English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Other

Old 25 June 2019, 04:25   #1
badflame

What's wrong with this startup-sequence?

I try to autoload a game using WHDLoad. For this I have the "WHDLoad" file instaled in the "DH0: /c", while the game is in DH1:

The boot disk is "DH1:" so it is the active directory.

I have this code in the "startup-sequence" file:

Code:
cd dh0:c
whdload dh1:AlienBreed3D2AGA.slave PRELOAD NOWRITECACHE
And it produces this error: "object not found" "cd failed returncode 20"

But if immediately after the error, from the same CLI window I write by hand the same code, it works well.

In the same way...

If I copy the file "WHDLoad" in the "DH1:", to run directly from this unit and avoid the need to change of unit with the "cd" command, using this code:

Code:
whdload AlienBreed3D2AGA.slave PRELOAD NOWRITECACHE
Also produces error: "wrong number of arguments" "whdload failure returncode 10"

And again if I write by hand the same line of code, the game runs ok.

Well...

I do not know much about how "startup-sequence" works, but seeing the result it seems to me that CLI commands can not be used in the same way as writing in real time.

Can someone help me with the creation of this startup-sequence?

Thanks a lot.
Old 25 June 2019, 05:13   #2
AC/DC HACKER!

Hello and Welcome to AmigaOS, an Unix like OS before Linux was crated.

Why have you not installed the OS which would then boot to Workbench? Then from Workbench you could run the WHDLoad installed game/demo...?

DH0: is great for basic and average users, and is commonly the Boot Partition. Why is DH1: your boot/active partition? We don't generally call it an "Active" partition, as Windows users do, but it's only active by Priority not the ways Windows does it. I'm curious. You used "DH0: /C" with means there's a space in the path. "C" doesn't have a "space" in the path. It's "DH0:C", unless you did a typo. But never, ever with AmigaOS is it /...that's a Windows thing.

Why are you using "whdload dh1:AlienBreed3D2AGA.slave PRELOAD NOWRITECACHE" when "WHDLoad DH1:AlienBreed3D2AGA.slave PRELOAD NOCACHE" would work? You might be misunderstanding the ToolTypes.

When you comment that it's the active directory, do you mean Booting or by CD?

An Amiga Pureist also never used "startup-sequence". It's always "Startup-Sequence". I'm messing with you while being honest...and particular.

There isn't any need to CD into DH0:C to access WHDLoad. Unless you saved the files there. (OOPS!) Haha. Since DH1: is your Boot partition, when you type WHDLoad it should search C: or DH1:C as the path. Understand?

"cd dh0:c
whdload dh1:AlienBreed3D2AGA.slave PRELOAD NOWRITECACHE"

Right, the C is not in DH0:, it's in DH1:C.. It's also looking for "AlienBreed3D2AGA.slave" to be in DH1:...and it's not there. You don't need DH1: to be before AlienBreed3D2AGA.slave. It'll search for WHDLoad in your AmigaDOS path, but if you're not in the root of the Game's install, it won't find the Salve file.

There are a lot of possibilities. Please share your entire Startup-Sequence.

WHDLoad is a CLI command, and it will function correctly if all is installed and being used as intended. So, again, let's see the Startup-Sequence before going too much further. You seem to have a Not so common install..which is usually only done with advanced users OR people who don't really understand what they're doing. So, let's check..and get it cleared.

Before ANYTHING ELSE... Are you Using WinUAE, and what version? Or are you Using REAL Hardware, and if so...what kind? Just because the game is AGA doesn't mean you're using AGA Emulated or Real.
Old 25 June 2019, 05:36   #3
badflame

Gee! Everything has been solved by exchanging the number of the unit

I configured the units from WinUAE on the contrary, it's to say:

- DH1: system.hdf (with the Workbench and WHDLoad installed)
- DH0: AlienBreed3D2AGA.7z

And with this "startup-sequence", ups sorry, this "Startup-Sequence" works fine:

Code:
dh1:c/whdload alienbreed3d2aga.slave PRELOAD NOWRITECACHE
Thanks a lot!!!

