English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 15 May 2011, 16:24   #1
kakashi_hatake

Please help: CF/IDE workbench install guide required for NOOB :)

BACKSTORY
hi. i'm a newb to the amiga scene. i've had an amiga 1200 that i bought from ebay in 2009 (cant remember what i paid for it, was a lot), which looked appealing with a load of things (thought it was the ultimate bundle at the time). most of the disks were boxed and some didnt work so like an idiot i disposed of them..all. i know, blasphemy, thought at that time was space saving. the amiga i have is yellowed from a smokers home, came with a 4mb accelerator inside, a really horrible commodore tank mouse which doesn't track very well/at all and the keyboard is a nightmare to type on as the keys just push back, feels rigid (compared to a cpc 464 or even the dell L100 i'm typing on atm). so all in all my experience to the amiga has been marred by an a-hole ebay seller making a nice buck from a noob buyer thats why i had put it into storage until now, retro bug has bitten..
now i want to give it another chance and spend some money in the right places, but for now i have a cf-ide (adapter and 4gb cf card) and want to install workbench 3.0 (as i kept the manual) but have no workbench disks. when i connect the ide/cf to the amiga 1200 it asks for workbench disks with the hand with a floppy

OBJECTIVE
**here's what i want to do,
- connect my cf card to the pc via usb
- install workbench using winuae on the cf
- place adf files from pc to the cf card
- connect the cf via ide to the amiga
- have the amiga running the cf 4gb card happily
**^is their a noob-friendly guide anywhere for this?

EXTRA
next i want to be able to use a laser mouse (microsoft intellimouse) and want to connect it to the amiga via a usb adapter. i have a sega megadrive joypad which works
Old 15 May 2011, 18:19   #2
terexuk
Users Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakashi_hatake View Post
BACKSTORY
hi. i'm a newb to the amiga scene. i've had an amiga 1200 that i bought from ebay in 2009 (cant remember what i paid for it, was a lot), which looked appealing with a load of things (thought it was the ultimate bundle at the time). most of the disks were boxed and some didnt work so like an idiot i disposed of them..all. i know, blasphemy, thought at that time was space saving. the amiga i have is yellowed from a smokers home

This is normal for "old" computers chances are its not nicotine as this will wash off in detergent, see here

http://retr0bright.wikispaces.com/

, came with a 4mb accelerator inside, a really horrible commodore tank mouse which doesn't track very well/at all and the keyboard is a nightmare to type on as the keys just push back, feels rigid (compared to a cpc 464 or even the dell L100 i'm typing on atm). so all in all my experience to the amiga has been marred by an a-hole ebay seller making a nice buck from a noob buyer thats why i had put it into storage until now, retro bug has bitten..
now i want to give it another chance and spend some money in the right places, but for now i have a cf-ide (adapter and 4gb cf card) and want to install workbench 3.0 (as i kept the manual) but have no workbench disks. when i connect the ide/cf to the amiga 1200 it asks for workbench disks with the hand with a floppy

OBJECTIVE
**here's what i want to do,
- connect my cf card to the pc via usb
- install workbench using winuae on the cf
- place adf files from pc to the cf card
- connect the cf via ide to the amiga
- have the amiga running the cf 4gb card happily
**^is their a noob-friendly guide anywhere for this?

have a read here

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=25274

EXTRA
next i want to be able to use a laser mouse (microsoft intellimouse) and want to connect it to the amiga via a usb adapter. i have a sega megadrive joypad which works
easier and cheaper to get one of these

http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/...products_id=88

have a good look around this board theres loads of help to do all of the above
And plenty of people willing to help you

good luck
Old 15 May 2011, 23:25   #3
kakashi_hatake

pushing forward with this atm
http://www.2e0zak.co.uk/amiga/CF-setup.html
Old 15 May 2011, 23:46   #4
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Quote:
pushing forward with this atm
http://www.2e0zak.co.uk/amiga/CF-setup.html
Guide is missing important info like setting correct max_transfer for Amiga IDE (0x1fe00)
Old 16 May 2011, 00:20   #5
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

Quote:
when i connect the ide/cf to the amiga 1200 it asks for workbench disks with the hand with a floppy
That's strange, I thought that was the kickstart 1.3 startup screen. The A1200 should be a purple screen with an animated disk inserting in an Amiga.
Old 16 May 2011, 00:26   #6
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Maybe there is a KS3.0/1.3 kickswitch?
Old 16 May 2011, 00:36   #7
kakashi_hatake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnie View Post
That's strange, I thought that was the kickstart 1.3 startup screen. The A1200 should be a purple screen with an animated disk inserting in an Amiga.
yeah, it is. dont know how that image came to my mind
atm doing everything in windows using winuae, havent opened up the amiga for a while. last time i had installed the empty cf card it wanted me to put a disk in. as i dont have the disks and do have the adf images of the disks, setting it up os tasking :/
still cant get it to recognise my cf card, it had actually been writing over the install disk
edit: aha, it needs to edit the disk, now its leting me partition with a slider upto 2gb wooot

Last edited by kakashi_hatake; 16 May 2011 at 01:00. Reason: progress
Old 16 May 2011, 01:14   #8
EmuChicken

damnit, wish I could help, I did this all 2 years ago...

