English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 11 April 2008, 16:20   #21
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

I have to say NO, it's not worth investing in a real Amiga if you are not nostalgic about said platform.

Instead invest in a USB Competition Pro Joystick, a monitor capable of doing 50Hz, PowerStrip and WinUAE
Old 11 April 2008, 22:33   #22
Adropac2
Zone Friend

Love my A1200's but if i had no choice i'd be happy just using Winuae quite honestly.It's certainly nice having the real thing but not essential in my book.

I use ClassicWB and WHDload for both.My real machine is 6mb and standard 68020 - mostly fine with most games i remember.

Flashcard for hardrive is also reccomended and actually very cheap and easy to set up if indeed you do go the real route
Old 11 April 2008, 22:55   #23
Crackersixx

There's absolutely no reason to buy the hardware if you haven't had one already.

All you accomplish is spending money.

The people thay buy (myself included) the actual hardware, do it for the nostalgia factor, and to satisfy an un-explainable attachment to the hardware we used growing up.

You don't have that issue.
Purchasing the hardware will:

* cost money
* not improve your experience (you will still get crashes/guru's often)
* Introduce obstacles such as the 15/31khz dilemma, which are not a cheap solve
* PAL/NTSC issues
* Make you want more expensive hardware (accelerators, ram expansions, sd/ff, etc..)
* And probably dissapoint you because winuae is so much more powerful on modern machines than the speediest Amiga's are.

That's the truth of the matter...
Old 11 April 2008, 23:11   #24
Paul_s
Stuck in the 80s

Happy

If you like to play Amiga games or use app software then why not. They are relatively cheap nowadays.

I've not bothered with WHDload as I don't get to use mine as often as I'd like so just wang a floppy in the drive and away I go - it's far more nostalgic that way with the floppy accessing for me (okay, it's slower but I don't give a funk ) But it's cheap and cheerful gaming

Anywho buy a 1200 and away you go I wouldn't really bother with the A4000 route unless you know it's a clean and fully working machine - only buy the high-end stuff from collectors imo.
Old 11 April 2008, 23:19   #25
ungi
Amiga Games Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CongealedWallrs View Post
Thank you everyone! I knew that posting here would simply complicate my decision. Now I really do want one!!

But I want an A4000, how much should they sell for? I saw a beauty but she was pricey.
I would not suggest you buy an Amiga 4000. Costs too much, and is crappy for just gaming. Believe me, I had two of them, sold both, but still have 7 Amiga 1200s.

For gaming, nothing beats a real Amiga 1200, with harddisk, accelerator (030, 8 or 16MB RAM), an old monitor, a good joystick and of course whdload. Far more fun than any emulator!!! And actually rather cheap to buy.
Old 11 April 2008, 23:44   #26
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ungi View Post
Amiga 4000 [snip] is crappy for just gaming.
No it isnt.

The fun is in the games, not the hardware.
Old 11 April 2008, 23:53   #27
vodley
Zone Friend

The WinUAE experience is very good, and only improving, both in code and hardware.
Old 12 April 2008, 11:11   #28
Charlie
. . Mouse . .

Hi CongealedWallrs, Welcome.

Is your house already full of retro-computers?
Do you still miss that home computer your parents got rid of years ago..?
Then, yes, get a 'real' Amiga

WinUAE will do you fine if you don't have that yearning for hardware.

I'd say a somewhat upgraded A1200 (or A600 if you're a glutton for punishment) is the way to go.
Unless you *want* a big-box Amiga I don't think one will give you anything extra that warrants the hassle/expence.
Doesn't 'high-end' Amiga use require a big-box..? A few years ago - maybe. Now, I'd say WinUAE covers that, or:
*cough*
-Amithlon-
or
-X-Amiga-

Just to complicate things for you a bit further.
I've got two A1200s which get almost no use... beyond being the subject of occ hardware hackery.

My CD32, however, gets a lot of use.
(helped by having about 100 boxed originals)
Cheap(er), easy(er) to use. Burn one of the very nice compilations that's about and away you go...
...you'll need to use good quality media to help out the CD32's old laser or maybe replace that with a better one.

-Don't read the next bit if you've got a weak constitution-

Go to fleaBay and buy an Acorn A3010 with HDD.
Why???
It doesn't hurt to be different & compared to C= stuff these are dirt-cheap.
(most of the best Amiga games were ported to the RiscOS platform)

...so he went forth with his opinions and verily in due season he was shot down in flames.
Old 12 April 2008, 13:27   #29
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

I personally use WinUae, i can have Amiga configurations that i could never afford through hardware. The only thing i would suggest that you buy whether you go down the emulation or the hardware route is Whdload, worth every penny.
Old 12 April 2008, 13:29   #30
Ironclaw
Banned

NOT worth it in my opinion and for MANY MANY MANY reasons which I've posted in other similar threads like this. An Amiga is only good for nostalgia, for some, I get the same feeling with WinUAE anyway .