Anyway, only for curiosity, it is not possible to include a "CD" command inside a "Startup-Sequence" file, right?
Old 25 June 2019, 07:04   #4
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by badflame View Post
Anyway, only for curiosity, it is not possible to include a "CD" command inside a "Startup-Sequence" file, right?
It's just an ordinary script file, anything that is valid in a script file can be used, including the CD command.

(Of course such changes are probably better to be done in User-startup instead...)
Old 25 June 2019, 07:13   #5
badflame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minuous View Post
It's just an ordinary script file, anything that is valid in a script file can be used, including the CD command.

(Of course such changes are probably better to be done in User-startup instead...)
Ok, then I suppose the error also occurred due to the fact that I selected as "boot" unit the "DH1:"
Old 25 June 2019, 11:08   #6
Hewitson

Quote:
Is it possible? Yes. But I can't think of any reason you'd ever want to do it. I'd consider it bad practice.
Old 25 June 2019, 12:48   #7
solarmon

The original startup-sequence script probably failed because the "cd" command was not in a path that the script could find - hence the "object not found" message?
Old 25 June 2019, 13:24   #8
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:

Can someone help me with the creation of this startup-sequence?

Thanks a lot.
This is the correct Command to start the game from the Startup-sequence (WHDLoad must be in DH0:C)

CD DH1:
C:WHDLoad DH1:AlienBreed3DAGA.Slave PRELOAD NOWRITECACHE
Old 25 June 2019, 13:45   #9
DamienD
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarmon View Post
The original startup-sequence script probably failed because the "cd" command was not in a path that the script could find - hence the "object not found" message?
With an A1200, "cd" is actually in the 3.0 / 3.1 ROM AFAIK so no need for this to be in the C: folder.
Old 25 June 2019, 13:48   #10
solarmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarmon View Post
Oops! Sorry, just realised now that 'CD' should be an internal command, so the error was probably because it couldn't find "DH0:C" - probably because it didn't exist - as already stated by AC/DC HACKER!
Old 25 June 2019, 14:47   #11
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
With an A1200, "cd" is actually in the 3.0 / 3.1 ROM AFAIK so no need for this to be in the C: folder.
Yes Damiano however the CD Command is resident in ROM from OS 2.x
Old 25 June 2019, 17:30   #12
jPV

Quote:
But this is just a dirty work-around for some misconfiguration, which should be solveable in more logical way
Old 25 June 2019, 18:15   #13
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jPV View Post
But this is just a dirty work-around for some misconfiguration, which should be solveable in more logical way
Yes, because it will be difficult to launch applications assigned to DH0, and will not have available libraries, devices and system files, really not move "everything" in DH1.

In any case you can restore the volumes and use the command I reported that works perfectly.
Old 25 June 2019, 19:51   #14
DamienD
Global Moderator

I don't think badflame moved all C / Fonts / Libs etc. from the "system.hdf"...

I took it as he just had the order of hard drives added incorrectly in his WinUAE configuration i.e:

Code:
I assume he fixed this (besides now using the correct syntax) by moving the hard drives like so:

Code:
- DH0: system.hdf (with the Workbench and WHDLoad installed)
- DH1: AlienBreed3D2AGA.7z
Old 27 June 2019, 01:05   #15
AC/DC HACKER!

Quote:

Code:
dh1:c/whdload alienbreed3d2aga.slave PRELOAD NOWRITECACHE
Thanks a lot!!!

Exxxcelllent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
This is the correct Command to start the game from the Startup-sequence (WHDLoad must be in DH0:C)

CD DH1:
C:WHDLoad DH1:AlienBreed3DAGA.Slave PRELOAD NOWRITECACHE
WHDLoad doesn't have to be in C: or PartitionName:C. It may be anywhere you want it to be, but you have to remember to point to that location in Icons or scripts; such as Startup-Sequence, or...User-Startup.

If the command is in C: then C:WHDLoad is not required. C: is inherent in the paths, just as Libs: and L, etc. are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
I don't think badflame moved all C / Fonts / Libs etc. from the "system.hdf"...

