English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.FS-UAE

Old 11 May 2013, 13:15   #1
mikeri

Full screen resolution with dual monitors

First of all, huge thanks to Frode for FS-UAE!

And then for my tiny problem;

I want to run FS-UAE in RTG mode fullscreen on one of my monitors, but I have no uaegfx: mode for it. My monitors are both 1920x1080, but the resolution list jumps straight from 1344x1080 to 3840x1080, like it sees both monitors as one when setting the fullscreen mode.

I am running i3 under Ubuntu 13.04. I admit I haven't tried with a different DE or WM yet, but will still like to hear some thoughts on this. Is it a bug in FS-UAE, could an easy workaround be implemented, or could some config hacking or even some Amiga app help me adjust for the right screen mode?

Thanks in advance for all help and feedback.

Old 11 May 2013, 14:04   #2
mikeri

Well now I feel somewhat silly, I just noticed the fullscreen_width option. However, when settings this to 1920, only the left half of my right screen is used. It's like fs-uae is trying to centre display in the middle of the total of both the monitors. This does *not* happen when not setting the fullscreen_width. I guess when not setting it, fs-UAE "pushes" the window to the right side of the right monitor as the full width of both monitors is available for use.

Also, I am using the Window managers fullscreen mode. This works fine in all other apps and games I've tried with it. FS-UAEs fullscreen blanks the screen not in use.

Let me draw some crude illustrations:

Code:
With fullscreen_width = 1920:
Left screen                Right screen
----------------------------------------
|                 |Right   |           |
|  other          |half    | Black     |
|                 |of      |           |
|    stuff        |Amiga   |           |
|                 |desktop |           |                  
|(FS-UAE not      |        |           |
|   visible here) |        |           |

Without options set:

|                 |                    |
|  other          |   Right half of    |
|    stuff        |  3840 wide desktop |
|(FS-UAE not      |                    |
|   visible here) |                    |

Running FS-UAEs fullscreen mode, even
with fullscreen_window:

|    Amiga        |                    |
|    stuff        |      Black         |

Last edited by mikeri; 11 May 2013 at 14:19.

Old 11 May 2013, 15:00   #3
mikeri

Ok, so for some strange reason I got it working when setting fullscreen width to 1919(!). When setting it to 1920 I also lost some pixels at the bottom of the screen.

Weird behaviour, but things are working for me now so I'm happy for the moment.

Old 12 May 2013, 23:46   #4
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Hi, it is great you found a way for it to work. I have some notes regarding your issues. I'll give your scenarios numbers (great sketches by the way ):
1. With fullscreen_width = 1920:
2. Without options set:
3. Running FS-UAEs fullscreen mode, even with fullscreen_window

The expected behavior with (1) is that you should have half of the FS-UAE display on half of each monitor. Like in your sketch but also for the left monitor. The reason is that FS-UAE simply uses SDL for fullscreen support. And if 1920x1080 is not an available fullscreen resolution SDL can switch to, it will use 3840x1080 instead, with the 1920x1080 displayed *centered* on that. I can not explain why there's "other stuff (FS-UAE not visible here)" on your left monitor. FS-UAE does not try to do anything clever, so I'll have to assume it has something to do with your window manager / desktop environment / X display driver...

Scenario 2 is mostly the same as (1). Here, FS-UAE detects 3840x1080 as the full resolution of your display (SDL 1.2 does not support multiple monitors, so your desktop is seen as one big monitor). The expected behavior would be to have FS-UAE stretched over both monitor. The left monitor problem is obviously the same as for (1).

As you discovered, fullscreen_mode = fullscreen-window is probably the best way to have FS-UAE only appear on one monitor if you want to have the other one displaying the desktop or something else at the same time. In this mode, FS-UAE only opens a regular window (at the specified "fullscreen size"), but without any window decorations.

For (3), I don't *know* why the second monitor is blanked with the fullscreen window. Here, I find it most likely that your desktop environment notices that there's a borderless window at the *same size* of one of your monitors, and automatically enters a fullscreen mode even though FS-UAE has not explicitly requested it. When you use 1919 as width, this function no longer applies... It is probably possible to turn this feature off (it may be called "legacy fullscreen mode" or something like that?).

Better support for fullscreen apps is certainly an area where Linux can get better
Old 13 May 2013, 17:56   #5
jbl007

Hi,
don't use F12-f to enter fullscreen mode! Use i3wm's keybinding to do it. Default is $mod+f if I'm not mistaken. You can also configure i3 to do this automatically for you. For example:

fs-uae-config:
Code:
fullscreen_mode=fullscreen-window
fullscreen_width=1680
fullscreen_height=1050
~/.i3/config:
Create a workspace named amiga:
Code:
bindsym $mod+0 workspace amiga
Assign it to a specific monitor:
Code:
workspace amiga output VGA1
If fs-uae starts up it will be moved to the workspace amiga:
Code:
assign [class="fs-uae"] amiga
auto-set fullscreen:
Code:
for_window [class="fs-uae"] fullscreen
directly jump to it (focus):
Code:
for_window [class="fs-uae"] workspace amiga

Speaking of automatic window management... Hello Frode! Could the name of the used config file also be included in the window-name of fs-uae (_NET_WM_NAME)? This would be really helpfull.
Old 13 May 2013, 23:51   #6
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbl007 View Post
Hello Frode! Could the name of the used config file also be included in the window-name of fs-uae (_NET_WM_NAME)? This would be really helpfull.
You can already set the window title by specifying title = something (and/or sub_title = something else) in the configuration file. Does this help?
Old 14 May 2013, 18:13   #7
jbl007

Yes, it helps, thanks! Didn't notice that option.
So we can match by window title now...
Quote:
for_window [title="Workbench"] fullscreen