WinUAE all the way!!!!
Old 12 April 2008, 19:27   #31
Paul_s
Stuck in the 80s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
-Don't read the next bit if you've got a weak constitution-

Go to fleaBay and buy an Acorn A3010 with HDD.
Why???
It doesn't hurt to be different & compared to C= stuff these are dirt-cheap.
(most of the best Amiga games were ported to the RiscOS platform)

...so he went forth with his opinions and verily in due season he was shot down in flames.
Burn him, burn him! Herotic!

Old 18 April 2008, 21:56   #32
paranoid
Phone Zen

A little late, perhaps, but I'll chime in.

First, I'd disagree with Crackersixx that it's only nostalgia. I went through a phase where I bought up a bunch of old computers to see what they were like. You can't really get that from an emulator in the same way. It's sort of like the drive clicking sound in WinUAE and scanlines. They can do a great job in enhancing the experience, but it's still never quite perfect. There's the feel of the Amiga mouse, maybe, an actual "help" key that never seems to actually give any help.. I think someone might really enjoy that experience over an emulator if they've never used an Amiga before. It's also the case that no matter how perfect an emulator is, you can never be fully 100% sure there isn't some bug that caused a crash or incompatibility. (When a real Amiga crashes you get to wonder if something's overheating or a chip is failing.. )

But, truth be told, I'd say go with WinUAE (providing you have a computer that'll run it well, which isn't a lot actually). I've got a 500 and a 1200, but would rather the desk space and I enjoy the conveniences of WinUAE too much (like the turbo function for disks, transferring files is just drag and drop from a Windows directory, etc etc). I also figure it's going to run everything I'd like to it perfectly fine. Plus, with JIT and Picasso96 I've (sort of) got a pretty sweet Amiga.
Old 18 April 2008, 22:37   #33
CongealedWallrs

I'm really tempted to buy a 1200! Especially after reading a lot of these replies. The only thing stopping me is having the space for another setup (a PC takes up lots of space). And also the fact that I have never owned one before and so picking the right one seems like a daunting task.
Old 18 April 2008, 23:28   #34
Ironclaw
Banned

Quote:
I'm really tempted to buy a 1200! Especially after reading a lot of these replies. The only thing stopping me is having the space for another setup (a PC takes up lots of space). And also the fact that I have never owned one before and so picking the right one seems like a daunting task.
Save the money and use WinUAE instead. With WinUAE you will get ALL models and as much memory you could ever need. You will have a nifty savestate function, turbo speed disk loading, more space in your apartment, less power consumption, harddrive space only limited to your PC harddrive, easier access to games and programs as you just download them with your PC browser, if you would like to record/capture screenshots/video, WinUAE has the perfect built-in video recorder, built-in music ripper (decent one anyway as it doesn't rip that many) and the list goes on and on and on .

Just thought I would mention the above as you are so close to your decision and not 100% sure yet .
Old 19 April 2008, 13:56   #35
fc.studio
Cat lover

Real Amiga is real feeling. WinUAE is simulator Amiga feeling.
Old 19 April 2008, 17:40   #36
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Says someone who obviously has never tried WinUAE with a joystick, V-Sync on and 50Hz Full Screen
Old 19 April 2008, 18:34   #37
fc.studio
Cat lover

The above, obviously, is only MY feeling. WinUAE is surely a great work, but for me to use it is like to play Monopoli on a computer: it could be better and better, but to throw real dice and handle real paper cards give me another (better) feeling.

I would suggest WinUAE for space and cost problems, but I believe you can't consider yourself an Amiga user with it.
Old 19 April 2008, 19:35   #38
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

If I had a fast enough computer for the software filters I think it would be even closer experience to the real thing.

My 2.4GHz Pentium 4 Northwood crawls on anything other than NULL FILTER
Old 21 April 2008, 01:31   #39
CongealedWallrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by fc.studio View Post
I would suggest WinUAE for space and cost problems, but I believe you can't consider yourself an Amiga user with it.
Can't argue with that. I don't really consider myself an Amiga user but I am an Amiga enthusiast and Amiga Emulation Fan!

I lack the desire and more importantly the technical skills necessary for looking after a real Amiga. If I were to buy one I fear that it would be wasted on me since I have never owned one before.

And Ironclaw, thank you for presenting the "other side" of this discussion. You are obviously another Emulation Fan!
Old 21 April 2008, 07:49   #40
Ironclaw
Banned

Quote:
And Ironclaw, thank you for presenting the "other side" of this discussion. You are obviously another Emulation Fan!
Yup, after trying both, how can I not be .