English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 29 April 2019, 16:59   #61
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
The Mega Drive version of Aladdin you actually got to play runs at 50Hz, not 60Hz. Unless you're from the USA, in which case Aladdin on the Amiga would've run at 30Hz

(My point being that comparing NTSC games vs PAL games is not quite fair, not that Aladdin on the Amiga performs better than it does).

It IS fair, because 98% of all old console games are originally designed NTSC games. With the exception of a few adapted/original developed PAL games. Aladdin PAL version runs in crippled 50Hz/50fps, with an ugly squeezed image and has the infamous big black PAL borders. So yes, 60fps/60Hz for Aladdin is the only way the game should be played on the Mega drive.

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 29 April 2019 at 17:05.
Old 29 April 2019, 17:22   #62
roondar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
It IS fair, because 98% of all old console games are originally designed NTSC games. With the exception of a few adapted/original developed PAL games. Aladdin PAL version runs in crippled 50Hz/50fps, with an ugly squeezed image and has the infamous big black PAL borders. So yes, 60fps/60Hz for Aladdin is the only way the game should be played on the Mega drive.
Sorry, but that is a clearly flawed argument.

There are NTSC Amiga's that run at 60Hz. If you want to compare NTSC games, do it correctly and compare between NTSC systems.
Old 29 April 2019, 17:33   #63
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

It's not flawed. My point, and it's very important to know that: If you buy Aladdin as a PAL MD version you actually play the original NTSC version, slowdowned to 50Hz. The only adaption for PAL was for the colors. The game also runs in the lower NTSC resolution on PAL TVs. Hence the black bars and squeezed image. This is valid for nearly all PAL console games from that time. Sometimes they corrected the music speed, but mostly not.

But saying that, i'm pretty sure Aladdin could have run in proper 50fps on PAL AGA Amigas. With all the adaption the game needed. Not sure why Jaguar wasn't skilled enough for that though.

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 29 April 2019 at 17:39.
Old 29 April 2019, 17:43   #64
roondar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
It's not flawed. My point, and it's very important to know that: If you buy Aladdin as a PAL MD version you actually play the original NTSC version, slowdowned to 50Hz. The only adaption was for PAL was for the colors. The game also runs in the lower NTSC resolution. Hence the black bars and squeezed image. This is valid for nearly all PAL console games from that time. Sometimes they corrected the music speed, but mostly not.
But it is flawed: I am not at all saying the MD PAL version is good, I'm saying you should compare the NTSC MD version to a version running on the NTSC Amiga.

You're saying we should compare the PAL Amiga version to the NTSC MD version and that is just silly. Compare like for like: run both in NTSC.
Quote:
But saying that, i'm pretty sure Aladdin could have run in proper 50fps on PAL AGA Amigas, with all the adaption the game needed. Not sure why Jaguar wasn't skilled enough for that though.
It could not have run at 50fps unless significant changes would've been made to the graphics. The Amiga version of Aladdin runs in 64 colours and uses the Blitter for the background layer. This is why it runs at 25fps.

If they had instead centered the game around the AGA Dual Playfield screenmode it most likely could've hit 50fps, but then the graphics would have had to be redone for fewer colours.

Edit: anyway, enough of this. You and me are not going to agree on this issue and this is getting off-topic again.
Old 29 April 2019, 17:47   #65
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
You're saying we should compare the PAL Amiga version to the NTSC MD version and that is just silly. Compare like for like: run both in NTSC.

No, that's the point. You can't compare them properly, because there is no real PAL MD version to compare. But the problem with Aladdin AGA is not if it's NTSC or PAL, it's the 25fps and sometimes lower instable frame rate. At least fully stable 25fps should have been possible then.

Quote:
anyway, enough of this. You and me are not going to agree on this issue and this is getting off-topic again.
It's perfectly fine within the topic, even if we are disagree.

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 29 April 2019 at 17:52.
Old 29 April 2019, 17:52   #66
roondar

Back to the topic of ports that would be nice to compare.

In light of the above discussion, I'd like to offer a decidedly Euro/PAL game up for comparison: Lotus 2.
Amiga vs Mega Drive.
Old 29 April 2019, 17:55   #67
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Yeah, Lotus 2 makes more sense. And comparing this both: The Amiga version is cleary the winner. Better colors and music/sfx. A rather boring MD port.

Quote:
Battle Squadron (slightly bigger play area but sound is worse on Megadrive).
Another sloppy port. Awful music, and there is an additional graphic layer in some levels (like a tunnel) where you can't see your space ship. Pretty stupid. Amiga wins cleary.

Chaos Engine:

This is a pretty solid MD port. Though i dont' like the saturated colors. There is a nice rom hack that patches the Amiga colors into the rom. Also fixes the too fast speed on 60fps MD.

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2754/

Wolfchild:

Apart from the good Amiga music the Mega CD version is the best. Smooth scrolling, Auto-fire option and longer levels. I really like it.

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 29 April 2019 at 18:16.
Old 29 April 2019, 18:13   #68
haynor666
retro maniac

I never like Lotus games on megadrive. For some reason they reduced resolution, make worse music and even changed titles numbering :/

As for NTSC/PAL games - many can be played on 60 Hz, after all Amiga was produced for US market and can work with 60 Hz easily.
Old 29 April 2019, 23:28   #69
xubidoo
Scoobydoo

Chaos Engine , on Megadrive , had more screen space than the Amiga Version but imo pretty poor sound, apart from that pretty much the same . Lotus on the Megadrive was very poor in comparison to the Amiga.
Old 30 April 2019, 09:37   #70
Solo Kazuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by haynor666 View Post
Fantastic Dizzy (bigger play area in PC/Megadrive ports but does it add something else?)
There are three (!) versions of Fantastic Dizzy for Amiga: OCS/ECS, AGA and CD32.

