English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 26 August 2011, 21:05   #1
DaveMB
Banana in disk drive eror

display issue (real amiga)

Ok i have an issue on my real 1200 thats not present in WinUAE so figured i would post it here.

Certain games/demos on my real amiga are not displayed full screen.

I am using a 23" widescreen LCD connected to my 1200 via RGB to Scart but the issue is still present in Composite to Scart. (not tried RF to Aerial but assume it would be the same)

I'll use Fairlights 242 demo as a perfect example, on WinUAE it displays full screen (as does pretty much everything else), But on my 1200 regardless of what aspect ratio i use it does not fill the screen.

I doubt there is anything wrong with my 1200/TV setup as lots of other things do display fullscreen, It's just annoying that the things that don't display full screen on my real Amiga do on WinUAE.

Is it an issue with widescreen? IE: is my only 'fix' to use a 4:3 tv?

Or is it just WinUAE doing things with the image that real amigas do not do?
Old 26 August 2011, 21:23   #2
thomas

Your A1200 is correct, WinUAE is wrong. It was discussed many times and people demanded again and again so that Toni finally gave in and implemented automatic scaling so that WinUAE wrongly shows the picture in full screen. A real Amiga has a display area of ca. 768x576 pixels while most programs only use 640x400 of it at various different positions. There always was a background-colored frame around the game display. The only difference is that modern TFT monitors show every single pixel while a CRT TV connected to the Amiga has round edges with the far outer borders cut off. This means that on an ancient Amiga monitor the effect wasn't so obvious.
Old 26 August 2011, 23:20   #3
DaveMB

thanks thomas
Old 27 August 2011, 08:50   #4
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Also old CRT TV overscan region was not very exact, it can vary up to 10% or so. Many Amiga owners also had 1081/1084 TV monitors which had size/position adjustments.

Only original programmer can tell "correct" display size and position
Old 27 August 2011, 11:20   #5
DaveMB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Also old CRT TV overscan region was not very exact, it can vary up to 10% or so. Many Amiga owners also had 1081/1084 TV monitors which had size/position adjustments.

Hmm i remember 'back in the day' i had my Amiga hooked up to a monitor(can't remember what make it was, Definitely not Commodore) that had hardware roller controls for V/H size adjustments.

Maybe thats why i don't remember the display not filling the screen.

Oh well, no problem - just wanted to make sure my 1200 was displaying correctly. (I have been spoiled by WinUAE for the last few years)
Old 29 August 2011, 02:09   #6
Leandro Jardim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post

Hmm... So with WinUAE I need to configure its filters like a Commodore RGB monitor or like a LCD display.

Now I have a display very similar to my old TVs that I had in the past connected to my old good A500.