English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Other

Old 31 July 2010, 09:42   #1
breech
Asking stupid questions

Post Many hardware/software issues need resolving

Now that I have begun upgrading the A2000 (and A500) I have so many questions that I need solid answers to, so please contribute where you can!

A2000 PAL .au with 1mb Chip + GVP HC+8 Zorro II Card with 2 partition hard disk. Rom: 2.04 v37.175 WB: 2.1

1) Classic WB (CWB) 68000/WB2.1 version, menubar does not work, clicking icons do nothing as it does in the UAE version.
Note that the global file attributes have been set using Protect DH0:#? +RWED ALL QUIET (thanks Bloodwych) because some things were not set to executable after install. Maybe the system.zip I made is not trustworthy, Could someone send a working one to the zone?
Sorted, after fixing the keymap issue Protect worked properly.

2) How do you install a custom serial.device? I have tried copying BaudBandit.device to devs & configured JR-Comm to use it to no avail. I am happy to try artser new8n1 serpat miami or whatever will work. I dont really care about this anymore, im in parallel paradise maybe someone else could use the info though.

3) what is the max CPU an a500/2000 can take (after mods)? 68060 thanks thomas,Zetr0

4) can a500/2000 do AGA (after mods)? thanks thomas,ajk,Zetr0 .. that sucks BTW

5) What is involved in upgrading to ECS with (fat lady) Agnus? And what is the benefit of doing this? thanks Zetr0

6) Is there a way to use DIR and show file attributes? Thanks thomas

7) Does unzip overwrite existing files? (I think CWBs system.zip installer may not) seems to be option -o Bloodwych's installer might be missing this

8) A2000: Both internal floppies were showing DF0:????? DF1:????? (marked as busy) and were not re-usable. I swapped the CIA chips which resolved the problem. Which CIA is faulty - left or right?

9) A2000 keyboard drops out / becomes intermittent and capslock flashes at about every 1/2 second. Has this been proven to be a 5volt rail issue? I have read that it could be a chip in the keyboard. I am getting about +4.5v and -4.5v from the PSU, measured with an o-scope. thomas reckons this is a damaged CIA, cant be solved until 8) is answered.

10) CWB: installed keymap? does not suit my reigon. How do you set it correctly? Locale's execute attribute was not set.

11) What are the maximum partition sizes for OS 1.x/2.xx/3.x
Thanks thomas - 4gb scsi drive limit, hardware/software dependent partition sizes

12) Has anyone successfully hooked up a parallel network to OS 1.x/2.xx? How exactly? (I have the cable & UserPort.zip to unlock parallel ports in XP) Solved. See post 9.

13) Anyone know of a software compatibility list for OS 1.x/2.xx? 1.3 link meh

14) What can file system modifications do for these old machines? Are they recommended?

15) scsinetz.lha does anyone know of an english translation? It looks very interesting, a scsi-scsi network.

16) cleanup/snapshot never seems to work for me, next reboot icons are messy. select all icons, then snapshot. duh

17) Using DIR or LIST, what is the options for pausing - page at a time, and excluding *.info - if possible nice answer! thanks ajk

18) Is there live help for amigados commands? How is it invoked? (msdos example: dir /? = brief help) ah so simple. thanks ajk,Zetr0

19) Certain open dialogues throw up a guru, for instance browsing for drives using the coiled arrow icon (often the only option) or file/open in
-also random other buttons - like remap colours when editing an icon, or art expressions file/open.

20) when amiga installer wants to overwrite a file such as arp.library the help recommends doing it. is there a version/date check routine or is it best to stick with the current version?

21) How can I run a shell command 'hidden'? for example [paradise -stay] acts as an auto downloader whenever the pc side sends it a file. thanks thomas

22a) how come mounting a virtual floppy drive (FMSsys) to harddisk is not persistent and requires formatting after each reboot?
22b) Is there a way to prevent FMFsys from asking 'are you sure' & 'format?' each time? - I would prefer the previous FF0: to be mounted after boot time.

