English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 07 November 2011, 19:00   #21
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

You probably use 56Hz (according to your manual the lowest refresh rate) then, no matter what Windows or the driver/powerstrip shows.
Old 07 November 2011, 19:34   #22
atchoo
SWOS enthusiast

And 56 Hz vsynced = speed + 10%
Isn't Kick Off 2 +10% too fast?
Old 07 November 2011, 19:36   #23
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

10% faster is imho acceptable.
Old 12 November 2011, 11:06   #24
ancalimon
Supernormal

I have a Samsung Syncmaster 206BW and it works at 50hz although it shouldn't be able to sync down to that. The downside is that I have to send it to repairs every two years. :P
Old 28 November 2011, 10:51   #25
Torkio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
You probably use 56Hz (according to your manual the lowest refresh rate) then, no matter what Windows or the driver/powerstrip shows.
Hello there, sorry for slow reply but I wanted to test it deeply.
With Powerstrip I'm not running at 56Hz but it is real 50Hz and I'm sure about that.
To say it I simply made some test with a stopwatch, 30 seconds in game clock (kick off 2 has got his own clock) are 30 seconds on my stopwatch too. as you know, if it was 56Hz, there would be a difference between the two clocks.
About Powerstrip, sometimes I've got black screen or bad display, but tweaking a bit I always was able to find a 50,00X frequency that works perfectly.
I tried to test it also on my Macbook pro 4/5 years old(Windoxs XP Home 32 bit installed on a Bootcamp partition) but I didn't have good results due to (I guess) custom video drivers. The emulation goes really slow if I set it to 50Hz, who knows why. On the other side, if I try with low latenct vsync keeping 60Hz and it runs like a demon, no slow downs there. Mystery...
Old 28 November 2011, 12:15   #26
atchoo
SWOS enthusiast

I have slowdowns on my lcd @ 50 Hz, too.
I don't know why, but it doesn't bother me: WinUAE on crt is much better.
Old 28 November 2011, 12:30   #27
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

If you get strange slowdowns when using low latency vsync at 50Hz:
a) rate isn't 50Hz (check display's OSD to confirm it)
b) driver still reports 60Hz (or something else, non-50Hz) rate.

Check winuaelog.txt and/or use utility linked in this thread: http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=751562&postcount=1
Old 28 November 2011, 12:35   #28
Torkio

Quote:
Originally Posted by atchoo View Post
I have slowdowns on my lcd @ 50 Hz, too.
I don't know why, but it doesn't bother me: WinUAE on crt is much better.
I think that to have a perfect emulation of winuae, using a lcd laptop is also a Key to play local tournaments (in my particular case Kick Off tournaments) so to set up some laptop with winuae is much easy than to set desktop computer and crt monitors, also in logistic view. besides this, I have always dreamt to play Kick off 2 in my car! a CRT isn't actually suitable for that!
Old 28 November 2011, 12:38   #29
Torkio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
If you get strange slowdowns when using low latency vsync at 50Hz:
a) rate isn't 50Hz (check display's OSD to confirm it)
b) driver still reports 60Hz (or something else, non-50Hz) rate.

Check winuaelog.txt and/or use utility linked in this thread: http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=751562&postcount=1
Thanks so much for your attention. I'm going to do some test. my feedback asap
Old 30 November 2011, 11:58   #30
Torkio

Thanks Tony, as you guessed, even if I set 50Hz on powerstrip, the real monitor frequency (according with the nice software you suggested) wasn't 50 but 33. It is clear now the reason because the emulations was in slow motion: it was synced to go 33 Hz which 66% of the real speed.
I don't know how Powerstrip works and how it changes the video frequencies. it is clear in this case it doesn't work properly.
I tried a smart way to force the 50Hz doing some test: I changed the frequency value in powerstrip using a simple proportion: if a setting of 50Hz in powerstrip gives to me a real 33Hz, I changed that value to 75. it "should" gave me 50Hz.
Well, I found a good 48,64 Hz not perfect as in this case the emulation is 3% slower then real, but acceptable, considering that the smoothness is perfect now.
I tried to rise up the value again to have a perfect (or near to perfection) 50 Hz but the things doesn't seem so linear. in fact even if I rose up the value in powerstrip, the frequency test program gave me values near to 48,64, it never improved, going, going, going, until I inserted a value of 84. reached that value, the frequency test program made a jump to 56Hz (linear with the initial proportion again). Basically using this tweak, I was able to go near 50 (48,6) but I have an hole between 48,6 and 56Hz so I cannot get a perfect 50 Hz. at least using this procedure.
Of course 48.6 is quite good, as said, but, If there is a way to get the doomed 50Hz, I'll be glad to know it. If possible a software procedure as I'm using a laptop and I cannot change video card or monitor! Thanks!