English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 26 April 2019, 11:29   #61
sneckburger

I received a new Furia to test from Lotharek (Przemyslaw) and its works without fault.
Though I've only managed to test it for about half hour so far. But it's far more stable than the previous one so I'm chuffed to bits.
I did notice the replacement had an extra jumper on the underside, not sure what its for though? I'll try and get a pic up.
Old 26 April 2019, 11:45   #62
project23
Used Register

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneckburger View Post
I received a new Furia to test from Lotharek (Przemyslaw) and its works without fault.
Though I've only managed to test it for about half hour so far. But it's far more stable than the previous one so I'm chuffed to bits.
I did notice the replacement had an extra jumper on the underside, not sure what its for though? I'll try and get a pic up.
Yeah do let me know all the jumper orientations if thats okay?

You can just describe them - ie... SW1 to the RIGHT, SW2 to the UP position etc, as you read it - saves you taking pics.

I take it U16 is still unpopulated? I don't know what that was for, but its on the old ones and absent from the newer ones. Maybe he incorporated its function into the CPLD.

Glad it's working! Clearly there really are buggy ones out there then.

John
Old 26 April 2019, 11:53   #63
sneckburger

Quote:
Originally Posted by project23 View Post
Yeah do let me know all the jumper orientations if thats okay?

You can just describe them - ie... SW1 to the RIGHT, SW2 to the UP position etc, as you read it - saves you taking pics.

I take it U16 is still unpopulated? I don't know what that was for, but its on the old ones and absent from the newer ones. Maybe he incorporated its function into the CPLD.

Glad it's working! Clearly there really are buggy ones out there then.

John

It would be easier for me to put the pictures up. I try and get them up tonight.

He sent me a series of screen shots of the card I sent back on test for over 3 hours without errors. Something called MBRTest-2 By MicroBotics.
So maybe its a firmware issue with older cards?
Old 26 April 2019, 12:17   #64
project23
Used Register

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneckburger View Post
It would be easier for me to put the pictures up. I try and get them up tonight.

He sent me a series of screen shots of the card I sent back on test for over 3 hours without errors. Something called MBRTest-2 By MicroBotics.
So maybe its a firmware issue with older cards?
Maybe - when did you purchase yours originially? Did he say that your new one had updated firmware?

I do believe Lotharek, he seems a decent guy. It's very strange though that he's not getting problems, and so many over here are.

I do have a xilinx programmer. I wonder if he'd let me flash it myself if i still have no joy after the rebuild. Then we'd know for sure it was the firmware. Depends if he'd be happy to do that or not.

Anyway thanks for the replies. I doubt that the jumper changes make all that much difference but it'd be appreciated anyway! I take it the oscillator is still 66.6mhz?

John
Old 26 April 2019, 19:09   #65
project23
Used Register

Just thought i'd add pics of the 100% genuine FG25 in case anybody else is trying to source one for their Furia or otherwise.

Note that the text on the chip likely changes as time goes on, but if you're after a genuine FG25 from the mid 90's, particularly from the Indonesia fab, it'll almost certainly look like the pics below.

Hope that's of help to someone.

On the Furia front i've gotten the CPLD on the board, as well as half of the caps and all of the resistors. When I get it finished i'll post up a new topic with my results and any tips.

Cheers all,

John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SingleShot0006.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	297.3 KB
ID:	62911   Click image for larger version

Name:	SingleShot0007.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	279.5 KB
ID:	62912  
Old 27 April 2019, 11:31   #66
sneckburger

See pics attached of the 2 Furias.
Dont know if the 2nd one had a later firmware on it or not, but he did ask me if I wanted (or could) do my own update before i sent the 1st one back.
I bought the Furia last year around April. Its good support hes offerd for it and I cant complain as I thought I'd voided the warrenty by opening out the mounting holes.

Edit.
See the extra jumper next to the socket that is missing on the 1st card... What's it for??
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1st top.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	634.4 KB
ID:	62920   Click image for larger version

Name:	1st bot.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	531.6 KB
ID:	62921   Click image for larger version

Name:	2nd top.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	548.9 KB
ID:	62922   Click image for larger version

Name:	2nd bot.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	546.5 KB
ID:	62923  
Old 27 April 2019, 13:07   #67
project23
Used Register

Hiya Sneckburger,

Thanks for taking the time to take those pics - they're actually a great reference incase I bugger up and forget where something goes.

