English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 14 January 2003, 13:43   #1
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Thumbs down "Bad 8bit ports to Amiga" (For Antiriad)

As Antiriad suggested this thread & hadn't posted it yet, I thought I'd throw it up myself.
Those of us who were there & remember them well probably have pet hates for this thread.
I for one immediately nominate Creatures (Thalamus). What was a C64 classic shooter/platformer got absolutely massacred by Creative Materials. They changed the very character & playability in this terrible conversion.
Old 14 January 2003, 13:53   #2
Tim Janssen

Thumbs down Armalyte 'n' Hawkeye

I find Armalyte a strange conversion from C64. The game ranks as one of the best C64 shmups of all time but is on the Amiga a completely different (and rather inferior) game. I read several development teams got their hands on it before it actually went to ARC developments.

Oh, Hawkeye is also definitely inferior on the Amiga. Although the graphics look the same (literally!), the Maniacs of Noise music is sadly missing on the Amiga.

B.t.w. Wasn’t Creatures massacred by WJS Design instead of Creative Materials? This team also produced Anarchy and Ork on Amiga.
Old 14 January 2003, 13:57   #3
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Yes, Creatures was WJS.
Old 14 January 2003, 13:58   #4
ElectroBlaster

Send a message via ICQ to ElectroBlaster
Creatures! god i loved that game on the c64..... then the amiga version came out and i was sick... it looks like a bad ST port
Old 14 January 2003, 14:02   #5
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

I think Wizball and Head over Heels is better on the C64.
Old 14 January 2003, 14:18   #6
oldpx

Hawkeye! It was great on 64 but Amiga version was very sad.

Old 14 January 2003, 19:32   #7
Antiriad
The Sacred Armour Of

Cheers Zark! Must watch some Battle of the Plantes at some point in your honour
Old 14 January 2003, 20:36   #8
Overdoc
Commodore Collector

Definitely Last Ninja II !
It was great on the 64, but awful on the miggy.
Also my all time greatest C64 shoot'm up, Katakis, comes to mind, but it was at least playable on the Amiga if you don't compare it to the C64 version.
Old 15 January 2003, 08:38   #9
Tim Janssen

Post Creatures & Last Ninja series

About Creatures :
I am a bit puzzled why Creatures is 'bad' on Amiga. The graphics are OK, the music is faithfully converted and even the gameplay is identical (I played the C64 original a couple of weeks ago). I think the unique 8-bit feeling of the original is debet to this.

@Overdoc,
To be honest, I find The Last Ninja series crap on any platform, except the C64. The game just does not feel right when not played in 8-bit graphics SID-music mode.
At least Amiga Last Ninja 2 looks and sounds good. A couple of years ago I downloaded Ninja 2 for PC and really got torturted by my PC when playing it. I had selected CGA mode (4-colors) and the music was played through the interal PC-speakers. The average mobile cellphone has better music capabilities nowadays.
Old 15 January 2003, 14:20   #10
Amiga1992

Zak McKraken, Giana Sisters, Teenage Mutanmt Hero Turtles (arcade), Blues Brothers.. all tehse are examples of games I preferred on my C64!
Old 15 January 2003, 14:32   #11
Tim Janssen

Eek Blues Brothers?!?

@Akira,
Why do you prefer the 64-version of Blues Brothers? The gravity-force effect just isn't right on the 64. The Blues Brother acts like a Neil Armstrong wearing sunglasses which is hopping around a world with a gravity which is too low.
Old 15 January 2003, 15:37   #12
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

The Amiga port of Last Ninja 2 was definitely a pile of crud. Turbo Outrun, Power Drift and Bionic Commando were also disappointing compared to the C64 versions.

I've come across many more examples in the past, but I just can't think of them right now.

Great idea for a thread BTW!

Last edited by DrBong; 15 January 2003 at 18:02.
Old 16 January 2003, 11:26   #13
manicx

Well Last Ninja 2 is the most memorable example. It was so bad on the ST/Amiga that I didn't bother playing it for more that 30 minutes. BTW, LN2 was not bad in Speccy and the CPC. The display was slightly poor (not bad though as the graphics were clear) and the controls exacty the same as the C64. Sound was very good at least on the Amstrad and it was one of the first games that I remember to be double sided on the CPC!!!
Old 16 January 2003, 16:59   #14
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Re: Creatures & Last Ninja series

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Janssen
About Creatures :
I am a bit puzzled why Creatures is 'bad' on Amiga. The graphics are OK, the music is faithfully converted and even the gameplay is identical (I played the C64 original a couple of weeks ago). I think the unique 8-bit feeling of the original is debet to this.

@Overdoc,
To be honest, I find The Last Ninja series crap on any platform, except the C64. The game just does not feel right when not played in 8-bit graphics SID-music mode.
At least Amiga Last Ninja 2 looks and sounds good. A couple of years ago I downloaded Ninja 2 for PC and really got torturted by my PC when playing it. I had selected CGA mode (4-colors) and the music was played through the interal PC-speakers. The average mobile cellphone has better music capabilities nowadays.
@Tim.
1) Firstly,D'oh, you're right about WJS,as Cody pointed out. In my tired fuzzy-headed state,I was remembering the original Creatures diary which mentioned Creative Materials doing the conversion,& not the eventual developer.

Creatures is "bad" on the Amiga because...
A) Look at the extrememly crappy GFX, thry were like someone had used wax crayons.
B) The sprite scale was completely out of context to the game in Amiga Creatures. Where in the C64 you needed on occasion some nimble movements, in the Amiga you had oversized slow moving sprites crowding up the screen. If you'd read the dev diares & seen the obvious efforts the Rowlands put into making the C64 game shine in every aspect, it really showed how inept a conversion this Amiga version was.
A classic example of throwing a few big pixels onto the screen to supposedly make use of the Amiga & yet completely failaing at bringing the feel & playability across-I'd doubt they even played it!
Old 16 January 2003, 17:02   #15
ElectroBlaster

Send a message via ICQ to ElectroBlaster
nothing beats the 64 version of creatures! i even love the sid music.... the amiga version dont even come close!

I still remember the review stuff in the mags and going straight out and buying it! (one of the rare occasions i actually bought a game lol) i didnt have a disk drive so i had to make do with tape.... still well worth it tho
Old 17 January 2003, 16:09   #16
Puzzle

Mayhem in Monsterland was really great. Made by the same guys that made Creatures.
Of course, it never made it to the Amiga.
Old 17 January 2003, 19:23   #17
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Xenon. Speccy, MSX and C64 versions are better than the Amiga/Atari ST, at least in the gameplay department.

Funny Kodoichi mentioned Chubby Gristle. Yes, the Amiga version sucks, but every other version of this games suck too

Power Drift was a big dissapointment on Amiga, as I was a big fan of the Arcade version. The CPC version is quite good, though.
The MSX/Speccy version wasn't very good too.
Old 20 January 2003, 09:17   #18
manicx

I remebered another one! Flimbo's Quest...
Old 27 January 2003, 13:58   #19
dirkies
Zone Friend

outrun (C64 was not so good either, but Ami one was an insult)
buggy boy (C64 version was so addictive, miggy version way too slow and boooooring soundFX)
dunno about 1943 for C64, but on the Ami it was just ridiculous, those who cracked it called it in their intro "1943 (1917?)" Nuff said!
Old 27 January 2003, 14:47   #20
Drake1009

I quite liked Buggy boy on the Amiga though the C64 version was better.