English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 19 June 2019, 20:27   #241
Higgy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbilander View Post

Personally I think the A500 case is too big for housing such a tiny card like the Vampire V4 standalone, see attached image. I'd rather have it in a mini-case, more portable that way but that's just me.
I am thinking standalone in A1200 case with Keyrah. Can always use hot glue/3D printed adapter to hold in case.
I am a little worried about buying a V1200 in case my A1200 breaks. Then I have to source another A1200 motherboard (costly and rising in price). Whereas if I just have a standalone I am just relying on the keyboard and if it ready goes wrong I can just use the standalone with USB keyboard.
I really like using a CRT with period hardware, but I am not sure if standalone is digital out only?
Old 19 June 2019, 23:39   #242
slaapliedje

So I think there is some confusion out there. From what I've found in multiple places (and maybe it was already talked about here in this very thread) but there is supposed to be an add-on version of the V4 for 500/600/1000/2000 then 1200, right? Instead of just the stand alone version?
I'd like some of the features of the V4 (namely more memory, faster CPU, etc), instead of getting a V2 for the A500+ I have on the way.
Wish I could find a release date too for the V4. Granted not even the V2 seems to have a lot of availability.
Old 20 June 2019, 00:08   #243
jbilander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy View Post
I am thinking standalone in A1200 case with Keyrah. Can always use hot glue/3D printed adapter to hold in case.
I am a little worried about buying a V1200 in case my A1200 breaks. Then I have to source another A1200 motherboard (costly and rising in price). Whereas if I just have a standalone I am just relying on the keyboard and if it ready goes wrong I can just use the standalone with USB keyboard.
I really like using a CRT with period hardware, but I am not sure if standalone is digital out only?

A1200 cases are smaller and looks nice so yeah, but no molded cradle and cutouts taylored to fit all the V4 standalone's extenders USB/RJ45/HDMI/MicroSD like the new A500 cases comes with. I mean you can of course mod a A1200 case yourself and use existing holes and drill new holes as best as possible, but it won't be like injection molded quality. I believe kippers new keyboard has usb as well as pcb membrane connectors, so that would probably be the best solution in terms of putting a nice high quality mechanical keyboard in a A1200 case (or in a A500 case for that matter). The two db9 mouse/joystick ports on the V4 standalone pcb could easily be extended to the existing positions of the A1200 case so I don't think you would need a keyrah unless you're going to use an old A1200 keyboard with pcb membrane only. Yes hdmi out, you would need to convert it if you're going analog.

My take on this...3d print a case that fits like a glove around the V4 standalone card and all ports are nicely exposed without extenders, use a Filco Majestouch-2 Tenkeyless keyboard with it, brown or blue switches, and hook up a Benq BL912 monitor through hdmi->dvi and enable those scanlines when gaming on the V4 standalone. Nice...
Old 20 June 2019, 00:20   #244
studio460

Quote:
I think you'll have to get one through the normal amiga retro stores, such as AOTL . . .
That's what I thought since AOTL is listed as their US distributor, but I just e-mailed AOTL and they said they will not be selling the Vampire V4 standalone?

Quote:
Personally I think the A500 case is too big for housing such a tiny card like the Vampire V4 standalone . . .
Thanks for posting the picture! Yeah, not sure why they chose the A500 case for the V4 mold. Would've preferred the A1200 form factor, or even better, the even more compact A600.
Old 20 June 2019, 00:23   #245
Dunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puggsy View Post
Bro I have a modern computer, I don't need to suffer like that ;-)
Might as well use WinUAE then
Old 20 June 2019, 01:47   #246
d4rk3lf

Quote:
Originally Posted by studio460 View Post
Yeah, not sure why they chose the A500 case for the V4 mold. Would've preferred the A1200 form factor, or even better, the even more compact A600.
Are they choose A500 case definitely, or it's just an option?

In my opinion, or, if I were in their place, I'd made some unique case for Vampire standalone. Something in between retro and modern look.
Exactly like Sharp x68000! In my opinion, that's perfect balance between modern and retro look.

If I wanted to push it even more (so I hit both nostalgia and marketing), I'd made 2 versions of Vampire standalone.
- Tower version (design based on X68000)
- Keyboard version (again, I'd try to make a cool keyboard similar design).
(of course, keyboard version would be much weaker in performance)

Now, everyone must admit that this is very original idea, not seen before.
Old 20 June 2019, 01:48   #247
Ledfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy View Post

The V4 Standalone only has a HDMI out...
Old 20 June 2019, 01:52   #248
Ledfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by studio460 View Post
That's what I thought since AOTL is listed as their US distributor, but I just e-mailed AOTL and they said they will not be selling the Vampire V4 standalone?