I bought mine around April-ish last year too, and its great to know he'll allow people to update themselves, so i'll get in touch with him if i get this running. (Stable or not).

As far as the jumper goes... There is one present on the first board, but it just isn't easily accessible. There is a short piece of wire bridging the connections on the heatsink side of the board. It's the same on my board. I can't really see this being a problem to be honest - I think it's just selecting the vcc to supply to the ram, either 5v or 3v3.

Cheers again,

John
Old 30 April 2019, 11:47   #68
sneckburger

Still not had much time to mess around with this but had another little play and still stable for nearly an hour after leaving intro of Frontier running and 10 mins of gameplay.

Was thinking of installing classic WB but not sure which version would go best with this card? I've upgraded the Rom to 3.1 and only plan on playing WDHLOAD stuff on it.
Old 03 May 2019, 11:16   #69
project23
Used Register

Just a quick update...

I did get the Furia finished this week. Had a few memory problems, but I've got it pretty stable in diagrom, passing all the memory tests etc.

The trouble is i'm now having stability issues on the 600 without the Furia installed. The 68k has had the Furia on and off so many times it definitely needs some fresh solder. If i give it a little press the problems go away.

Anyway what's really worrying me is how bloody hot the 68k, Agnes, and i think Paula? (top left) are getting even without the Furia. I don't know if there's a short somewhere, but for some reason i'm missing the -12v rail. I've had a bit of a probe around but can't see any obvious problems - I'm guessing a bit of stray solder has gotten in somewhere?

Anyway - i'm gunna wipe my hands clean of this for a while. It's just setback after setback. I've gotten the Furia to run fine in Diagrom, and it'll happily sit on the kickstart screen forever provided I literally bolt the thing down, but ask it to boot from either disk or floppy and the thing just throws up.

At this point given the inherent problems with my 600, i think the furia could actually be okay and the amiga itself now needs a good seeing to. If it's not one thing it's the other, eh?

Anyway I have the TF530 i wanna finish, and the A314 to get playing about with. I'm probably gunna work on those for a bit and once I actually have something working, return to the 600 and see if I can suss it out. Fresh mind and the like.

If anyone has any input on this i'd appreciate it. I haven't ruled out the PSU - i've just acquired a rev6 500 with a pico psu, so i'm gunna give that a whirl and see if i get flatter rails.

Does everybody elses chipset on the 600 run so hot? I literally couldn't keep my finger on Paula. I don't remember it being that bad? The heat was soaking through to the Furia and making me falsely assume it was that.

Ah well - in the end a sort of bitter sweet story so far. I've a probably-working Furia, and a probably-busted 600 as oppose to the other way around, lol.

Cheers guys, when I come back to this I will update with any progress.

John

EDIT: Yeah the -12v rail is shorted to ground. That'll explain all the bloody heat surely? I'll give it a quick seeing to later, but honestly i'm just about done with my adventures with Furia for now, lol.

EDIT 2: Denise, right? Not Paula.

Last edited by project23; 03 May 2019 at 12:29.
Old 03 May 2019, 15:38   #70
project23
Used Register

Okay final update for reference before I put this thing away for a while.

Sorted the mainboard out and gave the 68k some fresh solder. A600 is fine now.

Furia seems okay until you put either the SD2IDE card in, which returns a checksum error, or until you put a disk in the drive, in which case it just rapid-fires the heads like it's a machine gun. Both are fine without the Furia.

Obviously this is now a Furia issue, but for the life of me I can't figure out where. It could potentially be that the CPLD is damaged, or the socket is no longer tight enough. I have checked every single chip for continuity between pins, and every cap for a failed short. Everything looks and tests fine.

I'm gunna mothball this whole thing until i've completed some other projects. Moving all those parts over to a new PCB was always ambitious for me, but the uncertainty as to the failure point, and my lack of options for testing has left me pretty fed up with it.

In a few weeks/months maybe i'll have some better understanding or fresh ideas, and be able to come back to it. So very strange because I do feel like i'm 90% there - without the firmware I can't really check the sanity of the CPLD. It certainly seems that IO operations are the problem - the proc and memory test fine whilst in diagrom.

Okay guys, sorry I wont be able to help with your troubleshooting. Like I said above if i do ever return to this and get it working, i'll try and help out.

