English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 10 May 2009, 16:55   #541
hrmes

b28 and the last one posted excibit the same bug that was corrected some betas ago. It's the resolution and line mode combination that causes the screen to be too wide or too narrow.
Everything is OK when resolution=hires and linemode=double, or resolution=lores and linemode=normal, else the display is distorted.
Old 10 May 2009, 17:00   #542
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrmes View Post
b28 and the last one posted excibit the same bug that was corrected some betas ago. It's the resolution and line mode combination that causes the screen to be too wide or too narrow.
Everything is OK when resolution=hires and linemode=double, or resolution=lores and linemode=normal, else the display is distorted.
Quite minimal information here..
Old 10 May 2009, 17:14   #543
hrmes

Look at page 6 of this thread post 214.
Old 10 May 2009, 18:00   #544
hexaae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Does this work same as previously: http://files.winuae.net/beta/winuae.zip ?
No Still streched/squashed screens. In autoscale mode I tried to play with "Keep aspect ratio" and "Vert. Position" but couldn't find a solution working for all games, both in NTSC and PAL, as b27 did...

b27 with these settings was perfect IMHO and all games had correct aspect ratio, even NTSC games:

-1 hour later-
No NTSC games are not ok

Last edited by hexaae; 10 May 2009 at 20:36. Reason: 1 hour later
Old 10 May 2009, 18:01   #545
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexaae View Post
No Still streched/squashed screens. In autoscale mode I tried to play with "Keep aspect ratio" and "Vert. Position" but couldn't find a solution working for all games, both in NTSC and PAL, as b27 did...
Then MORE INFORMATION please because I do not see anything different, in any modes. Even comparison screenshots between versions (including filter settings) would help much.

Last edited by Toni Wilen; 10 May 2009 at 18:07.
Old 10 May 2009, 18:25   #546
hrmes

From what I can see when the aspect ratio is set to 'disabled' the resolution and linemode settings don't cause any changes to the screen aspect ratio (distortion).
Testing with auto scaling on. Will post some screenshots soon.
Old 10 May 2009, 19:30   #547
hexaae

Quote:
Then MORE INFORMATION please because I do not see anything different, in any modes. Even comparison screenshots between versions (including filter settings) would help much.
Tell me first what Display properties should I set: Resolution = Hi-Res (Normal) + Line mode = double?
As hrmes said autoscale and FS aspects change with different Display settings...

Last edited by hexaae; 10 May 2009 at 20:06.
Old 10 May 2009, 19:37   #548
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Tell me first what Display properties should I set: Resolution = Hi-Res (Normal) + Line mode = double?
As hrmes said autoscale and FS aspects change with different Display settings...
I can now confirm "non 1:1" line mode does not work but you never said you used those -> does the aspect ratio problem happen when hires and double mode?
Old 10 May 2009, 19:39   #549
hrmes

Quote:
does the aspect ratio problem happen when hires and double mode?
Not here. And neither with lores and linemode=normal
Old 10 May 2009, 20:09   #550
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Which means it must be some specific situation. Does everything work the same if "keep aspect ratio" is not checked? (not including lores/non-double issue)
Old 10 May 2009, 20:23   #551
hexaae

Quote:
Which means it must be some specific situation. Does everything work the same if "keep aspect ratio" is not checked? (not including lores/non-double issue)
I'm having an headache
No, some PAL games are ok, some others are not, but also with "keep aspect ratio" ON is the same for me...
b27 kept always correct proportions with all games instead.
Old 10 May 2009, 23:35   #552
hrmes

Quote:
Does everything work the same if "keep aspect ratio" is not checked? (not including lores/non-double issue)
The effect of "keep aspect ratio" is not consistent. It makes the 15:9, 16:9 and 16:10 ratio look correct when using hires-normal, but when using hires-double I think it has a negative effect as the screen looks narrower than with the 4:3 ratio.
Old 11 May 2009, 08:29   #553
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrmes View Post
The effect of "keep aspect ratio" is not consistent. It makes the 15:9, 16:9 and 16:10 ratio look correct when using hires-normal, but when using hires-double I think it has a negative effect as the screen looks narrower than with the 4:3 ratio.
"keep aspect ratio" is not really supposed to do anything interesting anymore, it just does "something" that is not what it did few releases ago.

I guess the best thing it can do is to take the ratio of "internal" (instead of "external") display buffer which should automatically fix ratio of autoscaled display.
Old 11 May 2009, 10:51   #554
hexaae

Then I won't set "keep aspect ratio" anymore...

