mistake YOU made in the game before! But look at the scenery: it's plain ground, and the chasm is far away!
Anyway, you're dragged into "the pit" (that doesn't exist where you're standing at) and DEAD!
But you MUST go to the north, for after taking the book from the skeleton there's no other way to advance in the game but to the north.
I pulled myself together, and played again (!) up to this point using an "official" walkthrough from the net, and same thing.

An emulator bug? Less likely, but keep that eventuality in mind in case any other one doesn't apply, too.
My actual suspicion is that it's a "cracking bug".
Please test the save disk on REAL Amigas if I don't demand too much of you. It might work there.
Save-disk is in the zone.

Last edited by andreas; 24 July 2002 at 01:13.
Old 25 July 2002, 18:48   #2
blackcornflake

Just tried it on my A1200, andreas. Exact same thing happened.

Instantly flashes up some message like: "For reasons that baffle the mind, Mad Dog decided to fling himself off the edge of the chasm", or such like. "Thank you for playing!"

Anything that can be done about this?
Old 26 July 2002, 19:19   #3
andreas
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally posted by blackcornflake
[B]Just tried it on my A1200, andreas. Exact same thing happened.
????
with you TOO?
Heck, now I'm DAMN flabbergasted. :eek
Thanks for testing it on the real thing, anyway.
In any case, it's an odd thing because THERE DEFINITELY IS NO CHASM where you're standing at.
Old 31 October 2010, 18:24   #4
mailman
Zone Friend

I played this game today and exactly the same thing happened. Did anybody solve the thing why it is like it is?
Old 31 October 2010, 18:31   #5
Don_Adan

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreas View Post
Hi,

I'm stuck!
And I don't think that it's my fault. I mean, a mistake I made in the game before. The following scenario is definitely *not* supposed to happen in that manner!

Before stepping into the entrance introducing Chapter 3, there seems to be a big bug in the game.
It might as well be an incorrectly cracked game.

After going north in the game saved under CAVERN2, you're DEAD! Usually, it should be reducible to a certain mistake YOU made in the game before! But look at the scenery: it's plain ground, and the chasm is far away!
Anyway, you're dragged into "the pit" (that doesn't exist where you're standing at) and DEAD!
But you MUST go to the north, for after taking the book from the skeleton there's no other way to advance in the game but to the north.
I pulled myself together, and played again (!) up to this point using an "official" walkthrough from the net, and same thing.

An emulator bug? Less likely, but keep that eventuality in mind in case any other one doesn't apply, too.
My actual suspicion is that it's a "cracking bug".
Please test the save disk on REAL Amigas if I don't demand too much of you. It might work there.
Save-disk is in the zone.
If I remember right this game never was cracked and has ingame protection. Skid Row version is not cracked.
Old 01 November 2010, 11:41   #6
mailman
Zone Friend

I tried three different versions. Each of them was cracked. My guess is that they were cracked wrong.

BTW: This game is available for free. At least DOS version. I will try to talk to the developers about releasing Amiga version (if they still have it).

Last edited by mailman; 01 November 2010 at 12:00.
Old 01 November 2010, 12:41   #7
andreas
Zone Friend

Cool, thanks.
(Also for exhuming my 8-year-old thread...2002!! Time flies like a banana...)
Old 01 November 2010, 13:56   #8
Don_Adan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman View Post
I tried three different versions. Each of them was cracked. My guess is that they were cracked wrong.

BTW: This game is available for free. At least DOS version. I will try to talk to the developers about releasing Amiga version (if they still have it).
Why you think that you have/use cracked version? Not always wrong reply on protection screen stop the game, f.e. Fate Gates of Dawn, Biing, Jetstrike etc.
Old 01 November 2010, 14:18   #9
mailman
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Adan View Post
Why you think that you have/use cracked version? Not always wrong reply on protection screen stop the game, f.e. Fate Gates of Dawn, Biing, Jetstrike etc.
The magician should ask me a question and for the answer I should refer to the manual. One wrong answer and the game should not give me the possibility to progress farther than West Marinor. In the cracked version he just says "TYPE N" - so I type N and he says correct all three times.
Old 01 November 2010, 14:27   #10
Don_Adan

Quote:
The magician should ask me a question and for the answer I should refer to the manual. One wrong answer and the game should not give me the possibility to progress farther than West Marinor. In the cracked version he just says "TYPE N" - so I type N and he says correct all three times.
OK, then this is perhaps crack fault, if you have manual try to use uncracked (original) version and enter right answer, and check effects for CHAPTER 3.
Old 01 November 2010, 15:19   #11
mailman
Zone Friend

It will not work because I don't know what the magician asks. Instead there is only "TYPE {something}". This is why I put my interest into DOS version which is freely available. Is there any way that you could "remove" the crack?