John
Old 04 May 2019, 01:17   #71
robinsonb5

Quote:
Furia seems okay until you put either the SD2IDE card in, which returns a checksum error, or until you put a disk in the drive, in which case it just rapid-fires the heads like it's a machine gun. Both are fine without the Furia.

Power supply problem, maybe? Are the custom chips still getting unreasonably hot?
Old 04 May 2019, 02:58   #72
project23
Used Register

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinsonb5 View Post
Power supply problem, maybe? Are the custom chips still getting unreasonably hot?
Hey, thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately i've now put the A600 back in storage while I concentrate on the A500...

That being said, i'm still switching between the same two PSU's - one old heavy A500 PSU and a lightweight A500+ PSU, so surely any big PSU problems will show up when I finish and run the TF530 too. If that happens i'll get the A600 out and look again.

I'm not giving up completely on the Furia - i'm gunna try and get hold of the CPLD binaries and if necessary buy some brand new passives and a socket and give it another go on the other blank PCB I have. There is a chance i've buggered something like the CPLD with the stresses of desoldering. That being said for it to work without issue through the diagrom tests would perhaps be unlikely in that case.

All I know is a need a break from it, lol. I wan't to work on something that doesn't continually disappoint me. Then when i'm refreshed i can come to it with a more positive outlook.

I'll keep an eye on those PSU's though - thinking of getting a genuine 90w picoPSU (i think this one is a copy - is it true that these aren't very good?) and doing away with the old bricks anyway.

Thanks for the suggestion!

John
Old 08 June 2019, 18:30   #73
project23
Used Register

Thought i'd add some closure to this thread as last night I finally got this Furia working. I bought some new old stock TSOP memory to replace the SOJ stuff I had and my stability issues went away. I then had an intermittent error with one particular chip, and after replacing that with another new one i've now run MBRTest-2 for 14 hours with no errors (see image).

To summarise everything as concisely as i can...
  • Bought a Furia REV2B from AmigaStore around June of 2018.
  • Had stability issues from the get-go. Frequent crashes with system running for no more than about 20 minutes.
  • Tried a complete recap, replacing the PSU, grounding the board etc etc to no effect.
  • Ran MBRTest-2 which produced errors on the same data lines time and time again. Suspected the ram, but since I already had a replacement CPU (probably another counterfeit), swapped it out to no effect.
  • Replaced the ram. This is where I finally had some progress. I replaced the KM44C4100CK-5 with KM44C4100CK-6 (noting that other Furias pictured online already had the slightly slower memory) and suddenly found stability. MBRTest-2 ran for about 12 hours. I then ran the Frontier intro on a loop but...
  • The CPU (likely) fried. I had no heatsink on at this point, but I was forcing air over it with a fan. It is likely that this was down to the crappy replacement CPU i'd put on the board. Counterfeit or not, the original may have fared better.
  • In replacing the CPU again, a fall from a shelf resulted in a couple of damaged traces around the CPU.
  • Got in touch with Lotharek, who very generously sent me a couple of new PCBs to save me trying to repair the board.
  • At this point I packed my Amiga stuff up for a while. This was about a year ago.
  • In the meantime I got hold of an old SCSI controller with a genuine MC68EC020FG25. If i was going to re-do the board I wanted it done right.
  • Finally got around to the re-build a few weeks ago. Brought the board up in diagrom but still had stability problems.
  • Decided to replace the SOJ ram with TSOP - the reason being it is incredibly difficult to determine whether there are solder bridges or bad solder joints on the closely packed SOJ chips. My ram may have been okay, or at least I may have had a good set of 8 in my 'collection', but I wanted to rule out whatever I could.
  • Took a break to build the TF530, came back a couple of days ago to fit the TSOP memory (KM44C4100CK-6 btw). Immediately had much better stability, but...
  • Every 4 hours or so i'd get a wobbly bit on U8. It'd show up in MBRTest-2 very infrequently but never in diagrom. Replaced it with another NOS TSOP chip and...
  • Finally, the Furia seems perfectly stable... I've ran MBRTest-2 now for 14 hours like I said above, and dodgy U8 or not it hasn't crashed once in the last couple of days.

By the way - I have this running with the RAM WAIT jumper removed.