I think in the end I had to format it on the Amiga, and THEN move it to the pc to recognise it. If you have more than 2GB on the CF you should install the FFS (I think) filesystem to get use of all your memory on it ... (I think!)
Old 16 May 2011, 03:20   #9
kakashi_hatake

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzsteve View Post
Guide is missing important info like setting correct max_transfer for Amiga IDE (0x1fe00)
thanks dude, vital info
my 4gb started going a bit wonky (wasnt showing draws for partitions on desktop) so i used a 2gb cf and restarted, partitioned into 3 (200mb for wb, 300mb for work and the rest for games) changed max transfer for all partition using that code

Last edited by kakashi_hatake; 16 May 2011 at 03:22. Reason: extra
Old 16 May 2011, 15:09   #10
kakashi_hatake

ok, so i have installed the cf in winuae, formatted and when i install it into the amiga, the purple screen remains asking for a disk. when i connect it the the pc using winuae, it loads workbench from the cf card. i'm confused
Old 16 May 2011, 15:24   #11
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

Have you tried restarting the Amiga once the Amiga Disk is showing by pressing Ctrl-Left Amiga-Right Amiga?

Many CF cards are faster than the IDE interface so it needs a simple reboot for the card to boot just fine
Old 16 May 2011, 15:34   #12
terexuk
Users Awaiting Email Confirmation

ide cable right way round ? never done this myself tho
Old 16 May 2011, 16:17   #13
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
when you did the stuff in winuae (adding Harddrive) did you set the HD Controller to be ide0 so that when u prep and what ever, you are useing the scsi.device or did you leave it as UAE

I personally recommend using the ide0 option
Old 16 May 2011, 16:45   #14
kakashi_hatake

its a mess atm. had installed 3.1 with 3.1 rom in winuae. turns out my amiga 1200 has 3.0 kickstart roms installed in it. so last night i deleted everything and tried to reinstall v3.0. it was giving errors in the v3.0 install for the storage disk but now i'm getting some checksum errors. going to tinker a bit more.. keep pushing forward
if only i knew the ctrl-amiga+amiga trick, may have worked.
also i notice that when i'm using the v3.0 install disk, the hdtools>icon>info doesnt have any info to change the scsi comment to uaehf... disk systems eh?
Old 16 May 2011, 17:31   #15
kakashi_hatake

ok so i had the 2gb in ide0, partitioned as mentioned, hd0, hd1, hd2, max transfer 0x1fe00. this time quick formatted, installed v3.0 with success (stay in the window) using 3.0 rom, used basic similar to my own setup setting a1200 + 4mb fastram, so when i put this into my amiga, purple screen. do the ctrl+amiga+amiga trick it resets and still at the purple screen... :/

nvm success!!! XD awesome, dont know what it was,pluggeed it back into the amiga, red light flashed and now i'm in workbench, schweeett! :P
now theres a drive on the desktop with df0:???
ah well at least made it this far... now how to get classic workbench or even whdload onto this thing

ok so the installation was a success, but now i'm having issues with classicworkbench. i'm getting please ensure system.zip file is present in dh0, but in the folder downloaded there is no system.zip :?

Last edited by kakashi_hatake; 16 May 2011 at 18:40. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Use the edit function.
Old 16 May 2011, 19:57   #16
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

df0:??? means that the floppy drive either isn't getting any power (alas it might not have the floppy power connector connected), or it's ribbon cable isn't connected right.

Concerning ClassicWB... System.zip doesn't exist cause it's being created by you if you read the instructions : "Creating "System.zip" in WinUAE"
But why do you use the real amiga method since you can make the 1st method blazingly fast and easy?
Old 16 May 2011, 20:13   #17
kakashi_hatake

yup your right, i have the case cover removed so that must be it
the instructions for classicwb arent that straightforward.. for me that is :/
Old 17 May 2011, 13:14   #18
kakashi_hatake

so i've finally installed classicwb full onto my 4gb flash (had to use another one). i was wondering how do i make an exact image of the cf for backup and later on is there a way to restore the backup image if anything goes wrong? the installation was a lengthy process as i had to install from scratch using bloodwych's guide
Old 17 May 2011, 14:11   #19
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

An easy way to make an exact image is the following:

Open a CLI window and write the following:

1> DH0:
1> lha -aezrx a DH1:System.lha #?

This command will make a full backup copy of your DH0: partition on partition DH1: under the name System.lha (You can either backup it up on drive WinDH_C: which is your windows C: drive if you enabled it on WinUAE's options)

If you ever need to restore that backup you just open a CLI window and type

1> DH0:
1> lha x DH1:System.lha

ANOTHER method is to simply copy all your partition contents to an WinUAE Hard Drive Image (.hdf file)
If you mounted for example a freshly formated .hdf image as partition SDH0: you open a CLI window and type:

1> copy DH0: SDH0: ALL CLONE

That command will simply copy all contents of partition DH0: to the image partition SDH0:
After the copy is finished, you can test your new backup image, by simply removing your CF HD from WinUAE and booting from the backup image

Last edited by mfilos; 17 May 2011 at 14:18.
Old 17 May 2011, 14:54   #20
kakashi_hatake

getting checksum errors, so had to format the dh1 partition again, nvm

ok so, i've learnt how to install wb, then classicwb but now the main part, getting the library of games into my dh2 partition (Games), which is 3.3gb.
first question, where do i get these games from and how do install them so that i only double click on them and the play right off the hdd :? i've heard of whdload but the website is obscure.. including the instructions and the location of the files

Last edited by kakashi_hatake; 17 May 2011 at 17:00.