23) my a2000 copy of classicWB differs from the same files mounted in UAE (hardware settings the same). The UAE version has these on the workbench screen: clearram/triangle folder/commodites handler/shell/temp/demos/games and harddisk installed does not thanks ajk

24) What is the defacto simple image editor for ami (like paint.exe is to windows) I am having difficulty editing icons. PSP on windows kind of works but getting the colours correct is difficult. thanks ajk

25) I think I saw somewhere an application that could show/view remote ntfs directorys? I have tried searching but the keywords are too common. anyone know what it is? come to think of it, i think i have heard of something that views ami screen remotely too.

26) So what is the defacto text editor? CWB comes with Transwrite but that has formatting problems with some files with unusual characters such as whdload.config.

Last edited by breech; 15 August 2010 at 14:37.
Old 31 July 2010, 10:19   #2
thomas

Quote:
4) can a500/2000 do AGA (after mods)?
There is a 68060 accelerator which can take a PowerPC developer board. But there were only two or three of these boards made, so you won't ever get one.

Quote:
6) Is there a way to use DIR and show file attributes?
Use LIST.

Quote:
7) Does unzip overwrite existing files? (I think CWBs system.zip installer may not)
I am sure there are command line options to control this.

Quote:
9) A2000 keyboard drops out / becomes intermittent and capslock flashes at about every 1/2 second. Has this been proven to be a 5volt rail issue? I have read that it could be a chip in the keyboard. I am getting about +4.5v and -4.5v from the PSU, measured with an o-scope.
You put the bad CIA to the place which controls the keyboard. I would first put a good CIA in there before I worry about the keyboard itself.

Quote:
11) What are the maximum partition sizes for OS 1.x/2.xx/3.x
There is no partition size limit in any AmigaOS version. Maximum partition size depends on controller and file system used. The natural limit of the API is 4 GB. This is the hard drive limit, not the partition limit. All partitions altogether must fit in to this space.
Old 31 July 2010, 11:06   #3
ajk

I'll try a couple of questions:

Quote:
4) can a500/2000 do AGA (after mods)?
I guess thomas answered the CPU question. But as for AGA, nope.

Quote:
17) Using DIR or LIST, what is the options for pausing - page at a time, and excluding *.info - if possible
Code:
list SYS:~(#?.info) > T:temp
more T:temp
should do the trick. You can install a nicer unix style pipe handler separately, then you won't need two commands. Or you can make a script. You can also change the list output quite freely with the LFORMAT option.

Quote:
19) Is there live help for amigados commands? How is it invoked? (msdos example: dir /? = brief help)
For example

Code:
format ?
will list the parameters for that command. But you can Google for a more complete explanation of the commands.
Old 31 July 2010, 11:31   #4
thomas

Quote:
17) Using DIR or LIST, what is the options for pausing
Just press any key. It will print this key to the window and wait until you delete it before it continues.
Old 31 July 2010, 11:36   #5
thomas

Quote:
Code:
list SYS:~(#?.info) > T:temp
more T:temp
should do the trick.
Download Pipe from Aminet, unpack it and copy the command to C:, then add this line to s:shell-startup:

set _pchar "|"

After that you can use

list something | more

just like with Linux.

http://aminet.net/package/util/shell/Pipe-1.5
Old 31 July 2010, 11:38   #6
breech
Asking stupid questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
Download Pipe from Aminet, unpack it and copy the command to C:, then add this line to s:shell-startup:

set _pchar "|"

After that you can use

list something | more

just like with Linux.

http://aminet.net/package/util/shell/Pipe-1.5
ah nice i use |more in msdos.
not included in classicwb
thanks for the responses guys

Last edited by breech; 31 July 2010 at 11:48.
Old 31 July 2010, 11:41   #7
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@breech

Hiyas Breech, welcome to the wonderfull world of Amiga =)

3) what is the max CPU an A500/2000 can take (after mods)

Well firstly the A500 is a different machine than the A2000, as the A2000 has a dedicated Accelerator port, however the *max* 64pin DIP based CPU (as they both have the 68k moto) is a Progressive Peripherals 040@25mhz with 8MB of fast RAM.