Now, I probably didn't need to change the CPU. And I stress this because the whole counterfeit CPU thing is kinda unavoidable. I'm sure Lotharek tests the boards before they're sent out, and if it works, it works... It actually seems the RAM is the greater unknown of the two. A bad CPU can be tested pretty easily but the RAM might seem fine for hours upon hours before something goes awry. Indeed Lotharek has replaced the 8 chips on the rev2b for two on the rev3 so either he has supply problems (the old chips are readily available on ebay) or believes two chips are less of a liability than one. The new chips are almost identical to the old ones (16 bits wide instead of 4).

If you're testing - test for a good long while. Systest failed to notice any problem during an 8 hour run, and MBRTest only found a problem after about four and a half hours. If you have problems with the Furia I strongly suggest that you let MBRTest-2 run for a good 12 hours. Set it to pause on errors, with something like 1024 cycles. Use all tests except float (takes a bit longer, and doesn't seem to be necessary).

Also, if you keep on removing and fitting the Furia (or any other A600 accelerator I imagine), eventually you will absolutely crack the solder on the 68k and render either the A600 useless, the Furia useless, or the A600 functional only with the Furia in place. A quick reflow of the solder will fix this. If pressing around the 68k (with or without Furia) effects system behaviour then it may well be this.

I recall some people had problems with maprom/shadowrom. I plan on testing this next and will report results in the associated thread.

The card itself is pretty good. It's a shame i've had to spend so much time and money getting it working. It's also unfortunate that those with problems often find that Lotharek is unable to find the same problems upon testing. Like i've said above, memory problems sometimes wont show until many hours into testing. It could also be that things like PSU stability effect it in unusual ways. If you're going to send this card back to Lotharek - which I do recommend if you have problems - I strongly recommend you produce a video of the issues you're having, and a video/screenshot of the specific failures in MBRTest-2 would be ideal.

Anyway thanks to all who have helped, and here's a pic of the 'new' Furia next to the damaged PCB. I suppose mine is a bit 'unique' given the test points on the 'ears' left and right of the card. Oh, and excuse the little wire bridge across U8 and U12 - one of the pads was a little buggered up and I didn't wanna waste the PCB.

John
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20190608_111800.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	194.7 KB
ID:	63419   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190608_172519.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	204.4 KB
ID:	63420  
Old 08 June 2019, 18:34   #74
Mark sealey

I burnt a new OS3.1.4 ROM but without card.device and with OS3.1 expansion library as I hear the os3.1.4 chokes the Furia.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...13580129224184
Old 08 June 2019, 18:37   #75
project23
Used Register

Thanks for letting me know. I'm using 3.9 at the moment. I did plan on getting hold of 3.1.4 for my A500 with the 534.
Old 08 June 2019, 19:29   #76
Mark sealey

Quote:
Thanks for letting me know. I'm using 3.9 at the moment. I did plan on getting hold of 3.1.4 for my A500 with the 534.

That's ok....at first it didn't work but I've put C:Furiatune shadowrom near the start of the start-up sequence....
Old 09 June 2019, 12:14   #77
sean_sk
Gimmemore Commodore

@project23

I'm glad it worked out for you mate. It seemed disheartening the obstacles you were faced with but it's good you stuck with it. Yeah it may have seemed like a waste of time and money but I guess you've learnt a lot out of the experience and will be in a better position to help others in similar situations.
Old 09 June 2019, 13:28   #78
project23
Used Register

Wellllll this morning it wont boot from SD, hahahaaaaaaaa

Boots fine from floppy. When it does boot from SD its stable still (think i've managed to boot it twice so far).

Only difference i can think of is that it was left powered down last night, whilst on previous nights it was running mem tests... It could be a heat soak thing. I've got it running the Frontier intro right now from floppy absolutely fine, so it's just the SD/IDE interface.

I'll try one of the latest firmwares yesterday. It's a xilinx chip so i think i can just use the programmer i'm using for the 530.

It never ends with this card! haha

John
Old 09 June 2019, 15:21   #79
project23
Used Register

For reasons known only to itself and its god, this thing doesn't want to boot with OS3.9.

It isn't the partition size, it isn't the partition type. It isn't scsi.device or a lack thereof.

I actually think this card just has a bad opinion of WB3.1.

Honestly this card

It's impossible to review the Furia without the words 'well, when it works'...
Old 10 June 2019, 04:15   #80
sean_sk
Gimmemore Commodore

My apologies if this is a dumb question and I can't remember if you have already mentioned this in a previous post, but have you tried a Compact Flash card? It may not be the Furia itself but it could either be the adapter or the SD Card. I know some people have had issues with certain adapters and brands of cards, myself included.