Both AGA versions are slightly different than OCS/ECS one, there is list of changes:
- Dizzy runs in harmony with the Amiga Operating System
- Dizzy is Hard-disk installable & can be run from Workbench or CLI
- Dizzy now contains a SAVEGAME option (press ESC during game...!)
- Dizzy doesn't multi-load anymore
- Dizzy will always run at 50 frames per second (hopefully!)
- Ingame screen is 32 pixels wider & 24 pixels taller than A500 version
- Background parallax plane is bigger, more colourful and it scrolls!
- NEW 24bit colour fades (check those morning-day-eve-night fades!)
- Depack times have been greatly improved
- 7 extra colours for sprites (BOBS) on the gamescreen
- The game panel has been improved to display objects & damage etc.
- Extra hidden puzzles and an improved cheatmode (look for the Symbol!)
- Various graphical enhancements (e.g. Armorog sprites,cloud masks etc.)
- Zak's Tower subgame now has parallax scrolling.
Old 02 May 2019, 02:06   #71
Marchie

This has been a fascinating thread to read, I've learnt a lot.

I'm sure glad no one told me how 'terrible' the Amiga port of SFII was because I (and all the kids in the street) played it to death and loved it, likewise MK.

I didn't play a lot of SNES/MD games back in the day, but my memory was always that they looked smeary and crap (because everyone always used RF to connect to their cheap TV, which kind of negated the colour advantage).

I thought RGB screens gave the Amiga a real-world advantage over PC too - if you play 240p game on a VGA screen the pixels are huge, clearly defined squares and just look awful, likewise if you play an Amiga game now on a VGA CRT (let alone LCD in non-native resolution - shudder) vs 1084, I used to keep asking my 386 owning friends why the pixels were so much bigger on their computers (not understanding it was really because the VGA display was technically better).

Also, comparing Amiga to MD fair enough, but Mega-CD is a bit of a no-brainer isn't it? I'm no expert but didn't the Mega-CD have a second 68k CPU plus a bunch of other sprite-scaling hardware?

As an animator, I am acutely aware of frame rates, but as a kid I never once noticed if a game was in 50 or 25 fps, did this really bother people at the time? (it seems to get brought up a LOT in these discussions)
Old 02 May 2019, 02:41   #72
005AGIMA
Re-loading. Please wait.

SUBBED And I'll binge watch over the weekend probably. So expect random comments on old videos lol. It's not me spamming. It's me catching up
Old 03 May 2019, 13:44   #73
haynor666
retro maniac

@Solo Kazuki

I never had chance to play ECS version actually because from start I used AGA edition so I tried only fast compare against megadrive, PC edition. Other version should be worse I think.

@Marchie

Street Fighter II on amiga 500 was unplayable for me despite being fantastic game (on arcade) with great graphics.
Old 03 May 2019, 14:53   #74
touko

Quote:
Also, comparing Amiga to MD fair enough, but Mega-CD is a bit of a no-brainer isn't it? I'm no expert but didn't the Mega-CD have a second 68k CPU plus a bunch of other sprite-scaling hardware?
Yes you're right !!
Old 03 May 2019, 17:29   #75
haynor666
retro maniac

And would be fair to compare CD32 with akiko to Mega CD
Old 06 May 2019, 11:37   #76
touko

Quote:
Originally Posted by haynor666 View Post
And would be fair to compare CD32 with akiko to Mega CD
Akiko seems to be a simple "C2P" chip, i don't see it as an advantage here,because the MD already has a chunky display .

The Mcd has a dedicated chip to do sprites/bgs zooming,and a second 68k @12,5mhz (14mhz for the first revisions),technicaly it perform better than CD32 in some (most) way(s), and less in others as an A1200 can do .
Old 06 May 2019, 21:50   #77
S0ulA55a551n

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatofcar View Post
I've been inspired lately to create some port comparison videos between the Amiga and its "rival" 16-bit consoles. The results have sometimes been surprising! I plan on publishing more of these as I get time--timing things so they line up correctly is not always easy. Here are the first few I've done.

[ Show youtube player ]
I was expecting the SNES to be the clear winner here, but the Amiga version is more colorful in general, possibly due to this being an AGA release. The only downside is it's missing the short cutscene before the level begins.

[ Show youtube player ]
This was a real missed opportunity for the Amiga. The soundtrack is incomplete, the charming room names are missing, and the lack of backgrounds makes the Super Nintendo version the must-play. Still, gameplay-wise, the Amiga version holds its own.
Do I remember someone saying that the amiga version does have the backgrounds on adams family and it even draws them but they are not visible, maybe the coders ran out of time, or there were some issues so blacked them out
Old 07 May 2019, 23:28   #78
d4rk3lf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marchie View Post
I'm sure glad no one told me how 'terrible' the Amiga port of SFII was because I (and all the kids in the street) played it to death and loved it, likewise MK.
I actually never considered SF2 THAT bad port.
It was slow game, but it had it's own rhythm, and if I were SF2 fan (instead of MK2), I would enjoy it, very much.... I enjoy it anyway... sometimes....
It wasn't nowhere near good port as MK2, but waaay better then many other ports (read: Final Fight).
Old 07 May 2019, 23:54   #79
DamienD
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rk3lf View Post
I actually never considered SF2 THAT bad port.
It is if you grew up in the Arcades

...and also if you had the SNES version at home around that time period
Old 07 May 2019, 23:56   #80
Hewitson

Yep, as someone who played the arcade version first, I can honestly say that the Amiga version was a massive disappointment. I mean I knew it wouldn't be great, but I thought it'd be a lot better than it was.