I took it as he just had the order of hard drives added incorrectly in his WinUAE configuration i.e:

Code:
I assume he fixed this (besides now using the correct syntax) by moving the hard drives like so:

Code:
- DH0: system.hdf (with the Workbench and WHDLoad installed)
- DH1: AlienBreed3D2AGA.7z
Yeah...one of my longer examinations and explanations. OOps..haha! Attempting to be "more" than helpful. Ah, well. In person I would have caught that sooner, more visual.
Old 27 June 2019, 02:49   #16
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/DC HACKER! View Post
Exxxcelllent!

WHDLoad doesn't have to be in C: or PartitionName:C. It may be anywhere you want it to be, but you have to remember to point to that location in Icons or scripts; such as Startup-Sequence, or...User-Startup.
This is obvious, but usually it is very convenient to put the commands in C (Directory) to facilitate execution without the need to remember where the command is located

Quote:
If the command is in C: then C:WHDLoad is not required. C: is inherent in the paths, just as Libs: and L, etc. are.
It depends on where you run WHDLoad and on which "OS Amiga" you are using, by Shell is certainly not necessary but by Workbench in some circumstances is necessary, read below.
If for example you want to run WHDLoad from Workbench 2.x (icon) the WHDLoad command alone does not work, in this case you need path name then C:WHDLoad.
Of course on OS 2.x you can correct this by adding in the Startup-sequence the command "Path C:"

Even on OS 3.x, if WHDLoad is in "C" and you start the Workbench "manually" without using the Startup-sequence, that is "only LoadWB and Endcli" (excuding Path command) inside icon you must necessarily write C:WHDLoad otherwise the WHDLoad command will not be found:

see my comprehensive video

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 27 June 2019 at 09:20.
Old 28 June 2019, 02:14   #17
AC/DC HACKER!

Quote:
This is obvious, but usually it is very convenient to put the commands in C (Directory) to facilitate execution without the need to remember where the command is located

It depends on where you run WHDLoad and on which "OS Amiga" you are using, by Shell is certainly not necessary but by Workbench in some circumstances is necessary, read below.
If for example you want to run WHDLoad from Workbench 2.x (icon) the WHDLoad command alone does not work, in this case you need path name then C:WHDLoad.
Of course on OS 2.x you can correct this by adding in the Startup-sequence the command "Path C:"

Even on OS 3.x, if WHDLoad is in "C" and you start the Workbench "manually" without using the Startup-sequence, that is "only LoadWB and Endcli" (excuding Path command) inside icon you must necessarily write C:WHDLoad otherwise the WHDLoad command will not be found:

see my comprehensive video
I've been pretty heavily involved with the Amiga since the A1000. I'm informing you because you don't know me personally. I'm not a new user to Amiga OS - but I won't claim to know everything or remember everything from then. Haha. I also didn't go into great details about the OS versions. I was merely making it known that it's not needed, and most people use Amiga OS 3.x.
Old 28 June 2019, 02:24   #18
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/DC HACKER! View Post
and most people use Amiga OS 3.x.
Yes, but if they use custom startup-sequence without "Path C:" you will need to write C:WHDLoad inside the icon.

On any Amiga OS any Directory can be reached without typing the path not only C, Prefs, Utilities etc.., to do this just enter the name of the directory followed by the Path command.

Checked well the "Original Floppies" and also OS 1.x and OS2.x include the Path command in the startup-sequence equal to 3.x

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 04 July 2019 at 02:07.
Old 29 June 2019, 06:20   #19
AC/DC HACKER!

Quote:
Yes, but if they use custom startup-sequence without "Path C:" you will need to write C:WHDLoad inside the icon.
Major respect to Jay Miner and the team. You may lowercase everything including (libs:, devs: l and it'll still function..but the passion and character begins to be less. I think.

I assure you I didn't miss your previous comments about the OSes and paths.
Old 29 June 2019, 10:11   #20
Hewitson

Quote:
What sort of idiot would remove SYS:C from the path in their S-S? You're talking about a situation that would never happen.