1280x800 desktop. Hi-Res, Line mode = double.
Pang (PAL) shows a little bit squashed bubbles in 16:10 for me (setting 16:9 look perfect):

...but street lamp in Batman Caped Crusader (PAL) looks vertically stretched:

NTSC games like Archer MacLeans' Pool are ok (remember to use NTSC tooltype).

Shouldn't 16:10 (if you have a 16:10 screen resolution) show correct aspect for all games? Or I misunderstood that option and it simply resizes screen resolution to fill borders without aspect correction?

Last edited by hexaae; 11 May 2009 at 13:27.
Old 11 May 2009, 15:01   #555
hrmes

Quote:
"I guess the best thing it can do is to take the ratio of "internal" (instead of "external") display buffer which should automatically fix ratio of autoscaled display.
I think this is the only solution in order to have a proper aspect ratio when autoscaling is active.
Old 11 May 2009, 15:53   #556
Ed Cruse

I think everybody is misunderstanding what aspect-ratio setting is for. It's purpose is strictly to compensate for the physical aspect ratio of the monitor, not the source aspect ratio. Example: My monitor is a 5:4, it makes everything look a little stretched, so I select 5:4 and it squishes the display down and makes everything look correct. I can even measure the horiz and vert with a ruler and it comes out 4:3. As far as I know most if not all NTSC and PAL games were designed to look correct when displayed in their respective display modes on a 4:3 CRT monitor. I have a program that draws PAL circles, and NTSC circles. Both circles look round when displayed in their respective display modes on my CRT monitor with aspect-ratio disabled. Both look stretched on my 5:4 monitor, selecting 5:4 then makes them look round. The only time you should be using 16:10 or 16:9 is if you actually have a monitor with those dimensions, really wide.

Is this not correct?
Old 11 May 2009, 16:22   #557
hexaae

Yes, that's what I've understood.
The problem is that even if I select 16:10 (and I do have a 1280x800 laptop display) some games (PAL or NTSC) are ok and others are not. I expected instead to have always correct aspect ratio (= adapted to my 16:10 monitor) with every game and doesn't matter if NTSC or PAL.

See my example above with Pang and Batman Caped Crusader: I've set 16:10 accordingly to my 1280x800 monitor resolution (and I always use fullwindow mode for WUAE), both are PAL, but one is squashed and the other is vertically streched (!?).

BTW, what's the diff between Filter/Automatic scaling = scaling or resize?

Last edited by hexaae; 11 May 2009 at 16:33.
Old 11 May 2009, 16:36   #558
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Cruse View Post
Is this not correct?
Exactly

Quote:
Yes, that's what I've understood.
The problem is that even if I select 16:10 (and I do have a 1280x800 laptop display) some games (PAL or NTSC) are ok and others are not. I expected instead to have always correct aspect ratio (= adapted to my 16:10 monitor) with every game and doesn't matter if NTSC or PAL.
Only valid way to test is to compare to 4:3 display. (or perhaps use 4:3 windowed mode)

Quote:
BTW, what's the diff between Filter/Automatic scaling = scaling or resize?
Try in normal windowed mode.
Old 11 May 2009, 16:58   #559
hexaae

Quote:
Only valid way to test is to compare to 4:3 display. (or perhaps use 4:3 windowed mode)
I use HiRes (Normal) + Line = double + automatic scaling.
As you can see from my examples above it's clear that aspect ratio is wrong in both PAL games...
Also if I set Windowed and 4:3 (or 16:10) some games still have incorrect aspect ratio. Windowed + automatic scaling = resize looks good and always re-adapts aspect ratio and window dimensions. Some NTSC games have incorrect ratio though

Quote:
Try in normal windowed mode.
Interesting! Using "resize" it's always re-adapted correctly in windowed mode. No more squashed/stretched display, at least for PAL games.

Last edited by hexaae; 11 May 2009 at 17:05.
Old 11 May 2009, 21:23   #560
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
I use HiRes (Normal) + Line = double + automatic scaling.
As you can see from my examples above it's clear that aspect ratio is wrong in both PAL games...
Also if I set Windowed and 4:3 (or 16:10) some games still have incorrect aspect ratio. Windowed + automatic scaling = resize looks good and always re-adapts aspect ratio and window dimensions. Some NTSC games have incorrect ratio though
Didn't you read above post? In automatic scaling "correct" aspect ratio is not guaranteed. It never was. (It can get more or less "correct" when "keep aspect ratio" gets fixed)