Last edited by mailman; 01 November 2010 at 15:29.
Old 01 November 2010, 16:25   #12
Don_Adan

Quote:
It will not work because I don't know what the magician asks. Instead there is only "TYPE {something}". This is why I put my interest into DOS version which is freely available. Is there any way that you could "remove" the crack?
If no code is changed/modified in Amiga version, you can try to restore original text from PC original version or you must try to find Amiga original version. But if I remember right Skid Row version was not cracked or I have uncracked version. If you have save game before magician ask, please send to me I will check this. Also you can compare data/exec files between all your Amiga versions, you have 3, if I remember right.
Old 01 November 2010, 17:39   #13
mailman
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Adan View Post
But if I remember right Skid Row version was not cracked or I have uncracked version.
Could you put your version in the Zone?

Quote:
If you have save game before magician ask, please send to me I will check this.
In the Zone. You should load savegame named JASKINIA3 and then go through the north exit.
Old 04 November 2010, 16:19   #14
Don_Adan

Quote:
Could you put your version in the Zone?

In the Zone. You should load savegame named JASKINIA3 and then go through the north exit.
I have Skid Row version only, some (~15) years ago someone told me that this game is not cracked due ingame protection.
I checked this game again and perhaps first protection is passed correctly, this game has second manual protection in Chapter 4 and perhaps my old friend reach this place.
Then perhaps problem related to your save can be related to game bug or wrong walktrough. Anyway I restored original version from Skid Row version and you can try to check original version too (but don't use old saves, you must play this game again from start). Replace chapter.0 file with Skid Row version, also solution from the net is included.

http://wt.exotica.org.uk/files/Maddog.lzx
Old 11 November 2010, 17:26   #15
mailman
Zone Friend

Thanks. I have a problem in passing the protection. I have a map and I can answer first two questions but I can't answer the third one. It is impossible to read from the map the name of the Wall. I tried loading the game again in hope to get different questions but there are still the same ones. Knowing that I conlude that although it might seem contrary, this version is also cracked but differently: there are fixed answers to fixed questions. Was there any file on the disk explaining this?
Old 12 November 2010, 14:59   #16
Don_Adan

Quote:
Thanks. I have a problem in passing the protection. I have a map and I can answer first two questions but I can't answer the third one. It is impossible to read from the map the name of the Wall. I tried loading the game again in hope to get different questions but there are still the same ones. Knowing that I conlude that although it might seem contrary, this version is also cracked but differently: there are fixed answers to fixed questions. Was there any file on the disk explaining this?
I passed protection questions a few times and questions are always random on my A2000. You can use answers from Skid Row version, simple compare both versions of "chapter.0" file. In Skid Row version questions are replaced with answers (TYPE xxx), then you can get right answer from this same chapter.0 offset.
Old 12 November 2010, 21:58   #17
andreas
Zone Friend

Heh. Sounds as if you have to play BOTH versions simultaneously/sequentially to get past this point??
Yes I mean: live!

As it is (like you point out) random, you will have to load the game first with the Skid Row chapter.0 file and second again with your own file version (i. e. savestate will be your friend)
Telling from my logical conclusions (out of the blue, beware!) it will NOT be sufficient to simply look at these files with a hex editor, since you must know as well which question will be chosen at the very time you're playing it.
And you can never predict which, can you ...
Old 14 November 2010, 15:40   #18
Don_Adan

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreas View Post
Heh. Sounds as if you have to play BOTH versions simultaneously/sequentially to get past this point??
Yes I mean: live!

As it is (like you point out) random, you will have to load the game first with the Skid Row chapter.0 file and second again with your own file version (i. e. savestate will be your friend)
Telling from my logical conclusions (out of the blue, beware!) it will NOT be sufficient to simply look at these files with a hex editor, since you must know as well which question will be chosen at the very time you're playing it.
And you can never predict which, can you ...
Too complicated, you can write questions and answers on paper first (I made this by hand) or use second Amiga/PC as hex editor. But if this game works under multitasking, only one Amiga is necessary.

Here is link to the map:
http://www.gamecrafters.com/gamecraf...dexart/map.gif
Old 25 November 2010, 11:10   #19
meynaf
son of 68k

I was able to extract the answers from data files and get past the protection in an uncracked version.
This was deceiving : you still get dead when going north.

So it's either something we missed, or a script bug.
Old 02 December 2010, 10:23   #20
meynaf
son of 68k

The more i look at it, the more this game looks damaged to me.

So for those who are able to hex-edit files, here is a trick to get past the problem.

1. move to the place right before the buggy exit (you know, that room with the skeleton and door), and stay at the bottom center of the screen

2. save your game (f.e. with name "test")

3. hex-edit your saved game (it's file MDW.test in my example), and replace these SC2016.xxx by SC3001.xxx (that is, change 2016 into 3001) - you have 4 of them to do (PAK, CNC, DOR, TXT)

4. reload your save (as the game multitasks, you don't need to quit the game to do all that ; just prevent it from closing your WB screen by keeping a few non-WB windows opened, like cli) ; you can do amiga-M to switch screens as usual

5. you will find yourself in a buggy view ; don't worry as this is due to hacking the save, and walk to the south (the exit at the bottom of the screen)

6. see where you are now ? save your game and you can resume playing (just don't try to cross this place again as the problem is still there)