PP040 is a very VERY rare beastie indeed.

The A2000 can (using is CPU Accelerator port) have upto an 060@50mhz, there exists some very VERY rare 060-PPC prototype boards so there exists the possability to have an 060@50 with a PPC603@150mhz as well. (alas this PPC developer board is 4 time as rare than the PP040!!)

Here is a list of 51 CPU Accelerators for the A2000

4. can a500/2000 do AGA (after mods)?

No, there wont be any AGA, but you can get a retargetable grahpics card and use this for a 16/24bit workbench and system legal applications and some games upto 1280x1024x16bit. A secondary benefit is that these cards are MUCH faster than ECS or AGA and provide a Chunky display buffer too, so games that use C2P (Chunky to Planar) like doom are quicker as they dont need the CPU time for conversion.

Alas this wont be available to whdload and most games as they diretly use the ECS/AGA hardware.

5. What is involved in upgrading ECS with (fat lady) Agnus? and what is the benefit?

In the Amiga there are two distinct types of memory, CHIP RAM and FAST RAM. CHIP RAM is used by all the chips, the benefit is that they share access and data within a tight controlled loop, however because of this its slow access for any 1 chip / cpu.

The CPU has to wait its turn to access data, because of this CHIP RAM actually SLOW's the CPU down as it waits untill its turn to the memory.

FAST ram on the other hand is used solely (for the most part) by the CPU, it no longer has to wait for any custom chip before it can process data - it may still have to put data into chip and read from it, but it no longer has to use CHIP RAM to process it.

In an A500 using FAST ram (attached to the CPU port or the expansion port) will increase the speed of the machine buy a good 30% - its important to know that any memory attached to the trapdoor port on the A500 is limmited to CHIP ram ACCESSS speed so its considerd (SLOW) FAST - as it gives you more memory to play with, just its accessed a lot slower than REAL dedicated CPU memory.

Now, the original A500/2000 Agnus could only use 512KB of CHIP ram, which is quite low - but you can upgrade this to an OBESE Agnus, which is able to use 1MB of CHIP RAM, however in the A500 you will need to modify the motherboard (read here), on the A2000 if you have a Rev 4.5 or later motherboard you should already a 1MB agnus that you can use directly

Now you can take this to the next logical extreme and get another adapter that plugs into the Agnus socket and gives you upto 2MB of CHIP RAM, click here for more info

Its important to know that for a good 90% of software (games) 1.5MB CHIP is more than enough, but its always nice to have 2MB =)

18. Is there live help for amigados commands? How is it invoked? (msdos example: dir /? = brief help)

Some commands have a usage ouput in CLI, this can be invoked using "#?" i.e "cpu #?" or "format #?" but not all command programs do.

Last edited by Zetr0; 31 July 2010 at 11:46.
Old 31 July 2010, 11:50   #8
breech
Asking stupid questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetr0 View Post
epic post
Thanks for the reply. Ive been here forever but stuck in KS/WB 1.3 hell until I recently got an a2000 & decided to start upgrading them both.
Old 12 August 2010, 15:46   #9
breech
Asking stupid questions

I Found a few answers myself, but came across a few more questions, so feel free to contribute

Parallel network:
get userport.zip on xp pc and unpack, make the cable from the document in 30 mins from on old 25 core parallel cable (after butchering a perfectly good 13 core cable)
copy the .sys file to windows/system32/drivers. run userport & click its 'start' button.
get paradise.zip on pc & unpack. in dos, run [paradise file.lha]
get paradise.zip on ami & unpack. in shell, run paradise -stay.
Files will transfer to the same directory. speed is 10x faster than 192k serial.

Last edited by breech; 13 August 2010 at 14:33.
Old 12 August 2010, 19:05   #10
ajk

Quote:
21) How can I run a shell command 'hidden'? for example [paradise -stay] acts as an auto downloader whenever the pc side sends it a file.
You can have a program run separately from the shell window it is started with the help of the "run" command:

Code:
run ed RAM:test.txt
Is that what you meant? Or if you mean that you don't want to see the output of the command, you can direct it to >NIL:.