Thanks for posting the picture! Yeah, not sure why they chose the A500 case for the V4 mold. Would've preferred the A1200 form factor, or even better, the even more compact A600.

Damn, was really hoping AOTL would be a distrib so we would have a US Distrib option. I had to get my V2.2 for my A500 from Vesalia, which is fine, just would be nice to not have to deal with exchange rates and international shipping when ordering...
Old 20 June 2019, 01:59   #249
Ledfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaapliedje View Post
So I think there is some confusion out there. From what I've found in multiple places (and maybe it was already talked about here in this very thread) but there is supposed to be an add-on version of the V4 for 500/600/1000/2000 then 1200, right? Instead of just the stand alone version?
I'd like some of the features of the V4 (namely more memory, faster CPU, etc), instead of getting a V2 for the A500+ I have on the way.
Wish I could find a release date too for the V4. Granted not even the V2 seems to have a lot of availability.

The Standalone model will be the first released. The A500 (and possibly 600?) model will be next since the only difference is that they will include the header to plug into the 68000 and will remove the 2 joystick ports off the board. It's likely the same board will also work in the 1000/2000 (ideally).

The A1200 model they've been showing is based on the Cyclone 3 chip (the same one in the current V2 for the A500 and A600) and as such is going to be a V2 unit and have the same 128MB RAM. This isn't as big a deal since the A1200 already has AGA support, so they'll just use the 1200's custom chips rather than trying to replicate them inside the FPGA, and therefor they can get away with the smaller Cyclone 3 FPGA to do it. They've said that there likely will be a V4 version at some point down the line that will be based on the V4 baseline with the Cyclone 5 FPGA to give it more memory.
Old 20 June 2019, 07:45   #250
Steril707
Tigerskunk!

Really on the fence, if I should get the V1200 v2 or wait for the v4 version of it, which will probably take another two years...
Old 20 June 2019, 12:46   #251
grond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steril707 View Post
Really on the fence, if I should get the V1200 v2 or wait for the v4 version of it, which will probably take another two years...
Of course, you can wait forever but the V2-V1200 will remain a very attractive option even once the V4-V1200 will be available because the A1200 has got AGA anyway so that the limited size of the FPGA won't be as much of a problem as for the V2-V500/600. Furthermore the card will be faster than all those superexpensive 1260s out there and add RTG. As things are, you will still be waiting for the V4 when the team announces a V5 to come real soon[tm] and you'll be in the very same situation again...
Old 20 June 2019, 14:49   #252
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
I dunno, if you're into Lightwave, Cinema4D or Video titling you might find a Vampire comes in very handy?
If I remember well LightWave 5 does not work with the Vampire, I think for the FPU (not compatible 100%), then are you sure that Lightwave, Cinema4D work well without problems on the Vampire?

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 20 June 2019 at 14:56.
Old 20 June 2019, 15:44   #253
sean_sk
Gimmemore Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
If I remember well LightWave 5 does not work with the Vampire, I think for the FPU (not compatible 100%), then are you sure that Lightwave, Cinema4D work well without problems on the Vampire?
This is not an issue with the V4 since it has a full FPU.
Old 20 June 2019, 16:53   #254
TuKo
Apollo Team

Quote:

Where does that come from ?
Old 20 June 2019, 16:59   #255
pcotter

Quote:

ahaha! Please subscribe my channel :-)

[ Show youtube player ]

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 20 June 2019, 17:03   #256
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuKo View Post
Where does that come from ?

https://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=LightWave+5+Apollo+Vampire
Old 20 June 2019, 17:06   #257
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcotter View Post
ahaha! Please subscribe my channel :-)
Are you sure that the features of the LightWave 5.x FPU version ? this one:

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 20 June 2019, 17:06   #258
TuKo
Apollo Team

Quote:

A Google search, and ?
Old 20 June 2019, 17:14   #259
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuKo View Post
A Google search, and ?
I don't remember well where I had read some tests where LightWave 5.x FPU didn't work on the Vampire, but there are also Games and FPU Demo that don't work well on the Vampire, some vampire user might confirm it. Now with the V4 maybe the problems will be solved, we wait for the first tests to confirm full compatibility.
Old 20 June 2019, 17:15   #260
Dunny

Well, I used to use LW and C4D without an FPU on a Blizzard 1230-IV so I assume that the actual CPU compatibility isn't [i]that/i] bad, and with the V4 will likely be a lot faster than the old 1200 was.