Quote:
23) my a2000 copy of classicWB differs from the same files mounted in UAE (hardware settings the same). The UAE version has these on the waorkbench screen: clearram/triangle folder/commodites handler/shell/temp/demos/games and harddisk installed does not
Not having used ClassicWB much, in fact not at all, this is just a guess - but those directories and icons seem to be "left out" on the Workbench screen. Unlike on Windows, where "Desktop" is an actual directory you can put stuff in, in Workbench such "left out" items don't actually change location on the hard drive; only the icon is displayed in a different place. This information is contained in a file called .backdrop on each hard drive partition. What has probably happened to you is that this file has been lost or somehow mangled in the transfer. You can either "leave out" all the relevant icons again, or copy the .backdrop file from your UAE installation where it is apparently working properly.

Or it could be some completely other problem. Just guessing here

Quote:
24) What is the defacto simple image editor for ami (like paint.exe is to windows) I am having difficulty editing icons. PSP on windows kind of works but getting the colours correct is difficult.
Deluxe Paint and Personal Paint are the ultimate pixel painting programs. You can get Personal Paint from Aminet.

It is actually a rather powerful program with lots of features, but the basic usage should be simple enough to learn. It's great for working with icons and you can for example grab the Workbench palette easily too.

Last edited by ajk; 14 August 2010 at 09:44.
Old 15 August 2010, 05:07   #11
breech
Asking stupid questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajk View Post
You can have a program run separately from the shell window it is started with the help of the "run" command:

Code:
run ed RAM:test.txt
Is that what you meant? Or if you mean that you don't want to see the output of the command, you can direct it to >NIL:.
Maybe I am asking the question in the wrong manner.

I dont really want to have to go to shell and type paradise -stay.
- how can I run it from a wb icon?
- how can I iconize it once it is running? (I want to avoid the large window it uses but want the application to continue running)
Paradise really is a savior but I wish it had an GUI and controlled the remote application as well.

Oh. and getting back to 8) and 9) I swapped the CIAs with a couple of good A500 ones. the keyboard drops out and the floppys were still playing up. I made a new floppy cable because I noticed the old one was a bit damaged from scraping on the PSU and the problems were reduced.
- Cleaned the disk monitor switches - disk detection is fixed.
- Floppies refuse to be booted from and harddisk will boot.
- Keyboard still drops out.

* more silly questions added

Last edited by breech; 15 August 2010 at 05:31.
Old 15 August 2010, 09:45   #12
thomas

Quote:
I dont really want to have to go to shell and type paradise -stay.
- how can I run it from a wb icon?
Make a text file containing the command line. Save it somewhere, give it an icon of type project (copy another project icon or use IconEdit) and set the default tool to C:IconX (using Icon / Information menu).

Quote:
- how can I iconize it once it is running? (I want to avoid the large window it uses but want the application to continue running)
There is no standard way to iconify a program. Some programs have a menu item to iconify. For MUI programs you can enable the iconify button in the MUI settings.

A shell window cannot be iconified. In OS 3.9 however, you can use the VNC shell instead of the normal one. The VNC window has an iconify button.
Old 15 August 2010, 14:16   #13
breech
Asking stupid questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajk View Post
This information is contained in a file called .backdrop on each hard drive partition. What has probably happened to you is that this file has been lost or somehow mangled in the transfer. You can either "leave out" all the relevant icons again, or copy the .backdrop file from your UAE installation where it is apparently working properly.
Spot on ajk, it seems to have been skipped during compression on uae.

Thanks thomas, I will give that a try. Also I found an app on aminet that is able to crudely hide windows called kwindows.

Once again, thanks for the help so far guys

Last edited by breech; 15 August 2010 at 14:24.
Old 16 August 2010, 00:31   #14
rare_j
Zone Friend

Have a look a adosbegin.Lha on aminet- amigdos for beginners. It is well written and quite thorough with a good index and examples. It answers a lot of questions.